Poll: do they need it

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    hay guise wut did the demon hunter saize to the mage? MANABURN!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA o-o
    sorry, a priest stole this joke
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

still the main reason they said that was for lore inconsistencies, like if they made a nathrezim expansion and the tothrezim didnt show up, its mostly so if they mess up they can write it off as something from the rpg books
    You've got a rather serious case of confirmation bias.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    You've got a rather serious case of confirmation bias.
    thats what theyve said in interviews. so many things get added to the rpg books that if they had to memorize every little thing it would be a pain in the ass, plus certain things work in rpgs that dont work in video games.

they said that entirely so they if they mess up or if they had put something in the rpg books they dont agree with anymore they can just write it off, however that doesnt mean that when it comes to things like demon hunters and pandaren or anything that we think might be added but doesnt have a huge amount of ingame lore to support itself that it wont come out looking pretty similar to the rpg version.

look at the pandaren lore

had an empire on an island called pandaria and eventually landed on boats on kalimdor where they met the night elves and forged an alliance (this explains why night elves do not have mayan like buildings despite being trolls but an asian theme because they were allies for many years with the pandaren) however once the night elves started to abuse magic and would not heed the pandarens warnings the pandaren turned their backs on them and closed their borders

now lets look at the current lore of pandaren, the only thing they changed was they made pandaria part of kalimdor instead of an island, so literally all of that happened except they walked instead of sailed, they took the rpg lore and just retrofitted it to wow and expanded upon it.
    Last edited by Immitis; 2013-04-22 at 08:53 AM.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

look at the pandaren lore

had an empire on an island called pandaria and eventually landed on boats on kalimdor where they met the night elves and forged an alliance (this explains why night elves do not have mayan like buildings despite being trolls but an asian theme because they were allies for many years with the pandaren) however once the night elves started to abuse magic and would not heed the pandarens warnings the pandaren turned their backs on them and closed their borders

now lets look at the current lore of pandaren, the only thing they changed was they made pandaria part of kalimdor instead of an island, so literally all of that happened except they walked instead of sailed, they took the rpg lore and just retrofitted it to wow and expanded upon it.
    They also got completely cut off from the rest of the world instead of just closing their borders and have an entirely different culture from the RPG books.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    They also got completely cut off from the rest of the world instead of just closing their borders and have an entirely different culture from the RPG books.
    no, what im talking about takes place PRE sundering, there was nothing about them post sundering except that very few pandaren were seen in the world afterwards except for brewmasters looking for ingredients, which is still true we just didnt know they came from a turtle instead of pandaria, also their culture is almost entirely the same so i dont see what you mean by that

---------- Post added 2013-04-22 at 07:04 AM ----------

there were a couple thousand years where pandaren and night elf were allies before they closed their borders, this happened long before the sundering
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

I think it could work if rather than a generic black demon form model the demon from was actually more unique and customized with features of your own character in it.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

15+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't think a Demon Hunter class is possible seeing as ALL of it's abilities have already been shopped out to other classes. It's like...if they made a demon hunter it would be nothing like a Warcraft Demon Hunter, so what's the point?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    No, I don't think a Demon Hunter class is possible seeing as ALL of it's abilities have already been shopped out to other classes. It's like...if they made a demon hunter it would be nothing like a Warcraft Demon Hunter, so what's the point?
    As I see it....none.

While I wouldn't mind a DH class to be introduced, and would still like to see it, the big problem is that it has been thematically linked to the Warlock class for several years. As a result, I can see the DH being either a 4th spec or a Demonologist stance as the more likely route for Blizzard to introduce it. if you envisage the class as a rogue that may be disappointing but it shouldn't be surprising.

EJL

Deleted
    Death Coil (The Warcraft 2 DK version) was shipped out to warlocks as well, but they fixed that when the class came along.

The iconic abilities of a Demon Hunter imo are Metamorphasis and immolation aura. Rogues can keep evasion and mana burn could always come back in some form.

It always struck me as odd they gave Meta to Demo locks given the tree's historically always been about the pet but its certainly not a deal breaker as death coil/mortal coil shows.

because no other class shares its thematic style, evasion doesnt matter at all, lots of classes have a defensive cooldown just like that, mana burn is nolonger ingame so they could get that easily if blizzard wanted them to, immolation aura is just setting himself on fire that can easily be given to him and just rename it. meta is the only one even slightly important and even then its not important at all to the thematic style or what abilities the demon hunter would have since it wouldnt be in meta 90% of the time.

people have to remember that characters in warcraft 3 had FOUR moves, thats all. one class in wow would pretty much have more spells then all the classes in warcraft 3 combined.

all that matters is that demon hunters have a rich lore and history, they could provide interesting plot development, they are wanted by a huge portion of the community, and they have both a unique thematic style and many sources to pull inspiration from for abilities, tier sets, talents, and questlines.

also unlike death knights demons will ALWAYS be a problem so we wont ever run into the issue of "why the hell are these guys staying around" even if we were to destroy the burning legion somehow demons would still always be spawning and always be a major issue.

there is no class currently that shares anything major in common with the demon hunter to warrant them not being added, the closest class in thematic look and style would be rogue and even then there as different as a warrior is to a paladin.

4th specs will never be a thing because it would be a mess, they would either have to do all of them at once or do none at all otherwise there would be endless bitching about how x class didnt get a spec over y class and if they did it all at once balancing would become a nightmare, blizzard typically needs an entire expansion just to get to grips with one class 4th specs ould be like adding 3+ classes, and yes druids would need a 5th spec otherwise you would have an entire class left out of a major addition.

as long as a large portion of the community wants them, and as long as they remain the most wanted thing to be added to wow we will get them eventually.

now whether they call the class a demon hunter or go the brewmasrter route where its basically a demon hunter but expanded who knows, either way as long as blizzard keeps that main thematic style and the story is good i wont complain

Metamorphasis is NOT a demon hunter iconic ability, it has nothing to do with Demon Hunters. Illidan went into metamorphasis only AFTER getting the Skull of Gul'dan from Arthas. He absorbed its dark power and then he grew wings/horns/hooves.

Illidan is the ONLY Demon hunter to become meta because he absorbed the skull of Gul'Dan! Enough about Demon Hunters needing Meta, there is no other example of a demon hunter that has meta except for Illidan and only because of the skull of Gul'dan!

In fact most of the abilities people say are warlock kit are directly due to Illidan absorbing the powers of the Skull of Gul'Dan, and nothing to do with Demon Hunters. First Illidan was a mage who became a Demon Hunter, and then He became unique after absorbing the Skull of Gul'dan. So all this warlock kit is actually due to Illidan being a unique being with demonic power source rather than being a demon hunter.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2013-04-24 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Metamorphasis is NOT a demon hunter iconic ability, it has nothing to do with Demon Hunters. Illidan went into metamorphasis only AFTER getting the Skull of Gul'dan from Arthas. He absorbed its dark power and then he grew wings/horns/hooves.

Illidan is the ONLY Demon hunter to become meta because he absorbed the skull of Gul'Dan! Enough about Demon Hunters needing Meta, there is no other example of a demon hunter that has meta except for Illidan and only because of the skull of Gul'dan!

In fact most of the abilities people say are warlock kit are directly due to Illidan absorbing the powers of the Skull of Gul'Dan, and nothing to do with Demon Hunters. First Illidan was a mage who became a Demon Hunter, and then He became unique after absorbing the Skull of Gul'dan. So all this warlock kit is actually due to Illidan being a unique being with demonic power source rather than being a demon hunter.
    every single demon hunter we fight against in-game has metamorphosis.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    no, 3 of them do, one was thousands of years old, the other two were taught directly by illidan, technically one other does but that one was possesed by a nathrezim

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 12:28 PM ----------

also none of the demon hunters who use meta turn into the model warlocks use, they all turn into nathrezim

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    You will note that every one of those demon hunters were trained specifically by Illidan. As most wow characters they have multiple classes and don't follow the rules that our classes do. There are other demon hunters that don't get metamorphosis. Illidan was also a demon Hunter before he got the skull and he didnt metamorphosis, its not hard baked into the class. Its accomplished through the skull of Gul'dan by applying more demonic magic to the demon hunter.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    because no other class shares its thematic style, evasion doesnt matter at all, lots of classes have a defensive cooldown just like that, mana burn is nolonger ingame so they could get that easily if blizzard wanted them to, immolation aura is just setting himself on fire that can easily be given to him and just rename it. meta is the only one even slightly important and even then its not important at all to the thematic style or what abilities the demon hunter would have since it wouldnt be in meta 90% of the time.
    Sorry. That appears to be pure wishful thinking. Metamorphosis is THE key signature ability of Demon Hunters.
    Every DH in the game has it listed in their ability list. It is the one ability EVERYONE associates with WoW Demon Hunters.

And getting rid of evasion would be a good move...if it didn't go against the class' key role as a tank. If you design a class with tanking abilities and ensure that every time we see that class fight it is in a tanking role, then it seems odd to declare it is a DPS class because that's simply how you see them.

all that matters is that demon hunters have a rich lore and history
    Most of which has been rendered null and void

there is no class currently that shares anything major in common with the demon hunter
    Except Warlocks.

Blizzard has created a strong link between the two classes over the past several years. They share several moves and abilities, have a similar demonic theme, warlocks got an Illidan themed armour....

Blizzard doesn't have to maintain that link but for us regular joes, it is difficult to simply ignore that the link does exist.

to warrant them not being added, the closest class in thematic look and style would be rogue and even then there as different as a warrior is to a paladin.
    Wrong. Rogues do not share a thematic look and style with Demon Hunters. They share a thematic look and style with Demon Hunters....as you think they should exist. That's a major difference. Your personal vision of Demon Hunters and how you personally think Demon Hunters work has no meaning or relevance as to how Blizzard MAY choose to implement the class.

now whether they call the class a demon hunter or go the brewmasrter route where its basically a demon hunter but expanded who knows, either way as long as blizzard keeps that main thematic style and the story is good i wont complain
    Suppose they go the Warlock route? The class to which Blizzard have given many DH moves, a themed armour set and effectively turned into DHs during Beta? That covers the thematic link and a good story can come from anywhere.

You will note that every one of those demon hunters were trained specifically by Illidan. As most wow characters they have multiple classes and don't follow the rules that our classes do. There are other demon hunters that don't get metamorphosis. Illidan was also a demon Hunter before he got the skull and he didnt metamorphosis, its not hard baked into the class. Its accomplished through the skull of Gul'dan by applying more demonic magic to the demon hunter.
    If it requires the Skull of Gul'dan to be eaten, then how did the other DHs get the skill? How did Warlocks?

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2013-04-24 at 09:59 PM.

Deleted

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=21178/varedis

No Demon Hunters who can use Metamorphosis aside from Illidan? Bullshit, there's at least three of them at the Black Temple. Go there yourself and fight them, around 40 % health they enter the Demon form.

Besides, wasn't Illidan the very first Demon Hunter, who passed on all his knowledge to other students? Why exactly wouldn't they also learn Metamorphosis?

---------- Post added 2013-04-25 at 12:05 AM ----------

They already use Demonic Magic so it wouldn't be strange at all for other Demon Hunters to learn it as well. Granted it's not a must have ability, but Blizzard can definitely work with having two classes with some form of Demon form ability, for as long as they work differently.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2013-04-24 at 10:06 PM.

no, 3 of them do, one was thousands of years old, the other two were taught directly by illidan, technically one other does but that one was possesed by a nathrezim

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 12:28 PM ----------

also none of the demon hunters who use meta turn into the model warlocks use, they all turn into nathrezim
    Warlocks turn into a unique model because they're the players.
    All demon hunters have the metamorphois ability. It is part of what makes them a demonhunter. To do battle with darkness, a demonhunter must kill a demon and absorb it's essence into itself. This process grants the hunter an immunity to corruption, various powers, and if they so feel inclined can take on the form and physical powers of the demon they absorbed; the fact that they all turn into "nathrezim" is a limitation of the game as blizzard didn't want to give all demon Hunter NPC's unique demonform models when in reality only 2 Demonhunters that aren't Illidan are important at all and both of them are one shot bosses.

Also other demonhunters metamorphed before Illidan and Illidan doesn't truely metamorph.
    -The three demonhunters on the ata'mal terrace in shadowmoon valley are 3 master demon hunter night elves who have been around for centuries that Illidan convinced to come to Outland with him after his transformation. These Night Elves became demonhunters after Illidan. They sought to do as he did and fight fire with fire. Since they couldn't get their powers in the same way Illidan did via Sargeras; they would take demons into themselves and use other means to gain demonic power.

- Illidan grabbed the skull of Gul'dan and became half demon. He is not containing the essence of a demon within him, he IS a demon and can transform his body as such; which is what he does during the boss fight with him.
    Last edited by Akairos; 2013-04-24 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=21178/varedis

No Demon Hunters who can use Metamorphosis aside from Illidan? Bullshit, there's at least three of them at the Black Temple. Go there yourself and fight them, around 40 % health they enter the Demon form.

Besides, wasn't Illidan the very first Demon Hunter, who passed on all his knowledge to other students? Why exactly wouldn't they also learn Metamorphosis?

---------- Post added 2013-04-25 at 12:05 AM ----------

They already use Demonic Magic so it wouldn't be strange at all for other Demon Hunters to learn it as well. Granted it's not a must have ability, but Blizzard can definitely work with having two classes with some form of Demon form ability, for as long as they work differently.
    no, illidan didnt teach any demon hunters except for a handful on outland. he was in a hole in the ground for 10,000 years it wouldve been physically impossible for him to teach even 1% of demon hunters

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 06:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Akairos View Post
    Warlocks turn into a unique model because they're the players.
    All demon hunters have the metamorphois ability. It is part of what makes them a demonhunter. To do battle with darkness, a demonhunter must kill a demon and absorb it's essence into itself. This process grants the hunter an immunity to corruption, various powers, and if they so feel inclined can take on the form and physical powers of the demon they absorbed; the fact that they all turn into "nathrezim" is a limitation of the game as blizzard didn't want to give all demon Hunter NPC's unique demonform models when in reality only 2 Demonhunters that aren't Illidan are important at all and both of them are one shot bosses.

Also other demonhunters metamorphed before Illidan and Illidan doesn't truely metamorph.
    -The three demonhunters on the ata'mal terrace in shadowmoon valley are 3 master demon hunter night elves who have been around for centuries that Illidan convinced to come to Outland with him after his transformation. These Night Elves became demonhunters after Illidan. They sought to do as he did and fight fire with fire. Since they couldn't get their powers in the same way Illidan did via Sargeras; they would take demons into themselves and use other means to gain demonic power.

- Illidan grabbed the skull of Gul'dan and became half demon. He is not containing the essence of a demon within him, he IS a demon and can transform his body as such; which is what he does during the boss fight with him.
    theres only 1 demon hunter ingame who uses meta who wasnt taught by illidan, and also most demon hunters dont actually take demons into themselves, they put demons into a blade to perform the blinding ritual and turn their essence into fel flames so they can see with spectral light.

the tattoos/engravings nd their glaives arent typically empowered by demons themselves, and most demon hunters dont go around drinking power all the time like illidan and his followers because they dont want to BECOME demons they want to fight demons, they just believe that walking the tightrope that is empowering their bodies and swords with demonic and chaos magic is the best way to do so

also i fail to see what you mean by "we turn into a purple thing because we are the players"

why would blizzard not have them use the purple one and instead give them a unique one?
    Last edited by Immitis; 2013-04-24 at 10:29 PM.

A demon hunter without metamorphosis would be a joke of a class, and not even worth thinking about. Don't even implement it, and save the work on another class.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    A demon hunter without metamorphosis would be a joke of a class, and not even worth thinking about. Don't even implement it, and save the work on another class.
    how? metamorphosis would be the equivalent of army of the dead or summon gargoyle for death knights.

are you saying if they removed those spells you wouldnt play a death knight?

i honestly wonder what the hell goes through some peoples minds. do you look at a demon hunter and just see purple all the time?