Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Traask, while I agree with you as a whole, WoW is defining where the MMO genre is going. NO new MMO has attempted to drastically change/add things that WoW didn't already. Games like Vindictus and GW2 try and redo a lot of the formulaic things but to no avail really. Currently, if you're not WoW, you're not going anywhere.

I think the best thing you could do to bring back that feeling of wonder for the game is to quit for a very long time. Something like until the next expansion. I know you don't want to do that because you love the lore and the gameplay, but if you really want to feel like there's "more" in the game then that's the way to go about it.

Honestly, I feel like heroic scenarios hold A LOT of promise for changing up the status quo on dungeons AND it throws the whole trinity thing out the window too. So there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Player housing and guild housing are rather pointless when Blizzard have stated they want people out in the world. Besides, putting them in the game is just going to make them the new SW/Org for players. These are up there with the damn Dance Studio for me: pointless.

New models aren't really needed at all. Sure, it will be something nice too look at when making a new alt or the 3 seconds you see the character screen but really, that's the only time you're going to notice them.

The whole point of MoP was the lack of a main villain. It's exactly the same as Vanilla WoW in that regard.
    1.How do you expect an auction house, bank, transmog, trainer and all this stuff in your house? It's all just a cosmetic thing to pursue (like, buying or crafting furniture, or crafting and selling it, Furnishing, 5-th secondary proffesion FTW!) if you are in a que or something. ANd then show it off. IMO a better eneavour than WOWPokemon.

2. New models are sadly needed real fast. Look at pandaren emotions, now look at a human. It's just not pleasing to the eye.

3. Wich is booring, don't you think? Well, having a main villain in an expansion is also booring, if he does next to nothing and just waits in his raid instance to be killed.
    Even when you don't have a main villain, you should make the end one a mistery, and engaging one at least.

Blizzard turned the MMO genre around, especially when BC was released. Look at how many companies wanted a slice of the MMO pie since then? Tons. The problem is that the genre reached its peak and now it's gradually starting to fade. It's inevitable though as nothing lasts forever. Another thing is that Blizzard keeps changing their game. Why? Because they realize that after 8 years, you have to keep mixing it up. Some things have worked, others not so much, but you can't sit there and tell me that Blizzard doesn't and hasn't tried during its 8 years. Look at how many features and changes they've made. And remember, they will add even more. WoW is still amazing to me after the 7 years I've been playing and with all the other MMO's I've tried over these 7 years, nothing has come even close. Nothing.

Game is old. They can't change it up too much, or else it will no longer be the same game.

So, all you can expect from WoW is that it will be.....WoW. Expecting it to be something else seems a little much - imho.

Blizz has been doing a lot of things to change the game up without completely deviating from it being WoW. At its core, it needs to remain the same. I'm guessing that the OP is just at a point where he needs to take a break.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you honestly sit there zooming in on your toons and doing emotes at all to watch the models? I highly doubt it.
    Funny you should mention that; yes, I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

What I'd like changed in WoW now? Let's see:

1) Graphical update - not only better textures and models for vanilla/bc content, but also better optimalisation. Memory leaks are all over the place.
    2) Character customisation - right now we have only a few options to make a character feel "ours". New options, both physical and maybe some connected to the characters past. Some RPGs and MMOs have already done it.
    3) Alternate ways of completing tasks - questing and playing can't feel so repetitive. A chance to do quests in the same area, with the same faction, but from a totally different perspective would be awesome.
    4) Guild housing - said many times, but only as a major reward, after big struggle that would require every member to cooperate.
    5) More "special snowflake" rewards - something that would allow the players to feel awesome and show off if they wish. Back in BC/WotLK people looked with pride at raid geared players, now thats gone. Gear looking more awesome on heroic than on LFR would work great, same with PvP stuff.

Deleted
    1. The playerbase will complain so much that those things will all likely end up in the guild housing/hall. You know thats what will happen. And it's not WoWPokemon, it's Pet Battles. Degrading the name just needlessly degrades the feature simply because you don't like it. And quite honestly, a great many players enjoy pet battles. Some that even disliked the idea. A player house would be instanced and only the player would ever see it. You'd not get to show it off really. Unless you got some mates round to your house to look at your monitor. I'd much rather have pet battles tbh.

2. Do you honestly sit there zooming in on your toons and doing emotes at all to watch the models? I highly doubt it.

3. Honestly? It doesn't bother me either way really. We've known that Garrosh is going to be an expansion end boss since before we got MoP so most people have seen him as the main villain. And rightfully so I think considering what he's been up to.
    1. Why should they complain? If its not their thing, they simply could ignore it. Also, people complain about EVERYTHING. And i could bet my eyebrows that there will be less whining with player housing (a feature wanted by a lot of people since forever) than with Pet Battles(tm) (a feature nobody asked about, but wich was crammed in the game for no apparent reason anyway)

2.headgear can be hidden in the options, and i would rather play a well textured and animated human than a pixelated, 9 year old model with squares for eyes and a trangle for a mouth.

---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 08:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    What I'd like changed in WoW now? Let's see:

1) Graphical update - not only better textures and models for vanilla/bc content, but also better optimalisation. Memory leaks are all over the place.
    2) Character customisation - right now we have only a few options to make a character feel "ours". New options, both physical and maybe some connected to the characters past. Some RPGs and MMOs have already done it.
    3) Alternate ways of completing tasks - questing and playing can't feel so repetitive. A chance to do quests in the same area, with the same faction, but from a totally different perspective would be awesome.
    4) Guild housing - said many times, but only as a major reward, after big struggle that would require every member to cooperate.
    5) More "special snowflake" rewards - something that would allow the players to feel awesome and show off if they wish. Back in BC/WotLK people looked with pride at raid geared players, now thats gone. Gear looking more awesome on heroic than on LFR would work great, same with PvP stuff.
    5-Raid challenge modes? Sounds fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Maybe if they hurried up and introduced revamped character models, and gave something really quite special in the game that breaks from the usual flow, it could reinvigorate how the game feels.
    You keep saying that, but you still haven't given an example of a reasonable "break from the usual flow".

The problem is that the "usual flow" is WoW. You change it and you're no longer playing an MMORPG. If you don't like that flow, you should try a different genre.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Deleted
    I am pretty positive that Blizzard will have a smaller team working on Wow after Titan is launched. Slowly WoW will decay and vanish in the shadow that Blizzard will force with titan.
    I start to think WoW is their cashcow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    I am pretty positive that Blizzard will have a smaller team working on Wow after Titan is launched. Slowly WoW will decay and vanish in the shadow that Blizzard will force with titan.
    I start to think WoW is their cashcow.

Blizzard said tie and time again that Titan will be made NOT to compete with WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Blizzard said tie and time again that Titan will be made NOT to compete with WoW.
    they have to prove it. We won't know for sure, anything can change.

I kind of have been, infact I've taken part in all new features.. they just don't feel new really.
    Maybe you are getting past this game? As you get older your view of life, and games, changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    they have to prove it. We won't know for sure, anything can change.
    Cannibalizing your customer base doesn't make sense, so we can presume with near 100% certainty that Titan's design intent is to be mutually exclusive of WoW.

That doesn't mean WoW players won't gravitate towards a new Blizzard product, but I'm betting (as is Blizzard) that Titan will be such a break from conventional gaming that WoW players will become far less relevant to on going business decisions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Blizzard owns WoW. Blizzard owns Titan. WoW is an MMO-RPG. Titan is an MMO-RPG. Aside from a newer game engine and some enhanced graphics, I would imagine this will be a grand scale world, based primarily in mythos and lore where you as a character have to represent your race/faction/government in an attempt to stop/destroy whatever is threatening your way of life.

Yeah, I would probably classify that as competition. Intended or not, Titan will cut into the WoW community. If it is successful, and has everything WoW "should" have had, it will be WoW's slow and silent killer. If it looks promising, yet fails to deliver like GW2, Rift, SWTOR, LOTRO, or any of the other wannabe's trying to snag some of the player base, then WoW lives on and Titan becomes F2P and slowly replaces D3 and Blizzard's all time worst game. Personally, I am hoping for the 1st one. I want that feeling of new and exciting again, that feeling that I have to log in and go questing (run missions, w/e) and explore (search out / recon / w/e). It is my hope that Titan will be what WoW was back in 2007 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    If we ever get a WoW 2 or Warcraft 4, a major jump like that could be reasonably expected.
    As we've obviously seen with the massive perspective and gameplay shifts in Diablo III and Starcraft II...

...oh wait... they didn't. They just went 3D poly but the actual gameplay and perspective was exactly the same - no radical game design shifts at all other than graphics.

Sorry to burst your bubble like that. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    More of the same would be great, sez I. Long as they keep doing awesome new environments to play in, showcasing off different parts of the WoW universe.

Wouldn't mind a few more dungeons next go around, but that's pretty much my only complaint.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Since Wrath they have:
    Completely redone the leveling zones.
    Added LFR.
    Added pet battles.
    Remade the talent and glyph systems to focus them toward more situation and playstyle based choice and less "need to have this to function".
    Most classes have been redone to use secondary resource systems, procs, and ability synergy to create more complex rotation/prioritization.
    Archaeology is slightly different from any other type of profession.
    Scenarios.
    Farming.
    etc...

Like or hate the changes, the game we're playing now is full of things that didn't exist back then and I'd even say the playstyle for a lot of players differs from what it was during Wrath. For instance, some players who are raiding in LFR now probably never seriously thought they'd see raiding. People are leveling alts who never made a second character to 60 because the old zones were too disjointed and tedious.

The biggest change for me is that I love how much more complex my characters are than what they were "back in the day" when being a caster generally meant managing 1-2 debuffs and spamming a single cast ability over and over. I'm also a sucker for pet battles.
    Last edited by Crym; 2013-04-03 at 08:56 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    If WoW started with, say, Mists of Pandaria as its first expansion I don't think people would complain as much about its current state. Unfortunately with a game as old as WoW, it's inevitable that people look too much at what the original WoW was, and less at what the game is now and how its changed. Not to say people don't refer to the games current state like OP here , just that they compare it to the old game too much.

I've talked to new players saying they love the game as it is. The game is 8 years old, anyone playing a game that long will get burnt out or tired of it.

I feel like you are just expecting WoW to magically turn into a completely new game or experience after each expansion based on your post. What is WoW has been WoW will be WoW.
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

Deleted
    Its just that now, ever since wrath of the lich king, the game just feels like.. is this it?
    Having done die-hard raiding up to Naxx in vanilla, I had that feeling when I did the first raidbosses in Burning Crusade.

At some point you've seen enough of the game that nothing can surprise you anymore. Raidbosses can get slightly different tactics, but it's still basically the same shit, don't stand in this, stop dps at that, run there, etc etc. There isn't enough innovation to keep it interesting, but if they changed it up too much it wouldn't be WoW anymore. So it just comes down to yourself, once you get this feeling you've simply seen enough of the game.

The only thing that keeps changing and keeps things interesting is the lore. Even though I think some decisions were really awful, and the story is definitely not flawless by a long shot. But it keeps things interesting for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    As we've obviously seen with the massive perspective and gameplay shifts in Diablo III and Starcraft II...

...oh wait... they didn't. They just went 3D poly but the actual gameplay and perspective was exactly the same - no radical game design shifts at all other than graphics.

Sorry to burst your bubble like that. :P
    I don't think it would happen, but it's the only time I think such a change could happen--a new game means a chance for a brand-new engine, and all of the possibilities that entails.