Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Worried with the lack of content, and Rift's future.

I am really sick of all the bad news that has come out of trion lately. First we lost a large number of the team to layoffs, then we loose, Hartsman, then Hanlin, then one or two more that I can't even remember anymore and now Amary. After Storm Legion hit, nothing but bad news has come out of Rift.

Dendrome, EE, and the Chronice were all intended for SL launch, so I consider those part of SL content. 2.2 brought almost nothing (2 zone events.. yay?). And 2.3 is most likely 6+ weeks out because it hasn't even begun testing on PTS (If I recall correctly, EI was on PTS for 6 weeks).

So we are almost 6 months away from SL launch, and practically no content since then. I have been a huge, huge fan of Rift, and have played just about non stop since the very first beta all the way back in 2010. Now this really hurts to say, but I have been really disappointed with Trion lately. 6 Months without content is just unacceptable. I really hope this isn't a pattern, and 2.3 and Dendrome are amazing, but if this continues, im not sure I will be able to justify a Sub anymore.

Anyone else feel the same way? I really miss the days when we used to get content updates every 6 weeks, but with the layoffs lately, it looks like they may not be able to deliver content that fast ever again

Thoughts? Opinions? Flamers (Hopefully not)?

Thanks =(
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    I am really sick of all the bad news that has come out of trion lately. First we lost a large number of the team to layoffs, then we loose, Hartsman, then Hanlin, then one or two more that I can't even remember anymore and now Amary. After Storm Legion hit, nothing but bad news has come out of Rift.

Dendrome, EE, and the Chronice were all intended for SL launch, so I consider those part of SL content. 2.2 brought almost nothing (2 zone events.. yay?). And 2.3 is most likely 6+ weeks out because it hasn't even begun testing on PTS (If I recall correctly, EI was on PTS for 6 weeks).

So we are almost 6 months away from SL launch, and practically no content since then. I have been a huge, huge fan of Rift, and have played just about non stop since the very first beta all the way back in 2010. Now this really hurts to say, but I have been really disappointed with Trion lately. 6 Months without content is just unacceptable. I really hope this isn't a pattern, and 2.3 and Dendrome are amazing, but if this continues, im not sure I will be able to justify a Sub anymore.

Anyone else feel the same way? I really miss the days when we used to get content updates every 6 weeks, but with the layoffs lately, it looks like they may not be able to deliver content that fast ever again

Thoughts? Opinions? Flamers (Hopefully not)?

Thanks =(

Well there has been some content I guess since launch but yeah its been kinda light. Mostly it feels they are trying to catch up to what we were supposed to have at SL launch. 2.3 at least is looking like it will be absolutely amazing. I hope so at least. Though it really feels we should have gotten some of that content already. But yeah I think with all the layoffs they just can't keep up with the same update schedule they did last year for instance. Not to mention I am not sure how true this is but I heard that for a lot of the content patches that we got after Rifts launch that a lot of them were already done or mostly done before launch. So if that is true that probably helped with things a lot. They might not have had all that to work with now and between that and a much smaller team they are stretched too thin I do hope that sometime before or shortly after the upcoming live stream about dendrome we get it on pts. I am glad at least they are going to be talking about it soon.

They launched hardmodes which I feel is band-aid content on my server, Icewatch busiest EU maybe 2 guilds try them and if we multiply that by all servers less than 400 people doing them off a guess, would rather they brought new 10man at that time which would of interested thousands, so making us ideally only have to wait another 3 months for next 20man, but at this rate gonna be long long time for 20man raid, which makes me sad

Have not been playing as long as you, only since right around 1.7, but my sub is cancelled. Between the grind being about twice what would be comfortable for rep and then having to run CQ on top of that, it was just too much. If there were other content, that was not stale, that could get me rep, I'd be ok with it all. I am still kinda holding out before I call it quits for good and may still come back. Personally, I think Trion is spread really thin right now on a lot of projects and once things settle down a bit for them, maybe the Rift team will be able to pick up the ball and score again. Unfortunately, if that does not happen soon, it may well be the beginning of the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Have not been playing as long as you, only since right around 1.7, but my sub is cancelled. Between the grind being about twice what would be comfortable for rep and then having to run CQ on top of that, it was just too much. If there were other content, that was not stale, that could get me rep, I'd be ok with it all. I am still kinda holding out before I call it quits for good and may still come back. Personally, I think Trion is spread really thin right now on a lot of projects and once things settle down a bit for them, maybe the Rift team will be able to pick up the ball and score again. Unfortunately, if that does not happen soon, it may well be the beginning of the end.
    I would at least not make that decision to quit totally until 2.3. That is my current plan. If 2.3 is another flop well that's it I am gone. I really have a lot of hopes for this patch. They really need to deliver on this one more then ever. I do worry though that even if 2.3 does end up being amazing what about future patches? I don't expect amazing every patch or even every patch to be a major content patch. But if its another several months of bleh after 2.3 comes out well that would suck. Of course I am hoping that 2.3 provides at least a few solid months of content for a casual player like me.
    Last edited by Calliso; 2013-04-17 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliso View Post
    I would at least not make that decision to quit totally until 2.3.
    That's my plan. Granted I'm subbed till January of next year, but I haven't played in months at this point. I'm hoping 2.3 is a return to form for Trion, because there's definitely been a big hiccup post SL launch. SL was pretty good overall, but subsequent patches haven't been what I've come to expect from Trion and why I've been such a vocal supporter of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    blizzard and trion seemed to have switched positions :S blizzard is now releasing more content than ever and its the opposite for rift >.<

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    That's my plan. Granted I'm subbed till January of next year, but I haven't played in months at this point. I'm hoping 2.3 is a return to form for Trion, because there's definitely been a big hiccup post SL launch. SL was pretty good overall, but subsequent patches haven't been what I've come to expect from Trion and why I've been such a vocal supporter of them.
    Yep SL was really good at launch but things seem to have just gone mostly downhill from there. Though to be fair I might be looking at things in too negative of a light. But it feels that way!

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    SL was pretty good overall, but subsequent patches haven't been what I've come to expect from Trion and why I've been such a vocal supporter of them.
    Speak of Trion... There's movement on the End of Nations front. They are inviting people in the San Diego to their studio for "unknown reasons".
    It's possible that Trion is just having difficulty juggling so many games. Warface, end of nations, rift, defiance... /shrug.
    Either way, I hope they take lathias's idea for a "classic raid" mode that down levels you to 50 and balances your gear to the raid (t1 puts you to t1 stats ect) and gives up to date rewards so all their content becomes relevant to end game (but not the end game itself)
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Some re-assuring words from the PR department would be nice, some "game plan", but what we get - sweet nothing... useless.

Oh, yeah, we got some crap "improv" stuff on twitch.tv with some annoying voice actor who kept screaming "mead" for like two minutes at the beginning of the session. I just switched off for a few minutes as he got on my tits. Amateur. Whole damn company has gone from one of the best mmo's to one I don't even feel like playing any more.

Yes, nerd rage here... really disappointed with Trion.

EDIT: Going to stop posting / commenting on Rift. Filled with too much negativity towards Trion at this point. My opinion is they are just milking it (till death) at the moment as is evident by the ridiculous grind of every damn thing in the game.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-04-17 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Some re-assuring words from the PR department would be nice, some "game plan", but what we get - sweet nothing... useless.

Oh, yeah, we got some crap "improv" stuff on twitch.tv with some annoying voice actor who kept screaming "mead" for like two minutes at the beginning of the session. I just switched off for a few minutes as he got on my tits. Amateur. Whole damn company has gone from one of the best mmo's to one I don't even feel like playing any more.

Yes, nerd rage here... really disappointed with Trion.
    Yeah that screaming really annoys me too. And the live streams are cool and all I guess nice that they do them. But we do really need to hear something more. Like you said some kind of game plan. I am really hoping this coming live stream on dendrome for instance gives some real info about the zone and the next patch. Heck at this point I would be thrilled if Daglar posted something like guys we are spread super thin here we can't churn out content like we used to but do not worry we have not abandoned Rift and here are some plans we have for the next year.. Something talk about the game and future content more! Get people excited again keep the new people we continue to get paying their subscription! Because I do still see quite a few new people joining the game we just need to actually keep them.. But for the most part mostly silence.

I really hope Elrar or someone from Trion is reading all this and passing it on. What really stands out to me here is pretty much all of the people frustrating and complaining here are the people in the past who almost always praised Rift and were very positive about the game. Now look at what they have to say. This says a lot imo.
    Last edited by Calliso; 2013-04-17 at 11:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what happens when you release an expansion. Compare it to vanilla wow. In vanilla content for the time was flying left and right. In chocolate rift content was flying left and right. When an expansion happens they dont have stockpiled content from years of working on the game to polish and release quickly. Rift fans always mocked blizzard for releasing content so slow, and now they know why. Not making this a wow vs rift post, so dont turn it into one. Rift is a good game, and as much as it sucks, get used to a slower patch cycle.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    I was one of those people who didnt buy SL just due to all the negative things i had heard about it. I really enjoyed the original game, but one thing i dont enjoy and practically refuse to do is grinds. I dont like grinding for xp, and i dont like grinding for rep. I loved how if i wanted to i could casually get do 1-50 in a week with xp pots. And i could do it nearly any way i wanted without resorting to doing quests.

Theres a couple of ways i could be interested in playing again

1) remove these grinds, and add something for non raiders to do for pve. (that was a problem in classic too)

2) go free to play, sorry guys but its time. It was a good try to be a subscription game but its becoming more apparent that you are losing your dedicated fan base and the only way to attact another is to open the game up so everyone can give it a shot for free.
    Last edited by Fishyface; 2013-04-17 at 11:41 PM.
    Torchlight II Vanilla Player
    Looking for a vanilla only group?

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40739

I stopped playing about half way through 2.1 with 2.2 announced and knowing what was coming in that update. I had been one of the first to get through the leveling grind, started working to play with a hardcore raiding guild on Laethys and then started to look and see what the game was offering me.

Someone earlier talked about how WoW has turned things around and a few months I said as much on this forum, that people who were decrying that Rift was what WoW should be weren't looking at what was really happening - that since MoP Blizzard had turned things around and that Rift was going the other direction.

It's a pity, but they lost my subscription - what, mid January and since then I've had no inclination to go back. Will wait and see what new content patches bring but unless they interest me ... its just going to sit on my hard drive gathering dust.

(Not that I'm playing WoW currently either, but it really has fixed its no updating problem.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Trion Worlds releases Rift: Storm Legion, first Expansion from an unknown Company, unknown IP, 2 vast Continents and content still relevant after 6 months

Other "well known" MMO with World famous Companies and IP 90% of the World recognises releases Expansion : done and dusted in less than 5 hours...problem Officer?

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Trion Worlds releases Rift: Storm Legion, first Expansion from an unknown Company, unknown IP, 2 vast Continents and content still relevant after 6 months

Other "well known" MMO with World famous Companies and IP 90% of the World recognises releases Expansion : done and dusted in less than 5 hours...problem Officer?
    1. They were pretty well known by then. 2. Apparently its not
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    This is kind of worrisome news. I've cancelled my sub for some time now, primarily because I hit level 58 and ran out of quests. And I just did not feel like grinding for two more levels. I hate grinding. I wish they would do something about that. I think Rift is an interesting game, but I am just not willing to grind in that game. It's too annoying.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I hit level 58 and ran out of quests. And I just did not feel like grinding for two more levels. I hate grinding
    Clearly you're doing something wrong, there is no way you can run out of quests by level 58. I ran my second alt through SL just 2 weeks ago, didn't do the "run around tagging GHR's" didn't do many Dungeons, no Warfronts, just did the quests and Carnages, dinged 60 on that alt just as i was starting the Tower of Dawn chain in Kingsward.

That still left the rest of Kingsward, Ashora and Steppes of Infinity to do at level 60. Now i'm running my third alt through SL content and am currently halfway through Seratos at level 55.

You did jump back and forth between Continents, right? best leveling path is Pelladane/Cape Jule--City Core--Eastern Holdings--Seratos--Ardent Domain--Morban--Kingsward--Ashora/Steppes

Again, that's without doing any GHR's, Dungeons or Warfronts, plenty of content to reach level 60 and not 58.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    We all know what you mean and while I have a million gripes with the game (far more than with Rift), this is blatantly false. Not only do we not need to bring up and "go after" other games in this forum, but we don't need to be dishonest about them either, because that's what you're being.

Storm Legion is an impressive expansion and a fine addition to a game that's been a model for how all subscription based games should be run since it was launched. The issue is the post-launch support, which has fallen far from what Trion have delivered in the past. Rift is still a good game, but we're just in a period now that we've never experience before, a prolonged period where we don't have new content to run. I'm hoping (and pretty confident) that 2.3 will be pretty great, but it's just troubling for many of us (like myself) who have been such vocal supporters of Trion to see what's been going on with them recently between Rift and now Defiance.

I'm by no means gloom and doom and still happily recommend Rift to friends looking for a new MMO. I'm just hoping that Trion gets back in the saddle and things continue as they have in the past.

Also, it's 6 months later. I'm sorry, but content stops being "relevant" after 6 months.

Deleted
    There is no doubt that RIFT have taken a lot of resources out of development, an american friend of mine said she got to speak to one of the head honchos at Trion and said they are pretty much throwing everything they have now into making Defiance a success.

Personally I think RIFT is in a bit of a slump now, I have not logged ever since Defiance was released, which admittedly I'm having quite a fun time playing at the moment. I reckon once Defiance starts turning a decent profit, RIFT will have a huge outburst of content 2.3 and get back on track. That is what I would like to see in an ideal world, but I suppose we will have to wait and see.