View Poll Results: Do you like the Oondasta encounter?

Voters
489. This poll is closed
  • YES

172 35.17%
  • NO

317 64.83%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I really enjoyed it the first time, as im casual atm it was just nice to have a challenge, but probably hotfix so you cant fight him at the graveyard
    Whoops, sig too big

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    The idea of it is good, but in practice, it fails. People are saying "You need a full group of people geared at 522 or higher item level". Fair enough, but then why would you kill it? Sha crystals? The gear will be almost useless because if you had full 522, you would most likely be getting heroic items, item level 535 or higher (If thunderforged) from raid. Make's absolutely no point at all.

This is a boss for gearing up, not for raiders that are already geared up.
    Except he has been killed hundreds of times already, and none of the groups had full 522 gear. The kills have been absolute massacres because people had no clue about mechanics. Having more people around than intended makes spreading harder as well so it isn't as simple as "more players = easier kill".

when you have 100 people present there is NOT enough space to have them all spread 10 yards, especially melee who are limited to the small area behind the boss

also you need 'tactics' ie stack more blood dks and brewmasters to magic soak frill blasts gg. prot warriors were getting fodderized like nobody's business

Hey OP. Do you 'enjoy' sha/galleon? Where you just afk or sit on the ground while the boss falls over dead in front of you?

I enjoy Oondasta because he helps put the 'world' back in world of warcraft. He isnt dead a few minutes after spawning. There are people all over the place raging, fighting, arguing over where to pull/position/fight him/how to tank him/where to face him. People clammoring to form bigger groups and invite more people.

Then when hes pulled - everything turns to chaos.

Thats what a world boss should do guys. It gets the blood pumping. On the other hand: I just fly afk over sha/galleon and drop down at 10% to tag it for a free kill.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2013-03-20 at 12:12 PM.

Oondasta is a cluster fuck for mainly one reason. Every player on the server thinks its Galleon 2.0 and they should be there killing it. This is just not the case. My server threw 150 people at this fight, mostly mouth breathing keyboard turners that pull 10k dps, to the graveyard mixed in with maybe 10-15 of the top players on the realm. The main tank was in 510-515 avg Item level and I was able to solo heal him thru Frill Blasts up to 8 stacks of the growing anger buff (or whatever its called) so I am fairly sure it is doable with 40 people but when you throw 80+ at him and the Spiritfire Beam is destroying people that is what ruins the encounter. I'd love to try it with 40 people around 500 ilvl that are experienced raiders and see what happens. Fairly sure it would be doable and maybe even enjoyable. But the fact that people don't understand it's a hard boss and they need to take a hike is annoying.

Deleted
    It's been purposefully designed as anti-zerg, there's a reason Blizzard made chainlightning so deadly, to effectively counter the 100 zerg runs.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkle View Post
    It's been purposefully designed as anti-zerg, there's a reason Blizzard made chainlightning so deadly, to effectively counter the 100 zerg runs.
    But that is how most groups currently down it and I warrant that it will continue for some time. It is a poor design that you can constantly have your raid die and then ress and through attrition, kill the boss.

Also having that many people in one spot is a nightmare in terms of lag and low FPS. I was trying to heal it the other day and was lucky if the server even registered most of my heals before I died. I admire the concept of what Blizz were attempting with a difficult World Boss but its execution has been poor.

Deleted
    it takes too long
    it 1 shots after like 30seconds
    too many ppl are idiots
    the loot is awful
    looks like i wont get this achieve til 5.3, kinda like i did with galleon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderchain View Post
    Oondasta is a WAY overtuned World Boss.
    It' not overtuned, it's meant to be done with a heroic raiding organized group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by egeszsegere View Post
    Personally, i dont enjoy it at all, i only do it for the loot*.
    Why make a boss that requires 100+ to kill it, so we get 1 fps making it impossible to play, cant do a normal rotation or avaoid any of his abilities.
    Furthermore he is more or less untankable, since he 1 shots the tank now and then.
    So we end up not being able to play at all and be dead 75% of the encounter.
    Not my cuppah tea!

*didnt even get any loot, not even gold or bonusroll, so i think thats pretty bugged
    Like others said. it doesn't require 100+ people... It's tuned to need ONE Raid of excellent skilled and geared people.
    The problem is what the players make out of it. Blizzard could counter it by removing tag share for it, and the problem would be solved.
    Which would lead to the next problem of the locked out people bitching and whining how they never get a chance to fight the boss at all.
    The majority chooses to rather hit it and perma die than to not getting a hit and loot chance at all.. That's why the encounter is a clusterfuck, to say it rather relaxed.

If tanks are getting one shot, one of four things are happening: your tank is getting hit by Frill Blast without using a CD, your tank isn't swapping out when s/he has Crush Armor, your tank is undergeared, or Oondasta's enrage stacks are getting close to 10 - meaning your raid's DPS is terrible. I've seen all of these on my wipes on Oondasta. I'm not super geared (492 ilevel), but I can tank him reliably until about 50%. I've seen some of the best tanks on my server, Firetree, one tank him all the way without swapping.

Oondasta was meant as a replacement for Galleon. However, instead of being on a long cooldown, but still being a loot pinata like Galleon (Which was a poor way for a World Boss to be designed for organized guilds), Oondasta is actually difficult to present a challenge to organized guilds/groups. He can be killed with an organized 25-man if everyone has a mix of Heroic Tier 14 and Normal Tier 15 gear.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

I don't like Oondasta, but I'm generally not very fond of world bosses since even with the new faction-wide tap mechanic, they can be easily stolen by a few members of the opposite faction. PvE fights should not be about direct competition... the new IoT rares are just right in this regard.

And Oondasta can kill the whole raid pretty fast if someone *wants* to screw your progress. The fight is not complicated at all, but it is way too much of a bruteforce scenario.

Deleted
    World bosses are fail design in general.

I am missing the option: Haven't tried him yet since i'm on a dead server

This boss is really a case of intended design versus reality. Oondasta is stupid and only favors high pop realms. Even on our server we have enough 510+ people to kill it but never enough on at the same time. The boss is just zerged down and half the time it's a pathetic wipe fest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Hey OP. Do you 'enjoy' sha/galleon? Where you just afk or sit on the ground while the boss falls over dead in front of you?

I enjoy Oondasta because he helps put the 'world' back in world of warcraft. He isnt dead a few minutes after spawning. There are people all over the place raging, fighting, arguing over where to pull/position/fight him/how to tank him/where to face him. People clammoring to form bigger groups and invite more people.

Then when hes pulled - everything turns to chaos.

Thats what a world boss should do guys. It gets the blood pumping. On the other hand: I just fly afk over sha/galleon and drop down at 10% to tag it for a free kill.
    Hey stupid fuck forum troll

Yes i enjoyed galleon and sha, they were pushovers, but at least i could do a rotation and avoid stuff (play the game).
    I dont mind hard bosses, I cleared 11/16 hc in tier 14, so I consider myself a semi-hardcore pve-player.
    But Oondasta isnt hard because of the mechanics, but because its impossible to react to the mechanics with 1fps.
    I would much rather do it with a 40man grp than with 100+ laggy braindead zergfest as it is now.

Imo they should remove the faction tag system, thatll prevent the 10% tag free looters, and the retard sized raidgrps bashing their thick skulls against the boss.

Such language is not tolerated. -Azshira
    Last edited by Azshira; 2013-03-21 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post

That's how it is now with Ood. The world ranked guild on the server kills him, the rest of us run in, hit him one or twice, run out or die and just stay dead, wait 5 mins and then collect loot. It's a wonderful design
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-03-20 at 01:45 PM.

but at least i could do a rotation and avoid stuff (play the game).
    You can do your rotation on a target dummy, princess. You dont need a special world boss made up to do it. Everything I said still stands, the only thing you accomplished is making yourself look a little silly.

Id much rather do Oondasta with a chaotic 100-200 people running around like crazy. Thats different to most bosses in wow - and its fun for a change. We do not need another big target dummy boss for players like you, where you can spread out perfectly with 40 people and all happily do your pve rotation without interference or distraction whatsoever for 6-8 minutes. Yay.

That's how it is now with Ood. The world ranked guild on the server kills him, the rest of us run in, hit him one or twice, run out or die and just stay dead, wait 5 mins and then collect loot. It's a wonderful design
    Yea thats what I did yesterday. And its fun - whats the problem? I had a blast getting my tag then watching another 100-200 people attempt to zerg him like crazy while I was dead. Thats not something you see in the WORLD of warcraft often these days. Im not going to come here and pretend, like the above poster, the boss would have been more enjoyable if I can 'happily do my pve rotation'. I can do that on any target dummy and like 99% of bosses in this game whenever I want.

Blizzards stated goal with Pandaria was to bring the world back into WoW. And Oondasta is one of the successes they've had in pushing towards that design. He spawns and hundreds of people rush to face him - thats sweet.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2013-03-20 at 01:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is often difficult for Sneetches with no stars on their bellies to cope with the idea that some Sneetches have them.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.