Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    And yes, piercing arrows works the way you think, remember though that you need to be flanking for SB bleeds to apply.
    Yeah that's not really a problem with an ursine pet...they are champs. I think knowing that piercing works that way I will stick to running a GS/SB combo for leveling and make sure to have piercing arrows. Seems to fit my style well. I will probably want to farm that way too.

Thanks for the responses.
    BAD WOLF

I don't really know. I just like sword + warhorn way more, while the wings charge on greatsword is cool, the fighting style of the sword is priceless.

The GS hate comes mainly from PvE (dungeon) players. GS is a defensive weapon (gazillion evades on auto attack+block+daze. This makes it very subpar for PvE (you want dps).
    I don't play a ranger but I'm pretty sure GS auto attack has no evade attached to it, the 1h sword does and GS daze increases pet damage. Other then the block on GS there really isn't anything defensive.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I don't play a ranger but I'm pretty sure GS auto attack has no evade attached to it, the 1h sword does and GS daze increases pet damage. Other then the block on GS there really isn't anything defensive.
    Yeah it has auto dodge on it...third strike I think? I discovered that yesterday when 20 dodges was one of the daily requirements. Going to remember that cheese for the future.
    BAD WOLF

Personally, I run axe/torch + traps and I find it very effective. My weapon swap is short bow, but I'm not a huge fan of it. Frankly, I've found the majority of the ranger arsenal to be lackluster for one reason or another.

Deleted
    Hi
    This is my build: http://tinyurl.com/d6kwzd9

My set is the power, precision, crit from CoF with the superior runes of ranger, the weapons are the long and short mystic bows (condition damage) with the superior sigil of precision, I got the ascended accessories, neck, earrings and rings of power, precision, crit...
    I play mostly PvE and WvW, I really love the range part of the rangers and cant stand close combat...

Any suggestions to tweak my build to make it better?

Then read instead of write...

Power stab (auto attack 3rd skill) has an evade worked in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Personally, I run axe/torch + traps and I find it very effective. My weapon swap is short bow, but I'm not a huge fan of it. Frankly, I've found the majority of the ranger arsenal to be lackluster for one reason or another.
    All ranger weapons are lackluster. Either the skills work against each other, don't combo or simply lack "umpf" (because of pets...)

Well the thing is; http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Power_Stab

I actually prefer melee ranger in dungeons. More aoe and I feel more in control. Quite like GS, although I don't 1h sword as troublesome as many others do. Just turn off #1 and click twice.

In open world, I use Axe/Longbow most often for "drive-by" DE credit.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-04-11 at 05:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In PvE Great Sword is fine now that Mauls been buffed to hit like a truck, people are able to hit the sPvP heavy golem for 10k with it, that's not including the bleeding, or the huge PvE stat inflation on gear, or the food/oil buffs... And then there's still the pet that's unaccounted for which would lead to the ranger pumping out A LOT! of damage.

Not to mention the fucking auto attack is an evade machine so you could be total glass and still be "sturdy".

The MAIN complaints i hear about GS is for the whole Maul is nearly impossible to hit someone with in PvP because face it... you pretty much need to have downs to -not- figure out how to walk away from it...

PS: Longbow damage > Shortbow damage IF YOU'RE 1000 AWAY OR GREATER!!

Sebrent (spelling may be off) recently did the testing on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

That's a big frigin if and secondly, I doubt it. People have tested it for ages and always sb>lb. I might have missed buffs on LB but I doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a big frigin if and secondly, I doubt it. People have tested it for ages and always sb>lb. I might have missed buffs on LB but I doubt it.
    A lot of the tests for LB vs SB involves going 30/30/x/x/x and DON'T flank with the longbow, meaning that the longbow does 10% less damage than the shortbow in the test.

Not to mention the sb is better in close brawly ranges which means you're going to be dodging and using endurance making it so they wont have the steady focus 10% as well, where the longbow would be at 1200 or so away making it so they wouldn't need to dodge because they'd be off the radar in just about every PvE encounter i can think of.

Then if you use Scholar runes you'd also get the 10% bonus from that more actively too. etc etc.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

With PvE encounter do you mean dungeons or open world or both? Since in dungeons there's no frigin way you'll be at 1100 range.
    Also you'er forgeting that rangers don't need to dodge that much with an SB, SB 3 is awesome and has quite a short CD (7sec).
    Want to know the kicker? Short bow can shoot just as far...(unles you grab the longbow range trait which is simply useless.)

Another side note is that you say "close brawley ranges" which is a blatant lie. You are better whenever a longbow isn't at max range (and even then...).
    On a similar note, flanking with a longbow is pretty hard because of this. If the boss flips targets all of a sudden you're not flanking anymore. If the boss gets kited, there again is a big chance you won't be flanking anymore...

Scholar runes or not isn't really important 90% means that 2k dmg will take me under that threshold, that's one random AoE hit. And another big if. You're better off with ruby orbs anyway.
    But let's give this the benefit of the doubt, 10% from flanking vs 10% from scholar sort of evens out. But oh wait, not if you add ruby orbs, now SB is ahead again...

10+ Year Old Account
    With PvE encounter do you mean dungeons or open world or both? Since in dungeons there's no frigin way you'll be at 1100 range.
    Also you'er forgeting that rangers don't need to dodge that much with an SB, SB 3 is awesome and has quite a short CD (7sec).
    Want to know the kicker? Short bow can shoot just as far...(unles you grab the longbow range trait which is simply useless.)

Another side note is that you say "close brawley ranges" which is a blatant lie. You are better whenever a longbow isn't at max range (and even then...).
    On a similar note, flanking with a longbow is pretty hard because of this. If the boss flips targets all of a sudden you're not flanking anymore. If the boss gets kited, there again is a big chance you won't be flanking anymore...

Scholar runes or not isn't really important 90% means that 2k dmg will take me under that threshold, that's one random AoE hit. And another big if. You're better off with ruby orbs anyway.
    But let's give this the benefit of the doubt, 10% from flanking vs 10% from scholar sort of evens out. But oh wait, not if you add ruby orbs, now SB is ahead again...
    Idk how the longbow would work with ruby orbs since those are not in an area i can test things easily, i can always ask someone with better tools to do the number crunching though if it's that big of a deal for you.

I'm just telling you that when the longbow is at max range (like it's designed for) it's better than the shortbow, i'm not saying that the longbow is the all mighty bow of damage in every scenario.

I'm just letting you guys know that the longbow has the POTENTIAL to do the most damage (bow wise) for ranger. But things don't tend to work the same in the field as they do in a vacuum.

Maybe I should give longbow another try. I find shortbow to be disappointing.

1. I'm rarely able to utilize the bleed. Regardless of what pet I use I almost always end up tanking, which makes maneuvering around to hopefully get 1-2 stacks of bleeds every now and then a pain in the ass.
    2. The raw dps without condition damage is god awful. It's like chipping away at a statue with an ice pick.
    3. The condition damage SB does have is almost completely useless in DEs because other people are keeping perma-poison and 25 stack bleeds on everything.

Frankly, if it weren't for SB's piercing I would have ditched it a long time ago, especially considering I only find it useful for the auto attack.

Hell, maybe I should give GS another shot. :P

It has the potential "suposedly" meaning, it doesn't.

I was just trying to point out that the ups and downs of both bows (no dodge vs no flanking etc) sort of even out and for the rest I doubt how good the LB actually is.

@Lane
    1. The bleed is just a bonus, if you're not adding the bleed you're not flanking and thus not maximising dps. Bleed on its own isn't anything mentionable either way.
    2. It's actually better than LB (at -1000range apparently)
    3. conditions are never the way

1. The bleed is just a bonus, if you're not adding the bleed you're not flanking and thus not maximising dps. Bleed on its own isn't anything mentionable either way.
    Can't flank if I'm tanking. :P Believe me, I've tried. Mobs turn around so quickly I'm lucky to get 1-2 bleeds. Personally, I've found the bleed makes all the difference in the world. I have no personal data to back it up, but mobs go down significantly faster if I can get (and maintain) a 6+ stack bleed on them. It's the main reason I use SB ranger as my key farmer. At that level I don't do enough direct damage to pull much aggro from the pet and stuff melts like butter with the bleed.

It's not the bleed, SB doesn't add bleed fast enough on it's own to make it worthwhile.
    Ofcourse if you're speced for condi dmg it's obvious your conditions will do more dmg than normal hits

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Idk how the longbow would work with ruby orbs since those are not in an area i can test things easily, i can always ask someone with better tools to do the number crunching though if it's that big of a deal for you.

I'm just telling you that when the longbow is at max range (like it's designed for) it's better than the shortbow, i'm not saying that the longbow is the all mighty bow of damage in every scenario.

I'm just letting you guys know that the longbow has the POTENTIAL to do the most damage (bow wise) for ranger. But things don't tend to work the same in the field as they do in a vacuum.
    Are you taking the attack speed (bug?) of the longbow into account here? have you actually tested or just done the math of what they should be doing? because I very much doubt longbow can outdamage the shortbow even at max range maybe the physical part of but definetly not if you take bleeds into account not to mention shortbow can also easily keep perma poison up.
    Last edited by mmoc7104c19b7e; 2013-04-12 at 01:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    Are you taking the attack speed (bug?) of the longbow into account here? have you actually tested or just done the math of what they should be doing? because I very much doubt longbow can outdamage the shortbow even at max range maybe the physical part of but definetly not if you take bleeds into account not to mention shortbow can also easily keep perma poison up.
    I've done the actual field testing (IE golems), the other guy did the math stuff, and doing anything on shortbow other than auto attack lowers dps.

If you get all 5arrows to hit on one target from poison thingy, that's actually a dps increase, but yea when do you do that in a real situation...