Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Consoles for more than gaming

For a long time now all three big console companies say they want to have their hardware be more than a gaming machine. They want it to be a media and social center. I get the appeal of an all-in-one machine, but as a gamer does anyone else feel frustrated about this focus on social media?

Take the PS4, apparently it makes sharing of gameplay footage easier and improves connectivity in all sorts of ways. Except I don't really care about that. The only reason I buy a gaming console is to play games on it. I could care less about sharing my stuff with the rest of the people. If that's your thing, then cool, but in my opinion most of the videos people upload aren't anything to write home about anyway. I don't want or need to be connected to facebook or whatever all the time. I bought it to play games and I wish they'd spend more effort on making an absolutely monster gaming machine than a social media center.

Am I alone in this feeling? It frustrates me that a lot of the "exciting" press releases are about more social media stuff. What about getting good games for release or making sure your online network is secure and stays online? It just seems to me that they lost focus on what a gaming console should be at its core. So is social media on your console important to you? I just get the feeling they overestimate the importance of it and kind of let down their supposed core audience.

Quote Originally Posted by link4117 View Post
    For a long time now all three big console companies say they want to have their hardware be more than a gaming machine.
    They've been making these for a few decades now. I'm typing this message from one. It's called a Personal Computer.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    They've been making these for a few decades now. I'm typing this message from one. It's called a Personal Computer.

And that has nothing to do with what I'm trying to talk about at all? I'm talking about consoles. I know what a computer is and they do too. Which is part of my point, why are they trying to incorporate social media so much. I don't understand what your point is.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I use my console for is video games and DVDs. I hate social media stuff. I don't even use the motion control stuff. Whenever there is a press event and they talk about new apps, I'm disappointed.

Am I alone in this feeling? It frustrates me that a lot of the "exciting" press releases are about more social media stuff. What about getting good games for release or making sure your online network is secure and stays online? It just seems to me that they lost focus on what a gaming console should be at its core. So is social media on your console important to you? I just get the feeling they overestimate the importance of it and kind of let down their supposed core audience.
    I hear you, and it can be frustrating to hear microsoft go on and on about kinect without promising any hard hitters for actual gaming or showing us how kinect integration is actually going to assist with the titles we love - just as much as your examples with sony.

But I think you are getting bogged down in "press releases" and "teaser announcements". Announcements for games and the like generally come from game developers or publishers - not the big console companies. Console companies, instead, announce the new additions to the series or new features the consoles are going to have as well as an improved capacity to play games.

I know it can be annoying to keep hearing about twitter and facebook when you just want to play games, but I'd suggest tuning it out. The new consoles will always be first and foremost about playing games, this is a fact. All the rest is just advertising hype.

10+ Year Old Account
    My PS3 is my blu-ray, dvd, video stream, game player. Notice game being last on the list. If you don't like social media, then don't connect. If you don't like the social media news aspect, then don't read. Are they forcing you to have to have these services in order to use the console? I can see a point in your complaint if they are. I don't see what is wrong with putting some focus on the social media aspect. They have the hardware console people working on the console, and they have the other departments to take care of whatever else they need to focus on.

I think that's partially his point, if he wanted a Multi-media device he has his PC/Mac to do that with however a Gaming Console should, at it's core, be all about the games and not Multi-media functionality. Admittedly being able to capture and stream gaming footage directly from the console is pretty awesome and does eliminate the need of a capture card in ones Computer or a modded console to do so.

Deleted
    all I want from a console is a games platform.
    not movies,not social media, not something that looks up a nice chicken dinner recipe. Nothing else but to plug in, put a disk in the machine, pick up a pad and play the game.
    if I want anything else then I will use either my PC, HTPC, Mobile Phone etc.

The only reason I would want a console to connect to anything other than an online games server / matching system would be to browse for more games / demos to download.

Quote Originally Posted by aztr0 View Post
    If you don't like social media, then don't connect. If you don't like the social media news aspect, then don't read. Are they forcing you to have to have these services in order to use the console? I can see a point in your complaint if they are. I don't see what is wrong with putting some focus on the social media aspect. They have the hardware console people working on the console, and they have the other departments to take care of whatever else they need to focus on.
    The added time it takes to allow the developers of the social media side of things cost money, and that needs to be recouped from somewhere, and that is in the sales cost of the console. Had the developers not spent time and money in developing the social media side of a console then the initial price point would come down, and they are in essence forcing it on you, that is unless they are going to release two versions of the console at different prices, one which is purely a games machine, and one "fully loaded" with all the bloat. It's not about the social media aspect of it, but in this day in age where just about everyone has multiple devices which are able to connect to the magnitude of various facebook style websites out there, do we really need another one on a console ?
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2013-04-08 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    I think that's partially his point...
    I guess my actual point was if that I'm going to have both a PC and a console, I'd rather just take the money I'd spend on the console and make a better PC.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I guess my actual point was if that I'm going to have both a PC and a console, I'd rather just take the money I'd spend on the console and make a better PC.
    You must be incredibly intelligent to have come up with the same response which appears in every single console thread all by yourself.

Here are some quick facts:

1. Consoles aren't mutually exclusive
    2. There are exclusive games on EVERY platform; you are literally missing out on games by playing only on PC
    3. Nobody here is trying to/wants to argue consoles vs. PC because the entire premise is flawed

So unless you had something to actually add to the topic of the thread can you stop pointlessly trying to derail it with the same pc elitism bullshit that pops up in every other "gaming" thread? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    pc elitism
    Are you trying to tell me the PC is not the device of choice for the true master race?

To the OP: I understand where you are coming from, but it isn't exactly a terrible paradigm shift, depending on how you see it.
    Last edited by A Challenger!; 2013-04-08 at 12:14 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A Challenger! View Post
    Are you trying to tell me the PC is not the device of choice for the true master race?
    Do we really need to make this into ANOTHER PC vs Console derp fest.
    Each is great for there own respective reasons, if you cant respect that then go find one of the threads in which it has been debated to death on which is better and try not to derail this thread

Quote Originally Posted by A Challenger! View Post
    I believe in a world where the master race play games on all devices. Let me show it to you.

And that has nothing to do with what I'm trying to talk about at all? I'm talking about consoles. I know what a computer is and they do too. Which is part of my point, why are they trying to incorporate social media so much. I don't understand what your point is.
    The "problem" is that corporations tend to look at the future when designing their technology. They currently see that dedicated gaming devices are starting to be (or already are) on the decline. Thus to remain competitive and relevant they need to expand into other spaces where gaming overlaps. Social media is a fine example of this.
    But then again, I am a Snowman on Fire!
    Yizelin the Insane

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    I believe in a world where the master race play games on all devices. Let me show it to you.
    I couldn't help myself. You have my condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Do we really need to make this into ANOTHER PC vs Console derp fest.
    Each is great for there own respective reasons, if you cant respect that then go find one of the threads in which it has been debated to death on which is better and try not to derail this thread
    Slow your roll, I was only poking the bear, so to speak. Could've been more clear I suppose, sarcasm doesn't translate too well through the tubes.

10+ Year Old Account
    SHut up about PCs, we know you love PCs, you're typing from one right now.

Consoles for more than "gaming" are Computers. Why even make consoles when computers are more efficient at being more than just gaming systems?

But I do like the idea of the Ps4 having streaming capabilities built into it.

Which I personally would do myself since I leave the console buying to my siblings but I would have to admit that there are a few amazing games that are on consoles that never make it to PC(emulation doesn't count here).

I use my PS3 as not just a gaming console, but also as my Netflix viewer, my youtube viewer (when on the couch, obviously), my blue-ray/DVD player and also it connects to my Mac via MediaLink so I may use my regular Mac as a remote server hub for streaming other videos, photos and music.

Quote Originally Posted by aztr0 View Post
    My PS3 is my blu-ray, dvd, video stream, game player. Notice game being last on the list. If you don't like social media, then don't connect. If you don't like the social media news aspect, then don't read. Are they forcing you to have to have these services in order to use the console? I can see a point in your complaint if they are. I don't see what is wrong with putting some focus on the social media aspect. They have the hardware console people working on the console, and they have the other departments to take care of whatever else they need to focus on.
    It sure is being shoved down everyone's throats though. It's being used as the selling point for the consoles. My takeaway from it is: this is a social media center. Meaning it's not for me. Sigma hit the nail on the head. It makes me feel like I'm paying for things I don't want or need. I already have my computer and phone asking me to share everything with everyone all the time.