Poll: What do you think about the case?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Student Sues School, Gets $185,000

For making her write a letter of apology to her rapist and then expelling her, and then not taking any measures to protect her.

The Story:
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield News-Leader
    The suit, filed July 5, alleges when the girl — a special education student — told officials about the harassment, assault and rape that occurred during the 2008-09 school year, they told her they did not believe her. She recanted.

The suit also alleges that, without seeking her mother’s permission, school officials forced the girl to write a letter of apology to the boy and personally deliver it to him. She was then expelled for the rest of the 2008-2009 school year and referred to juvenile authorities for filing a false report.

“School Officials, although mandatory reporters under Missouri’s Child Abuse Reporting Law, failed to report [the girl’s] complaints to the Division of Family Services or to Greene County Juvenile Authorities,” the suit says.

In 2009-10, the girl was allowed back in school, and the boy continued to harass and assault her, the suit says. She did not tell school officials because she was afraid she would be accused of lying and kicked out of school.

In February 2010, the boy allegedly forcibly raped the girl again, this time in the back of the school library. While school officials allegedly expressed skepticism of the girl, her mother took her to the Child Advocacy Center and an exam showed a sexual assault had occurred. DNA in semen found on the girl matched the DNA of the boy she accused, the suit says.

The boy was taken into custody in Juvenile Court and pleaded guilty to charges, the suit says. The specific charges are not stated in the suit.

“School Officials acted recklessly in conscious disregard of and with deliberate indifference to the risk of [the girl’s] safety by failing to conduct an investigation into her allegations of rape and sexual assault, by suspending her from school, and by failing to provide her with any protection from her rapist,” the suit says.
    http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...ver-rape-claim

Notable points:

1) The rapist later plead guilty in juvenile court.
    2) The victim tested positive for sexual assault in a Forensic Interview and Sexual Assault Forensic Exam.
    3) The victim was a special needs student who's psychological report says she is conflict adverse, behaviourally passive, and "would forego her own needs and wishes to satisfy the request of others around so that she can be accepted".

The school district contested the suit, denying all allegations and responsibility. But a year later they settled. The ending:
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield News-Leader
    According to the settlement agreement, the district agreed to pay $122,315 to the girl and her family and $62,685 in fees for the girl’s attorney. It’s unclear if it was covered by insurance held by the district.

The district also agreed to pay costs of mediation and court costs, but the specific amounts are not included in a settlement agreement.
    http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...uit-by-student

So what do people think?

EDIT:

Also I forgot to include this earlier, but this the school's response to her suit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Republic R-III School District Answer
    Plaintiff has failed and neglected to use reasonable means to protect herself from loss and to mitigate the alleged losses and damages included in the Complain.

Plaintiff's claims against the District Defendants are frivolous, and have no basis in fact or law.
    Which struck me as particularly sad. It's exactly what rape culture supporters like Myarr/Cambria would say.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2013-03-25 at 08:14 AM.

Thats it?

The UCSD kid that was abandoned in a jail cell for 5 days (no food/water) was paid some $1.X million. $125k seems like a ripoff to me. The school probably had good lawyers.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think she should have gotten at least 10 times that. thats atrocious.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    For making her write a letter of apology to her rapist and then expelling her, and then not taking any measures to protect her.

The Story:

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...ver-rape-claim

Notable points:

1) The rapist later plead guilty in juvenile court.
    2) The victim tested positive for sexual assault in a Forensic Interview and Sexual Assault Forensic Exam.
    3) The victim was a special needs student who's psychological report says she is conflict adverse, behaviourally passive, and "would forego her own needs and wishes to satisfy the request of others around so that she can be accepted".

The school district contested the suit, denying all allegations and responsibility. But a year later they settled. The ending:

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...uit-by-student

So what do people think?

Thank god she didn't get pregnant. Is there truth to Todd Akins theory of rape?

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Thats it?

The UCSD kid that was abandoned in a jail cell for 5 days (no food/water) was paid some $1.X million. $125k seems like a ripoff to me. The school probably had good lawyers.
    ^ the payout is a little low

10+ Year Old Account
    In the school library? How the hell did that happen without anyone noticing it?
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

15+ Year Old Account
    Besides the fact that the people at the school should be fired for not doing their job? What is there to think about the case - its messed up.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    In the school library? How the hell did that happen without anyone noticing it?
    library's aren't usually the most populated place in the school.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Thank god she didn't get pregnant. Is there truth to Todd Akins theory of rape?
    Don't go there - thats how idiots further evolve.
    "Only Jack can zip up."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandible View Post
    Don't go there - thats how idiots further evolve.
    what is this theory of rape? i have not heard of it. is it some sort of internet theory or something?

Also I forgot to include this earlier, but this the school's response to her suit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Republic R-III School District Answer
    Plaintiff has failed and neglected to use reasonable means to protect herself from loss and to mitigate the alleged losses and damages included in the Complain.

Plaintiff's claims against the District Defendants are frivolous, and have no basis in fact or law.
    Which struck me as particularly sad. It's exactly what rape culture supporters like Myrarr/Cambria would say.

Infracted for Flaming/Naming and Shaming
    Last edited by Simca; 2013-03-25 at 09:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Which struck me as particularly sad. It's exactly what rape culture supporters like Myarr/Cambria would say.
    i too would like to know how ANYONE would think this is her fault. RAPE IS NEVER THE VICTIMS FAULT.

185k is too low for this bs. :/

This is really horrible.
    The people making jokes in this thread are being incredibly distasteful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    what is this theory of rape? i have not heard of it. is it some sort of internet theory or something?

Satirizing how ignorant people are about rape.

I would really like to see some accountability in this case rather then it cost taxpayers money. Some people need to be fired.

1. Superintendent and colleagues directly involved.
    2. Librarian (How do you rape someone in the library?) It's supposed to be a quiet area.

i too would like to know how ANYONE would think this is her fault. RAPE IS NEVER THE VICTIMS FAULT.
    You'd be surprised at the mental arithmetic these people perform. "I think the blame should be on her too, but I'm not saying it's her fault, because I'm just saying she's the one made it happen, and this isn't victim blaming because her being raped is a lesson for all you girls!!!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd be surprised at the mental arithmetic these people perform. "I'm not saying it's her fault, I'm just saying she's the one made it happen, and this isn't victim blaming because her being raped is a lesson for all you girls!!!!"
    i think thats really just an excuse for them to say "its their fault for being so attractive."

15+ Year Old Account
    One of those "intelligent" theories by one of many republican senators that the woman can "shut down" her body during rape to prevent getting pregnant. Makes you loose brain cells just reading about it.
    "Only Jack can zip up."

10+ Year Old Account
    i think thats really just an excuse for them to say "its their fault for being so attractive."
    Damn women and their attractiveness.

in the library? they must have been quite......

she deserved more money....damn..some ppl burned themself by hot coffee from mc donalds and gets paid millions
    13/13

Monk