Shield VS Staff: maths prob required.

I've had this problem for awhile now after I won "Jin'ya, Orb of the Waterspeaker" off a roll a couple months back. Nothing seems to compare to it given what I've had to work with.

I won Shield of Twinned Despair last night. Problem is, I have Regail's Crackling Dagger. (not heroic)

After taking into account reforges, gems, enchants, etc... Here are the numbers I've come up with:

+ 19,188 Armor (physical damage reduction 49.44%)
    + 844 Spirit
    + 40 Haste

- 275 Mastery
    - 59 Stamina
    - 207 Intellect
    - 1296 Spell Power
    - 319 Crit

As you can see the armor and spirit gains are pretty awesome!

The spell power is a huge loss though. D:

How much of a difference will that make? Admittedly, I'm not a phenomenal math wiz, so any help would be awesome. Also, does physical damage only imply direct hits from mobs or ANY damage what-so-ever? I want to assume it means all, but I've been wrong before on stuff like this.

Thanks for any help you may have!

You are not balanced around armor so its nearly irrelevant. Any gains by it is so small. Would REALLY help to know what spec you are although I assume healer because of teh "love" of spirit. Staff has WAY more stats so it is way better.

Also, does physical damage only imply direct hits from mobs or ANY damage what-so-ever?
    Some, but relatively few, mob abilities are mitigated by armor.

Sorry! Yeah, I am a resto shaman! Thank you for the replies so far.

in raid environment armor dont play any part for most raid damage

Quote Originally Posted by mrinvisable2 View Post
    Hmmm, okay. That is good to know.

Deleted
    The true reason to choose a staff vs a shield :

Shields are ugly ! (and I they hide my dwarf's flying braids, which are the reason I play a female dwarf to begin with)

Anyway, the armor is nice to have in pvp and in the rare fights where there is raid wide physical damage (many fights had physical damage in T14, as far as I remember), or where some mobs may want to beat on healers (like during Sandstorm).

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ji'kun says hello, Caw is physical just like any birds that are up in the air or in the nests. But that is probably the only physical apart from council.

As it is between spirit and spellpower, if you are comfortable with the amount of spirit you have, take the staff. There are no exact numbers around it, just play how you feel like. If you go oom on a normal rotation, you need more spirit. But if not, you can loose that in gains of more throughput.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

Quake on Tortos is physical. It is very helpful to use a shield on that fight as Quake is fairly nasty.
    Last edited by Taalyn; 2013-04-05 at 05:14 PM. Reason: damn you auto correct

10 or 25?

Stats are better 9 times out of 10. It depends on the fight and the raid makeup. Also, if you're doing 10 or 25 mans. If you're doing 25, Shamans are really only there to provide some raid cooldowns with SLT, Stormlash, etc. Then there's MTT which is where you sacrifice almost all stats for the absolute most amount of Spirit you can get so you're other healers can output more. You're 1k SP is negligible compared to giving 5-6 other healers more mana. The extra Spirit in most cases will always be better especially for progression. When it rolls around to farm content, then you can start switching over to a more output based build.

---------- Post added 2013-04-05 at 11:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rahdik View Post
    Quake on Tortos is physical. It is very helpful to use a shield on that fight as Quake is fairly nasty.
    Quake won't kill you though. It will be the rockfall damage afterwards which is magic damage. Easily countered by a Devotion Aura.

Deleted
    Indeed there is a lot of less physical damage than last tier (HoF says hello), but there are still some. Horridon - Dire Call (HC only), Tortos - Quake, Dark Animus - small adds hitting you for physical, Ji-Kun - Caw. So yeah, its kinda your choice, but i would rather go with shield (that spirit is also lot even you trade other stats and spell power).

GC said that phisical raid damake everyone takes thesame for balance reasons he answered this about q about rain of blades in hof ofc there are some exception but on quils i take thesame dmg on my mage as on my shamy dk and pala

Deleted
    I completely disagree with this. in Fights like Will or Dark animus or every fight where you have the chance of getting an Add on you the Shield with its massive armor is better. Which in term helps your healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou06 View Post
    Also, if you're doing 10 or 25 mans. If you're doing 25, Shamans are really only there to provide some raid cooldowns with SLT, Stormlash, etc. Then there's MTT which is where you sacrifice almost all stats for the absolute most amount of Spirit you can get so you're other healers can output more.
    I wish that people stop saying this... Since its 100% not true. The only thing that is true is if you are a Meter junky, dont play a shaman.
    Last edited by mmoc8f7998508b; 2013-04-06 at 12:45 PM.

Assuming stats are equal, always pick a Shield since it's armor bonus is absolutely free.

However, Armor is THE LEAST VALUABLE stat you can have as a resto shaman - even strength is better, lolk....

Quote Originally Posted by Beriohtarion View Post
    I completely disagree with this. in Fights like Will or Dark animus or every fight where you have the chance of getting an Add on you the Shield with its massive armor is better. Which in term helps your healers.
    i said raid damage, dark aminus has mobs they does mele hits. thats why they removed resistances so all raid damage(aoe if dont understand) would be equal