Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Also, there already is a Goddess in WoW, she's called Elune. She didn't create everything though.
    And then there's http://www.wowwiki.com/God...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    From Wowpedia:
    "Magic corrupts the soul; if the humblest person in Azeroth became a practitioner of the arcane, by the time the practitioner reached the higher levels in their art, all traces of her humble roots would be lost. Magic breeds pride and arrogance. Magic corrupts the body; it ages the caster before their time and hastens the blight that the world inflicts on things fair and beautiful. Those who claim that only Necromancy and Fel Magic have a corrupting influence are fooling themselves."

Read the wiki. We have no other source except the things blizz tells us. That magic corrupts you can see everyday in azeroth. Blood Elves and Kael'Thas are a prime example. "But they used fel magic" No. They used arcane magic. So much arcan magic, that they want more and more until that point arcane magic does not suffice anymore. Then they turned to the next greater source of magic, demons. And the corrution cuntinues. Up to the point they want to call the Lords of the Burning legion to satisfy their addiction, because their is nothing more left (Kael'Thas calling Kil'Jaeden).
    "Arcane magic" is everything which draws power from the nether, arcan magic = fel magic, elemental magic, etc. Warlocks and Mages use the same power and are jsut in different states of corruption. Mages are often arrogant, which is a state of corruption, for example, every mage which uses to much magic should become a warlock sooner or later.
    Shamanism is different, because they get their powers from the elements. They ask elemental spirit for help and the spirits help them, or not. Druids do a similar thing, they ask the nature for help. And light magic is completly different and does not corrupt like arcane magic. But not everybody can use light magic (read the wiki). Yes, the wiki is not "canon" in every aspect, but since blizz does not tell us more or clarifies anything this is the only source we have. Use it.

And I don't understand the first part of your answer. What do you mean?

Deleted
    If magic corrupts, why would they have made the Well of Eternity?

So one of the logical conclusions is that they didn't know how to use magic like we do, and the Well of Eternity was just some random random material they didn't know what to do with, radioactive waste from the creation process or something.
    They knew. They gave the Aspects their powers to guard over their domains remember, and let it be that there was an Aspect of Magic.
    Last edited by mmoc51949ba2e4; 2013-04-22 at 11:38 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shengar View Post
    They knew. They gave the Aspects their powersto guard over their domains remember, and let it be that there was an Aspect of Magic.
    And the doomguards were their "hounds" to police the use of arcane magic before becoming demons

Quote Originally Posted by Dezarus View Post
    From Wowpedia:
    "Magic corrupts the soul; if the humblest person in Azeroth became a practitioner of the arcane, by the time the practitioner reached the higher levels in their art, all traces of her humble roots would be lost. Magic breeds pride and arrogance. Magic corrupts the body; it ages the caster before their time and hastens the blight that the world inflicts on things fair and beautiful. Those who claim that only Necromancy and Fel Magic have a corrupting influence are fooling themselves."
    that's non-canon RPG book stuff though.

in-game, all we know is that magic is addictive and makes you arrogant.

it took the magic irradiation from a whole mana bomb made of the focusing iris to "corrupt" jaina enough for her to turn into a grumpy woman. that was so much arcane going inside her that it changed her appearance, her hair, her eyes and her skin. how many humans have you ever seen whose appearance was changed by arcane? only one, jaina. still, how corrupted and evil does she appear to be? at most, she's now reckless and vengeful. it seems that the shock of being blown up, irradiated and altered changed her more than the arcane itself did.

arcane magic doesn't appear to be really corruptive by itself. from my point of view, it appears that what corrupts spell casters is not the arcane itself, but the act of weaving time and space and altering nature itself with the arcane by casting spells. that act leads you to an "I am a GOD!" feeling that leads to arrogance. and of course, once you feel like a god you'll want to feel like that again, so it causes psychological addiction.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    Read the wiki. We have no other source except the things blizz tells us. That magic corrupts you can see everyday in azeroth. Blood Elves and Kael'Thas are a prime example. "But they used fel magic" No. They used arcane magic. So much arcan magic, that they want more and more until that point arcane magic does not suffice anymore. Then they turned to the next greater source of magic, demons. And the corrution cuntinues. Up to the point they want to call the Lords of the Burning legion to satisfy their addiction, because their is nothing more left (Kael'Thas calling Kil'Jaeden).
    "Arcane magic" is everything which draws power from the nether, arcan magic = fel magic, elemental magic, etc. Warlocks and Mages use the same power and are jsut in different states of corruption. Mages are often arrogant, which is a state of corruption, for example, every mage which uses to much magic should become a warlock sooner or later.
    Shamanism is different, because they get their powers from the elements. They ask elemental spirit for help and the spirits help them, or not. Druids do a similar thing, they ask the nature for help. And light magic is completly different and does not corrupt like arcane magic. But not everybody can use light magic (read the wiki). Yes, the wiki is not "canon" in every aspect, but since blizz does not tell us more or clarifies anything this is the only source we have. Use it.

For the first part of my answer I mean, when the Titans came to Azeroth, the denizens were quite primitive. How could they know the difference between magic and technology? I mean, look at the engines of creations the titans built, those aren't magic... yet the races of Azeroth see their creation as magic. What if the titans aren't magic either, but rather technological to the point of where you can't tell the difference? What if rune magic isn't actually magic, but a form of technology?

Also, arcane magic does corrupt after all? So the night elves were right originally in banishing it?

One thing I still don't understand, the titans thought arcane magic was bad... but why didn't they use the other types? And why did they leave Malygos with arcane powers knowing arcane corrupts?

Quote Originally Posted by Shengar View Post
    They knew. They gave the Aspects their powers to guard over their domains remember, and let it be that there was an Aspect of Magic.
    And the Aspect of Magic used arcane magic, that corrupts? This doesn't seem a very logical choice to me.

And the doomguards were their "hounds" to police the use of arcane magic before becoming demons
    And we all know how that turned out...

Though to be honest I don't see a difference between the order titans and the legion titan. I mean, on one hand, the order titans send the celestial surfer (forgat his name, the Ulduar guy) to destroy worlds if they don't go according to plan (I remember him stating he destroyed so many he can't even remember or something) and on the other the legion destroys all who don't join them... so... both would destroy us? So they're both evil for Azeroth.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I still don't understand, the titans thought arcane magic was bad... but why didn't they use the other types?
    The titans use runic magic the only arcane that doesn't corrupt

---------- Post added 2013-04-22 at 07:02 AM ----------

"The traditions of the runemasters date back to the ancient time of the titans, creators of runic magic. Their creation, the dwarves, quickly mastered the mysteries of the runes taught to them. However, as generations passed, the dwarves forgot their heritage and lost all knowledge of runes and their hereditary powers."

Deleted
    The titans use runic magic the only arcane that doesn't corrupt

---------- Post added 2013-04-22 at 07:02 AM ----------

"The traditions of the runemasters date back to the ancient time of the titans, creators of runic magic. Their creation, the dwarves, quickly mastered the mysteries of the runes taught to them. However, as generations passed, the dwarves forgot their heritage and lost all knowledge of runes and their hereditary powers."
    I meant light, druidic or shamanic magic, runic, as you said, runic is still arcane but arcane that doesn't corrupt. But still arcane. The others aren't arcane.

Because not everybody could use every form of magic. A paladin is never able to use arcane magic. A mage will never be able to use light magic. Plus arcane is fairly unlimited and the corruption is the "only" weakness (ok, too much arcane energy rips the world apart, but who cares?).
    When an elemental spirit doesn't want to help the shaman, the shaman is fucked. When a paladin shows no the amount of faith and devotion that is required the light won't do anything. And when there is no life a druid can't cast any spells. In the War of the Ancients trillogy Malfurion uses druidic magic to heal somebody a the price that the forest around him dies.
    A mage/warlock can cast spells until he dies if he wanted to, there is nearly no limit if you are a great mage/warlock. A non-corrupting way to use arcane magic via runic magic is the greatest and most accessible powersource you could have.

Please note, that this is from the Warcraft RPG, as Blizz has clearly no idea how this is in WoW supposed to work *g*
    Last edited by Hubbl3; 2013-04-22 at 03:02 PM.

If I took an electric cable and held it in my hand (from the safe part and shot electricity and went back to stone age, would they think I can use magic? Again, if he could use magic, why did they have to build all those machines the size of zones. Just look in Storm Peaks, all the engines inside mountains.

ummm

Aman’Thul prefers to keep his distance and pound his foes with magic, casting up to three spells at once (one normal, one quickened, and one hastened). He takes to the air if it seems helpful, hovering above the conflict and raining magical destruction upon his enemies.

Sure sound like he uses Magic to me. The Pantheon are all absurdly powerful magic users. They gave a small portion of it to the Dragon Aspects. Unless is am missing something you are talking about they have always been magic users.

MMO-Champion gets philosophical, y0.

To be honest, part of me feels like the Titans are sort of..in trouble.

I say that because -SPOILERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSS-

k.

Anywho.

Spoilers wise, Wrathion gets possessed by..something..that says "We must complete the final titan". The words spoken seem to have a large sense of urgency within it, along with panic. It's either taken as a flashback, or something is going incredibly wrong somewhere in our universe with the Titans.

Who knows. We'll see them as our friend or foe (I'm hoping foe) sometime in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    that's non-canon RPG book stuff though.

in-game, all we know is that magic is addictive and makes you arrogant.

it took the magic irradiation from a whole mana bomb made of the focusing iris to "corrupt" jaina enough for her to turn into a grumpy woman. that was so much arcane going inside her that it changed her appearance, her hair, her eyes and her skin. how many humans have you ever seen whose appearance was changed by arcane? only one, jaina. still, how corrupted and evil does she appear to be? at most, she's now reckless and vengeful. it seems that the shock of being blown up, irradiated and altered changed her more than the arcane itself did.

arcane magic doesn't appear to be really corruptive by itself. from my point of view, it appears that what corrupts spell casters is not the arcane itself, but the act of weaving time and space and altering nature itself with the arcane by casting spells. that act leads you to an "I am a GOD!" feeling that leads to arrogance. and of course, once you feel like a god you'll want to feel like that again, so it causes psychological addiction.
    Arcane magic is corrupting but its nature. Fel magic is acutally the purest form of arcane so it's the most corupting. Arcane Magic(all sort of magic types you could think of except druidism,shamanism,light) in Warcraft have to be used carefully because it draws power from twisting nether itself. You can see in WC3's cinematic that Archimonde said that mortals seeked to control demon's power and demon's power would destroy them. He was refering to Dalaran and he crushed it with a single spell.

Deleted
    Nice theory, but where exactly do the Old Gods factor in? They can't be killed since they're outside the cycle, neither living nor dead.

You seem to think the Titans are a technological civilization and that the lesser races are experiments or essentially their robots. But the Old Gods have been shown to be immortal. Heck, some deities of Azeroth have been shown to be immortal as well, like the Ancients. Where do they factor in?

They're neither a technological civilization, nor are they robots nor experiments. They are what Blizzard tells us what they are, immortals.
    So unless you can find a way to explain them, I don't fully like your theory.

Good theory, it makes the Titans more complex than simply being Demi Gods.

I always thought the Titans are an ancient race who's inteligence evolved to such great heights that they made themselves into machines to ensure an immortal life. They order the universe because they've seen so much, and have been around for so long, that they feel the need to 'help' the other worlds. I highly doubt the Titans would have unknowingly been created by a seperate force, or that we would have heard nothing about this force
    , so a self creation seems likely.

One thing I find interesting is the Twisting Nether. It is a chaotic realm in a corner of the universe where the Burning Legion resides.Energy literally flows through it. Could this have been the source of Arcane magic?

What if the Titans were the first race to perfect planetary travel as you said, and in their journeys discovered a mysterious portion of the universe. One where, despite having no prior experiences with Magic, these proto-Titans could literally feel the energy, so they made a way to harness and use this mysterious force, and realized it empowered their machines beyond what they imagined capable. However, they realized this energy was corrupting them. Though their spirit and will power were high, the body can only hold up for so long before it fails, dragging the former two with them. So to counter this, they turned themselves into sentient machines, ala DBZ style.

But the Titans couldn't just leave the Twisting Nether be. Very quickly they realized any other race that comes into contact with this area could become corrupted. What if other races already had? So the Titans set up hounds to monitor this Magic, and set out a team to contain any races which may have already been compromised, led by Sargeras.

So the Titans set out to bring order to the universe. Races who were already well aware and using Arcane magic were labelled as demons, as thats exactly what the Titans thought they would eventually become. Races and Worlds untouched by the Arcane had measures put in place to ensure magic never came to them. Obviously some worlds and races, such as Eredar, were undiscovered.

Then the Titans came to Azeroth. Years of using the same containment method, without seeing much positive results, led to the Titans to try out a different method. Instead of keeping races in the dark from Arcane, the Titans decided, that for this one planet, the races would evolve ALONGSIDE the Arcane. Perhaps, instead of being good and becoming corrupted, these races, who would start off Corrupt, might just become good. And what made Azeroth seem so different? Trolls and Tauren. The Titans saw sentient flesh creatures, living exposed alongside Dark Magic (Old Gods), and not becoming fully compromised. Sure, the odd one would turn insane, but for the most part these races could live normal lives alongsidee magic, without even knowing it was their. Maybe, just maybe, the same would happen with the Arcane.

And than the Titans fell. They wanted to stay and watch, but the unthinkable happened. Despite being perfect machines, one of their own managed to eventually succumb to the Twisting Nether, to the Arcane. Sargeras' fall caused the Titans.to become scared. They now realized they too can eventually become compromised, so the Pantheons presence in the Universe fell silent. The Titans are now in hiding, looking for something to sole this magic problem. They need people who have learned to 100% control the evil nature.of Magic, people who can solve problems the TItans calculated would never exist. They need imperfection to save them.

They NEED Azeroth.

Arcane magic itself is not corrupt, it is neither good nor evil, it depends entirely on how it is used. The well of eternity was more or less pure magic, it created the night elves and sustained much of Azeroth's life. Norgannon practiced the arcane arts as well ,the entire blue dragon flight were beings of the arcane and they were not corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Arcane magic is corrupting but its nature. Fel magic is acutally the purest form of arcane so it's the most corupting. Arcane Magic(all sort of magic types you could think of except druidism,shamanism,light) in Warcraft have to be used carefully because it draws power from twisting nether itself. You can see in WC3's cinematic that Archimonde said that mortals seeked to control demon's power and demon's power would destroy them. He was refering to Dalaran and he crushed it with a single spell.
    If arcane was corrupting, the entire night elven species would be among the most corrupt beings in existence, since they came to be because the well of eternity in the first place and they don't seem that corrupt to me.
    Last edited by Combatbutler; 2013-04-22 at 05:39 PM.

Deleted
    Same reason as why the old gods wants to obliterate everything.
    For the lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    If arcane was corrupting, the entire night elven species would be among the most corrupt beings in existence, since they came to be because the well of eternity in the first place and they don't seem that corrupt to me.
    Yeah, the people calling Sargeras were not corrupted at all. The whole war of the ancients shows what arcane magic does to you if you are not very, very careful. The bloodelves are another exemple. Orc warlocks like Gul'dan are the next exemple. Then there are liches andvarious other necromancers. You do tiny steps towards more and more power and in the end you will call the demons to help you.

But I agree that Blizz needs to clarify this, because there is a discrepancy in the way magic is shown ingame.
    Last edited by Hubbl3; 2013-04-22 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Arcane magic itself is not corrupt, it is neither good nor evil, it depends entirely on how it is used. The well of eternity was more or less pure magic, it created the night elves and sustained much of Azeroth's life. Norgannon practiced the arcane arts as well ,the entire blue dragon flight were beings of the arcane and they were not corrupt.

Yea, I would defintely not place Arcane with Fel or Necromancy. The corrupting nature of Arcane is more dependent on the wielders will power and self control.

Its like money. Yea, a lot of people can be really rich and still remain decent and nice. But a lot more turn to dbags once they get a lot.

Yeah, the people calling Sargeras were not corrupted at all. The whole war of the ancients shows what arcane magic does to you if you are not very, very careful. The bloodelves are another exemple. Orc warlocks like Gul'dan are the next exemple. Then there are liches andvarious other necromancers.
    As I said it depends on how it is used.Not to mention the vast majority of the night elves fought to stop the legion. Arcane itself is not evil, it sustained most life on Azeroth, before the well imploded, the current world tree draws from the new wells power as well. The light could be abused in the same way if those who abuse it blieve what they are doing is righteous. Druidism can be abused as well and is not as healthy to the environment as many believe etc.

Putting the blood elves on the same pedestal as Gul'dan is quite exaggerated.
    Last edited by Combatbutler; 2013-04-22 at 06:09 PM.