Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

What Blizzard doesn't understand.

Originally Posted by Blizzard:
    "...The competitive nature of PvP means that highly geared players can serve as a deterrent to players who are looking into trying PvP for the first time."

Okay, now this is quite wrong.
    I remember back in 2007, i was entering warsong gulch for the very first time with a level 16 character. I was what you call a noob. I haven't played any mmo before and everything was totally new to me.
    I got smashed.
    There were several level 19 ueber-twinks on the opposite side. Even though they didn't camp the graveyard, I died every time I encountered an enemy player. I didn't stand a chance.
    Okay, so how did I react?
    Well...did I stop trying? - No.
    Did I leave the battleground? - No!
    Did I quit the game? - HELL NO!
    Did this encourage me to get better in the game? Did this drive me to get better gear? Did this make me want to be overpowered one day? YES IT DID!
    So this drive has made me play WoW up until today. This drive is what got me into the game. I wanted to be like these overpowered level 19 twinks.
    I wanted revenge.

And now, with a 2200 rating in 3s, 180.000 hks and most PvP achievements, I look back thinking: "The journey is the reward".
    Now that I'm at "the top", I do less PvP than I did before, even though I know that this time it would be me smashing the other players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    "...The competitive nature of PvP means that highly geared players can serve as a deterrent to players who are looking into trying PvP for the first time."

I remember back in 2007, i was entering warsong gulch for the very first time with a level 16 character. I was what you call a noob. I haven't played any mmo before and everything was totally new to me.
    I got smashed.
    There were several level 19 ueber-twinks on the opposite side. Even though they didn't camp the graveyard, I died every time I encountered an enemy player. I didn't stand a chance.
    Did this encourage me to get better in the game? Did this drive me to get better gear? Did this make me want to be overpowered one day? YES IT DID!
    So this drive has made me play WoW up until today. This drive is what got me into the game. I wanted to be like these overpowered level 19 twinks.
    I wanted revenge.

And now, with a 2200 rating in 3s, 180.000 hks and most PvP achievements, I look back thinking: "The journey is the reward".
    Now that I'm at "the top", I do less PvP than I did before, even though I know that this time it would be me smashing the other players.
    this 100%-same thing happened to me. i never played an mmo before wow.the first time i ran down into gold-shire,after the wolfs killed me, i remember asking someone "took me a few minutes to figure out how to whisper" how do you make gold,they answered kill npc,i said whats an npc lmfao.

the same happened in pvp-i was a clicker and new nothing about pvp at all.i had to ask what pvp meant and whats a bg.after getting my ass kicked by better players i started to inspect them, writing down what gear they had so i can find out what i needed.i also would ask these players for advice and most would give great tips.
    tis is how you learn to play and once i got better gear you could feel the power of it on your toon.this was in BC and gear was 1000's times harder to get back then,then it is now.

Personally I believe that they are attempting to address the wrong problem. I feel people are being put off PvP because of the terrible class balance which now exists and inconsistencies which arise due to PvP and PvE clashing. The solution would be two sets of numbers allowing them to balance PvP without impacting PvE at a much more consistent level.

And because you felt that way it will be the same for everyone starting pvp now? Seems legit...not.
    I can certainly understand how frustrating it must be to be dead before you had a change to adapt, even if you know yout class and the battleground beforehand, just because the other player has way better gear.

I got smashed.
    I wanted revenge.

Which mean is the same for everyone else just because you felt that way? No.

I got smashed.
    I wanted revenge.

You just said it yourself. "Level 19 TWINKS". That means they have the best gear you can get and were raping
    You in the wsg. Now imagine if you and the twinks had the same gear and the only
    Difference was your skill level. You probably still would've got raped but not because
    Of gear but because of
    SKILL

Quote Originally Posted by Glockoma View Post
    You just said it yourself. "Level 19 TWINKS". That means they have the best gear you can get and were raping
    You in the wsg. Now imagine if you and the twinks had the same gear and the only
    Difference was your skill level. You probably still would've got raped but not because
    Of gear but because of
    SKILL
    In this particular case, due to extreme low-level class imbalances, skill doesn't matter that much. If there's a class like a Hunter or Disc in that level range with the same gear, he will win 90% of the time. (Discs do ridiculous amounts of damage at that level range, while at the same time being invincible).

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember back in 2007...

...did this encourage me to get better in the game? Did this drive me to get better gear? Did this make me want to be overpowered one day? YES IT DID!
    Sorry, general player mentality has changed since then, they'd much rather quit.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    this was in BC and gear was 1000's times harder to get back then,then it is now.
    The term wellfare epic originated from TBC gear when they made changes to the honor system and introduced badges of justice as well as the way arena points were awareded. More difficult maybe 1000 more difficult is pushing it a lot.
    Pretend this is a amazing sig with my character holding an legendary.

Deleted
    Completely agree with the OP. Highly geared skilled players who own me does not deter me in anyway. It makes me want to learn how to play better so that one day i will have awesome gear as well and be pro like them.

The issue for me is when you get players with little skill still managing to kill you because they have better gear than you. Most annoying thing in the game- getting killed by a bm hunter who is backpeddling ... ARGH!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TaurenNinja View Post
    In this particular case, due to extreme low-level class imbalances, skill doesn't matter that much. If there's a class like a Hunter or Disc in that level range with the same gear, he will win 90% of the time. (Discs do ridiculous amounts of damage at that level range, while at the same time being invincible).
    Well yea your right but I'm using that as an example. I'm sure you get my point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Sorry, general player mentality has changed since then, they'd much rather quit.
    valid point

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    For me it was completely different. When I got repeatedly destroyed by twinks in WSG and AB, I just left the BG and didn't go back until the higher levels when they were less common. I remember lots of other players doing the same. Whether they came back again, I don't know, but it was a deterrent.

I have no interest in high level PvP, I just use random BG's as a diversion from questing and running dungeons. These new changes are encouraging in trying to even out the playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanthanum View Post
    For me it was completely different. When I got repeatedly destroyed by twinks in WSG and AB, I just left the BG and didn't go back until the higher levels when they were less common. I remember lots of other players doing the same. Whether they came back again, I don't know, but it was a deterrent.

I have no interest in high level PvP, I just use random BG's as a diversion from questing and running dungeons. These new changes are encouraging in trying to even out the playing field.
    youll try it, youll stil get smashed and youll still quit.

the niches for this game has already been defined by the players, the new changes however will discourage the higher end players to play, so i guess if u enjoy a bunch of randoms running around with foam sticks itll be fun for you, but not for me.

I have to say i agree with OP 100%, most bad players think they can't get better at pvp or pve because every time they try they get stomped, and they thing every heroic raider/gladiator was just born being "good at the game"

but the true is everyone had to start at some point and he got stomped too, and yet he managed to get to the top without posting on forums and crying for nerfs

so the point is, blizzard makes changes based on comunity feedback (sometimes) and because these crybabies spent most of their time crying and complaining, all blizzard gets is feedback based on opinions of people who have no clue how the game works

so if you ask me, blizzard should start ignoring all the casuals and the game will get much better, listening to them just because they are the "majority" makes no sence because all they do in game is about 1% of overall content and the other 99% gets worse and worse with every patch

and to everyone who wants to defend casuals: you wouldnt change football rules just because someone who plays it once a week doesn't like them, would you ?

I'm looking forward to the change. I used to PvP all the time in PvE gear and had great success. I'm glad I can go back and do that again instead of farming pvp gear all day long.

Strangely enough, not everyone who walks into a BG and gets utterly wtfpwned go "BY GOLLY IM GOING TO GET TO THAT LEVEL." Nobody is suggesting anything should be easy or free...but the entry level shouldn't be set as high as it is.

Deleted

I got smashed.
    I wanted revenge.

You did not stop simply because you have been new to game and you have been enjoying every aspect of it, including getting smashed by some twinks. That's not the case for majority of community.

I doubt that it will attract a lot more people in PvP. As mentioned by others Blizzard is just trying to put under the carpet class balance, insane bursts, cc sh*tstorm, etc...
    Having more people in PvE gear will not change these issues. Anyway, players who like PvP will continue, maybe a few more will get into it so I guess it's OK.

About players mentality, I am quite amazed to see that people expect to enter BGs/arenas in PvE stuff and not get stomped on. I mean you have to go through dungeons, then heroics then you start raiding. You don't go there wearing green gear so why should it be different for PvP? You eat crap for a few days until you start getting decent stuff and then things get better. It doesn't take more than 1 to 2 weeks for casual players to get the honor stuff.

my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    I'm looking forward to the change. I used to PvP all the time in PvE gear and had great success. I'm glad I can go back and do that again instead of farming pvp gear all day long.
    Ok why is that fair? You would kick us from a raid if
    We were in all pvp gear. Fags like you annoy me.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-03-26 at 02:48 PM.