Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Rogue role on Ji-Kun

Hey guys, my guild downed Megaera last night as will be progressing on to Ji-Kun soon. I've been told I'll probably be a part of the nest strike force, but I'm not sure if this is what most assa rogues have been doing on this boss; how they've been killing adds, when they stay on the boss, etc. I've looked at the logs and am aware rogues are absolutely destroying this fight, so I want to live up to these expectations. Here's our raid comp to give you an example of NEST STRIKE FORCE!!1 options:

Tanks:
    Druid
    Warrior

Healers:
    Disc Priest
    Holy Paladin
    Resto Druid (usually)

DPS:

Rogue
    Enhancement Shaman
    Boomkin
    Warlock
    Warrior

if you were combat I'd say go with the nests just because blade flurry does some damage.... but even assass FoK + crimson tempest can drop some aoe. But ya assassination prob just stay on the boss fulltime
    Last edited by kilj; 2013-03-21 at 07:38 PM.

depending on the other dps going down, (ie how fast the eggs are dying) get a few ruptures up and a couple foks to get your poisons up then single target. The top rogues on the logs are dropping down to the nests to get their wings, then sitting on the boss the whole fight while grabbing primal nutriments when they can. TBH assassination rogues are not particularly well suited for doing the lower nests, as the adds down there have low health, the Enhance shaman, warrior, and lock (specifically if he's destro) are potentially better. Actually combat with its new blade flurry does pretty well down there, lotta numbers when you hit killing spree.

We have an ele shaman and a destro lock handle the eggs, with a spriest that joins them if they fall behind (was me the 1st week when i was combat), and the other 2 dps and one of the other 2 healers would jump down on the 2nd nest for the wings. These two dps would use their wings to fly in the air and try to grab the feed she spits out, catching one gives you a very significant damage buff, stacks, and lasts for 30 seconds. Its important to note that these two dps and healers need to always save 1 of their wings, because the boss will occasionally spawn 2 nests at the same time, we have the 2 dps and healer on the platform fly up and kill the top nest before going back on the boss.

Big thing to note is that she does not have a lot of health, so when you hit ~20%, just stop killing eggs, pop hero and burn.

I do this fight as combat and along with a hunter and a disc priest, am on the "egg killing' team. Blade Flurry works pretty well here. I pop Killing Spree for the first nest, and AR/SB on the second. KS is usually up again by the next round of nests. We do two full circuits (bottom three, top three, bottom three, top three) and then hop down and kill the boss.

Honestly, being on the platform is pretty yawn-worthy, so if you want to do something a little different, I'd campaign to go to the nests! And ranks on this fight are always going to be about cheesing the damage buff, I wouldn't worry a hell of a lot about it until you start getting really bored of the fight.

We run two rotating egg groups. Everyone needs wings to collect Primal Nutrients, and every other set of wings is completely wasted without two groups. The eggs die so quickly that spec doesn't matter at all; just roll your highest single target spec.

Alternatively, you can just pop hero and burn the boss, ignoring the mechanics. It has very low hp.

Deleted
    Absolutly no pb for making nests in assa, more tott for another dps on them, ccccccombo, you can back on boss AND take the feed buff with the feather flight, this is just perfect for you.

idk i was soaking the green stuff on the floor and was tunneling the boss our hunter eleshamy and disc priest were doing the adds
    the ultimate answer's to all rogue issues :

-Rogues might still be dealing with the changes to combo points {2014}

Deleted
    Assa isn't that good for the 3-4 mob cleaves you do when you go for the nests.
    I'm usually full time on the boss and soak a couple of slimes with talented feint+clos.

Quote Originally Posted by Koji2k11 View Post
    idk i was soaking the green stuff on the floor and was tunneling the boss our hunter eleshamy and disc priest were doing the adds
    Thanks for responding, that information was very informative and helpful with what the OP asked for!

In all seriousness, I'll be doing the same tonight, but in 25m - so any other helpful tricks will be appreciated. Hows Marked for Death on this fight?

Haven't used marked for death on this fight, just anticipation. Shadow Step crucial for getting back on boss w/ downdraft. Other than that, just sat on boss & burned, soaking green if needed.

Deleted
    Last time we had only 2dpsers (me assa and frost DK) + healer on nests and it was doable. On lower platforms I was just spaming envenomed FoK, on top platforms I was multirupturing two adds

Quote Originally Posted by RemJay24 View Post
    Hows Marked for Death on this fight?
    MfD is bugged here. CD will not reset if you mark egg and it turns into an add

Depends on what spec the rogue is , if combat then you are wasting its cleave by not sending him to nests , should be in the nest killing team.
    If assassination then have him sit on boss full time , as the adds are low hp and few in number for fok/tab rupture to be effective.
    Also spec burst of speed , you can keep dpsing while downdraft is active.

Running two groups of 4 (3 DPS/1 Healer) so all your DPS can catch food is surely more DPS than just leaving people on the main platform. Standing in pools does not give Primal Nutrients, and you should not have to clear pools if everyone is catching food.

The Primal Nutrients buff from catching food is 100%+10% additional damage per additional soak and lasts 30s. You can maintain nearly 100% uptime if you catch every time (and you can catch every time with appropriate timing). For leaving DPS on the main platform to be worth it, you would have to have double or more the uptime, which is just never going to happen.

In short, you don't send people to kill eggs because the eggs need to die (that's just a side effect), you send people to kill eggs so they can get feathers and buff their damage. Bringing it back to the OP: you should run your highest single target DPS spec because with so many doing platforms, the eggs die in seconds no matter what spec you run, so only boss damage matters.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2013-03-22 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RemJay24 View Post
    Thanks for responding, that information was very informative and helpful with what the OP asked for!

In all seriousness, I'll be doing the same tonight, but in 25m - so any other helpful tricks will be appreciated. Hows Marked for Death on this fight?
    i've been using BoS on this fight to run against the wind if you know its coming activate it and do your normal rotation just make sure your tank gets back right away or you will die,also soaking those green pools use elusiveness and never soak more then 2 at once or you will die at least you die in 10m if you stand in 2 at once reset your stack after you soaked with this method you will be able to clear the whole melee range from pools of death
    the ultimate answer's to all rogue issues :

-Rogues might still be dealing with the changes to combo points {2014}

In our group, we sent a ele shaman, ret pally, and disc priest to deal with the nests. I just stayed on the boss, and soaked up a couple of the pools with feint.

BoS isn't really required to stay on the boss when being pushed away... I did fine just sticking with shadowstep. You just need to be right up under the boss and sprint when you start being pushed back. And if you do get pushed back out of melee range, you can hit shadowstep. You might want to have vanish ready as downdraft ends though. Being the only one the boss can see in melee range when downdraft ends is not good, for fairly obvious reasons.
    Last edited by Tisha; 2013-03-25 at 10:55 AM.

Deleted
    In that team, boomkin, warlock and disc priest should be the strike force full time - disc can help with attonement healing and multidotting is awesome. Rogue should always be full-time on boss: assassination has some great single target DPS at the moment, and rogues are awesome pool soakers, courtesy of Feint and Cloak of Shadows. Soaking is not strictly necessary on normal mode, but it can help keep the path clear during Down Draft. At 20% ignore platforms and zerg Ji'kun with Bloodlust.

Also, if your healers know what they're doing, 2 is more than enough. We had a resto druid solo heal Ji-kun platform and it wasn't any problem at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by straws View Post
    Also spec burst of speed , you can keep dpsing while downdraft is active.
    I didnt even think of that!

but then again I think downdraft has a cd that lasts longer than 60 seconds so wouldnt sprint be just as good?

Coming from a rogue that's recently downed heroic Ji-kun in 25 man our job is basically to take as little damage as possible, feint + elusiveness do wonders here for both the AoE quills and pool soaking.

We're also the top melee next to monks at soaking the green pools which eventually become a problem later on in the fight unless soaked, we're able to cloak off the debuff (25% damage taken from further pools) so soaking future stacks is never an issue.

Just be sure to not soak the pools during the pulsing AoE damage and always ensure feint is up, glyphing it helps greatly Good luck!

burst of speed is pointless. step + sprint each knockback, dont spend energy on BoS. if you're flying, you would prefer to be combat for obvious reasons. however, i can't imagine why anyone would take a rogue off the boss platform. 65% reduction to pools + 1 min cloak = rogues are by far the best pool soakers.

edit: forgot about monks, our WW is semi-retarded so no one knows what they can really do. lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    We keep our Rogue on the boss full time. Doesn't need to soak pools either. Just DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by bromli View Post
    65% reduction to pools + 1 min cloak = rogues are by far the best pool soakers.
    Let's not exaggerate I'm a Holy Paladin and I soak with Hand of Purity and Divine Protection, and can also remove the DoT with Divine Shield. Don't think a rogue can beat that. Especially not because soaking near the boss isn't really all that useful and you would lose DPS to soak pools away from the boss.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2013-03-28 at 07:54 AM.