Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Is rogue damage weak?

I'm asking this because I'm just objectively doing less damage than anyone I've fought. I just started playing this game again, and I'm hitting less on my rogue than I was during Cataclysm. I'm not super geared or anything, but is gear really so important that my 6k backstabs actually do damage? I can't imagine gear would quadruple my damage or anything.

It just seems so strange that I can be hit by 100k conflagrates and bladestorm can tick for 20k, while my ambush is only criting for 15k?

Is it a gear thing and this game is just even more gear dependent than it used to be, or do rogues just have shit for damage?

They're one of the strongest classes atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I'm asking this because I'm just objectively doing less damage than anyone I've fought. I just started playing this game again, and I'm hitting less on my rogue than I was during Cataclysm. I'm not super geared or anything, but is gear really so important that my 6k backstabs actually do damage? I can't imagine gear would quadruple my damage or anything.

It just seems so strange that I can be hit by 100k conflagrates and bladestorm can tick for 20k, while my ambush is only criting for 15k?

Is it a gear thing and this game is just even more gear dependent than it used to be, or do rogues just have shit for damage?
    Sounds like you are under geared for PvP and they are over geared. Rogues are very powerful at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodejjj View Post
    They're one of the strongest classes atm.
    That doesn't answer the question.

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 02:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Sounds like you are under geared for PvP and they are over geared. Rogues are very powerful at the moment.
    Yes, but they were also considered underpowered prior to 4.2. The patch notes didn't mention any sort of damage changes.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2013-03-27 at 06:17 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It can be absurd in the hands of a good rouge. So many useless fotms out there and then the damage is crap.
    A good rouge will rip your hp to shreds in my view simply cos of the control and utility they have which enable it.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

yea i have seen rogues blow my prot warrior up in seconds(undergeared) and i have seen rogues barly do any dmg to me.

rogue is also basid alot on cd's. and finishers. cb don't really do that much dmg anymore.

but is gear really so important
    Yes. Rogue damage is not weak, I've not seen many low ambush crits done by rogue.

Indeed, Bakis. I blew up a disc priest yesterday in arena and he didnt even get a single heal off. He was dead in ~10 seconds.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    yea i have seen rogues blow my prot warrior up in seconds(undergeared) and i have seen rogues barly do any dmg to me.

rogue is also basid alot on cd's. and finishers. cb don't really do that much dmg anymore.
    So the damage is from eviscerate and rupture now?

So the damage is from eviscerate and rupture now?
    pretty much. evis crits for 80-100k for me in my pvp gear

That doesn't answer the question.
    How does that not answer the question? They are one of the strongest classes at the moment = good damage = you are doing something wrong.
    You asked if the damage is weak and he said it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    How does that not answer the question? They are one of the strongest classes at the moment = good damage = you are doing something wrong.
    You asked if the damage is weak and he said it isn't.
    I asked if the damage was weak and he told me the class was viable. There's more to viability than DPS. I never once said that rogues were underpowered in the OP.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2013-03-27 at 06:30 AM.

I dont play my rogue anymore, but as it is with rogue atm it looks like that after you killed the first 2 enemies before comming out of stealth and then after you reseted the fight 3 times with vanish and blind and killed the next 8 enemies your possibilities are running a little bit out and the dmg gets lower. In this case id just shuriken toss and kill the rest of the enemy team I hope that helped

Deleted
    Gear issue 100%. And yes gear really is that important.

I'm in honor gear and my pvp power is at 55%. Most fully geared dps has 65% or so resilience so they only receive a 10% damage reduction against me.

My backstabs crit for 55k or so, evisc 80-125K, ambush 60-90k.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    Gear issue 100%. And yes gear really is that important.

I'm in honor gear and my pvp power is at 55%. Most fully geared dps has 65% or so resilience so they only receive a 10% damage reduction against me.

My backstabs crit for 55k or so, evisc 80-125K, ambush 60-90k.
    That's not how it works. PvP Power and Resilience are multiplicative, not additive. With 55% pow against 65% res, you'll only do 55% of your real damage, in other words, a 45% reducion.

Math:
    Code:
    Damage Dealt = 1 * ( 1-0.65 ) * (1 + 0.55) = 0.55
    Reduction = 1 - Damage Dealt = 0.45

Rogues are about control and burst. Dont be fooled by a UH dk's overall dmg, its sustained dmg which is no where near as hard to heal through then a controlled burst~ Rogues have the ability to switch to a target and do very high dmg in a very short time.

You are playing the class wrong, rogues are tough classes to learn, even harder to master. Just read up on the class a little more it will help. Also, if you just got back to the game, im gonna assume you are not fully geared yet. Pvp weapons are about 50% of the pvp power you will have when fully geared. If you don't have those yet you will see when you get em.

Most of your dps will come from shadowdance,outside that, you won't do that much damage
    Last edited by Faenskap; 2013-03-27 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapzer View Post
    You are playing the class wrong
    Here's a screenshot:

Exactly how is the 7k average crit a learn to play problem? Am I pressing the button with the wrong force?

Percentage of damage is warped because this was a clusterfuck of a BG and I don't do damage anyway, so I'm not going to waste energy on it when I can be more useful ccing healers and shit.

Here's the one for eviscerate

Last edited by Larynx; 2013-03-27 at 05:23 PM.

armory link please... the report tells me you are wearing leveling greens, i just wanna see for myself