Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Help my healing - Tortos 10man (Disc Priest)

Hey guys,

Looking for some healing help, advice or tips for Tortos 10man normal. We're currently doing it with 2 tanks, 3 healers and 5 DPS (1 of which is a melee).

My armory:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...vissa/advanced

At the moment, I'm still going with the crit build. I'm aware the haste build is better if you have good mana mangement, however, I haven't been healing on the priest for long (Only geared it to help out on Grand Empress Shek-zeer). Thus, my knowledge of disc healing is limited to what i've read on icy-veins and other guides so I'm still getting used to it.

World of Logs from tonights attempts:

www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-xtmlh59x5of119vi - I'm not entirely sure how to group and link just the tortos attempts, but that's the logs from tonight.

I feel like i've hit a brick wall in my healing skills of Tortos. Please don't tell me I'm crap, or to delete wow. I know I am, just help me

Thanks.
    Last edited by mmoc6dac8cfd43; 2013-03-22 at 01:16 PM.

Use much more power word shields, and unglyph it. The absorb is much more useful than the tiny heal, which will be covered by hots from your other healers. You should be spamming PW:S before quakes if you can't stay still and cast SS due to rockfalls or spinning shells.

On our first kill my PW:S was top at 26% of healing, Atonement at 19%, SS at 15%, Cascade at 10%, DA at 10%. I was using a Crit==Mastery spec at the time but recently going Crit>Mastery.

For Tortos, I also run a Crit build, and I atonement heal until there is 15 seconds until quake, then I spirit shell stack the raid until quake goes off. I then cast Cascade right as I'm getting knocked down by quake, and then I try to prayer of healing the raid, but if I have to move, I try to coat the raid with Power Word: Shield's. Then when a shell is kicked into the boss for the interrupt, I go back to atonement healing because the boss takes an extra 25% damage. I repeat this the entire fight. I also keep shields on the tanks, and Prayer of Mending on CD. I did 60k hps-ish doing this. That's how I personally do it. Maybe there's a better way.

Deleted
    Helpful tips, thanks.

I should add that I was really struggling to make effective use of Spirit Shell due to constantly moving around to avoid Rockfall and the turtles. Are there any tips for that or do I just need to get an element of luck involved whereby I end up in a spot that doesn't get rockfall/turtles?

Quote Originally Posted by TheoneknownasDave View Post
    Helpful tips, thanks.

I should add that I was really struggling to make effective use of Spirit Shell due to constantly moving around to avoid Rockfall and the turtles. Are there any tips for that or do I just need to get an element of luck involved whereby I end up in a spot that doesn't get rockfall/turtles?
    Watch your dbm timers, and start stacking Spirit Shell 20 - 15 seconds before quake, let SS absorb quake, and then just run around avoiding turtles and rockfalls spamming power word shields on the raid. You should be able to put up Spirit Shell up for every other quake.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CallMePin View Post
    Watch your dbm timers, and start stacking Spirit Shell 20 - 15 seconds before quake, let SS absorb quake, and then just run around avoiding turtles and rockfalls spamming power word shields on the raid. You should be able to put up Spirit Shell up for every other quake.
    Thanks, will give it a try in our next raid.

Others have basically already said it. Personally I Atonement quite a lot on Tortos, while keeping PW:S on both tanks. I wouldn't say I PoM on CD, but with all the rockfall, turtle and quake damage on everyone, I use it quite often. Other than that, it's just Shell before every other quake (Comes too often to do it before every quake) and Cascade just as Tortos is in the air to stomp. I'll occasionally toss a few PoH's out post-quake, usually after a non-shell one. At that point I go back to Atonement spam/Shields on tanks until next quake pretty much. PW:S on everyone on the quakes you can't shell would probably be a decent idea as well, but remember that it sucks a lot of mana from you.

You're 3 healing it like I did, so really, other than the quake stuff and shields on tanks (And maybe CDs on bat tank) you really shouldn't be needed for serious targeted healing when it isn't quake-time, so you can safely Atonement heal and get Tortos down that small bit faster. We ran Pala/Druid/Disc for healing, kept Paladin on bat tank, beacon on Tortos tank, Druid and me on raid and tanks only as needed.

Personally I found that I could be strapped for mana in the fight already, doing it as I do, but I'm not particularly well-geared. Did Tortos last week as 491, and while I'm 500 now, all my upgrades have been non-spirit, so even with reforging I'm actually lower still. I think, once you're more geared in spirit ToT gear, you can probably comfortably PW:S the entire raid on every odd quake, and maybe you already can if your gear is better than what I entered in with.
    Last edited by Sevyvia; 2013-03-22 at 07:01 AM.

I go full atonement while there is no quake and use AA+SS/Inner Fire on the first quake followed by shieldspamming and on the other quake I use Power Infusion/Inner Will and pre-shield the raid with PW:S.
    Healing together with a holy pala and resto shaman on that fight
    Congratz Jesus the Solar Messiah, Ynf Ynf!
    Mah Warrior

Deleted
    That haste is better is Bullshit.

Stay full Crit and go for Full atonement for that fight, And use RaidCD's right before Quake stomp kicks in.

Also always use Spiritshell for Quake stomp. Skill Divine Insight, ts EXTREMELY good if you gave enough mana to go without Power Infusion. Especially if you play full atonement, DI is a must have.

Deleted
    General: Spam Atonement. Shield on Rapture cd.

Quake: - Spirit Shell first, PWS spam as much you can second, Spirit Shell third etc. Use AA here! Sometimes your mana will struggle, but just give as many shields you can. Cascade just as Quake Hits (Like you would do on Garalon) is amazing too.
    PoM on tanks (Especially with glyph), but also just before quake, when your not SSing, as it should heal for all charges.

I would go Smite Glyph, and Holy Fire glyph instead of PoM/Shield, but thats just me. Also, Body and Soul is really good for saving people asses, even tho you get more personal speed of the feathers. I also prefer Solace myself, but I doubt thats just me :P - The instant part I find nice on the move, but it might end out with less mana overall, duo to inefficient use.

Deleted
    Do not spamm PW:S , that just useless and will drain your mana in seconds to 0.

Glyph Smite, Inner sanctum and Penance, Penance Glyph is extremely strong on this boss since you have to move alot and can still procc DI to shield the tanks even with Weakened Soul debuff.

As is stated above, just roll Raid Cooldowns for each Quake stomp and always use Spiritshell.

Besides that, stand somewhere in the Room and Smite+Solace(or Holy Fire) and Penance the boss. Use shields on DI Proccs and Always Shield the Tanks.

Deleted
    You might find it useful to stand nearly underneath the boss when you pop SS, I realize there is no hard evidence on that turtles roll there more seldom than other places in the room, but it's where I stand 95% of the time in our 25man and next to never have to move for a turtle.

Might be worth a try if you find turtles to be a pain in the ass whilst trying to get SS up, not a whole lot to lose.
    You can also have one of your paladins bopping you (or any other healer for that matter) for a quake to avoid the stun. We usually do it on our Holy so she can hymn, but whatever works for your comp.

Deleted
    Some good advice there from everyone, appreciated.

I'm now rolling with glyph's of Holy Fire, Smite and Penance, although if I try to stand on or near the boss to avoid the turtles I may swap the Holy Fire glyph out for something else. Changed my talents as suggested as well. Our next raid is on Sunday, I'll give the tips mentioned a try and report back

Thanks all.

Use Halo after every stomp..it does some crazy healing on this fight.

Deleted
    DO not Use Halo or Cascade after the stun.

Do it right the second the boss casts it because the spells will start healing while everyone is stunned.

Deleted
    DI is not the best choice for this fight imo, 1st quake you have no adds & plenty of time so SS should be capped, 2nd quake you can combine PI & PW:S to blanket the raid with shields without having your mana pool destroyed, after that use SS as much as possible, although movement can make it a bit hard to effectively stack it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spraytwist View Post

Glyph Smite, Inner sanctum and Penance, Penance Glyph is extremely strong on this boss since you have to move alot and can still procc DI to shield the tanks even with Weakened Soul debuff.

As is stated above, just roll Raid Cooldowns for each Quake stomp and always use Spiritshell.

Besides that, stand somewhere in the Room and Smite+Solace(or Holy Fire) and Penance the boss. Use shields on DI Proccs and Always Shield the Tanks.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe quake stomp is physical damage, so Inner Fire glyph would help more than Inner Sanctum.

Actually I layer the raid in PW:S while in Inner Sanctum, it barely drains my mana (I've got 16k spi while flasked).
    But like everyone here said. SS then PW:S then SS the stomps.
    Additionally, if you want more time to heal, get slows on the spinners. They are really annoying.

No offense, but you could not be any more wrong. A lot of fights in this tier (Jinrok/horridon/megera... oh wait, actually all of them) at some point coating 1-2 groups with PW:Shield before an AOE phase is 100% effective and the way to be playing disc right now. If you check logs of disc priests, you will notice the higher ranking priests are using PW:S a megaton more then last tier, it's a mix between WoTLK and what we saw last tier. Just enough ability to use it as a semi-coater and not be punished.

Obviously you don't want to do this every single stomp, weaving like others and myself have said but, if you are geared with enough regen and using proper trinkets it's not going to drain your mana that badly, and if it is then switch to inner will.

Inner sanctum does nothing on this fight, it's all physical damage. Inner fire glyph > sanctum.

The boss also frequently has a debuff increasing damage taken, using penance as a heal VS offensive on this fight is not a wise choice honestly. The smart healing atonment does from it is far, far better esp if it's being enhanced by a damage increase debuff on the boss.

Saying "Always use spirit shell" almost sounds like you mean on cooldown, which again.. no. 15-18 seconds before stomp, then you give yourself a second or two to throw cascade + a shield or two, or even a PoM.

Slightly off-topic ...

Did this fight last night. 3-heals, Resto Shaman Disc Priest Holy Priest. Holy felt really good for stomp healing. Lightspring + Cascade to bring people up quick + PoM (DI proc'd preferably) and then throw a CoH while you move out of rock falls, find a nice spot and throw some PoH. Our disc dis lots of Atonement, SS every 2nd one when possible (goddamn RNG turtles), and Cascade the stomp.

Also, Void Shift is awesome for getting out of trouble on the bat tank if he eats a rock fall or something. So is GS.

Worth noting is that at the end (sub 20%) there are SO MANY TURTLES (I think we had 6 or 7) that you will be very unlikely to get a very good SS off.