Blood dk and mastery

My mastery is at over the 100% mark, Is there a special number i should be looking for? my char name is cokeatea. Feel free to look up the armory and let me know. I went with several stamina gems to get my health up considering im going to tank msv and were starting hof this week. I wasnt concerned about my hit/exp comsidering I hold threat pretty good. Thank you- cokeatea

Stamina gems aren't recommended unless you are going for a full EH build. To answer your primary question, no there isn't a mastery cap that you can achieve. Stack dat mastery.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    My Blood DK is sitting at iLvl 499. When we started ToT, I swapped all my 320 mastery gems for 160 mastery / 120 stam for the increase in health. I'm wondering if I shouldn't go back to using the 320 mastery gems and use SSG instead for the HP increase.
    Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.

Unless you're massively undergeared for the content you're doing, mastery will basically always come out on top in terms of survivability.

As for a mastery cap; the cap is reached when a single Death Strike caps your Blood Shield, I.E such an amount of mastery isn't possible to reach on retail servers. (not at level 90 at the very least anyway)
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà View Post
    Unless you're massively undergeared for the content you're doing, mastery will basically always come out on top in terms of survivability.

As for a mastery cap; the cap is reached when a single Death Strike caps your Blood Shield, I.E such an amount of mastery isn't possible to reach on retail servers. (not at level 90 at the very least anyway)
    It never will be reached.

If you're not beating healers on the meters, you need more mastery.
    That's how i do it

I wouldn't say that about no-cap thing. There are situations that you take tons of damage. I remember a single death strike heals me for 485k on Tortos bats, and similar things happen on Windlord. It is very likely to cap blood shield with single DS in these cases if you have high mastery and relatively low health, then trading some mastery for stam would be a good choice (especially Tortos bats suck your blood when you are below a certain amount). I didn't say these extreme cases happen everyday, and I didn't say everyone should switch everything to stam just because of that. But just throw out the idea that it could happen, and if you got into trouble in these situations, you probably could think about other choices.
    Last edited by jasonleekungfu; 2013-03-14 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonleekungfu View Post
    I wouldn't say that about no-cap thing. There are situations that you take tons of damage. I remember a single death strike heals me for 485k on Tortos bats, and similar things happen on Windlord. It is very likely to cap blood shield with single DS in these cases if you have high mastery and relatively low health, then trading some mastery for stam would be a good choice (especially Tortos bats suck your blood when you are below a certain amount). I didn't say these extreme cases happen everyday, and I didn't say everyone should switch everything to stam just because of that. But just throw out the idea that it could happen, and if you got into trouble in these situations, you probably could think about other choices.
    I was just saying it from a stat view point, there are encounters when it will but aside from those occasions it is not likely going to cap. I can't wait to see how the stat weights look when the item crunch hits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exol View Post
    If you're not beating healers on the meters, you need more mastery.
    That's how i do it
    This...

Plus, I beat my healers on occasion .

I'm sitting at about 180% mastery raid buffed, not including any short term buffs. For a fight with high physical damage (say Horridon), this is pretty good. But on Council where I am eating Marli's Wrath, it seems like I could benefit more from EH.

So, is there a relative amount of Mastery that I should really be shooting for, then start stacking stamina and/or avoidance?

Quote Originally Posted by omnibishop View Post
    So, is there a relative amount of Mastery that I should really be shooting for, then start stacking stamina and/or avoidance?
    figure out the EH you need first. If you need more EH, get more EH. If you don't, then put everything else into mastery if you are going for maximum survivability. Your ideal mastery/stam ratio should be decided by the amount of stam YOU need (it will be slightly different for everyone), not by any arbitrary mastery %.

My way of approaching magic damage enounters is like this:
    Up to the point where you have 100% blood shield uptime stack mastery - because blood shield equals higher bone shield uptime.
    After that go for haste if boss damage isn't all that dangerous (for more self healing/dps) or stamina if it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Reniat View Post
    figure out the EH you need first. If you need more EH, get more EH. If you don't, then put everything else into mastery if you are going for maximum survivability. Your ideal mastery/stam ratio should be decided by the amount of stam YOU need (it will be slightly different for everyone), not by any arbitrary mastery %.
    Exactly. I agree man lol. There isn't any build always good or always bad, just good or bad for particular encounters and particular players.

Quote Originally Posted by Reniat View Post
    Follow-up question: How do I know how much health is needed? Even with 180% mastery, I'm almost pushing 700k health raid buffed. It's not like I'm getting one or two shot, but having a nice cushion so my healers don't panic would be nice.

Follow-up question: How do I know how much health is needed? Even with 180% mastery, I'm almost pushing 700k health raid buffed. It's not like I'm getting one or two shot, but having a nice cushion so my healers don't panic would be nice.
    TOT is still part of progression for most of us, so I don't think is a clear answer...yet.

But I think 700k raid buffed is exactly what you should be aiming for, seems like the right number to me.

Depends entirely on you, your healers, your raid size, and your raid difficulty. If you are a doing 10N content at a fairly relaxed pace you will probably need less stamina than someone who is already pushing 25H content. If your healer is a druid then you might need more stamina than if it were a Hpally (though this will depend heavily on the druid and Hpally).

Obviously its impossible to analytically come up with a specific amount of health needed based on all these factors, so how do you know how much you need?

simple: watch your health bar. If you feel that you frequently spike harder than you probably should, then consider more stamina. If your damage is smooth but intense, then consider lowering your stamina in favor of mitigation (mastery). You probably won't find the "perfect" balance right away. Just carry a couple stam trinkets and swap them out and in until you think you've got it. Only go for stam gems if you feel you want more EH and are already using two stamina trinkets.