Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

How to catch up in ilvl in.

Hi, ive been playing monk for a week or so and i want to gear up to raid. The lfr for heart of fear and msv and so on, there are no 5 man heroics to get gear from. Im completely lost in how to gear om up nowadays. Do you have any tips?

10+ Year Old Account
    You can get some crafted 496 pieces from Leatherworkers, if you're a Scribe, you can craft yourself a staff, you can do the 5.0 dailies and get the 489 valor gear at a discount, and you can go to isle of thunder and open up the daily area to get a 522 neck.
    Last edited by Zethras; 2013-04-12 at 06:33 PM.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    and you can do the 5.2 dailies to get 522 gear.
    not true that rep is earned from killing trash(till 2999/3000) then only 330 rep per boss in ToT.

the 5.2 dailies offer only a 476 belt for gold at honored.

What's your current item level? The first LFR for MSV requires 460 itlvl, which you can get quite easily by getting some heroic items and justice/honor-rewards. So when you reach 460 you have the first two MSV-parts, after that you have both HoF and ToES at 470 itlvl, and then the newest, ToT at 480 itlvl. I can recommend buying the valor neck from Shado Pan Assault for 1250 Valor. You only need to be neutral with them (which you start out as), and it has 522 itlvl, so it should give you a few points in that department. (You can buy it from their quartermaster on Isle of Thunder)

You also have the other faction on Isle of Thunder, Sunreaver or Kirin Tor depending on if you are Alliance or Horde, and at Honored you can buy an epic waist (376 itlvl) for gold. Honored is not that hard reaching, and probably doable from 2-3 days of doing dailies. If not less.

So you really just need to reach the 460 limit, then keep improving your gear through LFR and Valor Points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    not true that rep is earned from killing trash(till 2999/3000) then only 330 rep per boss in ToT.

You have access to a neck at neutral, so no dailies required for that, but yes, you are correct.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post

It still gives you a boost, a pretty big one too. 522 neck and 476 belt that is probably replacing 440s from quest rewards.

Other than that, do your heroics, grind out those valor points, use justice points too to get minor upgrades that won't drop from heroics, kill your world bosses, buy cheap epics from the AH (don't need to equip them, so you can sell them back on the AH). And do certain reps, don't need to get exalted, some reward you with decent awards at honored. Hit 90 last week on a priest and I can already queue for ToT, woohoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    use justice points too to get minor upgrades that won't drop from heroics
    only use JP to convert to HP for pvp gear.

Get the 3 mogu coins every week, kill oondasta, kill nalak and use coins on them, get the 496 crafted gloves and chest, do lfr. Kill sha and galleon also weekly. May depend also on what server you are on as well. On illidan world bosses are killed almost as soon as they spawn every time they spawn, on my other server mok nathal bosses just sit untouched for days. So maybe changing your server will help you.

Deleted
    Sha gives 476 boots.
    Do Sha/Galleon/Oondasta/Nalak every week for 496/522 gear.
    Then do LFR for 483-502 gear.

Also on Isle follow around the group of people killing the rares, they have a high chance to drop the key for the treasure run scenario and you can walk away from that with 10-15 elder charms easy. This will make gearing up through LFR much easier.
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

Spam 5mans, convert JP to honor and buy Malevolent honor gear (476ilvl gear and 470ilvl weapons.

They are 1:1 to same ilvl pve gear =)

What Speks said. I've been farming honor to buy Malevolent gear, and after about a week I'm at 471 item level. (still have some 450/463 blues)

I just leveled my paladin alt and got to 475 ilvl in 2-3 days...I can't stand grinding heroics and prefer pvp so my approach was:

1. Buy 458 ilvl pvp gear (mats are cheap, if the crafted gear is super pricey in AH get a blacksmith/tailor/leatherworker to craft the gear for you with your mats).
    2. Do the 5.2 dailies and run the treasure room for Elder Charms of Good Fortune--you'll have to farm the key to the room for this, not hard considering that the respawn rates of rares/chests that drop the key is fairly high.
    3. Kill Oon/Sha/Nalak, get the 475 boots from the claw of anger that drops from Sha
    4. PvP'd for honor upgrades until my ilvl was high enough for MV.
    5. Used elder charms for every boss encounter that gave me a significant upgrade in MV, then on to HoF and ToES.

Remember that pvp gear doesn't take up pve stat slots anymore so go ahead and use it for pve if its ilvl/stats are a significant upgrade (unless you are a paladin/warrior tank, which you are not).

Good luck, have fun gearing up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaikos View Post
    Hi, ive been playing monk for a week or so and i want to gear up to raid. The lfr for heart of fear and msv and so on, there are no 5 man heroics to get gear from. Im completely lost in how to gear om up nowadays. Do you have any tips?
    Dude Heroics drop 463 gear, you only need 460 for the first tier of MoP LFR. Your not going to be able to jump right into the newest content if thats what your trying to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    So wait, why aren't there any heroics 5 mans for you to get gear from?
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    So wait, why aren't there any heroics 5 mans for you to get gear from?
    Because they didn't want to take that approach. the whole "Spam 5 mans for a weekend, get gear superior than prior raid" isn't what they wanted.

They wanted people to run raids to get raid gear. Crazy, I know.

VP gear tied to rep is also Ultra cheap.

You could do dailies and unlock some of it and grab that too.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Because they didn't want to take that approach. the whole "Spam 5 mans for a weekend, get gear superior than prior raid" isn't what they wanted.

It's a waste of valor to spend your points on non 522 items. It sets you back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post

But he said he wants to gear up for MSV. All he needs for that is Heroic 5 man gear. There's no need for new, shortcut heroics for what he's trying to get into.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    But he said he wants to gear up for MSV. All he needs for that is Heroic 5 man gear. There's no need for new, shortcut heroics for what he's trying to get into.
    He doesn't say he wants to gear up for msv. He says he wants to gear up to raid. And nobody takes someone to msv if they're in blues. Don't argue as if the wow community isn't what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    He doesn't say he wants to gear up for msv. He says he wants to gear up to raid. And nobody takes someone to msv if they're in blues. Don't argue as if the wow community isn't what it is.
    Um, yes he did? He even specified LFR.

Hi, ive been playing monk for a week or so and i want to gear up to raid. The lfr for heart of fear and msv and so on