Thread: New Player Here

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Player Here

Hello everyone, as a long time WoW player I've become bored and dissatisfied with the game, and recently (a few days ago) switched to Rift. I was curious, what is the best way to level up from 1-50? I asked on the official Rift forums, and someone told me that it would be having a level 60 mage throw a Charged Shield on me, and then I myself should mentor down and run through masses of mobs in high-density low-level areas. I was just wondering if anyone had any extra input.

I was also wondering how to increase the usefulness of the nameplates. To clarify, I already have them enabled in-game, but they don't seem very responsive. If I click on the nameplate itself to switch targets, it usually takes 2-3 extra clicks before the game will finally switch my target, I've had to resort to targeting the mobs by clicking on them directly (which is highly inefficient in large packs where everything sort of "balls up" in to one large group). It makes it a bit more difficult for me to multi-dot (playing as a Mage - Warlock) and tab targeting is unpredictable, if there's a way to bypass these issues I'm having that'd be great and I'd much appreciate the info.

Thanks everybody!

I think you are going to find that the 1-50 leveling is so fast that you won't need to grind mobs. There's these things called "instant adventures" that just ports you around and give you random quests that reward you with insane exp and level appropriate gear.

Also, sorry to hear about tab target stuff. It's why action combat like TESO, Tera, Gw2 (with CM1.1 mod), NWO, vindictus, firefall, and warframe tends to be a bit more fun for me, personally.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Questing + Instant Adventures is the fastest way to level. 1-50 is very fast without much effort. Anyone experienced in MMOs can do so in like 48-50 hours played. It's very fast to the point of being a non-issue.

50-60 is another matter entirely...

I don't notice any delay in nameplate usage personally. And I use them all the time as a tank. No advice on that issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    As the others have said IA's or Instant Adventures are basically what people do. Obviously you can quest, but the IA's are much faster and you get loot bags as well as the planar currencies to buy gear as you level.

Thanks a ton for the info everyone, started doing Instant Adventures yesterday and I have to say I enjoy them a bit more than questing solo. At 42 currently. I noticed you mentioned that 50-60 changes this leveling process up a bit Fencers, so what would be the best way to level to 60? If you take rep in to consideration I've been told just questing as usual, but I've also been told that doing great hunt rifts is far better, I just don't know if those reward worthwhile reputation for me at 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoomin View Post
    Thanks a ton for the info everyone, started doing Instant Adventures yesterday and I have to say I enjoy them a bit more than questing solo. At 42 currently. I noticed you mentioned that 50-60 changes this leveling process up a bit Fencers, so what would be the best way to level to 60? If you take rep in to consideration I've been told just questing as usual, but I've also been told that doing great hunt rifts is far better, I just don't know if those reward worthwhile reputation for me at 60.
    Getting from 50-60 is a battle. You should do everything available to you.
    The primary quests give a lot of exp... but there's not a lot of them.
    So you could do carnages but those don't give a lot of exp.
    Or you could do onslaughts but sometimes those aren't up / you don't have a lot of people around you.
    And always do world events even if they are too high for you, get a guildie to banner you to the events.
    Instance grinding is pretty good but not great unless you've got a team and can bang them out fast.

When you hit 60 it's a great feeling of accomplishment tho. Not due to skill, just determination lol.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thinking about reputation at all in this game is not something worthy of your time. Dailies reward little to no rep and maxing them out is insanely difficult. Other than the great hunt faction, there's not anything you should be actively pursuing imo. Until the Dendrome comes out and Qajiri rep becomes better, just do whatever you want. Other than Volan and then the following dailies, most dailies seem worthless to me. I did them every day for weeks and didn't even move up one level.

Considering there are like 5-6 levels of rep in this game, as opposed to WoW's standard 3-4, don't let rep be a motivating factor for anything you do.

As for leveling, I would just do everything available to you. You are going to want to do all the quests, do a lot of carnages, and weave in IA's and dungeons just to keep you sane. 50-60 in Rift is a total grind. It's an enjoyable one if you like questing and story, but a nightmare if you are just trying to hit max level. Don't let the monumental task discourage you from the game. Just know what you are in for.
    BAD WOLF

I noticed you mentioned that 50-60 changes this leveling process up a bit Fencers, so what would be the best way to level to 60?
    You do the exact same thing 50 to 60 as 1 to 50. It just takes far longer to get those 10 levels than it did to get 50 relatively speaking. Prepare for a slog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    As for leveling, I would just do everything available to you. You are going to want to do all the quests, do a lot of carnages, and weave in IA's and dungeons just to keep you sane. 50-60 in Rift is a total grind. It's an enjoyable one if you like questing and story, but a nightmare if you are just trying to hit max level. Don't let the monumental task discourage you from the game. Just know what you are in for.
    You know what's even sadder? Elrar frequents these forums... You would think that he would tell someone that the leveling experience from 50~60 is crap and slap someone in the dev team against the friggin' head and fix it.

I've leveled two characters to 60 - it was painful.

What is the point of punishing people a few months after the expansion has been out with a long grind to 60 to catch up to friends? It just discourages people in my opinion. People that are interested in the lore will go back anyway.

I used to think that Trion was a progressive company, but with all the grind... just as crap in their mindset as any other generic Korean mmo. They should, after a few months after release, help, rather than hinder people getting max level, max rep as soon as possible. Level sub-60's are useless to raiding guilds. What's the harm in having more level 60's, quicker?

Don't get me wrong, Rift is my favourite mmo - when I feel like logging on (Bring on patch 2.3), but certainly just as flawed as the others in their mindset - maybe even more so.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-04-12 at 03:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    You know what's even sadder? Elrar frequents these forums... You would think that he would tell someone that the leveling experience from 50~60 is crap and slap someone in the dev team against the friggin' head and fix it.

I've leveled two characters to 60 - it was painful.

What is the point of punishing people a few months after the expansion has been out with a long grind to 60 to catch up to friends? It just discourages people in my opinion. People that are interested in the lore will go back anyway.
    I mean...I didn't have a problem with it. I loved the game when I was leveling so it was a very enjoyable grind. In a game where alts aren't as prevalent I don't have a problem with lengthy leveling. I would have enjoyed more quests and less carnage required for leveling, so an overall slightly quicker experience, but my problem with the game is in the impossible grinds after you hit max with a lack of rewards for various activities.

It's the only reason I'm not playing right now. That's a much larger issue than leveling.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    It's the only reason I'm not playing right now. That's a much larger issue than leveling.
    Same here - Rep, pretty much everything is just too damn grindy - I amended my post a bit - after you quoted it - but not too much.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-04-12 at 03:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same here - too damn grindy - I amended my post a bit - after you quoted it - but not too much.
    Well not only is it grindy, but there's no reliable way to even grind. Qajiri and the other whats their faces have a small amount of dailies that yield hardly any rep. What's left, farming onslaughts? Uhh...no, that's not fun and also rewards crap rep. The problem is that doing every single activity that earns rep is mind numbingly painful and rewards little to nothing in return. I shouldn't have been able to do every daily, every onslaught I see, hunt rifts, every crafting daily, etc for 2 months and not even be halfway through a main rep.

That's just beyond bad. Once I had my gear outside of raiding, I literally was left with nothing that was going to progress my character. I could continue doing the very annoying dailies and maybe by now I would maxed? Maybe I still wouldn't? I knew the longer I wasted time doing them, the less satisfied with the game I would be.

I had to walk away. It's a shame too because I have a sub running for 4 more months. If the Dendrome doesn't drastically alter what you can do at max level, I'll be finished for good. Such a shame since only a few months ago I had such a high impression of the game.
    BAD WOLF

Seem Trion did the Everquest 2 thing. Where in order to keep the small player base "busy" they created a lot of arbitrarily long rep grinds and/or drawn out quests at max level.

It's not too bad a strat for those long time fans of the game(s). Give them something to grind that takes a while and they will pay for the game time to do it.

Eventually it'll collapse as that pool of players willing to pay a sub for the privilege to grind content dwindles over time; EQ2, War, Vanguard, FF11, Mortal, etc.

Really don't think this is sustainable in a major way when the new MMO market has shifted so drastically.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-04-12 at 04:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Really don;t think this is sustainable in a major way when the new MMO market has shifted so drastically.
    I don't either. As much as people praised Trion for their first job well done, it seems like they have dropped the ball this go round. A game asking a subscription needs to provide much more to do. Never thought I'd see the day where WoW provides more active content more frequently than Trion.

Especially since there are so many other games that don't require a subscription providing at worst the same experience and at best a vastly better/different one.

I feel like I missed out on a lot by not playing this game when it first came out instead of coming on this late.
    BAD WOLF

Leveling from 50-60 isn't all that bad. I think you just need to do a variety of things not to mention don't focus on how long it takes! When I didn't focus on how long the leveling was taking I found 50-60 quite enjoyable! However I do think that they should increase the exp gained from both carnage and regular questing. Carnages especially after 55 don't seem to give near enough exp for the time it takes to complete them. As for endgame grind there are lesser runes I think you don't need to max out your reps. Unless your a progression raider and need to get the best runes asap I say just take your time.

I think a big part of the problem isn't the grind or that it takes a long time its the lack of variety. I don't think people would be so unhappy if there was more variety in great hunts for instance or if there was more variety in daily quests. Onslaughts would be more fun if they actually felt like onslaughts sometimes you spend more time it feels waiting for the mobs to come then actually fighting them it seems! Dungeons should really give more rep too. It would be nice too to see more rewards for achievements and not just those crystals. Not that those are not decent but things like cool companion pets or even neat dimension rewards would be far more interesting.
    I don't envy their job though its an constant uphill battle at best keeping mmo players happy haha.

I have high hopes for 2.3 though it seems they are really trying to add a lot of stuff. I do think they really need to start giving out more info about it. There has been a lot of silence lately it seems. This is not a good thing I understand the patch might not be ready for the pts yet but more info would be nice to keep people interested in the game. I personally still have a lot to get done but am no longer as excited about playing the game as I was in the past. It seems from reading a lot of posts lately a lot of people are feeling the same way I am.

Of course in my own personally experience I think I am just tired of the whole WoW type of mmo.

But to the OP don't let this discourage you. Everyone has their own opinions and a lot of people do still enjoy Rift. People are usually much quicker to post their negative experiences/thoughts then they are the positive thoughts. Just take your time and enjoy yourself as much as possible! And hopefully we get more specific info on 2.3 as well it does look like it will be an amazing patch from what little we know.
    Last edited by Calliso; 2013-04-12 at 04:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calliso View Post
    Leveling from 50-60 isn't all that bad.
    Yes, it is. It's terrible. I tried to defend it once, then I leveled a second character.

I eventually paid a young relative to sit and do it for me. I would pay him to grind rep too if I thought I'd still be playing it in a year when my sub runs out. If they pick up the ball again, I may still do so, but at the moment it seems to not be the case.

The 50~60 isn't the worst part. It's the rep grind and lack of "new" things to do after.

Fencers is right - They don't have content, so they fill it with grind. It will implode on them if they don't pull their finger out their arses and start putting out more content. Hunt Rifts, Onslaughts are boring after the first 50.

That carnival event was a friggin joke. By all accounts, even their PR department are clueless - not even issuing any damage-control statements when people started leaving /were let go.

I would be tempted to be playing WoW right now if it wasn't for the god awful graphics engine that I can't bear to look at.

My concern about 2.3 is that it will be another 6 months before we see another big content patch and will just see re-used events. They're obviously trying to fill it with enough content to make it bigger than WoW's latest patch.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-04-12 at 05:22 PM.

Yes, it is. It's terrible. I tried to defend it once, then I leveled a second character.

I eventually paid a young relative to sit and do it for me. I would pay him to grind rep too if I thought I'd still be playing it in a year when my sub runs out. If they pick up the ball again, I may still do so, but at the moment it seems to not be the case.

The 50~60 isn't the worst part. It's the rep grind and lack of "new" things to do after.

Fencers is right - They don't have content, so they fill it with grind. It will implode on them if they don't pull their finger out their arses and start putting out more content. Hunt Rifts, Onslaughts are boring after the first 50.

That carnival event was a friggin joke. By all accounts, even their PR department are clueless - not even issuing any damage-control statements when people started leaving /were let go.

I would be tempted to be playing WoW right now if it wasn't for the god awful graphics engine that I can't bear to look at.

My concern about 2.3 is that it will be another 6 months before we see another big content patch and will just see re-used events. They're obviously trying to fill it with enough content to make it bigger than WoW's latest patch.
    I second this. I too tried to defend aspects of the game like the Hunt Rift system for quite some time, and the content they had. However, every raiding guild I was in was struggling, several falling apart. Been in 5 different guilds since SL and none seem to be progressing and all have issues with attendance and numbers. I was going to cancel my sub, then tried one more guild and it seemed to be ok, so I re-subbed for one month, lasted all of a week. I cancelled and have not logged in in 2-3 weeks now. I don't have the time to grind anymore for rep and CQ. The guild I was in, even though I had only been there a week was already pressuring for that. I'm done for now.

Now, for a new player, you'll probably have a lot of fun for quite some time. I would still highly recommend the game, as a lot of what I am dealing with is time issues and just flat out getting burnt out, having played MMOs since EQ, FFXI, WoW from very first closed beta through to Cata, SWtoR, Tera and a slew of others I've tried out in there, I think a lot of why I am sick of it is after all that it really just feels like the same old same old, even in Rift at this point.

I remember back when SL launched and I was all, "Hunt rifts are lame and just a grind."

To which the Rift forum regulars were all, "LOL DO YOU EVEN PLAY RIFT FENCERS HUNT RIFTS SO GOOD"

And then I was like, "Yea, brahs. They're awful. Soz."

As always- I am quite pleased with myself.

I remember back when SL launched and I was all, "Hunt rifts are lame and just a grind."

To which the Rift forum regulars were all, "LOL DO YOU EVEN PLAY RIFT FENCERS HUNT RIFTS SO GOOD"

I still think they were great, I just think the rep you gain from doing them needs to be about double what it was. If it had been, I would have been happy with them, loved them, got my rep and carried on.

10+ Year Old Account

LOL ya I remember you guys going back and forth on Hunt Rifts.