Warrior: Need help vs Hunters

I'm a warrior.

I struggle vs Hunters.

Need some genuine help on how to deal with them. Can't escape them once engaged. But I'm guessing there's no secret formula, either :'(

Please help a butthurt warrior.

Sincerely,
    Butthurt

Cleaned up your post a little and changed your thread title - might attract more people to reply ~Snuggli
    Last edited by Snuggli; 2013-04-02 at 03:34 PM.

I don't play a warrior, I'm a paladin but I know exactly what you mean. Hopefully someone can shed light on a good answer for you but off the top of my head I would say just lay there and take it.

BM Hunters give me huge problems, the other specs not so much. So many long range cc's, a million strong pets, and too many ways to kite. Hunters have and always will be my most hated class due to the ability of bad players easily exploiting the bs that class brings.

don't get kited
    give them the D

(user received infraction on different post for trolling)
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-04-02 at 03:58 PM.

I don't play warrior but I know what you mean, honestly hope you have a healer around you or hope they're bad otherwise I don't really see melee being able to beat them one on one.

Tell me about it, I'm not saying I'm an uber player but I've reached 2.2k+ enough times to know my class well. But I've encountered too many cases where they literally toy with me and I just facepalm. I've tried so many variations of specs and strategies while practicing dueling hunter friends in preparation for PvP scenarios, yet they somehow manage to counter it rather easily with their enormous arsenal of escapes, counter snares, etc.

Absolutely no other class, bar healers, give me trouble not even fmages. But hunters are seriously different level of 1v1. And yeah I know, PvP is not balanced around 1v1 yadda yadda, but there are many instances when 2v2 arenas or even 3v3 ends up as a 1v1 situation. (those that do some serious PvP know what I mean) This level of control has to come at a cost. Dat helpless frustration............
    Last edited by Cludestyle; 2013-04-02 at 04:09 PM.

BM hunter? Sry you have no chance if he is decent.
    "Druid must be boss, Hunter is just Drain-monkey.

Hunter scatter this rogue.
    Hunter drain that priest.
    Hunter where is frost trap. Bad Hunter! No banana!
    Hunter where is flare? No flare, you get replaced by retarded warrior!"

-Huainy

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Keep the hunter slowed as much as possible, LoS is yoru friend, Heroic leap to close the gap first, I recomend double charge for BG's since there is alot of open room but in arena the shorter CD on charge is ok. The point of saying all that though is to stress closing the gap on them since they can disengage twice. It is purley situational though. Against hunters I use my CD's and trinkets on a as needed basis to break their CC. Against a BM hunter, intimidating shout is your friend so long as no one is being a retard and spamming them with AoE, it can eat up a good portion of stampedes time. Against bestial wrath deffencive stance is your friend, its one of those abilites you just have to take as best you can so any mitigation you can throw at it.

@ Ozone

Like a warrior a paladin plays much of the same way but you have more chances for mobility depending on how you spec. Double hand of freedom is great vs a hunter, speed of light can really piss them off as well. VS a hunter I seal swap to slow them with my judgement and with the proper spec will give you a speed increase as well. Dont forget your bubble, its good for takeing a warth if you have to as is your mitigation bubble.

The route I take in pvp is get the hunter to waste their CC's on an otherwise immune/reduced damage target. use my heals to get my self back up from the damage i had to take. Start to set up for burst, pop your guardian and at about 15 stacks blow your own cool downs for burst. Stun said hunter then enjoy a victory. I make it sound simple but in trut it takes a bit of work to get the hang of.

also against a hunter blinding light is great fun baring someone did not light them up with AoE before hand.

Sorry for the rough explination but if you have any questions or want more indepth help on takeing down a hunter, send me a PM and ill Real ID you to talk in game.

Against a good hunter specced narrow escape its nearly impossible to keep on him but there are defintely ways to do well especially if the hunter overlaps cds.

First off spec safeguard if your not already and save mocking/demo banner safeguards for narrow escape roots. Spec staggering shout and try to wait for his master's call before using it if you can force it otherwise. That should get you a Deterrence. Wait for reck/banner for after this deterrence to force a readiness, if you have a shockwave thats even better as you might be able to nuke him in a stun if he doesnt have trinket/BW (highly unlikely). Other than that sit on him as much as possible with charges/HL/shockwave and try to get as much damage in as possible, save Die by the sword for BW/rapid fire and shield wall for when you being kited and know you dont have any way to reach him for a moment.

The big issue with hunters, BM especially is that even in melee range they can kill you as fast as you kill them. In all honesty if they are really serious and readiness cds properly you have basically no chance against BM. MM is a bit more reasonable but still difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    I don't play a warrior, I'm a paladin but I know exactly what you mean. Hopefully someone can shed light on a good answer for you but off the top of my head I would say just lay there and take it.

BM Hunters give me huge problems, the other specs not so much. So many long range cc's, a million strong pets, and too many ways to kite. Hunters have and always will be my most hated class due to the ability of bad players easily exploiting the bs that class brings.
    Lol, I have a druid (whom I usually kitty with, but have boomkind), a destro lock (pre MoP), and a pally that I switch between holy and ret, as well as a Hunter that I occasionally roll BM with but mostly MM. Of all these specs, MM hunter is by far the most complex. By far..., there is no comparison. As a MM hunter you must think 3 or more moves ahead. It's the only class in the game that uses terrain, it's the only class that thinks ahead (unless a very very good frost mage is in town tonight, are there such things? idk...), it's the only class that spends half or more of it's time/button clicking doing things that are not related to pure dps. They require the most skill at top-end to be effective, and if you don't believe me look at any seasons results.

The absolute best way is pwn a MM hunter is to engage on flat land; the extra space created by web-Disengaging off a slope or a cliff, etc is awesome. I pretty much do not lose vs any class if Lynx rush is up, and I web you at the top of a hill/cliff, cause when you get half-way to melee me, me gots a good-ole glyphed Explosive trap waiting for you, and now I'm on top and you're on bottom. Any good Hunter is looking for a ledge, a cliff, a water way, any unlevel area in which to disengage from, as the extra distance is simply un-overcomable. So, once more get a hunter to fight you away from hills and uneven surfaces, you'll improve your chances.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just going to copy and paste what I wrote in a different thread but still applies to today. I added some extra things to it.

Arms Warrior tips against Hunters:

* Keep hamstring or a slow on at all times. Piercing Howl is probably the best for this.

* Charge and Heroic Leap on cool down. Be Juggernaut specced. Good hunters will deterrence right through charge and leave you screwed most of the time. That is why Warbringer is useless. Make sure to Glyph of Heroic Leap, which will have you at amazing uptime.

* Do not use your offensive cool downs (Avatar/Reck/trinket/Skull banner) until he uses Stampede and On use Trinket. Most Hunters will have you in some sort of stun or trap before they pop zoo on you. It would be a good idea to trinket if its a long stun. The best defense against Zoo is Intimidating Shout followed with a Die By The Sword into a Demoralizing Banner > Safeguard. As soon as you touch the hunter, Disarm him and use all of you offensive cool downs and force his ass to fight defensively on his own offensive cool downs.

* You can immune yourself from traps by using spell refection.

* Its sometimes good to charge a hunter and instantly shockwave and then when the stun expires, disarm him. This puts pressure early on. You won't need disarm against his burst as long as you have your other defensive cool downs.

* Shield Wall is good to use if both charge and heroic leap are both on cool down or if you don't have intimidating shout against zoo.

* Stay in Battle Stance/Berserker Stance most of the fight but swap to Defensive Stance as soon as you are kited. You can sit in Defensive stance all the time if you always have rage.

* You can use Rallying Cry whenever you want.

* Do not get sad when he deterrence your burst. This is exactly what you want. You want him to panic and waste one deterrence. The fight will end up coming down to who can do more overall damage without the use of burst cool downs assuming you have used your defensive cool downs against his burst.

Hope this helps. None of this will work against bad hunters. Against bad hunters, just smash the same three keys until they're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    -Snip-
    These are all valid and good tips, but something that any arena-serious warrior is already aware of. But definitely useful nonetheless. I tend to always save shockwave, fear, and cleave slow+ stagger snare during their BW/one shot combos, but still their uptime is WAY more superior than mine (( SIGH

Try not to quote a large post unless necessary (which wasn't the case here). ~Snuggli
    Last edited by Snuggli; 2013-04-03 at 03:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I gave up myself. Good hunter got GOD mode on bgs.....
    Bad ones i blow up no problems hehe
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

15+ Year Old Account
    Melee is not meant to stand a chanse vs a decent BM at all it seems. Still trying to figure out how to beat their immunities and control as a DK.

Quote Originally Posted by Cludestyle View Post
    I'm a warrior.

I struggle vs Hunters.

Need some genuine help on how to deal with them. Can't escape them once engaged. But I'm guessing there's no secret formula, either :'(

Please help a butthurt warrior.

Sincerely,
    Butthurt

Cleaned up your post a little and changed your thread title - might attract more people to reply ~Snuggli
    You are trying to beat a Hunter 1 v 1. Its impossible for any class to beat half a decent Hunter. Maybe a Unholy Death Knight or a Frost DK. The longer the fight goes on the, the lower the chance a Frost DK can come out victorious.

Even if a Hunter doesn't know what he is doing, he simply has to pop all his CDs at once. That is what I find myself against in BGs. BM Hunters have quite a bit going for them. Melee and casters use to abuse their minimum range at one time. That was the surest way to lock down a Hunter. But even that is an old trick.

The thing with hunters is that they have too many abilities on short CDs. They can basically kite you for the entire duration of the fight and countering all your CDs. Your best bet would be to Disarm/Shockwave/Pop all CDs. He'll probably trinket somewhere at the start.

Things are a bit different when you have a 2 v 2 or 3 v 3. Its much easier to then focus a hunter.
    Last edited by Ebonheart; 2013-04-03 at 01:32 PM.

Any melee vs. hunter is a hugely unbalanced fight. Only melee that stands any chance at all against a good hunter is an unholy DK with conversion, and even then the odds aren't good. Guy a few posts above gave decent advice, but unless you have LoS available you are really at a massive disadvantage.