Thread: Post Your UI

The default unit frames are fine too
    Except they stand at around ~30% efficiency. You can either use as much screen real estate as the default UFs and increase visual data acuity by 3x, or use 1/3 the screen real estate and get the same level of visual data acuity.

However, this conversation has been done to death so many times already, that it's probably best if it gets moved out of this thread.
    Last edited by Nibelheim; 2013-04-05 at 06:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
    Except they stand at around ~30% efficiency. You can either use as much screen real estate as the default UFs and increase visual data acuity by 3x, or use 1/3 the screen real estate and get the same level of visual data acuity.

However, this conversation has been done to death so many times already, that it's probably best if it gets moved out of this thread.
    They could be more efficient no doubt, but your argument is diluted somewhat by the fact many custom UIs seem to feature curiously prominent moving 3d character portraits and other abominations. There is something redeeming about the default frames though, perhaps it's the clarity in the way it displays buffs and debuffs I'm not so sure, but their overall size can be changed of course either with the in game UI scaling option or by a simple SetScale() macro, in PvP it makes sense to devote a fair amount of real estate to them as they are something you look at constantly.
    Last edited by mmocd83fccc0c7; 2013-04-05 at 07:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this argument was new and exciting.

. The Artist also known as Epiphany .

Quote Originally Posted by Vital View Post
    I don't like how you've got addons on top of addons on top of addons, horrible dependency chains which means if any addon in the chain breaks you are in trouble
    This isn't Linux. 99% of addons include their required libraries these days, and there's rarely any orignal addons that require seperate addons for core functionality.
    I don't have to worry about that with my scripts because they will never break unless Blizz changes something fundamental.
    Addons are scripts. They are the same as adding an application to the startup folder in Windows. You're describing maintaining an addon across major patches.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tordenflesk View Post
    This isn't Linux. 99% of addons include their required libraries these days, and there's rarely any orignal addons that require seperate addons for core functionality.
    I'm talking about the relationship between different addons that have crossover or try to access similar parts of the API, not the libraries the individual addons come bundled with, many addons build in support so that they work with other different addons, you have to worry about whether that support is being continued and whether it might result in bugs cropping up between releases. I remember myself having lua errors which no-one else was having simply because something had clashed between two addons, that is a situation I'm glad won't cause issues for me again.

Addons are scripts. They are the same as adding an application to the startup folder in Windows. You're describing maintaining an addon across major patches.
    I control my script. Any code changes are made by me, I don't have to rely on someone to do it for me or worry about whether they might break it or add functionality that doesn't interest me which might bloat my script. A script and an addon both use lua but they are fundamentally different, a script is just a convenient way of executing a series of macros, addons tend to be more cumbersome with libraries, options menus and what not. I like my lightweight interface which loads instantaneously and never breaks between patches or even expansions, I like the fact it uses close to zero memory or additional cpu cycles.

A script and an addon both use lua but they are fundamentally different
    no
    NO
    NO!
    LUA is a SCRIPTING LANGUAGE. You Write SCRIPTS in LUA which you save to a file which is the run by WoW EXACTLY like you would have done them in a macro minus the /script part(and not limted to 255 characters).
    Addons are simply a convenient way of running/distributing scripts and any additional resources(Textures, Fonts, Sounds) .
    Last edited by tordenflesk; 2013-04-05 at 08:32 PM.

Deleted
    Let me step in before this gets out of hand. Discussing the merits of custom UIs compared to the default UI is fine. Comparing the requirements of PvE and PvP applications is fine.
    Insulting others is not fine. Declaring that others are trolling because you do not agree with them is also not fine.

Don't force me to infract anyone. Please.

Deleted
    no
    NO
    NO!
    LUA is a SCRIPTING LANGUAGE. You Write SCRIPTS in LUA which you save to a file which is the run by WoW EXACTLY like you would have done them in a macro minus the /script part(and not limted to 255 characters).
    Addons are simply a convenient way of running/distributing scripts and any additional resources(Textures, Fonts, Sounds) .
    I'm going to assume you are just being deliberately obtuse, because if you can't recognise the difference between a script and an addon you must be one McNugget short of a happy meal, yes they are both "scripts", but we call it a script to differentiate it from a normal addon. But yeh, I don't want it to go on forever, I just wanted to offer a different/dissenting view. I'm a better player since I abandoned my reliance on addons, that might be useful for someone to know.

I'm going to assume you are just being deliberately obtuse, because if you can't recognise the difference between a script and an addon you must be one McNugget short of a happy meal, yes they are both "scripts", but we call it a script to differentiate it from a normal addon. But yeh, I don't want it to go on forever, I just wanted to offer a different/dissenting view. I'm a better player since I abandoned my reliance on addons, that might be useful for someone to know.
    I don't think you understand what LUA actually is.
    I used to be like you, everything I changed in my UI were just scripts in my macro folder that I used on load up.
    Until I got lazy and just added them all in an addon.

LUA is a scripting language, they are the same thing. One generic word describing multiple things, and one of those multiple things said word was describing.

Also I don't know how you think you could be a better player.. If you have less readily available information then you're just playing at a lower potential level.
    You could of gotten better overall, which then stands to reason if you used simple addons to identify particular information you would then increase in skill some more.
    Last edited by solvexx; 2013-04-05 at 10:26 PM.

I would argue that true skill in WoW is what a player does in response to information. How a player decides to get this information is up to them. If they decide to modify Blizzard's Custom UI (that's all it is, after all, a UI designed by a few of Blizzard's employees) to present information to them in a way which their mind better understands, then so be it. Whenever I revert to the default UI my skill doesn't suddenly drop. My mind switches to reading the information in it's currently presented format, and my responses to that information are based on the skills and knowledge of the game I've learned over the years.

The only argument that could be made towards the Default UI somehow improving the player's skill, would be akin to saying that wearing a blindfold would improve the player's skill. If one custom interface (designed by Blizzard or a player) could improve the player's skill, then it must logically follow that another interface (designed by Blizzard or a player) would be able to further improve the player's skill, whether this be via presenting the information in a more or less efficient manner.

There is definitely merit to using the default UI, especially if one does competitive Arena as the Arena Tournaments don't allow addons. Thus playing using the default UI is advantageous as your mind can focus 100% on adapting to one interface. There's definitely also something to be said about those UIs you see where the player has managed to make it even harder on themselves to see just what the hell is going on around them.
    Last edited by Nibelheim; 2013-04-05 at 11:36 PM.

This debate has been quite entertaining

oh, hai btw

on topic:
    I'm definitely getting a "get off my lawn"-vibe from Vital's "arguments".
    oh, and:
    http://www.abload.de/img/wowscrnshot_040413_22jsj89.jpg
    This is lovely

<3
    Ish

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Because you "asked".

AddOns aren't their to clutter your screen, if anything, they're their to lower the clutter on your screen. As seen by most addons, they tend to get rid of the useless art around for example, minimap, actionbars, unit frames etc. and replace them with simple borders or in some cases (SimpleMinimap) even worse clutter.

AddOns provide you with the ability to choose which information (more, or less, information then the default UI can provide) you want to see and where you want to see it. To some point this is a personal opinion, though I guess most (good) UI developers know what is important and what is not.

A User Interface is their to show information, because of the way we perceive things, the default UI just isn't optimal for it. Does this mean you can't play with the default UI? No. Does this mean playing with a personal UI is better? In some way, yes. Do note that the majority of UI's have little thinking behind them and don't necessarily improve gameplay.

A well known example would be "DON'T STAND IN THE FIRE NOOOOOBBBBB!". As we all know, the character you play is at the middle of your screen, most of the things happening or showing will thus be at the middle of your screen. Making a black frame over your character would thus be unwise, as it blocks crucial vision. Playing with no UI would be ideal, but you simply need information.

Designing pretty AND functional UI's is something not everyone masters. But those that do are guaranteed to play better, if they don't it's simply a design flaw.

Playing with:

My own UI

or

Random default-ish UI

is a massive difference. That's not an opinion.
    LED i agree with you 100%
    now can i grab a download link to your ui,
    thats a very well made ui

Higher quality

Just recently moved my damage meter so the bottom one is slightly ehhhh..

Finally boxed the "ms fps" text, looked empty so moved clock to there from map.

Ignore the overlapping quest tracker.

Boxed my chat, not sure how to give the left/bottom more space, might remove. Thoughts?

Critique if you feel like it, other than the stuff I kinda mentioned, working on those.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    Looking for some critique.

Idle

Combat

Raid

Doesn't seem as messy when i'm playing :P
    Meters are bottom right, i don't have them displayed most of the time.

I don't know what addon is causing the yellow thing on the right edge of the screen

that yellow thing is xxxxslidebar dont know correct name

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Norganna's Slidebar I think is the name of the addon.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldarian View Post
    that yellow thing is xxxxslidebar dont know correct name
    Yes, norgannas slide bar it is.

Quote Originally Posted by zorker View Post
    Roth UI while raiding:
    This looks awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account

Keep in mind that DBM timer thats covering the enemy healthbar is actually travelling to the right
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2013-04-06 at 05:09 PM.

Because you "asked".

AddOns aren't their to clutter your screen, if anything, they're their to lower the clutter on your screen. As seen by most addons, they tend to get rid of the useless art around for example, minimap, actionbars, unit frames etc. and replace them with simple borders or in some cases (SimpleMinimap) even worse clutter.

AddOns provide you with the ability to choose which information (more, or less, information then the default UI can provide) you want to see and where you want to see it. To some point this is a personal opinion, though I guess most (good) UI developers know what is important and what is not.

A User Interface is their to show information, because of the way we perceive things, the default UI just isn't optimal for it. Does this mean you can't play with the default UI? No. Does this mean playing with a personal UI is better? In some way, yes. Do note that the majority of UI's have little thinking behind them and don't necessarily improve gameplay.

A well known example would be "DON'T STAND IN THE FIRE NOOOOOBBBBB!". As we all know, the character you play is at the middle of your screen, most of the things happening or showing will thus be at the middle of your screen. Making a black frame over your character would thus be unwise, as it blocks crucial vision. Playing with no UI would be ideal, but you simply need information.

Designing pretty AND functional UI's is something not everyone masters. But those that do are guaranteed to play better, if they don't it's simply a design flaw.

Playing with:

My own UI

or

Random default-ish UI

is a massive difference. That's not an opinion.

Seriously man. You're probably my best inspiration source right now but how the hell did you redirect raid warnings into SCT, MSBT, Parrot or xCT.
    If that is now what you've done in your shot there.

Deleted
    2. My Unit Frame is right below my character. As explained, most of your eye movement is near the middle of your screen, near your character. Placing my UF's around the center is easier as I have to move my eyes a lot less to get the exact same information. You probably know that if you focus at a place (in this case, mostly near your character) you get a sort of spherical view, things further away from the sphere will be harder to notice (and your brains aren't to be trusted with such information either). Thigns closer to the sphere, are easier to read. Therefore placing UI elements which are critical are easier to identify and read in this sphere as they would be out of the sphere.

3. Data, the data my UF show are a lot less then what default UF's provide. Now since I haven't been playing for years, I don't know the options the default UF's provide these days. Anyway, my own UF only shows a dark grey health bar with very bright class colored bar beneath if for losing health. This contrast gets identified a lot faster then the default UF's with a transparent background for missing health. I lose health? My brains gather this information instantly and tell me to react. Because of the high contrast, this process is a lot easier and will thus be processed a lot faster. The health I lost is simply shown as -41k for example. -41.479 would be useless, as the difference between -41k and -42k is negligible, thus the more detailed info would only be harder for my brains to process. I don't show any mana value at all. Again, knowing the character I play, the role I play, the gear I have etc. I can easily determine whether I have enough mana to cast spell A, B, X or Y. The same color mechanic is used, where the amount of mana I still have pops out a million times faster then the mana I already used. Holy Power bar? Same principle once more.

The target UF is the exact same. Colors which stick out, letting me know how much energy/rage/mana a boss has, how much health it has lost and a simple number to know how much percentage HP it has, seeing most boss events trigger at specific percentages.
    Target of Target: same principle once more, give me the information I want to know.

4. Actionbars (or the lack off). Having over 50 action buttons on your screen is useless. If (and you should) keybind your buttons you should know which key is what. The only information that is left then is the cooldown, which is shown in a easier way thanks to an AddOn. It only shows the cooldowns I need, when they're off cooldown and how long it takes for them to come off cooldown. Again this is placed just a bit over my own UF because this is where I focus the most. Spell comes off CD? The icon pops out as seen in the screenshot, which enables me to process the information even when looking at my raid frames, without having to look at 52 buttons so to speak.

5. Raid Frames. Relative small raidframes to take up as little space as needed (see point 1), showing only the information that is relevant for me. It shows (as a healing Paladin) who has aggro, who has some of my specific buffs, how much health they lost in an easy to identify way (see point 3) and what I can or should cleanse in what is probably the simplest way you can show it. Just looking at my raidframes gives me loads of information on what is going on around me, without loads of clutter.

6. Threat meter. Simple 3 bars that use the exact same color scheme. Though of course the 1 with most aggro is the one that pops out the most. 3? I only need 3. Besides Grid, this instantly shows me who has aggro, and who's coming too close to get aggro. Which simply enables me to click said person for Hand of Salvation (or whatever the spell was). THat is all the information I need to know. I don't need to know who is last or 5th on aggro.

This typing is getting way to lame so I'll let you figure out the rest for yourself.

While these are all PvE scenarios (since the UI is made for PvE) the same concept can be used for PvP UI's. There will always be critical information and less important information. Addons give you the ability to distinguish both of those so you can focus more easily on the critical information. Do they make you a better player? Not necessarily. Can they improve your gameplay? Without a doubt.

Ok, let's do this:

2. What you say is true about placement. But it also very often makes you think less. I'd argue that if you place your player frames in the normal corner spot, it will force you to think about boss mechanics, pay attention to them and understand the fight more so you can better know when to look up in the corner to check your health because you have to. Having them in the middle doesn't force you to think about when you need to check your health because it's already there. Having them in the corner will force you to be more aware off your surroundings to see where damage comes from and when.

3. The health bar color on Blizzard standard frames contrast very well with pretty much anything. And concerning target frame, for classes with offensive dispelling, Blizzard's frames provide the best borders for magic buffs that I've seen. It's very clean and easily distinguishable. Something I've seen no unit frame addon have.
    Your health percentage text is really small. Would you read a long text with that text size? I'm sitting like 1.5 m away from screen and I find it a bit hard to read. I think I'd even have more problem in a raid where I just want to glance quickly.

4. You don't need to show all action bars. And back to point 2. By having them a bit far away it forces you to think about how you want to use them and when.

5. Problem with Grid layout raid frames: In most setups you can only see one debuff at a time. That sucks for PvP. Blizzard raid frames have come a long way.

6. Threat meter isn't needed anymore but Blizzard provides a small box with a number on target frame. Pretty decent.

I think my point is that most people use addons to do some stuff you've done which I just explained why they can hurt you instead of help you. And I think that's Vital's point too. Addons can hurt your play because you want to simplify things for you but you forget that it might also make you think less and thus improve less as a player in the long run. Sure, it will help you at first and it will improve your performance but will it help you improve as a player after that? As you said, addons don't necessarily make you a better player and I'd argue that they might even make you a worse player.

Now, I'm not saying I don't use addons or that addons are all bad. But I think very many people don't realize that addons usually hurt you more than help you unless you know what you're doing.
    Last edited by mmoc9f3c8526e6; 2013-04-06 at 09:35 PM.