Mistweaver or Resto Shaman

My raid group will be starting again in a couple weeks. I'm going to be one of the healers. We already have 2 healers lined up. Priest and Druid. I can't decide if I want to use my Shaman or my Monk. I'm leaning to the shaman cause I won't be fighting with the druid for gear.

But anyways, I haven't done 10man healing for Mists on either char, so which would be better overall?
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Deleted
    Shaman due to the gear thing (since its a 10m).

shaman is the worst healer in 10 m. But if u dont have a mail int user, i would still go shaman.

But best would be to level a pala :<

Not fighting for gear always help - what spec is the priest? You may want to see if the interaction between mistweaver + discipline or whatever the combination works better.

Shamans with a focus on mastery really help on progression - heavy AoE phases are pretty common in ToT and Deep Healing combined with Healing Rain + Chain Heal is kind of a life saver for my raid group.
    "Too late, and to their sorrow, do those who misplace their trust in gods learn their fate" - Judge Bergan

The notion that nature can be calculated inevitably leads to the conclusion that humans too can be reduced to basic mechanical parts

Quote Originally Posted by mellowconundrum View Post
    Shamans with a focus on mastery really help on progression - heavy AoE phases are pretty common in ToT and Deep Healing combined with Healing Rain + Chain Heal is kind of a life saver for my raid group.
    The first problem is, Mastery is kinda meh because of all that absorb of priests/palas. Thats why most of shamas do not bother to get mastery (its hard not to have 50% mastery bonus).
    Second, and thats the bigger problem, there arent many heavy hitting aoe phases in ToT where you can stack and make effective use of healing rain. The only real boss, where resto schaman is really good, is megaera. Most of the time the random/little aoe dmg is either absorbed or the raid is spread (even a loose spread is to far apart for healing rain. And healing rain is the make or break spell for shaman, without him they are just plain bad)

Especially in 10m. In 25 its not too difficult to find atleast 5 people for healing rain, but in 10m, it is.
    Last edited by Genju; 2013-04-19 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Genju View Post
    The first problem is, Mastery is kinda meh because of all that absorb of priests/palas. Thats why most of shamas do not bother to get mastery (its hard not to have 50% mastery bonus).
    Second, and thats the bigger problem, there arent many heavy hitting aoe phases in ToT where you can stack and make effective use of healing rain. The only real boss, where resto schaman is really good, is magaera. Most of the time the random/little aoe dmg is either absorbed or the raid is spread (even a loose spread is to far apart for healing rain. And healing rain is the make or break spell for shaman, without him they are just plain bad)

Especially in 10m. In 25 its not too difficult to find atleast 5 people for healing rain, but in 10m, it is.
    I'm really thinking that you have never played a resto shaman or are just starting to. There is way more to shaman than just Healing Rain and Chain Heal. I have never felt "lacking" in healing 10 man raids. Those that think they are need more practice.

They also need this:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...n-Guide-to-MoP

This is just one from this site. There are many more guides out there. Cross reference. Double check. Just please, people, learn about the class before making assumptions about how they work.

Deleted
    Second, and thats the bigger problem, there arent many heavy hitting aoe phases in ToT where you can stack and make effective use of healing rain. The only real boss, where resto schaman is really good, is megaera. Most of the time the random/little aoe dmg is either absorbed or the raid is spread (even a loose spread is to far apart for healing rain. And healing rain is the make or break spell for shaman, without him they are just plain bad)

If Absorbs are so strong that your heals are redundant then you don't need a 3rd healer period. You WILL need the heals on progression, and the beauty of the Shaman mastery is that its there exactly when you need it. It might be negligible when you don't need it, but it doesn't matter since you don't need it. The same goes for big tank heals as well.

But arguments about mastery aside, Shamans bring a unique health increase buff as well as 3 powerful raid CDs and a raid mana CD. Even with a non-mastery build (which are also common) Shamans can do things no other healers can. They're fine, not OP but more than capable of holding their own in this tier.

Horrodon final phase, council during kazrajin empower, tortos wirh a competent raidgroup, megaera, iron qon final phase are all instances where having a shaman is great. Seeing as you have both a druid and a priest, spread out damage can be healed by them quite effectively. You're also gonna provide a manatide and a few raid cds.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    most fights are 2-heal anyway. a good option might be if you would go elemental most of the time because restoration shaman really isn't that good right now. there are buffs incoming in 5.3 but imo they won't affect shaman healing in 10man that much that it'd preferable to bring one compared to other healers. bringing an elemental/resto switcher is a perfect compromise because you won't waste that int mail loot.
    Last edited by mmocc23bbb0a5f; 2013-04-19 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IntellectuallyChallenged View Post
    I'm really thinking that you have never played a resto shaman or are just starting to. There is way more to shaman than just Healing Rain and Chain Heal.
    I have healed every hardmode 16/16 T14 and atm 5/13 T15 hardmodes fyi. And i have no problem healing them, its just that other classes are better at it. And Chainheal pre-hotfix wasnt used very often anyway.

I have never felt "lacking" in healing 10 man raids. Those that think they are need more practice.
    Thats why the universe pretty much agreed on that resto shaman is the worst healer in 10m, shown by the few number of shamans in top raids.
    The mechanics are just very outdated. Spread healing for a shaman is pretty much riptide+choose one of your 3 single target heals.

the best thing about a shaman in 10m is, that he can play Ele/Resto with more or less the same gear, so he can be a flexibel dd/healer. But for your 2 mainhealer, every other class is better.
    Last edited by Genju; 2013-04-19 at 03:18 PM.

A good Shaman can perform in 10M but to be honest, if you really want to help the raid, go with the MW unless you will be the third string healer switching between DPS and Heals.

Also, depending on your DPS comp, you may be able to gear up the Monk Offspec also.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaizze View Post
    A good Shaman can perform in 10M but to be honest, if you really want to help the raid, go with the MW unless you will be the third string healer switching between DPS and Heals.
    That was what i was trying to say.
    A shaman can heal all the encounters, but a good player will always heal more with an another healer class than with a shaman because of his mechanics and the nature of 10m.

Do you guys need the lust?