New Mining and Herbalism Changes in 5.3 PTR

Didn't see this on the front page yet but apparently we can now level mining and Herbalism 1-600 all on the MOP continent.

It looks like they are breaking out herbs and ore like essences so you get parts of them and after you gather 10 you can make 1 full herb/ore. The more you level up the more parts you get until you start gathering complete ores/herbs.

Now, does this apply only to Pandaria? Because it would be really nice to be able to continue herbing and leveling herbalism when you outlevel a zone and move on without bringing your herbalism up to par for the next zone (as in, for 1-85 content). I don't think I've leveled a character in the past few years where I haven't very quickly had my herbalism fall behind the level of the zone because leveling your player has been so incredibly sped up (esp. as a monk).

This has been on the official notes and the front page already.

It often times really looks good on paper but just doesn't work on execution. I recently was so excited on the BS fix to power levelling I paid a miner to farm a ton of Ghost Iron ore for me.

Since the Vanilla Ores were really cheap I levelled via the old ores till 300 and thought I would power level using Ghost Iron ore. However, even with those low rates that I bought the Ghost Iron Bars for (50g/stack) it still seemed ridiculous beyond reason to even level BS using Ghost Iron ore. It gets even worse towards TBC and WTLK. You often needed 50-100 bars to gain 5 levels on each craft. I was simply stunned and reverted back to levelling via the old world mats.

At least you get a little bit back from crafting greens and blue by selling them on the AH or Disenchanting them or even vendoring them which sells for a decent penny 5g+. However, if you were to craft all the house hold wares using Ghost Iron ore, you usually end selling stacks of the finished products in silver. You basically write out the entire investment to level BS. You get nothing from it. I know that its only an option and its a luxury for those not willing to farm or spend the time, but its horribly designed.

I don't even see this design for gathering to be very economical. Considering only newer players and those low on gold usually take up gathering, this would completely rip them off. Miners usually make a ton of gold currently farming up TBC and WTLK ores. They actually sell for more than a stack of Ghost Iron ore sells on my servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    It often times really looks good on paper but just doesn't work on execution. I recently was so excited on the BS fix to power levelling I paid a miner to farm a ton of Ghost Iron ore for me.

Since the Vanilla Ores were really cheap I levelled via the old ores till 300 and thought I would power level using Ghost Iron ore. However, even with those low rates that I bought the Ghost Iron Bars for (50g/stack) it still seemed ridiculous beyond reason to even level BS using Ghost Iron ore. It gets even worse towards TBC and WTLK. You often needed 50-100 bars to gain 5 levels on each craft. I was simply stunned and reverted back to levelling via the old world mats.

At least you get a little bit back from crafting greens and blue by selling them on the AH or Disenchanting them or even vendoring them which sells for a decent penny 5g+. However, if you were to craft all the house hold wares using Ghost Iron ore, you usually end selling stacks of the finished products in silver. You basically write out the entire investment to level BS. You get nothing from it. I know that its only an option and its a luxury for those not willing to farm or spend the time, but its horribly designed.

I don't even see this design for gathering to be very economical. Considering only newer players and those low on gold usually take up gathering, this would completely rip them off. Miners usually make a ton of gold currently farming up TBC and WTLK ores. They actually sell for more than a stack of Ghost Iron ore sells on my servers.
    When I saw the amount of ghost iron ore that was required to level BS using the new method I knew it wouldnt be economical. Gathering is a little different though. You will make gold no matter how you level it since you will always get stuff to sell. It will probably still be more profitable to level mining and herbalism by gathering old world mats but it will be a little slower because you have to travel to new zones to keep gaining skill while you can just do circles in a Pandaria zone. There is also no CRZ in Pandaria so no off server competition.

Im kind of interested what effect this change will have. Alchemy still requires old world mats to level so if people move to Pandaria leveling for gathering, the cost to level Alchemy will go up. That is if people who sell these mats are levelers and not just max level farmers who gouge on goldthorn. BS can level with ghost iron if the old world mats arent available but I estimate it costs twice as much to use the new method and you have nothing to sell afterwards.

Also I wonder why they didnt add it to skinning which is actually the only prof I could benefit from the change. All Im interested for in skinning is the all profs max ach and then Im dropping it. It would be nice to only have to kill and skin 600 mobs in the Jade Forest when my char gets to 85.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post

You are not meant to "powerlevel" with Ghost Iron Bars. The whole point was to give an alternative if the mats you need aren't available on the AH, or someone is holding them to ransom. If the cost was lower then everyone will just level via Ghost Iron Bars, making the older mats obsolete.

I'm glad for this change, low level herbs are annoying to sell and Pandaria is much more pleasing to look at than other places.