Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What are RBGs like?

I've recently rerolled and by rerolled I mean full tilt restarting from scratch and doing an about turn from PvE. I love my Hunter and wanted something new so here I am levelling up thinking of what sort of PvP I really enjoy and feel I do my best at. You have no idea where I'm going with this do you?

So I'm wondering what RBGs are like. They seem to be the most suited to my play style but I'm just wondering if they are more equal and easier to start with than arena. My thinking is yes given more room to manuver and more of a recourse pool to call on. Not saying anything bad about it though since I'm asking since I prefer this way of playing.

Are Hunters any good in RBGs? Will it be hard for me to find a guild that will do them frequently?
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunters arent very desirable in RBGs. Casters do better damage, have better CC, more utility. So you rarely see a hunter, its almost always 1-3 locks, 1-3 mages, 1-2 Moonkins, maybe a Shadow Priest, then a DK or 2.

If you really think RBGs is what you want to do then I'd strongly suggest rerolling a caster, Blizzard has shown 0 willingness to balance RBGs, so caster domination will not end; making finding RBG groups a huge pain for classes like Hunter.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Ah come on... First I was a Retadin and now I try something that always mopped the floor with me and look how that ends. I'll just slug through it and hope I get picked up.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    Ah come on... First I was a Retadin and now I try something that always mopped the floor with me and look how that ends. I'll just slug through it and hope I get picked up.
    Hunters are still great in Arena, its just RBGs are so fucked class wise right now its hard to get spots.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

I would have hoped with the buffs that Hunter would at the very least have picked up some strength in node defending RBgs where space is used as a tool.

Hunters are still used in some RBG groups. Obviously not as desirable as some classes, but can defend bases better than a lot of classes and have good AoE as Surv.

10+ Year Old Account
    You will be able to find a spot in 2k- rbgs but hunters don't exist at high ratings

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    Hunters are still used in some RBG groups. Obviously not as desirable as some classes, but can defend bases better than a lot of classes and have good AoE as Surv.
    This, hunter are great base defenders. It's very hard to get a ninja tap against them and thanks to the pet they can hold out quite long on top of that rogues don't usually get the drop on them because they're stealthed aswell.

What do you mean by room to maneuver and recourse pool?

I'll be honest, I've only been in non-planned RBGs (openraid and pug ones) and they're always stressful and never work out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    This, hunter are great base defenders. It's very hard to get a ninja tap against them and thanks to the pet they can hold out quite long on top of that rogues don't usually get the drop on them because they're stealthed aswell.
    Yeah. Honestly Camo is just straight up BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    You will be able to find a spot in 2k- rbgs but hunters don't exist at high ratings
    Played vs a close to 2500 rated group with a hunter some days ago. Like someone said already they are really good at defending a base and they are good at attacking a base for that matter, too. You have to be pretty good to get a spot on such highrated teams though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipostylor View Post
    Played vs a close to 2500 rated group with a hunter some days ago. Like someone said already they are really good at defending a base and they are good at attacking a base for that matter, too. You have to be pretty good to get a spot on such highrated teams though.
    this pretty much.

hunters can also bring crit immunity to the tank, good base defending as previously mentioned. alot of knock backs, alot of instant cc. good aoe as survival. a hunter doing all of this really well would likely get picked again. however its just far easier to take a rogue/2nd lock/2nd boomkin/shadow in that slot

Is it that the Hunter is lacking the burst that people call for in PvP or something else? I'm just wondering where the Hunter is falling short.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    They are boring.

Quote Originally Posted by ebah View Post
    They are boring.
    Why? More people increases the challenge surely?

They are boring because in good rbg groups hunters spend all their time defending a base by themselves for AB style maps. If they know what they are doing they can't be ninja-capped cuz of ranged + pet + survivability when defensive. Especially as BM when their pet can break cc as well as the hunter since the goal is to just live as long as possible til your team comes to help if you can't solo them.

Your rbg experience will vary, until you find a solid group somehow or get into a guild that is serious about it. If you are good at solo defending a flag you are valuable, and if you know how to focus kill targets in wsg/TP you will get far with that alone.

Play the class you like and you are confortable with, but I must to tell you that defend a base is quite boring...

And note that just now I have played RBG against 2 teams as follows:
    Resto druid
    Holy priest
    Blood/Unholy DK (According to the map)
    7 hunters
    You can't image how crazy was that... how many targets and how huge burst! each swicht they use 2 stampedes! I was on a balanced team, and was horrible both matches, because they are really hard to kill with deterreance and faking death... always have enough time to get the healers on them.
    We won 1 and lose another one.

I have seen quite a lot of hunters in RBGs. Like everyone said above they are very good at defending a flag and in 1v1 situations. However in my opinion you should play what you like. Don't play what is more in demand right now, just pick up a class that you are really into. That way you make sure you will keep the interest up and eventually you will become way better at that class than the FOTM one.

Playstyle wise I think RBGs are more fun than Arenas. They require more coordonation and strong communication, but in the end you have a lot of fun. It gives you that feeling of being part of a group and pulling your own weight in it. To me arena vs RBG is a bit like dungeon vs raid.

Hunters still get used in RBGs.
    Just not as common as double lock/double mage and double dks are lol.

Gets used a lot more than any melee DPS except for DKs.

In most RBGs you AoE on a flag for a good 10 minutes or so until the other team decides to leave. Sometimes you'll end up in a CtF BG though. Which means you actually get to AoE on a mobile flag in stead. As you can see it's very exciting.