Thoughts on Ret's Guardian?

I'm not saying it is broken in PvP but it certainly is interesting that it is an untargetable unCCable damage source that can only be nullified by kiting. Wondering what everyone else thinks of it.

Personally always thought it was a bit cheesy. I think the cooldown should be more about the stacking strength buff and less about the melee damage it does. It can melee swing for like 30k, it's pretty crazy considering it is unkillable.

Not that Rets are great in PvP right now though.

True, if they were a lot better in PvP in might need a slight change. I just personally think it should be CCable.

did they actually fix it so it actually attacks your target now instead of chasing hunter pets across the map?

the guardian doesn't hit that hard at all, it's main purpose is for the ret to gain ancient power stacks. the best thing it's ever done for me was keep a rogue in combat during a blind.

i have no idea why anyone would complain about it given what a terrible cooldown it is and how generally lackluster ret is.
    Last edited by kosechi; 2013-04-20 at 12:18 AM.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Deleted
    Yeah, wish my fire elemental would crit that much and be unkillable but alas, totems are here to stay :P

I think, that if a warlock's gateway can be target-able and killable so should a paladin's guardian. It is such a great increase to offensive/defensive abilities that it certainly is a bit powerful in arenas. BUT the up time and usage of it is what makes it more likely to be held onto.

It's not a pet, its a cooldown. Deal with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    It's not a pet, its a cooldown. Deal with it.
    So is Shadowfiend, yet fully susceptible for any cc/damage.

Isn't the guardian on 5 min CD? In that case its justified to not be counterable that easy/hitting hard.

Quote Originally Posted by kosechi View Post
    the guardian doesn't hit that hard at all, it's main purpose is for the ret to gain ancient power stacks. the best thing it's ever done for me was keep a rogue in combat during a blind.

i have no idea why anyone would complain about it given what a terrible cooldown it is and how generally lackluster ret is.
    Given that yes ret is not in a great spot overall and yes it's easily kited, there's no reason to lie about it, ret guardian hits like a motherfucking truck. You want to think of a guardian that doesn't hit that hard, think of treants.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
    Given that yes ret is not in a great spot overall and yes it's easily kited, there's no reason to lie about it, ret guardian hits like a motherfucking truck. You want to think of a guardian that doesn't hit that hard, think of treants.
    so i went and picked apart some logs from this thursday, his average melee hit was 45045.9. thats about how much my crusader strike hits for and less than my judgement hits for. thats with me at around 520 ilevel in pve gear with full raid buffs.

he hits like a wet noodle in pvp gear, barely 30k. if you think a couple of melee hits for 30k every 5 minutes is 'hitting like motherfucking truck' then you are not playing the same game as me. the only reason he exists is for ancient power stacks and maybe foiling unlucky rogue's attempts at re stealths.

whats more, he's a terrible cooldown for ret, he makes ret even more reliant on it's burst cooldowns and his AI is still atrocious.

can't cc the guardian? well shucks, i guess its good that the ret is so easily cc-able.
    Last edited by kosechi; 2013-04-20 at 03:15 AM.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Quote Originally Posted by BcShane13 View Post
    I'm not saying it is broken in PvP but it certainly is interesting that it is an untargetable unCCable damage source that can only be nullified by kiting. Wondering what everyone else thinks of it.
    Geez, quit asking for nerfs for a class that is already dead in the water. For a 5 min CD its pretty horrible and the Paladin often has no control over the guardian.

Like most of said, it isn't a "pet" per se. More of a damage CD.

Quote Originally Posted by kosechi View Post
    so i went and picked apart some logs from this thursday, his average melee hit was 45045.9. thats about how much my crusader strike hits for and less than my judgement hits for. thats with me at around 520 ilevel in pve gear with full raid buffs.

he hits like a wet noodle in pvp gear, barely 30k. if you think a couple of melee hits for 30k every 5 minutes is 'hitting like motherfucking truck' then you are not playing the same game as me. the only reason he exists is for ancient power stacks and maybe foiling unlucky rogue's attempts at re stealths.

whats more, he's a terrible cooldown for ret, he makes ret even more reliant on it's burst cooldowns and his AI is still atrocious.

can't cc the guardian? well shucks, i guess its good that the ret is so easily cc-able.
    Only 30k? thats pretty generous compared to fire ele/treants. what does it crit for? and is the crit chance based off the summoner? I wouldn't mind if it was killable.its pretty devastating to get stunned and trink/cd popped on with one of these thibgs running around, 30k a hit is quite a bit to a 400k or less health pool

Talk about kicking a class when they are down.

10+ Year Old Account
    That CD is horrible. Love the strength gain but I hate how mindless the Guardian is.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

I think... Shadowfiend should work the same way... I also think Shackle Undead should be turned into "Shackle Evil" and updated like Turn Evil was so that it functions against more than just one damn thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Sebsmash View Post
    Only 30k? thats pretty generous compared to fire ele/treants. what does it crit for? and is the crit chance based off the summoner? I wouldn't mind if it was killable.its pretty devastating to get stunned and trink/cd popped on with one of these thibgs running around, 30k a hit is quite a bit to a 400k or less health pool
    30k is nothing when i can hit you with templar's verdict for over 150k.

his stats scale dynamically off the player. rets don't value crit and unless they have the legendary meta they typically only have around 10% crit. those 45k hits i logged are me with a potion, a flask, full 25 man raid buffs, synapse springs, fabled feather stacks and possibly a spark of zandalar proc. that is, under the effects of the kind of cooldown stacking that is not possible in pvp and tunneling my heart out in a pve encounter.

30k is being generous for what he hits for in pvp, and thats if he even lands any hits considering he only moves at 100% and suffers from pet pathing issues. he isn't any harder to get away from then any other pets, and unlike all of them, he isn't under the ret's direct control and often hits the wrong target.
    getting stuck in a stun with a trinket/cds popped should be devastating but the devastating part of the guardian cooldown in that situation is not the guardian but the stacking strength buff he puts on the ret.

he is a terrible cooldown and ret's reliance on him makes them even weaker.
    Last edited by kosechi; 2013-04-21 at 04:21 AM.