Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Worth for me to return?

Hiya
    I know there's a probably a ton of threads answering the questions I'd like to ask but they are all over the place, usually very objectively posted and hard to find (or I'm looking wrong...)

Anyway, I've been playing pretty much from Vanilla till about half way Cataclysm, being everything from a hardcore raider in Vanilla and TBC and casual raider / pvp'er in the later expansions. There's no particular reason I quit, just needed time off to do other stuff, the news from Pandaran was a bit offputting for me and therefore I never bought it (talent changes for one).

Lately though I've been thinking about returning, dunno why, just feel like I miss it sometimes, even though pretty much all my friends have quit I still feel like I might enjoy it again.
    I've got a few questions about the game in its current state though, and what I've read about it is all rather vague and confusing to me, so any constructive answers would be welcome

1. First and foremost, the dailies, I personally detest dailies, I can do them for a while but not too long at a time. How important are they really in current WoW? Can you enter dungeons / heroics and later on LFR without doing any dailies? If not, how many dailies would I be looking at?

2. Queue times, are they long for dps for regular dungeons / heroics? (I kinda assume tanks and to lesser degree healers still have a near instant queue?)

3. Heroic dungeon difficulty, I read rumours of heroic dungeons returning to WotLK-style diffulty, did that happen or do you actually need some half decent gear to faceroll them?

4. Are there currently any specs which are considered useless and might get you kicked from dungeons for just being them or are things not that bad? (mainly interested in Paladin, Death Knight, Warlocks and Mage specs, are any of their specs considered useless?)

That's all I can think of from the top of my head. Thanks a lot for taking time to answer any of those questions of mine!

10+ Year Old Account
    Dailies - Not even needed for 5.2 content

Queue times are only bad for DPS

25M:Heroic content is keeping the hardcore raid guilds to a very slow and steady pace. Reg guilds are struggling. Kinda as it should be. It is heroic content.

The only useless spec is the one the player does not know how to play. I've yet to run anything where the class was unneeded, but plenty of runs where the player was horrible.

Deleted
    Spend a couple of bucks and find out.
    I did, Liking what I am seeing so far.

1. Dailies are not at all required. They offer a couple raid quality items per faction and a few profession patterns, but nothing you'd be required to grind for. There are, however, new tokens you get from doing dailies. After receiving 90 of them you can hand them in for 3 "reroll" coins once a week that allow you to take a second chance on missed gear drops in LFR and world bosses.

2. My average queue, as a dps, is 15 minutes for dungeons and 25-30 minutes for LFR. It varies with the time of day, of course.

3. You can jump into heroics immediately after hitting 90, with quest gear. They're easy, if anyone in the group has raid gear they're trivial.

4. None that come to mind. They're always specs that under perform, but none that will get you left out. I think Resto Shamans are the current crap spec, but they may have been touched up already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the answers Superman and Dyros
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    25M:Heroic content is keeping the hardcore raid guilds to a very slow and steady pace. Reg guilds are struggling. Kinda as it should be. It is heroic content.
    I was actually more asking about the 5-man heroic dungeons, I don't have any ambitions for doing heroic raids, not gonna have the time for that any time soon

Spend a couple of bucks and find out.
    I did, Liking what I am seeing so far.
    To me 60 euro's +15 for subscription is not 'just a couple of bucks' nothing I can't afford but if I get a bunch of answers from which I know I'm gonna hate it (like... zomg dailies are absolutely essential, expect to do about a month of just dailies before heroics / LFR), I'd be happy to save up on that money. edit: -thankfully this doesn't seem to be the case so far

60€? The expansion costs 35€.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    60€? The expansion costs 35€.
    Oh... that makes it a lot more reasonable, never even looked at it, just assumed I'd pay the same I've always been paying, thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    As other people might have told you, Try it out, Buy free month or 2 and play.

I think Mists of Pandaria has been great so far, and after Cataclysm, i think they really stepped up their game in a good way.
    We can't tell you anything what is good, because well it's your opinion after all, so just try it out.
    MoP isn't that expensive anymore, especially not in Holland.

If you like WoW itself, then you would enjoy Mists of Pandaria too.
    Or you might have outgrown WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyros View Post
    1. Dailies are not at all required. They offer a couple raid quality items per faction and a few profession patterns, but nothing you'd be required to grind for. There are, however, new tokens you get from doing dailies. After receiving 90 of them you can hand them in for 3 "reroll" coins once a week that allow you to take a second chance on missed gear drops in LFR and world bosses.
    The tokens mentioned in the quote are also available from doing pet battles. Those may or not be to your taste but, while trivial, they can be a lot of fun in small doses and you can get your 90/week in under an hour.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    1. The only reason to do dailies is for lesser charms which you convert into mogu charms (or whatever they are called now), which gives you a couple extra rolls for loot in the current raid. How much that's required is up to the individual but as others have mentioned you can get the lesser charms from pet battles.

2. 15-20 mins for LFD, 30-50 for LFR & about a min for scenarios all for a DPS. However you can queue for all 3 at once or even a BG (leaving very little actual wait time since you'll be busy doing something else).

3. Unfortunately heroic dungeons are faceroll. Heroic raiding is still difficult and challenge modes are quite hard (I don't do either, just what I heard). LFR can be a challenge depending on the group but generally not too bad.

4. You won't be kicked for using any spec, nothing is so bad that people will automatically kick you (LFR or LFD). A raiding guild might require a specific spec but that's to be expected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only come back if you have friends to play with.

Otherwise, you will have terrible times in LFD/LFR on the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    Only come back if you have friends to play with.

Otherwise, you will have terrible times in LFD/LFR on the most part.
    I mostly play WoW alone, well i do have friends that i met in WoW, but no IRL friend, outside one.

Don't bother coming back in my opinion.
    The lastest expac is the least fun. There is a lot of content which is good but they are poorly managed and encased behind redundant requirments like doing dailies or pet battles.

If you're not the kind of doing mundane dailies every day or doing pokemons, then you will not love this game. I for one am not sub until they have a change of heart or fire the current the people that are int he current WoW department.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ATTACKED View Post
    Don't bother coming back in my opinion.
    The lastest expac is the least fun. There is a lot of content which is good but they are poorly managed and encased behind redundant requirments like doing dailies or pet battles.

If you're not the kind of doing mundane dailies every day or doing pokemons, then you will not love this game. I for one am not sub until they have a change of heart or fire the current the people that are int he current WoW department.
    That's load of nonsense!

Pet battles are just for funnsies and are there for those who likes to have some old pokemon battling.
    Dailies aren't required at all, i haven't done any dailies outside 2 factions for the mount, but they were not required to get anything.

5.1 brought an amazing new future, The Brawlers Guild, which is amazing 1v1 combat PvE, I love it.
    Questing in pandaria is amazing, and for once it is fun leveling, last expansions were just boring.
    5.2 Brought a new 12 man Normal and 13 man Heroic raid, which has been amazing so far.
    We got new world bosses, 4!

New Battlegrounds, new Arenas (1 incoming next patch)
    They have delivered patches each 2 months, which is amazingly fast.

They are doing amazing.
    And WoW is going the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyros View Post

2. My average queue, as a dps, is 15 minutes for dungeons and 25-30 minutes for LFR. It varies with the time of day, of course.

3. You can jump into heroics immediately after hitting 90, with quest gear. They're easy, if anyone in the group has raid gear they're trivial.

4. None that come to mind. They're always specs that under perform, but none that will get you left out. I think Resto Shamans are the current crap spec, but they may have been touched up already.
    This is dead on-- though I'd like to add that resto shamans have just been buffed, no worries.

The "fun" you'll have to decide for yourself, but this guy has his facts straight. The best thing you can do is to not place too much weight in any of the subjective, personal opinions of anyone on this forum, myself included. Look at the facts, try it out, and decide for yourself.

To the OP,
    If you don't like dailies, then don't come back. Everything is almost behind dailies.

-if you want a second dip of roll? Get lesser charms
    -lesser charms are available only if you do dailies or pet battles.
    -if you want to gear quickly? do dailies for rep valor items, or do lfr.
    -if you dont want to do dailies, do lfr.
    - have bad rng in lfr? get lesser charms
    -see the first point

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itko View Post
    1. First and foremost, the dailies, I personally detest dailies, I can do them for a while but not too long at a time. How important are they really in current WoW? Can you enter dungeons / heroics and later on LFR without doing any dailies? If not, how many dailies would I be looking at?

2. Queue times, are they long for dps for regular dungeons / heroics? (I kinda assume tanks and to lesser degree healers still have a near instant queue?)

3. Heroic dungeon difficulty, I read rumours of heroic dungeons returning to WotLK-style diffulty, did that happen or do you actually need some half decent gear to faceroll them?

4. Are there currently any specs which are considered useless and might get you kicked from dungeons for just being them or are things not that bad? (mainly interested in Paladin, Death Knight, Warlocks and Mage specs, are any of their specs considered useless?)
    1. Although I am near to exalted with all of the Pandaria factions that require dailies (simply for mounts/tabards achievements and a sense of completion), I have not purchased a single piece of valor gear from them. Mind you I only returned to WoW one month ago, so I have only accumulated 4000 valor. My current item level is 500, and I am in a guild that so far can only kill 1/12 Normal Throne of Thunder. So no, dailies are not required at all to get into dungeons/raids/heroics.

2. Dps queues are still as long as usual. Anywhere from 10 - 30minutes in my experience, but I usually run as a tank for the bag and instant queue.

3. Not entirely sure about this, but I do a heroic dungeon every day for the rep as a DK tank. I pull 2-3 groups at a time and have no problems.

4. Death Knights, Warlocks, and Mages are all in really good spots right now with all specs. Paladins I am unsure of.

Quote Originally Posted by Itko View Post
    Hiya
    I know there's a probably a ton of threads answering the questions I'd like to ask but they are all over the place, usually very objectively posted and hard to find (or I'm looking wrong...)

Anyway, I've been playing pretty much from Vanilla till about half way Cataclysm, being everything from a hardcore raider in Vanilla and TBC and casual raider / pvp'er in the later expansions. There's no particular reason I quit, just needed time off to do other stuff, the news from Pandaran was a bit offputting for me and therefore I never bought it (talent changes for one).

Lately though I've been thinking about returning, dunno why, just feel like I miss it sometimes, even though pretty much all my friends have quit I still feel like I might enjoy it again.
    I've got a few questions about the game in its current state though, and what I've read about it is all rather vague and confusing to me, so any constructive answers would be welcome

That's all I can think of from the top of my head. Thanks a lot for taking time to answer any of those questions of mine!
    To clarify OP;

1. If you detest dailies don't come back.
    Read;
    Quote Originally Posted by mousepan View Post
    To the OP,
    If you don't like dailies, then don't come back. Everything is almost behind dailies.

-see the first point
    2. DPS queue times have always been terribly long. The new heroics are stale, that rewards you with mediocre gear, that's not worth the grind in 5.2.
    also THERE WILL BE NO NEW 5 MANS for the rest of the expac. I forgot the actual quotation for this but it's here somewhere, just look for it in either the wow forums or mmochamp forums.
    Tanks do have instant queues, healers not as much but it fluctuates, from almost instantly to 5-10 minutes.

3. Heroic dungeon difficulty is fine. it's 5.2, almost everyone now out gears the current heroic instances. But regardless of gear, the current heroics are fine. It does not have the same difficulty as the first cata heroics.

4. All specs right now are alright, the heroics are easier enough that it doesn't matter what spec you are, but as long as you do your role.

Over all. If you detest dailies that much I suggest not to come back. As of now it's pretty much a requirement, not as much as before but it is if you want to gear up quickly as possible.
    To the OP,

-see the first point
    Again hope this helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    To the OP,

-see the first point
    I know people with 502 gear score who never touched a daily or a pet battle. Judging from your post, it would seem you are upset and uninformed about the options in WoW. Feel free to Google "How to get geared without doing dailies". You will be amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I know people with 502 gear score who never touched a daily or a pet battle. Judging from your post, it would seem you are upset and uninformed about the options in WoW. Feel free to Google "How to get geared without doing dailies". You will be amazed.
    Well, if he's been playing for months but that's not the case for OP.
    OP is coming back from not playing. If he wants to gear fast, those are his options.
    Keep in mind there's no current catch up to current content option available in 5.2, besides lfr, which has terrible RNG even with the boost to it.
    You will be amazed on how much you understand Op's predicament.