View Poll Results: Are Night Elves mutated from Trolls via the Well of Eternity?

Voters
125. This poll is closed
  • Yes

96 76.80%
  • No

21 16.80%
  • Unsure

8 6.40%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    To the best of my knowledge I seem to recall Highborne were no different to ordinary Night Elves physically. They were just part of the upper class of their society who believed in their arrogance they were a new race. The reason their powers were different was because they were the people who had access to the Well while the others did not.
    Yeah is true, but after the Well of Eternity disaster (the sundering), they got kicked out of their home, and with the time they started to change and became Hight Elfs

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I don't feel good if you want to ask me. I thought Night Elves were children of Elune, a beautiful god, not a genetic modification of (primitive)trolls.
    They are. Night elves were more or less remade in her image. If you notice the male night elves are similar to Cenarius who is the child of Elune and Malorne. It's not as if they just evolved like that, they were pretty much reshaped by Elune and the well of eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    Happens to the best of us
    Oh lord. Kitt?? What are the odds
    http://zinistra.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Actually... makes me a little sad that I am an arcane Highbourne version of a mutated troll. I figured we came from somewhere... didn't know it was night elves :P
    Yes, Trolls are your grandpas.

Has it ever been stated where the trolls actually come from

They are obviously a elder race but are they a seed race like the dwarfs planted by the titans or are they creations of the old gods themselves or did they just evolve from a lower creature?

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post

They are obviously a elder race but are they a seed race like the dwarfs planted by the titans or are they creations of the old gods themselves or did they just evolve from a lower creature?
    Probably murlocs.

10+ Year Old Account

I think they evolved from a lower creature...

Edit: I checked in wowpedia, and it said they are a pre-titan race, so they were not created by the titans

10+ Year Old Account

Hopefully they evolved from Murlocs... which means we would all be Murlocs.. I'd play a Murloc

10+ Year Old Account
    It bothers me when playing my Night Elf as much as knowing that my Dwarf and Human are both descended from dirt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully they evolved from Murlocs... which means we would all be Murlocs.. I'd play a Murloc
    Well the Jinyu are evolved Murlocs, so if they ever become playable you will be able to play a Murloc :P

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    But they are elves, even if they are evolved Trolls. The term evolve pretty much means "to become better"
    no it doesnt

---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 02:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    They are. Night elves were more or less remade in her image. If you notice the male night elves are similar to Cenarius who is the child of Elune and Malorne. It's not as if they just evolved like that, they were pretty much reshaped by Elune and the well of eternity.
    no they werent, thats just night elf mythology. we have no idea what elune looks like except for some very very very old concept art
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    no they werent, thats just night elf mythology. we have no idea what elune looks like except for some very very very old concept art
    We know what Cenarius looks like, he is half stag half elune. We know what his sons and daughters look like. Night elves are very similar to him so it's a very good hypothesis. You can't just say "no they weren't" without backing it up though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    True, is very likely that Elune es not what we think she is, it have been said that is likely for her to be a Naaru (Not confirmed)

---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 12:52 PM ----------

I will copy something from Wowpedia, Note: that's an speculation

Elune, once a mortal?

While proven by Brann Bronzebeard's archaeological research that night elves were descended from trolls (dark trolls are their closest ancestors), and Zanza the Restless, a mortal becoming a powerful Loa, it is highly possible that Elune was once a mortal that ascended into a deity by the Well of Eternity's magics, transforming her to become more closely akin to the Titans' own image since the Well was their creation. This would explain why the night elves bear resemblance to the dryads and keepers of the grove, who themselves have a biological link to Elune herself. In addition, Elune might not be her 'mortal name' as their language had changed over the ages (from Zandali to Darnassian), and since the night elves revered her as the mother of their race, Elune might have been a powerful matriarch of her tribe, which fits the claim of her being the Night Warrior. Night elves sometimes refer to Elune as "the Great Mother",[20] although this is possibly due to her parentage of the revered Cenarius.

Deleted
    As bothered as having primates for ascendance. Superior races evolve from lesser ones, more news at 0:00.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I hate night elves. They are very popular as DK tanks, hunters, and druids. But somewhere, likely another thread, I read about how the night elves are nothing more than mutated Trolls thanks to the magical power qualities of the Well of Eternity.

I think it's amusing, that if this is true, they are pretty high and mighty for being a second-hand troll. Is anyone able to confirm this through any of the novels at all? I tried checking different web-sources, but they all use the term "possible, but unclear" and reference that it is coincidental that the only race living near the well at the time was Trolls.

Just looking for a little confirmation that night elves aren't really elves at all.

EDIT: Now that we have confirmed Night Elves are mutated trolls, I wonder how many people who strictly play Night Elves, or who have a Night Elf main are bothered by this Troll discovery in their ancestry.
    Just want to point out, your avatar? A BE? Is just a mutated NE-highborne. Which makes a BE a mutated mutant.

Also, this bit of lore has been known for years.

I do remember a quest or something where Elune brings back a Satyr from the dead after he sacrifices himself to save some little girl. She also turns him back into a night elf or something. Naaru are not capable of reviving the dead, they couldn't even cure the plague. If she is a naaru, she is more powerful than any naaru that has been seen anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Blood elves are the crack addicts of High elf society, high elves are the descendants of those who the night elves booted out of western Kalimdor for making deals with demons in return of wiping out all but those who were of noble blood and living in the city.
    no they were booted out after being an integral part of beating back the demons, if it werent for dath'remars rebels tyrande would be dead, and they most likely wouldve lost the war since the highbourne rebels provided important information the druids would never have had.

then after the war was over even though without them they wouldve all died and malfurions wife wouldve been sacrificed they had the nerve to tell them they couldnt use magic anymore. so they protested by creating a mana storm and they gave them an option, be executed or leave and never return.

so the highbourne said "fine we dont liek your crappy druid food anyways!!!" got on some boats and sailed across the ocean where from a mix of tirisfal underground whatchamacallit, and a shift to diurnal sleeping patterns they became paler and their ears grew or something.

BAM high elves

---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 03:01 PM ----------

We know what Cenarius looks like, he is half stag half elune. We know what his sons and daughters look like. Night elves are very similar to him so it's a very good hypothesis. You can't just say "no they weren't" without backing it up though.
    yeah but we dont know exactly how that works. did elune actually give birth to him? or did she help "create" him we dont know exactly. if she did thats kind of weird because it means some god thing hooked up with a giant deer, why? we dont know but shes obviously some kind of pervert O-O
    Last edited by Immitis; 2013-03-20 at 07:04 PM.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Deleted
    I have heard of people who are bothered by it, mainly because it takes the "created by Elune" idea and throws it away, and some people don't like it for the same reason some people are offended if someone says we share a common ancestor with apes ("my grandfather was not a monkey"). I'm not sure if I like the idea because it robs the Night Elves some of their uniqueness, but in another way I like the idea of evolution in WoW. It makes a lot of sense. I think if someone should be offended, it should be the Troll fans, because that basically means Night Elves are more evolved than Trolls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    Just want to point out, your avatar? A BE? Is just a mutated NE-highborne. Which makes a BE a mutated mutant.

Also, this bit of lore has been known for years.
    Yep, figured all that out at the end of page 1 and start of page 2 Thanks for stopping by though.

I do remember a quest or something where Elune brings back a Satyr from the dead after he sacrifices himself to save some little girl. She also turns him back into a night elf or something. Naaru are not capable of reviving the dead, they couldn't even cure the plague. If she is a naaru, she is more powerful than any naaru that has been seen anyway.
    the satyr wasnt brough back to life, he was just changed back into a night elf out of his own selflessness to give a dying little girl his own heart.

also we have no idea how powerful the naaru are we have only seen like 5 of them.