Thread: [TV] Community

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    It was streets ahead of the first episode, but still missing something. It was like they had too many stories at the same time and the ending was flat. Some kind of Deus Ex reveal from no where. It didn't really carry over the "Scooby doo" theme to the end.

Still a really nice episode.
    how is the theme not carried through? spooky house, disguised man, big reveal at the end that explains everything. There was even the rare twist ending that puts in a second bad guy who the original guy doesn't know about. The only thing missing would be the iconic 2-3 minute chase scene with the hallway of doors and all the characters being chased two and from each doorway while crossing each other's path.
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri
    I admit to having a nice diabolic cackle now and then, but it's not like I'm sitting in front of a bank of monitors each filled with an angry forum thread, stroking a siamese cat and telling my henchmen that they've failed me for the last time. (Source)

Deleted
    I am a giant fan of the Community, I loved the first 3 season, hell I could probably quote most of the show...

But this season is off. I don't know why I feel like that but everything seems to be going too fast, characters even talk too fast(?), a lot of things don't make much sense, the wittiness just isn't there, instead a lot of the jokes and funny scenes seem brute forced onto me.

And I don't think I am the only one with these feelings because the ratings dropped by almost half... Meaning that almost half the people who watched the 1st episode didn't watch this one: https://twitter.com/jonweisman/statu...48688905740289

Well surprise, surprise, firing the producer does have effect on the show's quality ... Honestly I'm giving it one more chance next week and if I still don't like it I will stop watching because I don't want the "Scrubs scenario" to repeat again = last season comes up with less episodes, some new actors/writers/producers and it's a disaster essentially killing most of the great memories you'd otherwise have of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexpower3 View Post
    how is the theme not carried through? spooky house, disguised man, big reveal at the end that explains everything. There was even the rare twist ending that puts in a second bad guy who the original guy doesn't know about. The only thing missing would be the iconic 2-3 minute chase scene with the hallway of doors and all the characters being chased two and from each doorway while crossing each other's path.
    In the cartoon the ghost was caught in a fail trap. Here it was just "Hey #Pierce'sbrotherisback"

The 3rd episode was really good.

They finally managed to tie in every knot by the end. I loved it.

This thread feels dead

Anyway the 4th episode was really good as well. This time it seems they decided to scrap the whole 3+ parallel stories and just go with a 2 story model. The whole study group was moving together as one. There was the little Abed and Klaus(?) thing, but not a full side story.

The whole "history through the eyes of the vanquished" was also done really good. I hope the series doesn't get scrapped... It's too good for that.

I'm still here!
    Time gets away from me nowadays.

I did enjoy this episode, I really enjoyed when their teacher came up to them in the lunch room and the group thought he fabricated an elaborate scheme just to teach them a lesson.

I really wonder how well the ratings are going - I hope that its going well.
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri
    I admit to having a nice diabolic cackle now and then, but it's not like I'm sitting in front of a bank of monitors each filled with an angry forum thread, stroking a siamese cat and telling my henchmen that they've failed me for the last time. (Source)

15+ Year Old Account
    I hated episode 4. For the first time ever while watching Community I felt bored. The only highlights were the throwbacks to the lost pen bottle episode, the D&D game etc.

Deleted
    I've had hope for the first 3 and then again for one or two of the later episodes of season 4, but the latest one (with the balloon ride and the felt and the berries) was, sorry to anyone who liked it, utter crap.

All through S4 it felt to me as if they were playing themselves from S1-3, and did a bad job at that. The show is trying to somehow get on with all the things that worked previously while adding... personality (?) to it. But the contrary is the case, the show feels generic and pathetic for the most part.

I am really sad. Community S1-3 will be among the top3 comedy shows I've watched. The rest so far doesn't even deserve to be named in the same sentence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Funny Has only good words for Dan Harmon, and in his list of favorite episodes, there is not a single one from season four. I WONDER WHY?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm delaying watching the puppet episode from this week. I can't bring myself to do it. It sounds like crap, and just a random gimmick. In a season of 13 episodes, you don't make stupid gimmicks for most of them and expect it to be good. At least the end of the season might be better with Chang carrying out his plot.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-04-14 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I'm delaying watching the puppet episode from this week. I can't bring myself to do it. I t sounds like crap, and just a random gimmick. In a season of 13 episodes, you don't make stupid gimmicks for most of them and expect it to be good. At least the end of the season might be better with Chang carrying out his plot.
    It's not as bad as it sounds. The entire episode isn't as puppets, it kinda cuts back and forth - the Dean is using the puppets as a therapy device, for the group to tell what happened on a trip. There was a few moments I really enjoyed from it.

The show is nowhere near the level of funny that was in s1-3, but I don't hate it. It's still better than the majority of comedies out there.
    Profanity is the inevitable linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother%$#@er.
    -
    Jamboro: 110 SPriest, Jamb: 110 Blood DK, Jambori: 110 Prot. Warrior,Jambro: 110 Frost Mage, etc.

I saw the episode had puppets and I was prepared to be disappointed right away. I just hate that stuff...and the singing...just stop it.

When they were puppets singing with the fat guy from seinfeld I had to turn it off. I hate puppets, I hate the singing, and I hate the fat guy from seinfeld.

At least I know I can always count on Parks and Recreation to deliver every week.

This past episode (puppet one) was the first time that Community has let me down. The puppet stuff was fine, it was the songs that did it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of musical episodes...my favorite episode of Buffy was "Once more with Feeling" and their have been lots of other shows that did successful musical episodes. Hell even community has done one before (Christmas pageant one where they filled in for the glee club). It's just the the songs in this episode weren't good. Tonally, lyrically, structurally....just not good.

The only thing i liked about it was all the secrets they revealed. Each one fit the character so well (Troy's was kinda random, though), including Abed's response: "I didn't share one that night. After we got back from the woods everyone was being silent and not making eye contact. I didnn't know why, so I just mirrored your behavior". heh heh, good ole Abed.

10+ Year Old Account
    That Abed line almost saved the episode. Almost.

But yeah, I watched it. The songs were terrible. Like, really bad. And for super secret dark secrets, most of them weren't so Mother of All Secret things. Oh boy, Annie sucked up to a teacher. Jeff let "the one" get away (is anybody surprised at that?). Britta doesn't vote. Who knew she was a massive hypocrite? I did. Troy's is the only one really that was shocking. he burned down a whole forest. Actually, he should probably be in jail right now.

Deleted
    That Abed line almost saved the episode. Almost.

But yeah, I watched it. The songs were terrible. Like, really bad. And for super secret dark secrets, most of them weren't so Mother of All Secret things. Oh boy, Annie sucked up to a teacher. Jeff let "the one" get away (is anybody surprised at that?). Britta doesn't vote. Who knew she was a massive hypocrite? I did. Troy's is the only one really that was shocking. he burned down a whole forest. Actually, he should probably be in jail right now.
    All that being said, the setup of this episode reaaaaally didn't get to me. As any of season 4. I don't know what Harmon did, but it's missing. They seem to have gotten worse at acting, the stories are weird (and I say that in the light of the cool-weird stories from season 2 and 3), and that whole trying to get personal thing just is so preachy.
    Last edited by mmocdd8e41448a; 2013-04-16 at 07:35 AM.

Deleted
    Awman came here wanting to see other proples opinions on what in my eyes is the best/funniest show since the early seasons of Scrubs (season 1 of Community is actually on par with Scrubs) not realising I STILL haven't seen the new episode! Bigass mistake!

EDIT: Ok, watched it and since I knew it was a gimmick episode I went in with an open mind... and well... I reeheeheeeaaaally don't like singing in TV-shows. I hate it and it totally ruined this episode for me, I can't see the appeal at all! (hope you caught that)...

I'm guessing things are just too weird now and that's what throwing me off but just like most other fans, I can't explain if that's what's wrong with this season.

Btw, I really loved that Troy mentioned Duncan being gone for 1 & 1/2 seasons without any explaination!
    Last edited by mmoc2c18626f4d; 2013-04-15 at 08:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, the new episode proved to me that Abed is the only thing funny in the show anymore. The other characters seem like they're just doing some meta-like thing where they're poking fun at their own flanderizations. And it's not funny. Abed still is. Oh well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Has anyone else noticed everyone (Annie and Britta in particular) severely over-acting recently. It feels like im watching a highschool play and i dont really understand why theyre suddenly doing it. Its almost like theyre trying to make up for the fact that somethings missing by over-acting everything.

Deleted
    So, the new episode proved to me that Abed is the only thing funny in the show anymore. The other characters seem like they're just doing some meta-like thing where they're poking fun at their own flanderizations. And it's not funny. Abed still is. Oh well.
    Very true, even if even he is somehow overacting. He's still Abed, the rest seems like bad impersonators of temselves. Including the story. Remember in s3 I think when Abed says about something it was "almost too conceptual to follow"? It was awesome. Now it's just "Hey let's write the episode with this theme and be all very sincere about how funny and conceptual this show is". And it's just flat.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    Has anyone else noticed everyone (Annie and Britta in particular) severely over-acting recently. It feels like im watching a highschool play and i dont really understand why theyre suddenly doing it. Its almost like theyre trying to make up for the fact that somethings missing by over-acting everything.
    I was thinking that after s4e1 already. Your words are absolutely right, suddenly one feels like in a high-school play.
    Everybody seems to have gotten worse at acting, somehow. Maybe the micromanagement, or the directing? And definitely the lines. Every single joke feels like beating a dead horse.