Deleted

Combustion question - Really should have asked this before...

Afternoon all.

For reference: Armoury link
    World of Logs for our most recent kill here.

We are just a small raid team, killing bosses as fast as we can, but no major rush.
    I do tend to read up on my class a lot and strive to bring as much as I can to our raid team but I feel there is one thing I am lacking in with my fire spec. Combustion damage.

I feel I bring more as a fire mage than I would as frost, because I much prefer playing fire, I find the manoueverability to fit my playstyle and I just plain do more deeps as a fire mage
    I know my crit isn't super fantastic or owt, but I believe I'm not terrible for my gear level.

Anywho, main reason for posting this.
    I don't think I understand combustion as much as I should do.
    I use MyBigIgnite to track tick damage, but it doesn't seem to be doing as much as the counter says it should be. For example, I will get MBI saying something like 22k on it, then when I pop Combustion, it does something like 10k per tick.
    Am I reading this wrong, are my settings correct or is it something more in depth than that?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ixi

Remember, combustion takes 50% of your ignite and turns it into a dot. This is different than the 5.0 (pyro+ignite) and 5.1 (pre-hotfix nerf, just ignite 100%).

Deleted
    That explains that much...
    However, would you say my ticks are too low for my gear level?

Deleted
    15k average non crit ?

To me is seems very low. Did you read the stickied guide for fire mage ? Combustion mechanics is well explained there.

Get the add on 'Combustion Helper' It is very accurate at tracking your ignites etc and it it says you have a 34k tick generally you will have a 34k when you hit Combustion on the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by stormy78 View Post
    Get the add on 'Combustion Helper' It is very accurate at tracking your ignites etc and it it says you have a 34k tick generally you will have a 34k when you hit Combustion on the boss.

Fail

Fire really blows unless you have a crit% that can really produce consistent crits - and it's the nature of a crit percentage that consistency cannot be guaranteed.

I've used the 'guide' method for forcing four pyros in a row many times - but guess what, if none of them crit then your 50% combust is going to suck regardless of how many blasts you throw at them.

Deleted
    at 30% crit self buffed your way low on crit. You should really go practice your frost and you should see a significant increase in dps.

and ye the combustion part have been explained to you

15k avg combustion ticks means your using combustion on 30k ignites witch is really really low, especially on a fight like jin rokh where there is a damage multiplier. Some of this may be attributed to your very low crit% witch can make it hard to get a proper ignite rolling, but it still seems a very low.
    You also only used alter time once on a 4.43 sec fight, should be used twice =) same goes for mirror image.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stX3 View Post
    at 30% crit self buffed your way low on crit. You should really go practice your frost and you should see a significant increase in dps.

15k avg combustion ticks means your using combustion on 30k ignites witch is really really low, especially on a fight like jin rokh where there is a damage multiplier. Some of this may be attributed to your very low crit% witch can make it hard to get a proper ignite rolling, but it still seems a very low.
    You also only used alter time once on a 4.43 sec fight, should be used twice =) same goes for mirror image.
    Thanks for all the input. I'll try to apply it all.
    With regards to Combustion Helper, I didn't really get the deal with that. It shows you when you have LB, Ignite, Pyro Dot etc up as well as showing you a number. I assumed Mybigignite was the same, just without showing which dots you had active?
    I make it my goal to check that they are all up anyway, and both addons that track these are next to each other on my UI anyhow
    Am I missing anything greater in that regard?

Yes, my MI and alter time usages were poor.
    I tend to have a pull rotation which starts at about 4 in the countdown consisting of popping a pot, MI then precasting a pyro.
    During our kill, however, it was quite messy, so I just plain didn't remember to use MI again, and alter time isn't my friend on this fight. I have this nasty habit of casting it, then when the 6 seconds is up, I'm in a place I REALLY don't want to be in One good example of this is an annihilate on Spirit Kings.... I managed to do that twice in succession a few months back -.-

One question I did want to ask was, I assume MI gain a damage % bonus if I cast them when I'm in a conductive pool? Similar to casting them after a pot has been popped?

Cheers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixidron View Post
    I have this nasty habit of casting it, then when the 6 seconds is up, I'm in a place I REALLY don't want to be in One good example of this is an annihilate on Spirit Kings.... I managed to do that twice in succession a few months back -.-

Cheers.
    Read through the fire mage guide posts and check out the AT+PoM+Pyro macros. My alter time is hardly up for 2-3 seconds since it should be popped w/ HU+Pyro! procced and trinkets and procs and PoM then Pyro!>Pyro>(pyro hopefully)>AT>Pyro!>Pyro. Using combustion in there after a string of 2+ crits. Check that section of the guide out. Will keep you out of random crap with AT as well as optimise its use!

Quote Originally Posted by stX3 View Post

I am just amazed at your thunder-forged luck lol, 5 items is mental. Are you the only clothie in your group by any chance? I got 2 and was chuffed!

My armory eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/hellscream/Ponkster/simple

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixidron View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I'll try to apply it all.
    With regards to Combustion Helper, I didn't really get the deal with that. It shows you when you have LB, Ignite, Pyro Dot etc up as well as showing you a number. I assumed Mybigignite was the same, just without showing which dots you had active?
    Cheers.
    I dident say anything about combustion helper but now you mention it... I only use combustion helper, having both MBI and CmbH makes little sense. Choose witch ever you like the best. If you use MBI only, you should have another way of tracking your Bombs+pyro dot.

Personally i like combustion helper because i like the seperate magebomb tracker(not the one inside the square).
    about the numbers combustion helper is showing you. you can moderate it like you want, but if you see a number at the bottom(were combustion cd is tracked as well when on cd+showing current duration on any live combustion) it can be one of two things: Either it shows you your actual ignite witch should be the same as the middle(or top if "track magebomb" is turned off) Or it can show you the predicted tick of combustion(50% of current ignite) if you cast it right now + the amount of ticks based on your current haste, though this function have its flaws as it is a little bit behind ~0.5s-1s. Witch of the two is shown is dependant on a checkbox in the options. I personally use the predicted tick dmg + amount of ticks, but really only pay attention to the amount of ticks info and otherwise look at the actual ignite. shown above the pyrodot timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponkster View Post
    I am just amazed at your thunder-forged luck lol, 5 items is mental. Are you the only clothie in your group by any chance? I got 2 and was chuffed!

My armory eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/hellscream/Ponkster/simple
    No we are 25man so we got plenty of cloths. The hit+haste shoulders + mainhand i won on rolls :P but when i won the mainhand TF item, we got both normal and TF mainhand on same kill. But tbh its because of 25m its 6 items each boss with ~30% TF drop chance, we we generally get from 0-3 tf per boss.

Deleted
    If I were you I would go with CombustionHelper all the way. Everything you need to track on 1 place, what else do you want? And from my personal observations CombHelper is way faster in showing your numbers than MyBigIgnite. Which means you could pop Combustion with the accurate numbers instead of waiting them for 2-3 secs to show up and miss it. Check the sticky guide, the macros and everything, do them properly and you should be fine.

TL;DR
    Use CombustionHelper.