[DPS] is it too low?

As said in a earlier post, I started playing mage not long ago & I find my DPS rather low compared to others.

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-0vwl9low6vxypf4e/

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Frah/advanced

If anyone could check my logs & armory it would be fantastic.

also, if someone wouldnt mind, please explain me the concept of Alter Time as frost, how & when should I use it to optimize my dps?
    Last edited by Korie; 2013-04-20 at 02:24 PM.

Deleted
    Hey Cathias,

I'll just take a quick look and hopefully we can find something.

- Gemming seems weird to me, a higher ilvl (and if 1 or 2 RPPM trinkets and/or legendary metagem) 2 Haste > 1 Intel. But at your ilvl I don't think so. You should gem accordingly, I have 13 ilvl more than you and I don't have that much haste. But again, you have LOTC, so its not that high.
    - NT uptime looks great, Evo buff too. So there's little to no work to do there. Good job !
    - Glyphs are okay, you certainly use the 3rd slot as a wild card and changed it depending on the encounter right ?
    - It obvious you are wildly undergeared but you cleared NM already so gear will come, and your dps with ramp up fast.

Your dps seems pretty decent for that ilvl, maybe a little lacking but I can't remember what was my dps @ 500ilvl so.. Maybe the problem is in the rotation.

Couple of questions :

How do you prioritize your FoF/BF procs.
    Whats your Alter Time Rotation, and how and when do you use it.
    Whats your classic opening on a boss ?

You should take a look at Kuni's frost guide its very well written and has tons of great info : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Mage-PVE-Guide

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post

Couple of questions :

How do you prioritize your FoF/BF procs.
    Whats your Alter Time Rotation, and how and when do you use it.
    Whats your classic opening on a boss ?

You should take a look at Kuni's frost guide its very well written and has tons of great info : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Mage-PVE-Guide

Thanks
    BF>FoF
    I currently use alter time when 2 FoF & a BF proc is up or I have 6ish seconds left and 1 FoF & BF proc.
    My boss opener is: cast mirror images on 3 seconds before pull, prepot & precast frostbolt, get 3 stacks of frostbolt asap, pop NT & use frozen orb depending on what fight it is.

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 03:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Hey Cathias,

I'll just take a quick look and hopefully we can find something.

- Gemming seems weird to me, a higher ilvl (and if 1 or 2 RPPM trinkets and/or legendary metagem) 2 Haste > 1 Intel. But at your ilvl I don't think so. You should gem accordingly, I have 13 ilvl more than you and I don't have that much haste. But again, you have LOTC, so its not that high.

- NT uptime looks great, Evo buff too. So there's little to no work to do there. Good job !

- Glyphs are okay, you certainly use the 3rd slot as a wild card and changed it depending on the encounter right ?

- It obvious you are wildly undergeared but you cleared NM already so gear will come, and your dps with ramp up fast.

Thanks

I do hope so, been told my dps was low by guildmates a few times & I'm still only a trial in this guild.

Cheers c:

I do normally using the momentum glyph.

Deleted
    Little precision I just learned a couple weeks ago and didnt thought about until someone told me.

It seems when having 2FoF + 1BF proc as the same time, its better to use 1FoF and then, use BF because the BF proc than make a new FoF proc. I'm testing this atm and it happens often, so you can experience with this a bit too :P.
    But yeah, BF > FoF. I also hold 1 FoF procs when I have no enchant/trinket up and fire them later when something procs. (but thats a very minor dps gain I think)

Generally I think using AT with all enchant/trinket procs (with 6 seconds or more left) but less FoF/BF procs > AT with 2FoF + BF but no all procs or less than 6 seconds.

Your opener seems okay although I cast NT after my pre-casted frosbolt hits the boss. Getting 3 stacks is important but NT is better to my knowledge.

I guess it's just your lack or gear, you still have meh trinkets and a 483 non-sha touched weapon. It seems you are playing your mage perfectly fine.

Deleted
    Armory-Related Issues

• As stated, for your iLvl, you're gemming wrong. Would suggest you grab a copy of SimCraft and consistently Sim your toon to get your weights and reforge/re-gem accordingly.
    • I understand that your weapon is a lower iLvl than you'd like, but Windsong is a sub-optimal enchant. Get Jade Spirit and you'll notice a DPS spike.

Logs-Related Issues

Using your Jin'rokh kill for initial analysis.

• Your Invocation buff uptime is 100%. While normally this is a good thing, I can see from the number of times you're Evocating (given the length of the fight) that you're basically Evocating too much. You should be Evocating pre-pull so you start the fight with the buff and this Evocation should not show as cast on logs; meaning that you cast 6 Evocates in a 5.43 fight (looking at Jin'rokh). Effectively you're wasting time here. You could save ~2.5s of cast time, equivalent to 1.5 Frostbolts or 2 instant-casts. While it's not much, it's something to look into. You shouldn't be Evocating much more than needed.
    • Your Frostbolt debuff uptime is relatively low. It should be as close to 100% as possible to avoid unwanted re-rampup.
    • Despite casting Alter Time twice, you only have 7.9 seconds of the "buff" - why? The only spec that should be cancelling an AT early is Fire, and that's for Ignite/Combustion purposes. Alter Time is used to increase your BUFF durations. Of course, ideally you AT with BF/FoF procs up, but it's more important to get your trinket procs and BL/TW and extend the durations. I also see that you're a troll, so Berserking is included in this.

Now looking at your Horridon kill:

• Your Frostbolt uptime is low - I can see that you're still tunnelling a lot of your damage onto Horridon himself though. If you're going to do this, keep the Frostbolt debuff up on the boss.
    • CD Usage. It's an 8.19 fight, yet you only use Mirrors twice (out of 3 possible uses), Icy Veins, Berserking, AT all once, out of 3 uses. DPS loss.

Overall, there are a few things to pick up on and improve, but considering your iLvl it's far from "poor" DPS.
    I would also suggest you learn to pot and pre-pot, I can't find any record of either on any of your kills.

Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    Despite casting Alter Time twice, you only have 7.9 seconds of the "buff" - why? The only spec that should be cancelling an AT early is Fire, and that's for Ignite/Combustion purposes. Alter Time is used to increase your BUFF durations. Of course, ideally you AT with BF/FoF procs up, but it's more important to get your trinket procs and BL/TW and extend the durations. I also see that you're a troll, so Berserking is included in this.
    Alter time was used early due to a fuckup with Ionization & Following Lightning

Deleted
    >> Missing proffesion !

Dont worry to much about the gemmign haste vs intellect "issue" it isnt as big as people make it out to be, the missing proffesion and the mentioned Jade Spirit vs Windsong as well as better usage of your Alter Time/Icy Veins will have much bigger impact than your gemming choice.

Thing about gemming though, pick a side and stick with it. Either gem intellect as a priority or Haste, do not mix and match that just makes things messy and look funky.
    Brilliant, Reckles, Veiled or Reckless, Quick, Lightning for the Red, Yellow and Blue sockets.

Deleted
    Try to use simcraft and see if you should reforge some more mastery instead og crit. I can see you reforge haste > crit > mastery, but instead maybe you should try haste > mastery > crit. Im not sure about it in you ilvl and with that gear, but at 515 its give you more dps with mastery over crit.

Also use reckless vermillion onyx in every red, yellow socket instead of what you doing atm. when you get a new weapong 522 so you get more spell power, use lightning wild jade instead of veiled imperial amethyst.

You also need to get a proffesion more, so make better dps.

At pull
    6 sec = Evocation
    4 sec = mirror image
    3/2 sec = prepot
    2/1 sec = frostbolt
    Nether tempest

Then stack you frostbolt up to 3 stack use frozen orb and alter of time if you get a bf proc, remember to use FoF before bf in alter of time so you can get a FoF proc more.

Looking at Jin'rokh in wofl you only using mirror image 1 time ? you should use it every time its ready and try to use it when you need to move. Also when timewarp is cast try to use time warp when you got trinkets proc, pot and timewarp, it will give you timewarp, pot and trinket in longer times, and increase you dps.