10+ Year Old Account

Best way to learn Java with autism?

Odd question but I believe my autism is making it hard for me to learn Java. I've been trying for quite three years now, but like everything else it comes to a grinding halt. When I write code that I know I find it fun, but when I try to learn anything new any progress just stops. It's the same at school, sports, anything. I found tutorial videos to work well as I have extreme issues with reading comprehension and amazingly in 17 years of life no one else, including me, has noticed(I know I have it because most people don't have to re-read the same line/paragraph literally 3-4 times to retain shreds of information).

Some facts about me:
    It's not internet autism, I was actually diagnosed with it by a doctor.
    The form of it is Asphergers(Spelling?)
    Currently 17 years old

EDIT: Also have a bandwidth cap so videos are off limits

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Zhaveros; 2013-04-21 at 01:10 AM.

Tutorial videos never held my interest either. What you need to do is just get examples from tutorials on what you want to learn and implement, and start modifying from there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Tutorial videos never held my interest either. What you need to do is just get examples from tutorials on what you want to learn and implement, and start modifying from there.
    Right now I'm getting into threads, collision, graphics, and animation. I've found about 100 different tutorials on these but they are never clear to me.

This question makes no sense to me as every person functions differently. Also it's not Aspergers anymore it's ASD as of DSMV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Also it's not Aspergers anymore it's ASD as of DSMV.
    What? I don't understand that

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaveros View Post
    Right now I'm getting into threads, collision, graphics, and animation. I've found about 100 different tutorials on these but they are never clear to me.
    There are some libraries that actually wrap collision, graphics, and animation and keep the intricacies under the hood. I can't remember any names off the top of my head however.

Threading is a headache.

Android development might interest you. I'm learning that right now (using YouTube and library books). Its fun to make something on your home computer or laptop, and then see your code in action while you're away at work or school on your cell phone (if you have one). By any chance, do you have celiac disease or a sensitivity to gluten or casein (dairy products)? I've heard things (mostly brief reading online and magazines) that many people on the Autistic spectrum benefit greatly from the celiac / casein free diet. I'm not sure about the science behind it, but its something you could look into or ask your doctor about.

Best of luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you know what type of learner you are? The problem might be you are trying to learn through a visual method when you might be an auditory or kinesthetic learner. Try reading it aloud, if that works then you are likely an auditory learner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Do you know what type of learner you are? The problem might be you are trying to learn through a visual method when you might be an auditory or kinesthetic learner. Try reading it aloud, if that works then you are likely an auditory learner.
    I might try this. Does anyone have any tips for reading comprehension though?
    Last edited by Zhaveros; 2013-04-21 at 01:26 AM.

To start off with, very few people enjoy actually learning how to program. I think that should be put out in the front, even people who do program aren't necessarily fond of learning a new language, because well, learning how to re-invent the wheel isn't fun.

As towards how to learn it while dealing with autism, having known and worked with a handful of autistic individuals, I'd strongly suggest take what you know how to do and build little pieces onto it. Technically that's the best way to learn any new language (be it programming or foreign). Never attempt to just tackle entirely new subjects with nothing to work off of. When teaching my younger sister (she's fully autistic, we caught it when she was 3, and we've been working with her since) math and reading, we have to introduce new words and bigger numbers a day at a time. So pick one kind of class structure to work with, and handle calling it into something you've already done, and then make sure that it operates as it should, and then repeat the process slowly adding on bits at a time until you get to a fully separate program.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kendro1200 View Post
    To start off with, very few people enjoy actually learning how to program. I think that should be put out in the front, even people who do program aren't necessarily fond of learning a new language, because well, learning how to re-invent the wheel isn't fun.

As towards how to learn it while dealing with autism, having known and worked with a handful of autistic individuals, I'd strongly suggest take what you know how to do and build little pieces onto it. Technically that's the best way to learn any new language (be it programming or foreign). Never attempt to just tackle entirely new subjects with nothing to work off of. When teaching my younger sister (she's fully autistic, we caught it when she was 3, and we've been working with her since) math and reading, we have to introduce new words and bigger numbers a day at a time. So pick one kind of class structure to work with, and handle calling it into something you've already done, and then make sure that it operates as it should, and then repeat the process slowly adding on bits at a time until you get to a fully separate program.
    Hmm, possibly the best advice I've gotten in a long time.

What? I don't understand that
    Aspergers no longer exist in DSMIV it was Aspergers, as of DSMV Aspergers has now been merged with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder)

10+ Year Old Account
    Also if I could get some advice on something quick. If I import things like javax.swing, does importing it like import javax.swing.*; take up more memory than just importing what I need, like swing.JPanel?

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 06:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Aspergers no longer exist in DSMIV it was Aspergers, as of DSMV Aspergers has now been merged with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
    One of my issues with learning is the use of terms I don't understand, DSMIV being one of them.

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 06:48 PM ----------

Well this thread is dead but I'm pleased to report I'm actually making some progress now.

10+ Year Old Account
    DSM is just an acronym for The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, the letter following it is just a roman numeral so DSMV is just the fifth version of the DSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Also if I could get some advice on something quick. If I import things like javax.swing, does importing it like import javax.swing.*; take up more memory than just importing what I need, like swing.JPanel?
    Any performance difference would be negligible unless you were using a machine from like 1995.

On topic though, have you taken any courses that present a formal introduction to CS? There's some things you learn in a lecture and discussion environment that reading text online can't substitute for.

For everyone who wants to learn programming, I have just come over this page with a lot if IT-eBooks http://it-ebooks.info/book/255/. If you press eBook Download you get the whole book as a PDF for free. I have just started reading the book called Head First Programming which is just about general programming (mostly in python since that is an easy first language) and I really like it. It is so much better than any youtube tutorial, because things are explained really well and there are exercises for you to try along the way. And it's not just a wall of text. It is organized well and actually a bit funny, and it uses many pictures and figures. I highly recommend it!