Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    This. The problem is that the severity of the crime is usually far more than the punishment. If we made the punishment for such crimes so obscenely over the top (all forms of rape, all forms of murder, anything that would incur a life sentence should all be punishable by death) not only would it curb such crimes (to an extent, let's get serious here, people are fucking stupid), put it would also seriously cut down on prison populations as well as how much we spend on them. So either people will sober up and stop being fucking stupid, or we will thin our population at an alarming rate. I see it as a win - win situation.
    Or we could go back to the Dark Ages like you suggested. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

This. The problem is that the severity of the crime is usually far more than the punishment. If we made the punishment for such crimes so obscenely over the top (all forms of rape, all forms of murder, anything that would incur a life sentence should all be punishable by death) not only would it curb such crimes
    In made up fantasy land.

Then again judging from 2012's numbers 47% of the country lives in such a land.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Or we could go back to the Dark Ages like you suggested. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    i agree with endersblade. murder should be punishable by death.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i agree with endersblade. murder should be punishable by death.

Then both of you can go live in the Dark Ages.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Welfare reduces crime rates, not the other way around.
    Crime is more prevalent in areas where most people are on some type of welfare

Im not advocating for an end to welfare by any means with that statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then both of you can go live in the Dark Ages.
    i see so since you dont have an actual response your just going to lash out with an emotional response. got it. as endersblade has stated these types of people are monsters. they are not ever going to function in society. so what exactly is the point of keeping them locked up behind bars when our prisons are overcrowded and could use the space?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-03-25 at 07:17 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Crime is more prevalent in areas where most people are on some type of welfare

Im not advocating for an end to welfare by any means with that statement.
    Correlation, not causation. Wildfires are more prevalent in areas with well-funded wildfire prevention programs. Is Smoky the Bear causing wildfires, or does Smoky exist because without him, wildfires would be an even bigger issue?

10+ Year Old Account
    We're long overdue for a dark ages anyway, why not?

You can cry and scream all that snotty bullshit about what's wrong and what's right, but it doesn't matter in these cases. These people made a conscious choice to become a monster. We are talking about people who go against all the rules of society; these people cannot be helped, nor does anyone but silly bleeding hearts really think they can. These are people who commit atrocities to others for the simplest, inane reasons, who see nothing wrong with it. Why keep them in prison? Why make them spend the rest of their life there, living on taxpayer dollars? I for one do NOT like the thought of supporting murders, rapists and the like. Do you?

You stop being a human at that point, and just become a monster. You aren't worth saving for any reason. We have more than enough people to contend with as it is, why the hell should we bother supporting those of us who don't wish to fit into society?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Gangs and War on Drugs are big issue with the high number of people behind bars. I would venture to say most country don't have the number of gang members or drug users ( i am talking stuff other then pot). Put that together with the fact a lot of gang members and drug users do not want to be reformed and just view being locked up as a status symbol at least for gang members. The us does have programs that will help with some people who want to get into said programs in prison. Could we use more? yes but at the same time prison isn't summer school and wasting money on mandatory programs on people who don't want to be reformed seems foolish to me.

Deleted
    The problem is that the severity of the crime is usually far more than the punishment.
    Guy who got a life sentence for shoplifting nine videotapes? With the three-strikes rule, check the Stephen Fry video early in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    Guy who got a life sentence for shoplifting nine videotapes? With the three-strikes rule, check the Stephen Fry video early in this thread.
    i agree the three strikes rule in theory is a nice idea but in practice not so good. the problem is the law doesnt distinguish between minor petty crime(im sorry but getting life for shoplifting 9 videotapes made me laugh at the sillyness of it all.) and murder. not sure why it doesnt.

Deleted
    You can cry and scream all that snotty bullshit about what's wrong and what's right, but it doesn't matter in these cases.
    Right and wrong don't matter?

You, sir, just left the civilized world. Goodbye!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I think the best answer is to appoint really good judges and stop electing them in areas where we do.
    Area determines the effectiveness of judges?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    Right and wrong don't matter?

You, sir, just left the civilized world. Goodbye!
    all the first world industrialized/developed countries that have the death penalty would like to say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensui06 View Post
    Gangs and War on Drugs are big issue with the high number of people behind bars. I would venture to say most country don't have the number of gang members or drug users ( i am talking stuff other then pot). Put that together with the fact a lot of gang members and drug users do not want to be reformed and just view being locked up as a status symbol at least for gang members. The us does have programs that will help with some people who want to get into said programs in prison. Could we use more? yes but at the same time prison isn't summer school and wasting money on mandatory programs on people who don't want to be reformed seems foolish to me.
    the war on drugs is WHY we have such a gang problem. same thing happened during prohibition where it gave power to people how make it their business to sell black market items. and really where do you get this line of thinking gang members (drug users in general don't want to go to jail, NONE OF THEM DO) only go to prison to show how tough they are... movies? granted that has happened but only with individuals who you can easily label as sociopathic and those cases are rare, which is why they have "rep". and again when we have for profit prisons they treat it like a business, meaning they will cut corners everywhere they can. which is why in most for profit prisons are so violent, they give the inmates nothing, NOTHING better to do then resort to violence or try to get into solitary confinement for their own safety. the for-profit prison system needs to be banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    the war on drugs is WHY we have such a gang problem. same thing happened during prohibition where it gave power to people how make it their business to sell black market items. and really where do you get this line of thinking gang members (drug users in general don't want to go to jail, NONE OF THEM DO) only go to prison to show how tough they are... movies? granted that has happened but only with individuals who you can easily label as sociopathic and those cases are rare, which is why they have "rep". and again when we have for profit prisons they treat it like a business, meaning they will cut corners everywhere they can. which is why in most for profit prisons are so violent, they give the inmates nothing, NOTHING better to do then resort to violence or try to get into solitary confinement for their own safety. the for-profit prison system needs to be banned.
    Mind forking the costs of making prisons exclusively publicly funded?

My first reaction/answer to this was
    Because here in America we have a lot more in depth and highly, highly professional criminal investigators/forensics/lawyers/and the whole infrastructure that goes with locking people up.
    Not to say we just lock a lot of people up
    But to say that, we catch more of them than other countries do?

Your country is not as terrible as you may think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Mind forking the costs of making prisons exclusively publicly funded?
    well when we didn't have MILLIONS of none-violent drug offenders/border hoppers locked up, the publicly funded prisons handled things well enough wouldn't you say?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorillane View Post
    My first reaction/answer to this was
    Because here in America we have a lot more in depth and highly, highly professional criminal investigators/forensics/lawyers/and the whole infrastructure that goes with locking people up.
    Not to say we just lock a lot of people up
    But to say that, we catch more of them than other countries do?

we catch them for nonviolent BS more then ever.

If more murderers/thieves were in prison from say the 1980s your statement would apply.

Your country is not as terrible as you may think it is

---------- Post added 2013-03-25 at 07:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    well when we didn't have MILLIONS of none-violent drug offenders/border hoppers locked up, the publicly funded prisons handled things well enough wouldn't you say?
    Fair enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    dont those companies have the prisioners produce products or services that the prisioners provide that the companies then turn around and sells for massive profits? i think they get paid something like 35cents an hour?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-03-25 at 07:50 AM.