Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Looking for a bike and need some help.

I'm currently looking for a bike to work out on but I'm having a little difficult in finding one. All I want to do is lose weight and burn off some fat. I am currently about 160 lbs and I am 5'7. I'm 16 and I just want to get a nice fit body for the summer. Losing weight is my primary goal though. I'm also not wanting to spend a lot of cash on a bike. I'm looking for a bike around the price of 200$.

I was looking at this bike though: http://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Mens-...=bikes+for+men

Also a little on something else regarding fitness. I have a case of man boobs that I would like to get rid of. Will biking help me get rid of them? If so then that will be a huge side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Stevo!
    Last edited by BarelyLegalBear; 2013-03-15 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    I'm currently looking for a bike to work out on but I'm having a little difficult in finding one. All I want to do is lose weight and burn off some fat. I am currently about 160 lbs and I am 5'7. I'm 16 and I just want to get a nice fit body for the summer. Losing weight is my primary goal though. I'm also not wanting to spend a lot of cash on a bike. I'm looking for a bike around the price of 200$.

Also a little on something else regarding fitness. I have a case of man boobs that I would like to get rid of. Will biking help me get rid of them? If so then that will be a huge side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Stevo!
    I would look on craigslist.
    Losing weight will lose the boobs, cycling does not directly target your pecs though.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I looked on craigslist, not really any bikes on there and around where I live.

The bike you posted would get the job done you don't really need anything fancy for what you want it for. I would suggest running / walking just because it's free. Good luck with your transformation.

You cannot buy a good new bike for $200. Any bike in that price range will have very low end parts. If you must buy a super cheap bike, I recommend an offbrand road bike though. Something like this would work.

Don't get a full suspension bike, get a hardtail. If you're not spending much on it then the last thing you want to do is get something that essencially bumps the price up, that rear suspension has to be paid for and that means you lose out on the quality of other parts.

Go to a shop and see what used bikes they have, go for a hardtail, they are lighter, cheaper, better on the road and more than capable enough for offroad stuff, a $200 full suspension bike is in my opinion absolutely pointless and if you aren't going to ride offroad then I would suggest a bike without front suspension.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You cannot buy a good new bike for $200. Any bike in that price range will have very low end parts. If you must buy a super cheap bike, I recommend an offbrand road bike though. Something like this would work.
    Agreed. You need to put out a few hundred more to get one you really love to ride.

I have a Trek bias >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I have a Trek bias >.>
    I have a strong Cervelo bias these days

I'm not about to tell someone on a budget to look at them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I have a strong Cervelo bias these days

I'm not about to tell someone on a budget to look at them though.
    You're into road biking though :3

I'd have to agree that Cervelo > Madone.

Pff, I have a madone!! Don't diss it! hehe

Cervelo's are cool too but I think my next bike will be a Colnago though they are probably not so much value for their price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    Pff, I have a madone!! Don't diss it! hehe

Cervelo's are cool too but I think my next bike will be a Colnago though they are probably not so much value for their price.
    I am definitely not ragging on the Madone, I just think the top end Cervelos are more badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I am definitely not ragging on the Madone, I just think the top end Cervelos are more badass.
    That's my thoughts as well. If I had a big, big budget (say $10K), I'd definitely consider a Project One Madone. In the $3-6K range, I just prefer the Cervelos. I suppose if I was really spending big, I'd be looking at a Cervelo Rca though.