Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Excuse me, there is someone still sitting on the frozen throne...
    Are you kidding me? You've been talking about how the new things they've come up with are apparently "terrible" and you want us to just walk back to Northrend and fight ANOTHER Lich King? That's...awful. There's no way around it.

Thankfully, they know that, and that's why when they have us revisit old areas, there's an entirely new direction and conflict going on. Just because you don't like Pandaren or Pandaria, doesn't mean it doesn't mesh into the story. Also, I don't see you complaining about Draenei, when the playable Draenei had even less representation before their appearance than the Pandaren.

Find it rather funny the Mods don't realize this is a thinly veiled "MOP SUCKS AND PANDAS DONT BELONG BECAUSE THEY ARE FOR LITTLE KIDS ALSO KUNG FU PANDA LOLOLOL" Thread, And they let it go on.

Quote Originally Posted by haaku View Post
    Yes it does in a hundreds of way, who had not heard of Arthas before WotlK? Burning legion was cool and was well implemented imo. Pandas for me is just bad, and everyone of my friends think it's the same way.
    Yes, I'm sure "All of my friends agree with me, so it must be true." is the best qualifier for storytelling ever. MoP has been their best implementation of storytelling in the game since Wrath. Maybe you don't understand the finer elements of storytelling, or even anything about the characters, but all I can hear is "Zombies and demons are cool! Pandas are cool (for some reason) so the story is also bad.

Because BC had the best story ever (sarcasm), with no buildups from past characters (that were much better written in their previous installments, i.e. WC3), morally grey characters going full crazy and with absolutely no pretense aside from last-ditch "He's crazy for power now!!!" At the very least I'll give a nod to "Illidan was going to use demons to fight the legion." That's cool. Why did I kill him?

Pandaria has explanations for everything, and integrates everything in Pandaria into the overarching plot. Then again, if your qualifier is "I heard of them before, so they're good." (Which is a terrible literary/storytelling qualifier by the way) then I'm sure you've heard of the Titans (related to the Mogu directly), the War of the Ancients and Well of Eternity (related to the Pandaren, their gods, and the Vale directly) and I'm sure you've heard of the Old Gods. (Related to the Mantid directly.)

Where do you people find these ideas? Jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    What do you think - which things in wow dont belong there?

For me its:

1. MoP as a whole expansion - yes, i play MoP, but whole China-like architecture, quests, Npcs , its just feel alien seeing it in WoW, not to mention pandaren race and monks.

2. Netherstorm npcs and whole area in TBC - its like they came from the far future

3. Deathwing as a villain - just does not fit here

4. Harrison Jones - yes, good tip for him
    1.) That place we knew existed since Warcraft 3?
    2.) Oh yeah space technology brought by a two races from different areas of space and civilizations much, much older than us is too far fetched.
    3.) Oh that villain that we suspected was alive and making plans since TBC?
    4.) Fits in the lore, you might not like him but there isn't anything preventing him from existing in the Warcraft universe as he overall has very little impact on the story of WoW.

Deleted
    Blizzard could hire Quentin Tarantino as WoW's new creative director, depict the Pandaren's horrific ethnic cleansing of the Mantid, paying special detail to their burning of the young in furnaces, before embarking in the frenzied mass rape of the Mogu female population while high on Azerothian crack and heroin, all of which while being littered with an f bomb every third word, and still one of these threads will pop up every few weeks accusing the xpac of being too "kiddie friendly".

10+ Year Old Account
    Because of course, you know know what -exactly- belongs in WoW, right?

A lot of the lore in WoW has a reason. Stuff like Harrison Jones might not really have lore reasons, but if EVERYTHING in the game from A to Z is going to be lore based, then I reckon the game would be really weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, I keep seeing it and i need to mention...

Unless you guys are talking about Mulan, then you should be saying a DREAMWORKS movie. Kung Fu Panda was not a Disney movie.

Edit: I do not like Harrison Jones. He was fine before Uldum. Then Uldum happened, and I felt like they wasted an entire half of that zone on a pop culture reference. I was especially annoyed that they made me work for Hitler and were going to execute me by firing line, as a Jew.
    Last edited by Viscoe; 2013-03-25 at 08:41 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

Orgrimmar. Tauren. Darkspear Trolls. Undead. Lich King. Thrall.

...and the rest 99% of WoW doesn't belong. They weren't in very first WarCraft after all. All this is a heresy!!!!!11111oneoneone

Deleted
    Only if they come out of nowhere.
    They've been here since the start.

10+ Year Old Account

Whaaaaat?
    I chose to just focus on the most absurd of your complaints, as I guess I can see people not liking the high-fantasy approach that Outland brought. And I can see people not liking Pandaria, even though it fits in so well with the WoW lore now that it's almost absurd we had any issues with it to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Pandas, they had 0 significant impact on the lore before Pandailia, and now we play as them...
    there has been pandas since the warcraft 3 roc, And clearly you dont understand the lore. Pandaria was hidden by the mist and thats why it was not a big part of the know lore until now.
    warp field to weaken its armor, let it close, then tech armor! - Turian hipster

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna say....Arena.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what would be entertaining?

Cross referencing all the 'but but teh pandaz r com ferm outa noware n haz no loar!' posters in these threads with all the 'playable ethereals nao plzkthx!' posters in the constant 'what playable race do you want' threads.

I have a feeling much hypocrisy would be revealed.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thatcrazypenguin View Post
    I know ill be flamed for it but it is a complete rip off of a certain disney movie...right down to the way the characters look .....
    Mulan?

At least get the movie right.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

What do you think - which things in wow dont belong there?

For me its:

1. MoP as a whole expansion - yes, i play MoP, but whole China-like architecture, quests, Npcs , its just feel alien seeing it in WoW, not to mention pandaren race and monks.

2. Netherstorm npcs and whole area in TBC - its like they came from the far future

4. Harrison Jones - yes, good tip for him
    1. Chinese-themed characters and architecture feel more alien to you than an entire expansion literally about aliens?
    2. You take issue with the futuristic/high-tech nature of a region that harnesses magic as a sort of electricity, if you will, but you don't take issue with players flying helicopters?
    3. A DRAGON doesn't fit in with Warcraft lore?!
    4. I don't get your point with this one, but in any event, he's just an adventurer with a pop culture name. Lots of adventurers in Warcraft.

The biggest thing about things that "don't belong in WoW" is that people forget this isn't the final project of Blizzard. Warcraft 2 built on 1, 3 built on 2, and WoW built off all of them...but future expansions, Warcraft 4, etc. have to have new content to build off of too. You can't expect WoW to just assimilate everything that's ever happened in the Warcraft universe as if it's some gigantic conclusion to the Warcraft franchise, and then terminate the entire thing when you're done with WoW. Sooner or later - and that's where we're getting these days - WoW has to add characters, plot lines, and unique lore to further the entire universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where you this upset about WotLK? I mean, the Viking theme was pretty blatant.

So, objectively, why would vikings belong, but asian aesthetics not?

Rogues

10char

Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    Where you this upset about WotLK? I mean, the Viking theme was pretty blatant.

So, objectively, why would vikings belong, but asian aesthetics not?
    The simplest reasoning is that a lot of WoW's lore, design aesthetic and content comes from European fantasy and historical tropes (a lot, which is not the same thing as saying "all" - I'm well aware that there are plenty of other inspirations as well). So adding *more* European references 'fits', while adding things that are entirely cross-cultural often feels jarring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekiara View Post
    The simplest reasoning is that a lot of WoW's lore, design aesthetic and content comes from European fantasy and historical tropes (a lot, which is not the same thing as saying "all" - I'm well aware that there are plenty of other inspirations as well). So adding *more* European references 'fits', while adding things that are entirely cross-cultural often feels jarring.
    I have heard this before, and I hate this justification. You are basically saying that WoW is not allowed to grow beyond european fantasy tropes and aesthetics, because it goes out your comfort zone. And it's, to put it mildly, unbelievable. Is a whole world supposed to look "european"? is a world supposed to look the same when there's no cultural syncretism, no cultural cross-polinization?

Adding more "european references" only reinforces the unbelievability of a world. It is all right and good that the primary focus of wow was of an european inspired culture, but the rest of the world has to be different; or else it would push the willing suspension of disbelief.

If it doesn't for you, that means you are not being objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladia View Post
    Rather poor subjective interpretation. You selected 3 random things from different expansions and claim they have no place. To be quite honest, the only thing that wouldn't fit WoW would be soldiers with high tech guns and nuclear bombs. They integrated the Asian theme quite well into WoW. I'm not sure if this is borderline trolling.
    I agree with everything said here