Page 1 of 2
LastLast

tortos's bats, best tank for the job on 25 man

hello

my 25 man guild is currently progressing on this boss but but our bat tank is almost always getting 1 shot, we have a prot pala on the boss and our bat tank is a bear, we have 1 dedicated healer for the bat tank and 3-4 healers keeping an eye on him.

now for the questions

what is the best tank for the bats. should we just be sticking more healers on him, our next raid is Sunday, advice is greatly, appreciated. i forgot to add that this is on normal
    Last edited by thunderdragon2; 2013-03-22 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    hello

my 25 man guild is currently progressing on this boss but but our bat tank is almost always getting 1 shot, we have a prot pala on the boss and our bat tank is a bear, we have 1 dedicated healer for the bat tank and 3-4 healers keeping an eye on him.

now for the questions

what is the best tank for the bats. should we just be sticking more healers on him, our next raid is sunday, advice is greatly aprecated.
    Actually druid is quite good for the bats - their active mitigation being avoidance introduces an element of randomness which is diluted over multiple hits as is the case with the bats. The druid will of course need to have literally 100% uptime of SD while tanking the bats - if they're dying check the logs and take a look at Savage Defense buff uptime. 100% is totally reasonable to expect out of any raiding guardian over a 20-30s period, which you can isolate by selecting that segment on the graph (look for the damage taken spike from the bats).

If you're not comfortable with log analysis you can always post them here and someone will help you out.

It may be wise to create a rotation of cooldowns for each group of bats. I'd suggest if you have a disc priest that they try to spam spirit shell on the tank each time.

Deleted
    Bear/Paladin. The instant self heal to go over the drain limit imideately after crush is all u need. Their melee dmg is poor anyway, the drain is what does the dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by Tishko View Post
    Bear/Paladin. The instant self heal to go over the drain limit imideately after crush is all u need. Their melee dmg is poor anyway, the drain is what does the dmg.
    they melee for upwards of 50k, drain hits for ~10k... the problem is if you have lets say 8 bats and you get 8 unmitigated simultaneous hits for 50k. They don't immediately switch to draining when someone drops below 350k, they still hit the fuck out of them with their normal attack for a second.

When and why is your bat tank dying? If he's dying during or right after the quake stomp, work out a stun rotation for the quake stomps, or make sure the bat tank's healer is BoP'd during each quake stomp so they can keep on healing, or root and run away from the bats just before the stomp.

If you have a stun rotation set up but the bat tank is dying because rockfalls drop him down to drain the weak status, it doesn't matter what class he is, he doesn't have enough awareness to keep track of the bats and the rocks at the same time. In that case you'd be better off switching him to the boss and letting your other tank try.

I point out that I run 10m and not 25m.

In 10m though, my druid seems to do quite a decent job of tanking the bats. A druid's main weakness is his chance to take huge spike damage from massive attacks (like Sha's Thrash) when his dodge fails. As dennisdkramer pointed out though, dodge really shines when you're aoe tanking, as you're just taking a constant stream of fairly mediocre hits. All in all they add up to quite a considerable amount of damage, but each hit on its own is fairly harmless. Since a druid can keep Savage Defense up through the entirety of each bat 'phase', he'll be dodging the majority of these hits. Not only that, but this is one of these scenarios where a druid's massive amount of armor is quite helpful.

That being said, I'm fairly sure all tanks are quite capable of tanking the bats. It mostly just comes down to the tank actually using his abilities correctly while tanking them. (assuming the healers pull their weight) For all we know, your bear tank isn't keeping his SD up during bat phase, which would make it very easy for you to pinpoint the problem.

ninotcha its not the quake then that bats that are killing him its solely the bats, once he runs out of cds, that's it ill try and find the wol of yesterday

im not the best with wol so help with this is appreciated the tanks should be easily spoted as i said in the op we have a prot pally on tortos and a bear on bats

we had a few attempts at 3tanking it but that didn't go well

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/q00g8pljiyywrmnb/ <-- wol for last night
    Last edited by thunderdragon2; 2013-03-22 at 02:46 PM.

The strat for heroic bats is to kite them with a brewmaster, and stun them before every quake stomp so they don't catch up. This is probably doable in normal mode as well if you are having trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by InkarnateKT View Post
    The strat for heroic bats is to kite them with a brewmaster, and stun them before every quake stomp so they don't catch up. This is probably doable in normal mode as well if you are having trouble.
    unfortunatly we dont have a brewmaster

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    unfortunatly we dont have a brewmaster
    having a good holy priest to feather your tank probably works too

edit: err i guess any spec priest :P

We tried having a Monk kite the bats but it was too much effort, Warrior and Paladin both facetanked them infront of boss and all was fine.

You're in a 25, you're spoiled for choice of people who can stun. There should be no reason your bat tank ever takes an unmitigated bat hit. Just be sure that you don't stun too much and run into diminishing returns.

In that log, you have 4 pallies who can do Blinding Light, your prot pally can do Dazing Shield, 2 mages who can spec to Dragon's Breath, a warrior who can spec to Shockwave, 2 locks who can spec to Shadowfury, 2 DKs for Remorseless Winter. I think other classes have stuns/dazes too that can help, those are just the ones that I know work.

Plus with all of those paladins, you've got potentially 8 Hand of Protections to hand out, and two of your healers can bubble themselves. Helps enormously during the big rockfalls after a stomp.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was on bats this week when our other tank seemed to get killed too often. Just rolled CD's and stuns and it wasn't a problem.

I think a lot of tanks get caught by falling rocks or turtles as it happened to me when first learning the fight, so it could be a matter of player skill as much as the class.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

We 1 tank the fight with a blood dk, have hunter MD bats to the tank, have your pally's roll sacrifice's and other raid cds and win.

We have 1 undergeared tank (monk), so we stuck him on the boss and had our warr tank the bats. Having a Resto Shaman to give the bat tank the extra HP, and a disc to shield + DA + SS if needed should help a lot. And physical damage mitigation for the Quake Stomp. It hits for 65% of your max HP as physical damage, and you have to keep the tank at over 350K to prevent bat-rape. More HP = better, and physical damage mitigation for the stomp. The bats themselves don't hit for that much unless the tank is below 350K.

Put the bear on the boss and the paladin on the adds.

10+ Year Old Account
    For 25 man? Monk all the way. Kite kite kite forever and never lose aggro. Don't even need any gear.
    3 manning all Challenge Modes on GOLD! - Youtube.com/MyCelar

i thought as much butler i've put all this on the guild forum for the officers and gm to look at so hopefully they will take heed of something and try it

Quote Originally Posted by Celar View Post
    For 25 man? Monk all the way. Kite kite kite forever and never lose aggro. Don't even need any gear.
    I love these forums.

We have a pala and a bear.

MMO hero poster solution? Kite with a brewmaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I love these forums.

We have a pala and a bear.

MMO hero poster solution? Kite with a brewmaster.
    Have some melee help with the kiting. DK with chillbains or warrior with piercing howl right before quake.