Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Dev Interviews, ToT Progression, Heroic Primordius Video, Blue Tweets, GW2 Culling

Reminder for Heart of the Swarm Items, Vote for Ask the Devs Questions!, Top 3 Weapons for Followers

Isle of Thunder US - Stage 2 Unlocked

Patch 5.2 Dev Interviews
    Let's take a look at another one of the dev interviews today, the MMORPG interview with Ghostcrawler.

• New character models are still actively being worked on.
    • Pandaren are a good example of how detailed the new models will be. They have facial animations with moving eyes and mouths, fingers that are all individual and not just a mitten, as well as new animations.
    • "MMORPG: As long as my Dwarf looks prettier. That’s a good thing. Greg: It is coming, and the new dwarf is very pretty."
    • Defense of the Alehouse is an experiment right now, with no definite release date.
    • Blizzard is working on other battlegrounds that we likely will see sooner.
    • Patch 5.3 will tell the story that leads up to the Siege of Orgrimmar. Varian will bring the Alliance together and push the Horde apart.
    • Work had started on Patch 5.2 and 5.3 before 5.0 even launched.
    • Blizzard can now plan for the next expansion far enough ahead to put some seeds of what is to come in the current story.
    • On Blizzcon: "I think we’re going to have a lot to talk about."
    • Moving to free to play would require it to be more successful than the current business model, which isn't the case right now.

Throne of Thunder Heroic Progression
    Lots of progress this weekend! Method, DREAM Paragon, and Blood Legion are all now 10/13. While there is no video of Heroic Dark Animus yet, Blood Legion has uploaded one of Primordius.

You can keep up with the kills on Manaflask, our forum thread, and WowProgress.

Automatic Flight Path Discovery Unintended
    It looks like we can look forward to a post in the coming week about why automatic flight path discovery was unintended and is not coming back.

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Character
    Where's character progression for nonraiders when new valor gear requires raid rep? "Playing my way" was nice while it lasted.
    There is gear on the non-raid reps (Sunreaver and Kirin Tor), just not the best gear. (Source)

A lot of post on fixing 25M raiding. I don't think it's broken, but we need some hlp with logistics and management. Any plans?
    What would help with logistics and management? (Source)
    We rely on third party websites and/or making endless level 1 alts to make contact with players.
    Yeah, we need to come up with a communication system players can use for legit needs without opening up new ways for spam. (Source)

We got your stance about PlayerHousing (it's a no-go for now), but what about GuildHousing?
    We worry that guild housing is only content for the guild leaders. (Source)

Are the new legendary meta gems replacing our normal meta gems or is it in addition to them?
    They are just meta gems, so they replace the one you normally use. (Source)

Why can't your team keep upgrades in for 5.0/5.1 gear only? Make them upgrade through Justice...
    There is no technically simple way to do so. We agree upgrading the ilevel of blues in general feels good. (Source)

Why can't Fist-Weapons and daggers be interchangeable like every other 1h weapon for transmog now?
    Animation technical limitation. Maybe someday. (Source)
    Why doesnt that limitation apply to Guns/Bows/Crossbows, which all use different animations yet can be mogged?
    Originally coded that way since the gun sounds bug some players so much. Not an unsolvable problem but it does take some code. (Source)

Hey Greg, I was just wondering: is there any posiblity that in the close future we will see cross realm herilooms?
    Yeah, the possibility exists. We have no design objection. Mail wasn't set up to work that way. (Source)
    couldn't uou change heirlooms to something like mounts? Scroll down ui that would help keep track. A lot better
    Yeah I said last Blizzcon that I'd love to see that. (Source)

Hey guys, is the "Appear offline" feature going to be implemented tomorrow in 5.2? Thanks!
    Pretty sure it is not in 5.2. Ran into some technical limitations. Still like the design idea. (Source)

No interviewer has asked this past week about it so here goes: Update on model revamps? Last update was last year iirc
    Any answer just tends to build excitement to a scary level so it's best just to keep quiet for now. (Source)

Are you going to fix the proc rate on the 5.2 trinkets? Currently they are way too unreliable.
    We're considering some pseudo randomization in players' favor. E.g. if no proc, increase chance next time. Avoids bad streaks. (Source)
    I really hope some action is taken on this quickly i'm going to be passing on trinkets in ToT on my shaman until then.
    We think we're going to apply the pseudo random thing. We'll write up details somewhere players can see it. (Source)

“Getting new gear is annoying. Cost of reforging, enchanting/gemming, transmogging (void storage all add up. Blah.” @Ghostcrawler
    We agree. Too much post-modification takes the fun out of getting a new piece. Need to work on that. (Source)

We also added some protection to the ToT RPPM trinkets to avoid streaks of bad luck and buffed some to boot. Details soon. (Source)
    Do you think you may be setting a bad precedent? Soothing Mist and now trinkets have streak protection. Might become expected.
    Would that be a bad thing? Quest drops have had it for years and we want to add it to bonus rolls as well. (Source)
    Just worried you might be painting yourself into a corner. Precedents have come back to bite you before.
    Funny you mention that, because I feel like precedents have become a big part of this job. Like being on a supreme court at times. (Source)

The new system will prevent unlucky streaks, but not lucky ones. Why not a ramping up proc chance from t=0 ? (less variance)
    Lucky streaks were what we were trying to deliver. Otherwise, procs might as well be passives since they're so predictable. (Source)

twizzcast: playing alts is just something for times youve got nothing to do? What if people just like to play multiple classes
    But, making a main take 100% and all of the alts 0% means you're not actually playing an alt. Needs to be somewhere in the middle. (Source)
    The point was that we can't offer mains 20% of the content so that folks with 5 characters would have 100% of the content. (Source)

Doesn't it seem like Valor of the Ancients should trigger when you achieve 1000VP on a realm in a week? Not a specific toon?
    Debated that, but it makes you e.g. want to do first dungeon with every alt before playing your main. (Source)

Professions
    Odds on a revamp for fishing and lw? Fishing is slow, tedious, uninteractive; LW requires too many mats for how fast you level
    Odds are high, but not for 5.2. (Source)

GC, w/ the recent revamps to leveling profs. I want to level a JC. But should I wait? Any plans to revamp leveling JC?
    Not for 5.2 and we haven't decided what profs to focus on for 5.3 yet. (Source)

Are we going to get our filters back in Profession windows? Or new filters? I'd like to separate swords from all weapons.
    They need much better filtering overall. (Source)

I don't like the Blacksmithing changes, because it dumbs down another aspect of the game. Farming old ore was easy anyway
    Usually players use "dumbing down" to mean less skill required not less time commitment. (Source)

That new engineering mount, the sky claw. Is it still in there? No mention of it in patch notes.
    It's not. We had to pull it at the last second. Hopefully we can fix it and it will return. (Source)
    What about the other engineering items from the 5.2 PTR like the fridge? Are they ever coming out?
    We'd like to put them all out together rather than trickling a recipe in here and there. (Source)

Race to World First
    Now that the race is on once again, the Race to World First documentary is free to watch for the next two weeks.

Guild Wars 2: The End of Culling
    An interesting post popped up this week that demonstrates a solution for game performance during large scale PvP battles. Previously, in large scale PvP, players that were farther away from you were hidden to reduce the load on your client. This led to people that you couldn't see attacking you for several seconds before they became visible.

Under the changed system, the client can render characters using the normal high res models, low res and much more generic model, and the just nameplates only. Players can set the number of characters to render with a model vs nameplates, as well as the quality of models to be used.

Last edited by chaud; 2013-03-17 at 10:34 PM.

Thats unfortunate. Automatic flight path discovery helped a lot when leveling. Oh well. :P

Blizzard can plan for the next expansion far enough ahead to put some seeds of what is to come in the current story.
    ORLY?

Like we didn't know that already. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post

New character models are still actively being worked on.
    Pandaren are a good example of how detailed the new models will be. They have facial animations with moving eyes and mouths, fingers that are all individual and not just a mitten, as well as new animations.
    "MMORPG: As long as my Dwarf looks prettier. That’s a good thing. Greg: It is coming, and the new dwarf is very pretty."
    I think those three lines are the biggest news ever for the new models.

Gimme gimme GIMME!!!

Deleted
    Next Expansion:
    Zul'Another, featuring more trolls, with more reskinned raptors, no new story, and did we say more trolls?

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I think those three lines are the biggest news ever for the new models.

Gimme gimme GIMME!!!
    Pretty dwarves sound scary, hopefully there's still ugly mugs with twig beards after this revamp and not only Fili and Kili D:

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragezero View Post
    Next Expansion:
    Zul'Another, featuring more trolls, with more reskinned raptors, no new story, and did we say more trolls?
    Don't need a troll expansion for that, just look at the forums.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

The news about automatic FP discovery is really disappointing. :/

Quote Originally Posted by sebun View Post
    Pretty dwarves sound scary, hopefully there's still ugly mugs with twig beards after this revamp and not only Fili and Kili D:
    Who gives a shit about the stinking dwarfs? I want to see Humans, Night Elves, Draenei and Blood Elves. Oh and the Forsaken cause I can't stand them.

Actually those are my favorites, I want to see them all.

Gimme gimme GIMME!!!

Deleted
    Primordius looks like an amazing fight- and by the looks of it, not a single ressurect were used by Blood Legion on the kill, so that timer is very tight, even with everyone alive! Sure it'll be easier next week with more gear, but it looks amazing! Love all the fights Gollum references! =)

WoW! Heroic Primordius looks AWESOME!

10+ Year Old Account
    The Culling change is going to be really nice for GW2
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/w...nd-of-culling/

I'm all for more detailed models, I just hope they still let us choose distinct faces, unlike Pandaren which are the same face with different fur patterns.

Neat info on new models and 5.3. Now give us the PTR! XD

I wonder what they did with new models' hair. I hope there are new hair styles. Ah and, several new faces for every model would be really good.

Now who knows in how many year these make into the game. :P

I dont get why you even have dream paragon in this it shouldnt even count they are doing 10 man....

Race to World First documentary is SUPER BORING. I love documentaries and they just go on and on about the players and how they are awkward. They dont really go into the logistics of raiding like that.
    Last edited by 1up; 2013-03-18 at 12:03 AM.

only lei shen and Ra Den hc left dream paragon killed twins on 10 hc link to proof here http://www.wowprogress.com/

---------- Post added 2013-03-18 at 12:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by omghesbalance View Post
    I dont get why you even have dream paragon in this it shouldnt even count they are doing 10 man....
    plz don't start a 10v25 flamefest some fights are harder in 10 some in 25
    Last edited by thunderdragon2; 2013-03-18 at 12:10 AM.

Automatic flight discovery was a fault from the get go, it's a good thing they remove it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SumoSizeIt View Post
    I'm all for more detailed models, I just hope they still let us choose distinct faces, unlike Pandaren which are the same face with different fur patterns.
    The reason the faces are that way is because they're so detailed.

On old models, you could stick eyes and eyebrows any old place, because the faces were fairly static. Pandaren eyebrows and other facial features basically HAVE to sit where they do, as they would otherwise not synch up with the complex eyebrow/mouth animations.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.