Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    I dont feel this, I have enjoyed leveling my alts. takeing my time in one zone vs another to see things I might have missed. Its just not a faceroll like cata.
    Thankfully you're in the minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    You sound like you expect an MMORPG to break free from the RPG part to give you something fresh. I understand what you mean but I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to break away from the genre they're defined upon. What else could be added inside the genre that would be fresh and not immediately called as a "rehash" of some sort?

Honestly, it just feels like you got tired of this type of game rather than of the game itself. Maybe a break will help you. Try other games or hobbies for a couple months and see if you feel like coming back or not.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Super Metroid (Metroid 3) came out in 1994. Metroid Prime came out in 2002.

Everyone wanted Metroid in 3D. However, no one expected it to be in First Person. I don't think anyone expected the successor to Super Metroid to be a first person shooter that somehow kept the feel of the franchise.
    Super metroid was almost an exact copy of metroid.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what you expect tbh from a game that came out in what? 2004 was it? They added Siege Engines in WotLK, new Raid Mechanics and new BGs. Slowly refining the Game, but lets face it, its still what it was at the start, and its still going strong. Still having around 9/10 Million Active Players now is amazing for this Game. Don't fix whats broken. The main concerns I have with this game for now are Paid Service prices, Valor of the Ancients not being account wide, Stampede, the lack of Alt Friendliness and Arenas that are so focused around Pillar Humping (Did Games last night when the Shammy just ran around the pillar the entire freaking game). And the amount of CC. But I see things slowly changing and becoming better. And the Story has been amazing this Expansion. And hardly any Green Jesus
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    You sound like you expect an MMORPG to break free from the RPG part to give you something fresh. I understand what you mean but I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to break away from the genre they're defined upon. What else could be added inside the genre that would be fresh and not immediately called as a "rehash" of some sort?

Honestly, it just feels like you got tired of this type of game rather than of the game itself. Maybe a break will help you. Try other games or hobbies for a couple months and see if you feel like coming back or not.
    No not really break away from it, its RPG part of wow is the part I enjoy the most in it, it gives it some solid grounding for where it stands. I just wish there was something more then the same old thing. I mean scenarios for example sounded interesting at first, but all they ended up being were mini dungeons to get uncertain loot, so... not really any different to running heroic dungeons at max level.

Maybe if they hurried up and introduced revamped character models, and gave something really quite special in the game that breaks from the usual flow, it could reinvigorate how the game feels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um... its an MMO role playing game. It would be dumb NOT to have the things you listed. And Blizz tends to add new stuff each expansion, so it isn't like they're copy/paste. There is a huge, huge difference between the features lists of Wrath, for example, and Mists.

Also, take off your tinfoil hat. You don't have a clue what they've put in 'Titan' much less if any of it was derived from WoW. That's where your post went from being a worthwhile (if redundant) read to kind of dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    I hope they don't continue with the current daily model for the next expansion. It's the single worst feature that's ever been implemented in WoW for me.
    The problem is not dailies, per se - the issue is actually two-fold.

The first is that while dailies are not bad in of themselves, they only cater to the crowd that enjoys questing. While they've tried to solve this through the introduction of bonus reputation for dungeons and scenarios, it still doesn't remove dailies from the equation for those that want to rep up because the two modes of earning rep are not mutually exclusive, and reputation can only be granted towards one rep per dungeon per day.

The second problem is that Blizzard made the bright decision to gate valor gear behind reputations; a really stupid course of action, if you ask me.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

You (the OP) mention it's been the same since WOTLK. To be honest, it's been much the same since before then. Basic gameplay hasn't really evolved that much. Tweaks here and there, and each expansion introduces new mechanics into raid bosses and such, but ultimately you're still going to be running around, avoiding standing in goo and either standing apart or grouping up at the correct time. Sometimes they might try something radical like the vehicle bosses in Wrath, but seeing as they were (possibly justifiably) met with derision they probably wont try something like that again.

Ultimately, things can't change that much as if they did it wouldn't be WoW. Any long running game series relies on the same basic tricks (with the exception of those IPs that started in the 16bit and earlier days, which had to adapt to 3D, often unsuccsesfully), and WoW is no different. Trying something totally radical would split the fanbase. Given that WoW is still hugely popular (even despite the decrease in subs) it's too big a risk to take.

At the end you mention player housing. That would not really make any difference to the game. It'd be an added extra, a new distraction, but it wouldn't make any fundemental difference to the actual gameplay.

Maybe if they hurried up and introduced revamped character models, and gave something really quite special in the game that breaks from the usual flow, it could reinvigorate how the game feels

See, I don't see how new character models would make that much difference. We'd look at them and think "oh, shiny" and then stop noticing after a week. As for "something really quite special"... it's doubtful. The last event that really broke routine was the pre-Wrath event, and it broke peoples routines so much a lot of people were pissed off at it.
    Last edited by Aesahaettr; 2013-04-03 at 06:48 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The first time around. The whole problem with this expansion is that it is ridiculously punitive towards alts.
    I don't know why ppl roll alts -- except, I guess, for professions. I only care to see and play the content once. Twice? Why? I'll spare myself that chore so the game ALWAYS seems as fresh and new as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by macdisciple View Post
    I don't know why ppl roll alts -- except, I guess, for professions. I only care to see and play the content once. Twice? Why?
    It may come as a surprise, but some people play for more than to see content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by macdisciple View Post
    I don't know why ppl roll alts -- except, I guess, for professions. I only care to see and play the content once. Twice? Why?
    It's fun to be able to switch to another class to do PvP, or dungeons, or raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The problem is not dailies, per se - the issue is actually two-fold.

The first is that while dailies are not bad in of themselves, they only cater to the crowd that enjoys questing. While they've tried to solve this through the introduction of bonus reputation for dungeons and scenarios, it still doesn't remove dailies from the equation for those that want to rep up because the two modes of earning rep are not mutually exclusive, and reputation can only be granted towards one rep per dungeon per day.

The second problem is that Blizzard made the bright decision to gate valor gear behind reputations; a really stupid course of action, if you ask me.
    It really sounds like you miss Cataclysm's systems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    It really sounds like you miss Cataclysm's systems.
    I miss how easy it was to level alts, yes. Cataclysm's systems were not perfect by any means; but the critical issue is that players should be able to choose whether or not to gain rep through questing or through dungeons, ideally without any significant advantage between the two.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed. What we're discussing though is how sequels can be revolutionary and extend the life of a franchise as a result. Metroid Prime was a revolutionary entry to the Metroid franchise.
    But you are forgetting it took 16 years and whole new technology for that to happen.

I say 16 years because from the first metroid to super metroid it was the same game just new story.

Deleted
    I think that once a game has started in a specific direction is really hard to "steer the wheel" of the game in a too different direction as it is too risky especially with how big the playerbase is.

There's truth in Trassk words, max level dungeons/gear and so on it is part and will remain part of the core of the game. This is how the game has been designed from the very beginning what the engine have been structured to support and so on.

I too want to see some change, like an alternative progression path that is not levelling. ^^ or something like that, but I don't think we should ever expect much out of the game in general. Blizzard is trying hard to push the boundaries while leaving the core of the game intact. Scenarios is one of those for example. Or challenge modes.

If they're putting more innovation into Titan, is probably because the game is in a so early stage of development that it is possible to change a lot of things (or add) without risks.
    Last edited by mmoc89084f456c; 2013-04-03 at 07:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Maybe if they hurried up and introduced revamped character models
    Revamped character models will be welcome. Howver, they have little-to-nothing to do with actual gameplay. New animations and whatnot are nice enough but after a few days, weeks at most, that will be done. I'll be honest and say that people that have grown tired of the game and think that new models are going to totally revive their interest are engaging in unrealistic expectations. After new character models are introduced and we dress them up like we want to, the game will still be the game.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    What more do you want from a mmo RPG?
    This x1000. The genre is at its limit. Virtually every other blockbuster MMO has tried to evolve the genre in some way and yet WoW remains the king. When it goes, MMOs as we know them will fade with it unless another one can manage to evolve the genre from where we're at now before then.

I really don't think it'll happen. The RPG, and most of its purer variants, are now past their prime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skyward Sword, as much as I dislike it, was a revolutionary entry into the Zelda franchise with the motion controls. It fully utilizes the technology of the Wii. Wind Waker brought a unique cel-shaded art style to the table and a huge, expansive world to explore that is still, to this day, considered pretty big.

Metroid Prime released 8 years after Super Metroid, and went in a completely unexpected direction as far as gameplay goes (people would have laughed at you if you said "Metroid 4 is going to be first person" back in the 90s), yet at the same time it remained true to the spirit of the franchise.

I don't think anyone wants WoW to change into something it isn't. However, it would serve Blizzard well to step slightly out of its safe zone once in a while when developing content for WoW. Furthermore, though MoP looks nice, the graphics of WoW could use a severe overhaul...they need to get those updated character models out as soon as possible, and work on updating basic enemy models at some point.
    I wouldn't call Skyward Sword "revolutionary"--at least not for the Zelda franchise (perhaps for the Wii itself, though). The motion controls were just a different control setup, similar to jumping from the N64 controller to the Gamecube controller. A larger jump, yes, but the fundamentals are the same. You attack with the sword, you use items, you roll/dodge/block attacks. Skyward Sword itself was very much a successor to Ocarina of Time and very similar to all of the other 3D-era Zelda games. Which is fine, because it's following the formula that makes Zelda games what they are.

The reason I'm not using the Metroid-to-Metroid-Prime or 2D-Zelda-to-3D-Zelda jumps is because they're massive jumps, as in completely new game jumps. WoW's expansions are never going to jump like that. It's simply ridiculous to expect anything on that scale, because expansions are just that: expansions. It's the same game, using the same engine, with some minor upgrades each time.

If we ever get a WoW 2 or Warcraft 4, a major jump like that could be reasonably expected.

Deleted
    What WoW needs IMO:

-Player Housing, Just make some excuse that the player's house is somewhere in the nether, or say it's a magical mini-house you can carry in your bag, like a retractable House-In-A-Box, goblin made. Using that item will just teleport you to an instanced house you can arrange..

-Guild Housing/Ship/Airship? (also situated in an unspecified place, in an instance.)

-Improved crafting systems that aren't as grindy and maybe have fast little fun minigames to them.

-NEW MODELS FOR F SAKE!

-Improved phasing, just go wild with it.

-Open PvP zone, like a combination of thoose in Outland and Wintergrasp (no ques for it, anyone can enter at anytime, even level 7's.), with fortresses wich could be destroyed, but then repaired by friendly players who gather resources around that zone to reinforce walls and build war machines (so that even players that are not good or are not well equipped to fight can help the war effort) This war zone should feature AA guns that kill any flying mount in the area. Maybe even make that zone a huge Cross-server zone, combining servers wich have big horde/alliance populations and making them fight eachother. (totally stole that from Guild wars!)

-Remove Wrist armor. Seriously, It's called GAUNTLETS, or long gloves! (cheese!)

-More Alliance shizz, seriously, im sick of horde development while alliance just sits there and watches (maybe losing a town or two in the process of horde story development)

-Scary, intimidating, active-trough-the-story, main villain. Deathwing, you flying over something, burning it, mate, its not enough. Sargeras, I'm looking up to you! I dont want to happily play trough half the expansion not knowing who the villain is, Mists of Pandaria.
    I want to get sabotaged, attacked, intimidated, in my every step trough the expansion, so when i finally kill the motherFer, i would be satisfied

All in 5 minutes of thinking.
    Last edited by mmocd3750dc86d; 2013-04-03 at 07:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Player housing and guild housing are rather pointless when Blizzard have stated they want people out in the world. Besides, putting them in the game is just going to make them the new SW/Org for players. These are up there with the damn Dance Studio for me: pointless.
    They've stated it, but they've done very little to actually incentivize it. If they wanted to distribute the population of players more evenly, they could stop centralizing all the major services into one city like SW and give -every- capital things like Reforging, Transmog, etc.

New models aren't really needed at all. Sure, it will be something nice too look at when making a new alt or the 3 seconds you see the character screen but really, that's the only time you're going to notice them.
    They are. Even the BC models are starting to look dated; and no, I notice it quite frequently out in the world.