Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Two Handed Weapon and Shield Warrior Build

Hey all,

I've been toying with WoW for quite some time, but I'm still only half way through classic WoW. Anyways, I was thinking; if one were to obtain the Titan's Grip Talent (located under the Fury Dual-Wielding Tree, I believe), one could equip BOTH a two-handed weapon AND a shield. It has also come to my understanding (if my knowledge is correct) that although the two-handed weapon is wielded like a one-hander, it is still technically a two-handed weapon and thus benefits from any two-handed abilities and talents. This could potentially create a very versatile and survivable build. Unfortunately however, I can't test that out at the moment. Anyways, I have come to this forum for your opinion on the practicality of it, it's advantages, drawback's, appropriate talents, etc.

Thanks

Deleted
    I think you're a couple of years out of date my friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, you're about 6 years out of date. I did laugh though.

Deleted
    Sure, if you enjoy hitting nothing but Bloodthirst and Herioc Strike.

10+ Year Old Account
    No real practicality VERY rare cases at lower levels aside. But you CAN do it.

Last time I heard this suggestion I fell off my dinosaur.

unfortunately there was not alot of actual feed back besides the yes you can. give it
    im glad to see some proactive thinking in players, those who are willing to try out things.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did this once. Then Ulduar came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Hey all,

I've been toying with WoW for quite some time, but I'm still only half way through classic WoW. Anyways, I was thinking; if one were to obtain the Titan's Grip Talent (located under the Fury Dual-Wielding Tree, I believe), one could equip BOTH a two-handed weapon AND a shield. It has also come to my understanding (if my knowledge is correct) that although the two-handed weapon is wielded like a one-hander, it is still technically a two-handed weapon and thus benefits from any two-handed abilities and talents. This could potentially create a very versatile and survivable build. Unfortunately however, I can't test that out at the moment. Anyways, I have come to this forum for your opinion on the practicality of it, it's advantages, drawback's, appropriate talents, etc.

Thanks
    I tanked Karazahn like that in full T6 back when 3.0 first dropped at level 70. Fun times. Not a good idea nowadays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    I tanked Karazahn like that in full T6 back when 3.0 first dropped at level 70. Fun times. Not a good idea nowadays.
    Low level areas aside...I tanked a few randoms like that when our real one dropped...But this was while leveling so yeah.

Some of you need to get a fucking grip, hes a brand new player to wow, and a brand new poster to MMO, and this is the shit he gets for posting,

Asides the insults, they are right, 2h with a shield went out a long time ago, and isn't very viable now because of specializations, before when you could mix and match talents from all three branch's then it was fun to mess with, but nothing serious came of it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Some of you need to get a fucking grip, hes a brand new player to wow, and a brand new poster to MMO, and this is the shit he gets for posting,

Asides the insults, they are right, 2h with a shield went out a long time ago, and isn't very viable now because of specializations, before when you could mix and match talents from all three branch's then it was fun to mess with, but nothing serious came of it
    Which is why my advice to him is to have fun with it while he can or level lock himself LOL.

I've been toying with WoW for quite some time
    No. he isn't a new player. The fewest "new players" come to this forum anyways, so I don't think that holds water, more likely just trying to make a joke or brainfarted and forgot that you can't use Raging Blow without an off-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    ... 2h with a shield went out a long time ago, and isn't very viable now because of specializations, before when you could mix and match talents from all three branch's then it was fun to mess with, but nothing serious came of it
    So generally, this build's effectiveness peaks at BC content, and begins to dip off with WotLK. In other words, the build is mostly doable normally till Kil'Jaedan, then it starts to becomes more and more less useful afterwards.

While I do listen to the advice of long time veteran WoW players, I would still like to attempt this. I know that the Warrior is a very gear dependent class, so it may just be that when WotLK came out, there was a spike in difficulty for mobs and since better raid sets didn't come out until then end of the initial patch, I would assume that many players simply dropped the build before they attained that equipment. Or it could very well be that this build simply isn't strong enough for mobs after BC. Nonetheless, I will start experimenting once I purchase Dual-Talent Specialization, and hopefully something good will come of it. I might document this on Youtube. Thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    So generally, this build's effectiveness peaks at BC content, and begins to dip off with WotLK. In other words, the build is mostly doable normally till Kil'Jaedan, then it starts to becomes more and more less useful afterwards.

While I do listen to the advice of long time veteran WoW players, I would still like to attempt this. I know that the Warrior is a very gear dependent class, so it may just be that when WotLK came out, there was a spike in difficulty for mobs and since better raid sets didn't come out until then end of the initial patch, I would assume that many players simply dropped the build before they attained that equipment. Or it could very well be that this build simply isn't strong enough for mobs after BC. Nonetheless, I will start experimenting once I purchase Dual-Talent Specialization, and hopefully something good will come of it. I might document this on Youtube. Thank you for your input.
    No, it doesn't peak at BC. It was a different game back then with different talent systems and mechanics altogether. Feel free to attempt it, but you're going to be gimped as a tank if you take fury spec. All of the passive damage reduction is in the protection specialization.

I just started a warrior and wanted to check out fury. Of course at 15 the idea of walking around the barrens (again) wasn't super appealing so I figured I would roll over a few dungeons.

DPS queue 30 minutes... Tanking 3 seconds... So what the heck lets try sword and board. Blizz said it would be viable. Tossed a shield on and tanking was alright except for the constant, unending rage starvation. Without shield slam to generate rage it was literally "Charge... Heroic strike... pray this thing dies before I run out of rage."

If I had to bet, I wouldnt bet on Titansgrip doing much more for rage generation. It is a really cool thought, but as soon as I hit 30, I just dual spec'ed fury/prot. Fury for questing, prot for dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying it won't work, but what you're basically doing is taking the defensive side of the warrior, and the offensive side of the warrior, and trying to combine them. And what you end up with is a character who is alright at defense, and alright at offense, but not great at either role. If that's what you want, go for it. I personally wouldn't do it though, I like specialization.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I'm not saying it won't work, but what you're basically doing is taking the defensive side of the warrior, and the offensive side of the warrior, and trying to combine them. And what you end up with is a character who is alright at defense, and alright at offense, but not great at either role. If that's what you want, go for it. I personally wouldn't do it though, I like specialization.
    I am saying it won't work, because it won't

Well, I was thinking not about specing in Fury, just getting the Titan's Grip talent, then using the other points to invest in abilities that generate rage (such as shield slam), and then spending the rest on abilities that will: 1. allow me to survive a difficult mob and 2. to be able to use that two-handed sword to do serious damage. My basic idea is to be able to create a warrior who has the protection of a shield and the arms of a two-handed weapon - making a versatile build that can solo, group, DPS, tank, and raid.

Hmmm, a lot of the replies seemed to be humorous tho (or at least trying to be). If not, a slightly more than parchment thin skin is probably going to be an asset playing wow, better he(/she) learn the fact now

Best of luck and welcome.

It's worth trying crazy/random stuff out early on, don't stress about those that will poke fun at you for it but hear them regardless as they probably say it with good reason even if they don't say it nicely.
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2013-03-20 at 06:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.