Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Melee's job on Tortos?

Hey guys. My guild is currently 6/12...but we constantly fight over Tortos, and I am getting frustrated.

As a Melee, I feel it is very fruitless for me to attack the Whirl Turtles, because by the time I get to them, the ranged has burned them down. It just feels so fruitless for me to waste my time chasing them around, getting knocked all over the damn world, losing DPS on the boss.

So, I want to ask the community... Is it really melee's job to get on the whirl turtles if it is perfectly fine for the ranged to get them down?
    Roboctopus of STAY MAD - Sargeras
    http://staymad.enjin.com/

Deleted
    The only time we had melees going for turtles is to burn one turtle down in the first wave and then ranged handles it the rest of the fight while melee sits on boss and aoes bats.

we have our melee kill the bats and the boss, the ranged run around and kill/kick turtles. As long as your ranged can kill one turtle before the first breath, there is literally no reason to pull melee off the boss to go chase turtles around the room.

Depends how many melee you run with and how good your ranged are. We do tortos with 1 melee and 4 ranged dps having the melee on the boss+bats and they throw some dots/damage on the turtles when they come by. If your ranged can't get the turtles down in time you need to help or bring more ranged.

Everyone nukes the first set of turtles. From there, melee is on boss and bats.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Deleted
    Melee tunnels boss, cleaving the turtles when they spawn from under Tortos and bats.

Deleted
    1. Dps the first turtle down.
    2. Sit on the boss, don't get hit by shit, cleave bats and turtles when they spawn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah we haven't had a problem with ranged killing them really, but I almost die chasing them nearly every time. I dunno, it's just causing a lot of argument.

We have 4 ranged and 1 melee as well we just keep him on the boss and help him aoe the Bats that are also positioned by the boss. We dont even have him change to any turtles at all.

Yeah we do what seems to be the norm here. We all kill the first set, then after that we go boss, bats, boss, bats and so on. Bringing the bats to his nose the boss is getting hit by our AoEs too

While a good melee wont get hit -often- by the whirl, you -will- get hit. they turn in seemingly random directions and about a 25% chance that you will be in that direction (as their "hit you" range is bigger than they are). this results in taking unessicery damage from the ground target AoEs as well. on top of that, the turtles dont have a ton of health. You spend time catching them, then spend time in the air, then spend time running back to the boss, doing 0 dps during this time. If range are capible of killing it without really losing DPS (beyond build up time that melee will have as well) then why sacrifice the raid's DPS to "make things fair"?

edit: with crippling poison i also fan twice when the turtles roll by the first time, this almost always leads to them starting off snared

we used 2 melee 3 ranged on our last kill, melee stayed on boss while cleaving the bats down. Ranged focused down turtles.

Deleted
    If you use 1 melee and 4/5 ranged can't nuke turtles by themselves they are the problem, not you.

Deleted
    myself and our other rogue in our 10man sit on the boss and just keep deadly posion on the bats via FOK. they go down fairly easily. the other 3 dps (priest, lock and mage) are pretty much 100% on turtles.

there is no rush to kill the turtles really except the very first spawn where u need to mark a skull and get it down quickly to interrupt breath. as long as u have at least 3 ranged dps melee shouldn't really need to help on them.

Also depends on the melee class.

DK/Ret pally are can be half decent or can at least swap initially and then switch back when HB/DC/judgement is back up. Rogues/warriors/feral druids basically don't have any ranged attack and shouldn't bother switching at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have a Boomkin, Afflic Lock, Hunter, Windwalker, Ret and Enhancement.

Deleted
    if you have monk tank, kite all the bats

Deleted
    10m here we have our 2 melees sit on the boss and dps the the bats while ranged do the turtles, very easy this way.

10+ Year Old Account
    On normal and heroic our melee tunnel the boss and cleave the bats.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

Melee should be on the boss and cleave the bats.. as soon as we changed to this strat, we downed it in 3 tries..

Melee's job here is to be replaced by ranged.

On a more serious note (although that;s not entirely a joke either), you're basically going to be tunneling boss, slow turtles if you're capable of it (death knights for example) and kill bats if you're actually killing bats.