Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post

Well, I've always chosen to look at the leveling process as the game. It's why I've never understood people's reasoning for wanting to be max level ASAP. To me, that's like getting hold of an RPG/aventure game and saying, "Yeah, I really don't care about actually playing this game at all, I just want to skip to the end level." It doesn't really compute. Why even bother playing at all if you just want to skip over 90% of it?
    Yeah, this just makes me remember my MORTAL HATE over (single player) games that you start as some badass all skills unlocked and allmightypower against -usually- a huge big bad boss generally followed by a huge blow on you in the end of the fight, after almost beating the boss, you forget who you are, you lose all your powers, you descend to earth as a fallen-nopower-angel and so on. If a game ever starts like this...chances are I'm not going to play much...I play for 10mins I know it all. I DO understand wanting to "go" max lvl on WoW if you know what it's waiting for you there (Can't raid at non-max level). But if you are just starting (as I did on WoW) with no "knowledge"....the experience chances quite a bit.

I think you're the only other person I've ever seen mention Tail of the Sun. o_O

I'm not sure how you could not classify video games as entertainment in some form. Sometimes I watch "Let's Play" series on YouTube for video games I would love to see, but am incapable of playing. Amnesia was one of those. I am way too sensitive to suspense in horror games. While I love watching others play, I get too anxious/nervous to play them myself. Maybe that's not "fun" to some people, but I find it entertaining.
    I said, "strictly view". Because there is the opportunity for the medium to expand beyond that just as film, literature and music did.

And games like Spec Ops and L.A. Noire are definitely not trying to entertain you with portrayals of relatively serious racism, antisemitism, bigotry and gender discrimination. They don't even admonish those things in some trite way for the most part. Spec Ops is sorta serious, it's kinda meta commentary by design. The developers wanted you to not enjoy those aspects- expressly. As In they have said, "No, this ain't fun."

So there is capacity and precedence within the industry for games not meant to strictly entertain you as a player. As there are films or music compositions which do not intend the same for an audience.

And again, have stuff like The Cat and The Coup. Which isn't really "fun".

Well, I've always chosen to look at the leveling process as the game. It's why I've never understood people's reasoning for wanting to be max level ASAP. To me, that's like getting hold of an RPG/aventure game and saying, "Yeah, I really don't care about actually playing this game at all, I just want to skip to the end level." It doesn't really compute. Why even bother playing at all if you just want to skip over 90% of it?
    Yea, leveling is part of the game. It's just frequently pointless in modern MMOs. It wasn't pointless in Everquest or FF11, for example. Leveling was critical to gameplay in both primary and secondary systems.

To use Rift again: What gameplay function did killing Endless Court cultist serve the 4th, 9th, 12th, 100th time? How was that synergistic to the gameplay systems? What did you learn completing level 20 to reach level 21 that was important to the structure of the game?

It was "busy work". Elongation for the sake of $.

Now look at Guild Wars 1 which did leveling, questing and story about as harmoniously as has ever been done in the genre. The tools and gameplay concepts at a base level were revealed to you in full over the course of 20 levels. With every quest and story mission up to that point either introducing new gameplay elements or revealing the over arching structure of the game.

The trick of gameplay is that it is an objective truth- players run like this, swing their swords like that, etc. These are aspects which are hard, repeatable, absolute. The rules of the game or condition for winning, if you will.

There is no point in the process of Rift's leveling by which I am made aware through gameplay that the ratio of generating threat is based on 1.5 times my endurance. Or even given the practice by which the measure of threat is integral to any aspect of the questing/leveling process. To level is pointless in Rift as it has no genuine gameplay basis on anything except time investment.

You DO know why you are doing X, Y, Z and how X, Y, Z work in Guild Wars 1. All of which is demonstrated in an economical and precise manner... via gameplay.

- You begin as a recruit
    - You are made aware the towns are shared hubs
    - You are purposefully sent into the instanced world alone at first
    - You are given simple quests that instructs you on the nature of using he minimap, quest log, etc
    - These quests are quickly chained into a series of quests
    - The above ending in reaching the second town hub to reinforce the concept of an instance world connected by hubs
    - Soon you are given by turn explanation and quests of all the sub jobs
    - Soon you are to return to the instanced world with a party/friend to complete a task which requires joint operation [i.e. the instanced world can be shared, tasks require teamwork, switches work like this, etc]

And it goes on like that for 20 levels where little is wasted opportunity in teaching you the game top to bottom. Eventually you the player are armed with tools, knowledge, lore and motivation by action interaction that is 100% based & taught through GAMEPLAY.

Can I say the same or better yet demonstrate the same of Rift's leveling path? No. Not at all.

Games are about gameplay. Nothing else.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-03-16 at 05:30 AM.

Fine transmutation gems are on sale for today only. That and the Black Lion salvage kits are the only items I wanted from this 30 days of deals sale.

Last edited by carnifex2005; 2013-03-18 at 12:40 PM.

Changes to boss loot chests incoming.

Izzy speaks;

In the next release we will adjust the way that world mega bosses award their loot. The current chests will stay lootable once per day per character, but each boss’s guaranteed rare item drop will be moved to a separate chest (visually similar to daily achievement reward chests) that can only be acquired once per day across an account.

Our intention with this change is to keep providing rewarding loot for world mega bosses while avoiding overwhelming participation in boss fights (and overwhelming the economy with rares) from players cycling through each character slot for each boss every day.
    SAUCE: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...st#post1656442

Heh. Knew something like this was coming. Makes me glad to have been grinding the chests as much as I've have been. It was a mechanic that was just waiting to get nerfed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Already gone up 6s in 1 hour. I can hear the screaming from the future now, lol.

It's a good change, needed to be done, but there will still be overflows.
    Valar morghulis

Seriously..again with the nerfs to drop. What is it with them I just don't get it. I'm really sick of them nerfing everything that helps people make some money

10+ Year Old Account
    How do I do it you ask? My Super Saiyan Mind.
    Valar morghulis

Wait, so there are going to be two chests now per event? One with the guaranteed rare(s) that's once per day per account (per boss?) and then the old one that I assume will go back to dropping blue and green crap? :P

I agree with Scyth, I hate that they keep nerfing the few ways that there are to make money in this game, but I actually took a break this weekend cause trying to hit up all those chests was running me ragged. :P Not to mention too many people trolling the timers. They were off by as much as 15-20 minutes a lot of times, so farming the chests wasn't really as productive anymore when you're sitting around waiting for something to happen.

You know when you do your daily or 100% a zone and that little shaking chest appears above the minimap? That's how you gain the rare item from bosses now. Once per day, per account.

The physical chests in the world, like the one after you kill dragons or the swamp ghost, will just be random crap to vendor for a few silver.

Wow, that sucks. They really do love swinging the pendulum from one extreme to the other, don't they? I foresee a lot of those events they were trying to bring traffic to completely dying now. I mean, why bother with anything other than Maw? (Unless you specifically want Final Rest from SB or something.)

good change imo

maybe I can actually participate in one of these without being put into overflow

So is it one guaranteed rare chest per boss per account or is it just one guarenteed rare chest per account. If its the latter then its a huge nerf, but if you could still get rewared from each boss once per day its not so bad. Spamming each boss on each char needed to be nerfed.

rare chest per boss per account

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, that sucks. They really do love swinging the pendulum from one extreme to the other, don't they? I foresee a lot of those events they were trying to bring traffic to completely dying now. I mean, why bother with anything other than Maw? (Unless you specifically want Final Rest from SB or something.)

How is it a nerf?

Do you remember before they changed it on Feb 26th, you had around a 1 in 3 chance of getting a rare from a chest. There's at least 20 world boss chest events so if you ran them all each day you'd come out with 6 or 7 rares.

Now you can run all 20 and be guaranteed 20 rares.

It was overbuffed there for a couple weeks. People were able to get the chests on their mains and all of their alts for up to 100 rares a day (if you had 5 alts).

The problem was it was too good, it was causing overcrowding at the events and contributing to overflow issues. Not to mention it was an extrinsic reward, people felt compelled to get as many on as many alts as possible at the expense of playing the rest of the game. You said yourself

but I actually took a break this weekend cause trying to hit up all those chests was running me ragged.
    and

(Though that's really more of an issue with event rewards than actual interest in doing the events.)

It's a good change, Lane. It seems you will complain both sides of an issue just for the sake of complaining.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    It's a good change, Lane. It seems you will complain both sides of an issue just for the sake of complaining.
    Actually it was a misunderstanding, and judging from some of the other comments I wasn't the only one who misunderstood what exactly the change meant either.

As an aside, I'm not sure what I've personally done to you other than not gush all over GW2 to warrant your attentions lately. I still ultimately enjoy playing the game and consider it damn near close to what kind of MMO I'd develop myself, but it's easier to focus on the criticisms I post, I suppose. Although, I am nowhere near as harsh on GW2 as many other frequent posters to this forum and the comments of mine you've chosen to target are not only arguably trivial (or not even the point), but you seem to like putting you own spin on my words whether correct or not, which in both previous cases has been the latter. So, I'd appreciate it if you'd stop making assumptions because you know what they say about that.

Regardless, if it's once per day per boss then that's cool. I mistakenly thought it was a daily rare regardless of which or how many boss events you did. Sorry for the confusion.

Actually it was a misunderstanding, and judging from some of the other comments I wasn't the only one who misunderstood what exactly the change meant either.

As an aside, I'm not sure what I've personally done to you other than not gush all over GW2 to warrant your attentions lately. I still ultimately enjoy playing the game and consider it damn near close to what kind of MMO I'd develop myself, but it's easier to focus on the criticisms I post, I suppose. Although, I am nowhere near as harsh on GW2 as many other frequent posters to this forum and the comments of mine you've chosen to target are not only arguably trivial (or not even the point), but you seem to like putting you own spin on my words whether correct or not, which in both previous cases has been the latter. So, I'd appreciate it if you'd stop making assumptions because you know what they say about that.

Regardless, if it's once per day per boss then that's cool. I mistakenly thought it was a daily rare regardless of which or how many boss events you did. Sorry for the confusion.
    Karizee seems to be picking apart your points because anyone that was actually harsh to the game on a regular basis figured out a long time ago that Karizee was a forum-plant.

And I quite frankly don't care about the PR spin, I really don't. But Karizee, you can stop directing shit like that at my forum readers, or find a banned tag which won't let you do your job. Pick one.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2013-03-19 at 04:30 AM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Karizee seems to be picking apart your points because anyone that was actually harsh to the game on a regular basis figured out a long time ago that Karizee was a forum-plant.

And I quite frankly don't care about the PR spin, I really don't. But Karizee, you can stop directing shit like that at my forum readers, or find a banned tag which won't let you do your job. Pick one.
    Seems like your always angry at anyone who would praise the game, or has nothing negative to say about it.

You make it really obvious you don't like the person, i doubt anyone cares either. Just don't go around threatening to ban people because they enjoy a game that you do not. It's pretty childish.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2013-03-19 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Removed a quoted double-post.

Alright. We can't let petty personality based arguments continue.

It is 100% not okay to go after anyone personally on these forums. Someone likes/dislike something different-- deal or go cry in your pancakes.

-- Fencers

10+ Year Old Account
    Never farmed these chests, not starting now, if i happen to be online at the time of start , fine, when a guildie warns me ill come do it just because they are cool, otherwise not wasting my damn time waiting on a particular event to pop and farming chests for some rares.