Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Funny pic... This only proves the Azeroth's lost second moon (back in vanilla WoW had 2 moon's, not just one) is in fact Outland, since we can see Azeroth from Outland. Using some science, the only way that we can justify Azeroth to just being seen from Black Temple is Outland to be in geostatic orbit around Azeroth, in other words, Outland spins around Azeroth at the same speed Azeroth sppins over himself, this means, that Outland looks to be always in the same place, similar to our current Geostatic satelaties. This also means that the lost second moon of Azeroth can now only be seen from a single small area, in Azeroth.

For the next x-pac, i would go for outlands and the Burning legion... What happened if instead of being an asteroid Outland is in fact still round shaped and has a lot of yet to be discovered areas??

EDIT: I haven't played MoP yet, i've just read on WoWWiki that the second Moon of Azeroth can currently be seen from Pandaria... I didn't know about that lol.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say there'll be a "moon" expansion since 1) it's too spacey for WoW and 2) is there even anything there? Unless someone colonises it, I can't foresee raids taking place inside craters against rock monsters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny pic... This only proves the Azeroth's lost second moon (back in vanilla WoW had 2 moon's, not just one) is in fact Outland, since we can see Azeroth from Outland. Using some science, the only way that we can justify Azeroth to just being seen from Black Temple is Outland to be in geostatic orbit around Azeroth, in other words, Outland spins around Azeroth at the same speed Azeroth sppins over himself, this means, that Outland looks to be always in the same place, similar to our current Geostatic satelaties. This also means that the lost second moon of Azeroth can now only be seen from a single small area, in Azeroth.

For the next x-pac, i would go for outlands and the Burning legion... What happened if instead of being an asteroid Outland is in fact still round shaped and has a lot of yet to be discovered areas??

EDIT: I haven't played MoP yet, i've just read on WoWWiki that the second Moon of Azeroth can currently be seen from Pandaria... I didn't know about that lol.
    I like your knowledge of astronomy, but real-world science doesn't apply to Warcraft's idea of space. Outland is drifting in the Twisting Nether, a magical intergalactic highway. Outland simply drifted close enough to Azeroth to be seen, it also drifts close to those massive gas giants visible in Hellfire and Netherstorm.

Basically, think of the Twisting Nether as Rainbow Road from the Mario Kart games (If you get the reference)
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2013-03-29 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I like your knowledge of astronomy, but real-world science doesn't apply to Warcraft's idea of space. Outland is drifting in the Twisting Nether, a magical intergalactic highway. Outland simply drifted close enough to Azeroth to be seen, it also drifts close to those massive gas giants visible in Hellfire and Netherstorm.

Basically, think of the Twisting Nether as Rainbow Road from the Mario Kart games (If you get the reference)
    So you can shimmy over a ramp and cut across half the galaxy?

Im all for more outland pieces!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDDGuides View Post
    "The world of Azeroth also has lands located at the other side, beyond the Veiled Sea to the west of Kalimdor, and beyond the Forbidding Sea to the east of the Eastern Kingdoms. No one is sure or has knowledge of what kind of creatures, lands, cultures, life, and sentient being lives in the other side of Azeroth. It is clear though that it is very dangerous."

"A handful of ships have ventured from Kalimdor away from the Maelstrom — to the north, west, and south. None have yet returned."

After the Burning Crusade was released and Blizzard were asked to reflect on the reaction it got, they claimed that players actually preferred spending their time on Azeroth, that high or "space fantasy" conflicted with the games gothic tone. With Northrend and Pandaria now complete, the amount of places to visit is now limited to a) the islands of the South Seas (Zandalar, Tomb of Sargaras, possibly underwater zones though the reaction to Vash'jir wasn't exactly positive) or b) some type of sky city in the vein of Vortex Pinnacle or c) the elusive "other side of Azeroth".

Like with Northrend or Pandaria, there's really nothing to see map-wise. Theories have been MORE PANDA MIST, or maybe the Titans didn't want anyone knowing what's there when they built their glittery globes.

*video*

Naturally, the next expansion must be Burning Legion themed (I mean, there's only 7 million clues), but perhaps this could be a future one? It'd be a shame to see it Anubarak'd into something small like a SUPER SECRET LANDMASS PATCH with 10 bosses and 200 dailies, but I can't even speculate on what actually MIGHT be there.

Thoughts?

I have an issue with the whole "it was there the whole time!" premise of exploration...

We knew Northrend was there, we just didn't go there. We even knew Pandaria was... somewhere, we just didn't know exactly where. And it was protected by magical mists.

But to say there's an entire separate continent, or group of continents that "no one happened to notice for the past entirety of Azeroth's existence" is kinda... silly. And"shrouded by mists" shouldn't really be used more than once as a plot device.

Plus, the Titan Globe is fairly definitive. There's just ocean there. Unless it's some giant, protected titan landmass (which is technically possible, I guess...) it should show up...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    no one happened to notice kalimdor before WC3

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    no one happened to notice kalimdor before WC3
    I was just about to say this.

Warcraft III introduced Kalimdor and Northrend completely out of the blue. They even went so far as to treat them like lost continents.

I personally don't think it's so strange that portions of Azeroth remain undiscovered, especially if efforts to chart them have ended in failure with the explorers never returning. However, if there are lands on the other hemisphere of Azeroth, I'd like them to be seeded a bit before we venture there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDDGuides View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as to say there'll be a "moon" expansion since 1) it's too spacey for WoW and 2) is there even anything there? Unless someone colonises it, I can't foresee raids taking place inside craters against rock monsters.
    All i'm saying is that Outland might be in fact one of the moons of Azeroth... I'm not even claming it is, just a speculation exercice.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Outland has it's own moons like Pale Lady
    I figure Elune has something to do with the big moon of Azeroth from the night elves

10+ Year Old Account
    wasn't there a section in the shattering (might be wrong) where while Thrall was channeling he saw in a vision a land mass rise from the sea? and someone was laughing or am i just nuts? could it be Azshara.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

All i'm saying is that Outland might be in fact one of the moons of Azeroth... I'm not even claming it is, just a speculation exercice.
    Does Outland, y'know, NOT look like a moon? I figured it would look like a shattered pile of rocks clinging together by magic beams.

it's not. we see azeroth from the black temple because outland isn't in space anymore, like a normal planet. it's in the twisting nether, and it's acting like a telescope showing azeroth for some reason. perhaps illidan caused that, idk.

Bloodsail Admiral Colonel Sandor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Outland is floating in the Twisting Nether, which is a separate dimension, so I don't think they'd be considered within the same system in the sense that normal planets are. Most likely you can see through the Twisting Nether to other worlds (even ones in the Great Dark), hence why Azeroth appears in the sky above Black Temple along with many other planets/moons in its skies."

There is, obviously, something in the Veiled/Forbidding Sea. All records indicate that anyone who has sailed east of the Eastern Kingdoms or west of Kalimdor have never returned. Whatever is on that side of Azeroth is obviously dangerous. To all the people saying they're sick of "magical plot device hiding hidden land", well...too damn bad. It's happened three times already: in Warcraft III with all of Kalimdor, in Cataclysm with Uldum, and again with Pandaria. I'd place money on there being a hidden landmass in the Veiled/Forbidding Sea.

Now, I don't think we'll go there anytime soon, as I believe we'll deal with the second act of the Burning Legion first (Kil'jaeden at full power, the return of Sargeras as a seed to the final confrontation with him) and Azshara and the Naga first, specifically Azshara raising a portion of Old Kalimdor from the bottom of the ocean using the power of the Trident of the Tides. I imagine we'll probably go to Argus and, perhaps, Xoroth when dealing with the Burning Legion while we'll get to see the sunken portion of Old Kalimdor, Zandalar, the Broken Isle along with the Tomb of Sargeras, Kul'Tiras, and the Ruins of Kezan, complete with the Undermine, when we deal with Azshara. I also believe we'll see the original layer of the Emerald Dream before going into the Veiled/Forbidding Sea. After that, though, seems like a good time to show us what's on "The Other Side of Azeroth" before leading into the final act of the Burning Legion, the Great Dark Old Gods, and the return of the Titans.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    There is, obviously, something in the Veiled/Forbidding Sea. All records indicate that anyone who has sailed east of the Eastern Kingdoms or west of Kalimdor have never returned. Whatever is on that side of Azeroth is obviously dangerous. To all the people saying they're sick of "magical plot device hiding hidden land", well...too damn bad. It's happened three times already: in Warcraft III with all of Kalimdor, in Cataclysm with Uldum, and again with Pandaria. I'd place money on there being a hidden landmass in the Veiled/Forbidding Sea.

Now, I don't think we'll go there anytime soon, as I believe we'll deal with the second act of the Burning Legion first (Kil'jaeden at full power, the return of Sargeras as a seed to the final confrontation with him) and Azshara and the Naga first, specifically Azshara raising a portion of Old Kalimdor from the bottom of the ocean using the power of the Trident of the Tides. I imagine we'll probably go to Argus and, perhaps, Xoroth when dealing with the Burning Legion while we'll get to see the sunken portion of Old Kalimdor, Zandalar, the Broken Isle along with the Tomb of Sargeras, Kul'Tiras, and the Ruins of Kezan, complete with the Undermine, when we deal with Azshara. I also believe we'll see the original layer of the Emerald Dream before going into the Veiled/Forbidding Sea. After that, though, seems like a good time to show us what's on "The Other Side of Azeroth" before leading into the final act of the Burning Legion, the Great Dark Old Gods, and the return of the Titans.
    We'll surely be dealing with "raised" land masses, and it's already been established as a possibility in WC3. Love the idea of an Old Kalimdor!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Kalimdor_(landmass)
    ^peoples maps of what Old Kalimdor might look like

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Kalimdor_(landmass)
    ^peoples maps of what Old Kalimdor might look like
    I don't think some of those maps seem plausible but a few do i mean it took millions and millions of years for tectonic plates move to there current locations.Then I have to remind myself that this worlds crust might not work the same as our world.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

Quote Originally Posted by Shroud View Post
    I don't think some of those maps seem plausible but a few do i mean it took millions and millions of years for tectonic plates move to there current locations.Then I have to remind myself that this worlds crust might not work the same as our world.
    Some of those maps are so bad, but from what I can tell it's like all the ocean around the maelstrom can be raised?

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:Marshfin_Madness

You have to wonder just what's out there. This is the coast of the Forbidding Sea, with nothing beyond its reaches... but all these fishy folk just stomped right out of it.
    What's more, I saw where they've been going...
    Foreshadowing.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Shroud View Post
    The War of the Ancients and Sundering were only 10,000 years ago. Also, considering the zone Azshara is where the old Kaldorei capital was, on the shores of the Well of Eternity, I would say the land masses of now used to be much closer together, and they drifted apart, rather than just having the central part of Ancient Kalimdor sink.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.