Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Will Saurfang keep his promise?

So I've been wondering... We all know that Saurfang made a promise to Garrosh a long time ago. That he will end Garrosh's life if he will lead the Horde in the bloodlust again. Am I the only one who wants Saurfang back? He was a great character, he did awesome things in the warcraft universe and I'm not afraid to say that he is the best character to be introduced in wow that has nothing to do with the past games. What do you think?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad1206 View Post
    So I've been wondering... We all know that Saurfang made a promise to Garrosh a long time ago. That he will end Garrosh's life if he will lead the Horde in the bloodlust again. Am I the only one who wants Saurfang back? He was a great character, he did awesome things in the warcraft universe and I'm not afraid to say that he is the best character to be introduced in wow that has nothing to do with the past games. What do you think?
    I don't remember him saying that. I believe you, but I can't seem to recall the moment. ><

Anyway, yeah, Saurfang is a very cool character. I hope we'll see him doing some heroic stuff in Siege of Orgrimmar.

Deleted
    what are you talking about?! saurfang is from lotr

10+ Year Old Account
    He said that, but Vol'jin also promised to kill Garrosh. So either Varok and Jin fight for the world first, or they double team him.

He said that in Warsong Hold.
    "High Overlord Saurfang says: I won't let you take us down that dark path again, young Hellscream. I'll kill you myself before that day comes..."

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashface View Post
    what are you talking about?! saurfang is from lotr
    You must be thinking or Sauron and Sarumon. Saurfang is definitely from WoW.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

I think it's pretty clear by now that Saurfang hasn't kept his promise, otherwise he already would have killed Garrosh.

I guess for whatever reason Blizzard has decided to shelve that character for now.

Deleted
    I think he'll come back but unfornately, I think he may die, he's rather old, but I hope he goes out honourably as he is one of the greatest warriors and orc characters ever

Does he even know what is happening? He took his son's body to Nagrand to bury. He is probably still there mourning. He may even be taking time away from people. It is very possible that word of Garrosh's actions have not even reached him. It may be some time before he finds out, and even longer before he can get back. He might be all for following through on that comment, if he knew.

Looking at development, I am gonna say no. I think if Blizzard was going to bring him back into the mix, they would already have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Asheriah View Post
    I don't remember him saying that. I believe you, but I can't seem to recall the moment. ><

Anyway, yeah, Saurfang is a very cool character. I hope we'll see him doing some heroic stuff in Siege of Orgrimmar.
    Horde's base in Borean Tundra (forget the name) has Saurfang and Garrosh discussing how to deal with the Alliance and Scourge simultaneously.

High Overlord Saurfang says: We are surrounded ... Our enemies press in from all sides, young Hellscream. The Scourge descends like locusts from the north. The Alliance holds the only secure shipping lane in this region and even that is at risk of being lost to those dreaded mists. Our only viable port for resupply is held by the Forsaken on the other side of this blasted continent! Anything our zeppelins cannot haul must be brought in by ship and travel the length of Northrend to reach us.
    Garrosh Hellscream grunts.
    Garrosh Hellscream says:
    Shipping lanes ... supplies ... You bore me to death! We need nothing more than the warrior spirit of the Horde, Saurfang! Now that we are firmly entrenched in this frozen wasteland, nothing shall stop us!
    High Overlord Saurfang says: Siege engines, ammunition, heavy armor ... How do you propose to shatter the walls of Icecrown without those?
    Garrosh Hellscream says: Propose? I will show you what I propose!
    Garrosh crushes the figures and flag indicating Valiance Keep on the map.
    Garrosh Hellscream says: There... Now we now have a shipping lane. And just for good measure...
    Garrosh crushes the figures and flag indicating Valgarde and Westguard Keep.
    High Overlord Saurfang says: So the prodigal son has spoken! Your father's blood runs strong in you, Hellscream. Impatient as always... Impatient and reckless. You rush headlong into all-out war without a thought of the consequences.
    Garrosh Hellscream says: Do not speak to me of consequences, old one.
    High Overlord Saurfang says: I drank of the same blood your father did, Garrosh. Mannoroth's cursed venom pumped through my veins as well. I drove my weapons into the bodies and minds of my enemies. And while Grom died a glorious death - freeing us all from the blood curse - he could not wipe away the terrible memory of our past. His act could not erase the horrors we committed.
    High Overlord Saurfang says: The winter after the curse was lifted, hundreds of veteran orcs like me were lost to despair. Our minds were finally free, yes... Free to relive all of the unthinkable acts that we had performed under the Legion's influence.
    High Overlord Saurfang nods.
    High Overlord Saurfang says:
    I think it was the sounds of the draenei children that unnerved most of them... You never forget... Have you ever been to Jaggedswine Farm? When the swine are of age for the slaughter... It's that sound. The sound of the swine being killed... It resonates the loudest. Those are hard times for us older veterans.
    Garrosh Hellscream says: But surely you cannot think that those children were born into innocence? They would have grown up and taken arms against us!
    High Overlord Saurfang shakes his head.
    High Overlord Saurfang says: I am not speaking solely of the children of our enemies...
    High Overlord Saurfang says: I won't let you take us down that dark path again, young Hellscream. I'll kill you myself before that day comes...
    Garrosh Hellscream says: How have you managed to survive for so long, Saurfang? Not fallen victim to your own memories?
    High Overlord Saurfang says: I don't eat pork...
    High Overlord Saurfang spits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad1206 View Post
    We all know that Saurfang made a promise to Garrosh a long time ago. That he will end Garrosh's life if he will lead the Horde in the bloodlust again.
    He didn't make such a promise. He was talking about the Horde going down a dark road, like slaughtering children. I haven't seen Garrosh doing any of that, so why should Saurfang kill him?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Vol'Jin and Saurfang. One will die, the other will be Warchief.

Remember Blizz said our leader would die in the Siege and we would have to lead the Siege.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Remember Blizz said our leader would die in the Siege and we would have to lead the Siege.
    Are you just pulling this out of your ass or do you have proof?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jealouspirate View Post
    I think it's pretty clear by now that Saurfang hasn't kept his promise, otherwise he already would have killed Garrosh.

I guess for whatever reason Blizzard has decided to shelve that character for now.
    That's why when we will come into Garroshs room, we will see a dead Garrosh and Saurfang will say "move along, nothing to see here"
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with Saurfang is that he has had all this 'Saurfang can cleave the world in two' BS themed around him, making him into a joke of a character that people will only equate to as a tie in to chuck norris (which btw, I can't stand chuck norris, I think he's a giant tool).

Now, when you use common sense and take away the whole ridiculous theme of saurfang being an invincible juggernaut, and actually be to LOOK at the characters story, you start to understand who he is and what he has said in the past that is actually relevant.

Saurfang was the brother to broxigar, the orc warrior who stood solo against the burning legion and faught against them until he was able to cut into Sargeras's foot before he was killed by the legions lord. He was also a father, who although you never saw any development between dranosh and varok, you can easily tell from the aftermath of ICC he clearly loved his son and became broken from the death of his only child.

Saurfang has lost his brother, his mate, and now his son. He has stood for the horde, under Thralls banner, as an orc that reflects on the past and see's the younger generation of orcs and how they behave, like with Garrosh, and its obviously disturbed him after the words spoken to garrosh in warsong hold.

Now, going in context to Varoks brother, Broxigar, one of running themes in war of the ancients that kept being mentioned with brox was how he wished he had died with his brothers in arms, how brox regretted all his fellow orc brothers dying in combat, when he was the only survivor. Brox wanted to have an honorable death, he wasn't a character who would take his own life because that would have been dishonorable, but he wanted to die and do so in the most epic way possible, like you expect an orc warrior to do so.

Given how Brox himself wanted to die, and died doing the most epic thing any single orc warrior has done, if you now look in context to Varok, his brother, and everything Saurfang has been though, losing hsi entire family and even the next generation, I could not imagine why Saurfang would not want to join his brother in the same kind of fate. Varok has been inactive, because of the grief of losing his only son, but given what is to come with Garrosh, the fate of the horde, and putting an end to all the madness Garrosh has brought to the horde, don't you imagine, given how saurfang has nothing left in his life to live for, he would very much want to die in an act that saves the horde from Garrosh's tyranny, that Varok would lay down his life, both to die an honorable death, and be with his family again?

If anyone were to write Saurfang with any integrity, to stamp out this BS chuck norris joke that people have labeled him with, and give him any peace after he's lost everything, then having saurfang die to end Garrosh's rule and put an end to all of this would be the most epic send off for him.

Don't get me wrong, I love saurfang as a character, have done since vanilla and wrath, but given his age, how he's lost his entire family, and been out of commission because of that grief, it makes the most sense from a story pov.

10+ Year Old Account
    During the NY ComicCon conference someone asked about Saurfang and they replied with something to the effect of it being a case where they had a lot of characters that wanted a piece (like with LK) so they weren't sure if they could do them all justice and couldn't promise any involvement on Saurfang's part. It didn't sound like they'd even really considered him, but he's mentioned by Thrall in his 5.3 sound files as a definite opposer to Garrosh's Horde so maybe they've written him recently.

As long as someone's putting a stop to Garrosh, I don't think Saurfang's going to mind who gets the killing blow. He's pretty far detached from the story that's been told throughout Cataclysm and Mists, so it wouldn't really feel right to have him come back and kill Garrosh on a line of text he said a couple of expansions ago after all the emphasis they've put on Vol'jin being his rival.

I really hope they don't kill him off though if they do include him; the opposition is shaping up to be strong enough to not need any grand sacrifice and it'd just be a waste.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know I am getting pretty pissed at blizzard in regards to orcs. I mean look back into vanilla wow right though to wrath of the lich king. though these archs, we've seen the best of the orcs as part of the story, as much as we saw in WC3, and it felt like there was this strong balance of good orcs and bad orcs, all part of the horde. You have ones like Thrall, Saurfang, Rexxar (he's half orc but still) Dranosh, Eitrigg, Gorgonna, and they were matched with not so friendly orcs like Grom, Garrosh, Krenna and the like. And in general it felt like there was this good balance of characters within the orcs story.

But since cataclysm and though mists, the image of the 'good' orc has been replaced and only bad orcs, like Garrosh, malkorok, the kor'kron, and if he is or isn't good or bad yet to be decided Nazgrim. There are no balance of characters in the orcs story in wow anymore and it just makes it hard to find any likeable traits in them. It just seems blizzard has intentionally removed all the 'good orcs' like i mentioned from the story to perpetuate the worst side of orcs and have them become the target of everyones aggression in this final patch.

Deleted
    no he wont and then he eats everyone and goes to disney land :S

Trassk i really liked your response. And i totally agree with you. Sometimes awesome writing means letting go of a character, in a way that will do him honor and be in place with his past. I wouldn't mind if blizz kills off Saurfang in an epic manner, but i just don't want this character to be forgotten. It will be sad if let's say, after a couple of years someone asks them about Saurfang and they will be like: Who? Ohhh, yeah that guy! Well he is still busy burying his son!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    He didn't make such a promise. He was talking about the Horde going down a dark road, like slaughtering children. I haven't seen Garrosh doing any of that, so why should Saurfang kill him?
    Theramore was a colony for former humans from Eastern Kingdoms. Even if you might not have seen it in game, they had children too.
    Just an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    That's why when we will come into Garroshs room, we will see a dead Garrosh and Saurfang will say "move along, nothing to see here"
    No, be serious, most likely in next patch we'll find that Garrosh probably killed Saurfang, then we go with Vol'jin and Garrosh imprisons him in sha energy before fighting us. At one point Vol'jin breaks his chains as Garrosh is about to kill us and infuse us with sha energy and stuns him then we kill him and the ghost of Grom comes and tells him no warchief rules forever.

But we find out that someone must always lead the Horde or it will rampage and destroy everything. Vol'jin says this burden must be his, for there is no other... and then Saurfang comes in, says this burden must be his, takes Gorehowl and sits in the throne of Warchief and tells Vol'jin to live from there and never return and tell nobody of what happened there and that, as far as people know, Garrosh died there, and Saurfang died with him.

Then Vol'jin asks Saurfang if he ate some mushrooms, for both the Horde and Alliance leaders are all there, so keeping this a secret won't be something you can do especially since he'll be leading one of the two major factions. Saurfang then asks Vol'jin to just go and Vol'jin says "ok mon" and goes and builds a fountain in Stormwind.