Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Hardcore Raiding: Time investment > Skill

I've seen this topic thrown around a lot recently so I have a possible solution that I would like to share. What if blizzard limits guilds and player accounts to 7 - 9 hours of raiding a day, with lets say four 10 minute periods to stop the clock for breaks.

Benefits:
    - A more competitive race for guilds who are willing to put in the effort but can't devote ridiculous hours a day to raiding.
    - Less physical and mental exhaustion
    - More focus on effective strategy, execution, efficiency, skill what have you rather than time investment
    - Reduced player burnout
    - Reduced incentive to do multiple alt runs
    - Bosses will last longer

If you can list any negative repercussions to this idea please share.

Can I please decide myself how much time I spend on what I want? Thank you.

Deleted
    Here's one: Why limit peoples game experience?

Hard Core raiders would just have more accounts than they do now and youd see guild names like Blood Legion 1, blood Legion 2, etc to get around that.

While it might be plausible I think it will just be worse for people who take time off work and such to raid when patches come out, this will just delay it even further so that they might not be able to take a long enough break to actually finish the raid? I don't know really since I haven't raided hardcore but seems like problems like this could occur. And I'm not sure about the actual more focus on strategy etc, it will just be more focus on getting back fast and going for more attempts quickly and if someone Dcs or have internet problems this would just make your system worse.

This isn't communist China.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    I've seen this topic thrown around a lot recently so I have a possible solution that I would like to share. What if blizzard limits guilds and player accounts to 7 - 9 hours of raiding a day, with lets say four 10 minute periods to stop the clock for breaks.

Benefits:
    - A more competitive race for guilds who are willing to put in the effort but can't devote ridiculous hours a day to raiding.
    - More focus on effective strategy, execution, efficiency, skill what have you rather than time investment
    - Reduced player burnout

Sounds like a nice idea but I don't see how it would go as some of the community would go and do the torch and pitch fork routine even more so than now with the gating and rep requirements for gear and profession patterns.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    it will never be a good idea to limit players like this imo.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I tend to believe that the world first races tend to have an element of quantity over quality, brute forcing encounters until they finally get it, this suggestion won't do anything about that.

Just like people say "world first guilds have geared alts" to bypass limited attempts per week (like Ra-den), they could also have second accounts with geared alts to bypass full on account lockouts.

In other words, nothing would change, other than the steps they would take would get progressively more absurd.
    Last edited by Deathgoose; 2013-03-14 at 04:03 PM.

Deleted
    If people are able to devote an insane amount of time for a world first chase. They schould be allowed to do that.
    Besides the people in the hardcore world first chasing guilds are hardly what one might call noobs.

reduced player burnout and reduced incentive to run alt runs. On the first no on the second they would probably run more alt runs.

In the end I do not think that it schould be up to blizzard to decide the amount of time waste on chasing a world first.

In the end it all ends up with if you combine skill and effort, in this case time, greatness can be achieved. If you can't commit your time, but feel like you are the best player in the world well tough luck. Be happy about what you have and that you have other more important things in life to do than wasting it chasing purple pixels and a ranking on some soon to be forgotten world topxxx list.

People should be able to play how they want.

However its rather hilarious that 9/10 its the TIME these guilds put in that gets them their ranks. NOT skill.

Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    This isn't communist China.
    I hate to say it but this is what this boils down to.

Didn't China have this system, or do they still have it? Do you really think it's wise to limit the amount of game-time someone has in the game? If so, you're wrong, and impeding your own views onto others. Even if most people won't raid for 8-9 hours a day, an impediment like that would make people question why they aren't allowed to, and even make people unsubscribe to the game, EVEN though they don't do it.

They are putting in limited attempts on Ra-den, so it's not solely about who can find the most hours at the end and throw themselves at the boss for hours on end.

To an extent, Blizzard does have to place limits on its playerbase. It just gets more contentious when you move this towards the more hardcore crowd. But I thought some of the WF guilds were happy with the staggered released of the T14 instances. Shouldn't they have all wanted everything to be released at once so as to not limit them and allow them to raid as much and as hard as they wanted?

You're probably one of those Michael Bloomberg types.
    Why do we have to resort to things like this? It's only going to cause more controversy and lead the discussion way off topic. Let's please limit WoW discussions to WoW.

Lol at all those replies about deciding yourself how much time you want to play... Doesn't Blizzard already limit it, by the weekly lock out, the cap on Valor Points etc etc. It's even their policy "to protect people against themselves".

Hardcore Raiding = Time Investment + Skill + Politics.

Yes, clearly the players in Paragon, Method, Blood Legion, etc are the exact same (if not lower) skill than you and the only reason they are top world guilds is because they raid a ton for 1-2 weeks every 4-6 months.

If Blizzard limited the time to how much these guilds raided, clearly they would not be even mentioned as the best guilds in the world.

God forbid if a couple dozen people choose to live their lives how they want to, even if it means taking time off work for a video game. Why should the world allow anyone to do this heinous activity!??! This should be absolutely illegal and we should throw these people in jail.

Also, do you really believe that limiting a player's time in the game is going to REDUCE the incentive to do multiple alt runs? Like, seriously? Think about that for a second. If Blizzard puts a time limit cap on each person's account, then the players in these guilds would own MULTIPLE accounts and have to have MORE alts and do MORE alt runs then they already do so that they can get around the time limit.

Benefits:
    - Reduced player burnout

More time spent (which in this scenario = more effort spent) should be rewarded. People striving to be "best in the world" accept occupational hazards.

As there's no real advantage of being the top guild, apart from reputation, there's no reason for Blizzard to cap time spent raiding. Skill is extremely important, but so is time investment. Your system, while not a bad one, favors more skilled guilds over dedicated guilds (that may have a lower skill cap).

Not a good idea. Why lock content for no reason?

If people want to play all day, so be it.

Not to say it would take precious development resource for a system that would make people play LESS.

Absolutelly, stupid idea.

Benefits:
    - Reduced player burnout

id vouch for this... that day wow becomes F2P, not gonna pay a bloody penny if i can't decide how long i want to raid myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    Not a good idea. Why lock content for no reason?

If people want to play all day, so be it.

Not to say it would take precious development resource for a system that would make people play LESS.

Absolutelly, stupid idea.
    This is what i'm not sure about; do people want to play all day? or do they feel forced to do so to remain competitive?