Page 23 of 120 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    How much does kill time on a boss matter for personal performance on logs?
    I've been very frustrated with the fact that some hunters pull significantly higher numbers on me on certain fights, while when I compare them I'm playing mostly equal (Not entirely, but definitely close), how much does killing a boss a minute faster improve your numbers for example?

I wasn't sure where to ask a simple question like this so I figured I'd do it here, thanks in advance.

I recently changed main from resto druid to hunter, with the start of ToT. It's my first time in 7 years of WoW raiding seriously as DPS, and while I'm doing my best to learn about the class, would appreciate any criticism or help to improve.

Spec: SV
    Itemlvl: 503
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Targa/advanced
    Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/16212/ (last 2 raids are sadly not the best examples, I was raiding while sick and wasn't playing at my best)
    FD: http://www.femaledwarf.com/?setting_id=11140

Don't forget the Living Steel Belt Buckle!

Okay guy I am having serious dps issues on 10man N Horridon, I am thinking maybe it is my rotation that is a major dps loss, especially for my ilvl. I don't know so any help is appreciated.

Name: Sindariian
    ILVL: 510
    WOL: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=22352&e=22809
    ARMORY: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...dariian/simple
    Last edited by Sindariian; 2013-04-18 at 10:43 AM.

Spec Beast Mastery or Survival, depending on the boss
    Item Level 515 (Equipped)
    Expectations: Better DPS on any fight, chose Megaera as an example. Focus starved?
    Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hment/advanced
    Worldoflogs Link: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=4692&e=5173
    Femaledwarf Link: It won't let me create a user and won't let me save settings, sorry.

I often find myself focus starved and trying to regain focus. What am I wasting my focus on? My DPS is high enough that we kill bosses but for my gear level it should be much higher. But at this point it could be nearly anything. If you want to see my worst DPS, I'm the kicker on Tortos. Best DPS is probably Ji-Kun but that's cheating so it doesn't count and is still probably much lower than it should be anyway. Any help is appreciated.

See the guy below me? He did 135076.4 DPS on Jinrok while I only did 104500.3 with .2% more active time. I outgear him. I'm definitely bad and need help!
    Last edited by markdall; 2013-04-16 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Guy below me asks for help, still beats my DPS

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Spec: BM or SV depending on Situation, SV most often.
    Item Level: 507 Equipped
    Expectations: My guild seems happy with my dps but I feel as though I am lacking.
    Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...durka/advanced
    WoL Link: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/6402/

Just looking for any feedback on any glaring mistakes I am making. Just swapped to Fervor and still getting used to using it. As a little side note I am looking for a god resource (focus) bar that is clean and easy to read at a glance, ideally resizable and customizable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Tanks are bowls. Healers are milk. DPS is the cereal. If you don't have a bowl, nothing's going anywhere but where you don't want it. If your milk's bad, the whole meal is instantly ruined. If there is not enough cereal, the whole meal is a failure and you aren't satisfied.
    In short, everybody's equally important, but there's a certain order of importance.

Item Level: 483 Equipped (slightly lower in the WoL)
    Expectations: DPS is not top tier quality for ilvl
    Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...overr/advanced
    WoL Link: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/z50cebme2s07878m/

This is my girlfriend's character. We both recently got back into raiding and she went from being very good in Dragon Soul to what appears to be decent and not much better now in 5.2. It's tough to accurately gauge her DPS since her ilvl is so much below most people who use hunters as their mains, but perhaps some of you guys will know what's going wrong here.

She feels like she never has enough focus to do all her abilities, especially the crow one. She focuses on explosive shot on CD, and then black arrow on CD, then T90, T75, and then T60 in that order. She uses arcane shot only as a focus dump but she feels like she never has enough focus to need to dump it. She runs out of focus simply by using the tier abilities and ES. When compared to other hunters on Skada, they always have way more arcane shot so we're unsure how to do it.

She got how to play her spec from Icy-Veins (http://www.icy-veins.com/survival-hu...-pve-dps-guide). Is that guide accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post

This is my girlfriend's character. We both recently got back into raiding and she went from being very good in Dragon Soul to what appears to be decent and not much better now in 5.2. It's tough to accurately gauge her DPS since her ilvl is so much below most people who use hunters as their mains, but perhaps some of you guys will know what's going wrong here.

She feels like she never has enough focus to do all her abilities, especially the crow one. She focuses on explosive shot on CD, and then black arrow on CD, then T90, T75, and then T60 in that order. She uses arcane shot only as a focus dump but she feels like she never has enough focus to need to dump it. She runs out of focus simply by using the tier abilities and ES. When compared to other hunters on Skada, they always have way more arcane shot so we're unsure how to do it.

She got how to play her spec from Icy-Veins (http://www.icy-veins.com/survival-hu...-pve-dps-guide). Is that guide accurate?
    I think all the good hunters must have stopped reading/replying, but I'll give it a shot. Most of her stuff isn't enchanted gemmed or reforged. I realize it's tempting to skip doing that until you've got a certain amount of gear, but it really will help - the character audit says:

6 unenchanted items
    3 empty sockets in 2 items
    Missing Living Steel Belt Buckle
    Jewelcrafting: 2 unused Serpent's Eye
    Leatherworking: Missing bracer enchant

I'd at least do everything but the belt buckle. Hell she doesn't even have a meta gem. She's probably doing her rotation just fine. (I never learned how to tell by looking at WOL or maybe I'd be able to fix my own bad DPS.)

If it were me (and keep in mind I've posted one or two spots above you also asking for help, so I'm not an authority) I'd hit Ask Mr. Robot, configure it to skip "Expensive Enchants", use Tier 14, skip Sha-touched stuff, and then click Optimize. http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/u...jaeden/kloverr

The "Shopping list" it generates looks like:

Gems
    1 x Agile Primal Diamond
    1 x Delicate Primordial Ruby
    2 x Glinting Imperial Amethyst
    2 x Delicate Serpent's Eye

Enchantments
    1 x Accuracy
    1 x Blurred Speed
    1 x Fur Lining - Agility (Rank 3)
    1 x Greater Haste
    1 x Living Steel Belt Buckle
    1 x Lord Blastington's Scope of Doom
    1 x Primal Leg Reinforcements (Rank 3)
    1 x Tiger Claw Inscription

Though again I'd skip the belt buckle. Those things cost a ton on my server, I wouldn't bother until she gets a 496 or higher belt. For that matter, downgrade anything that seems really expensive, but put something on it. Then do all the reforges it suggests - the idea being to reach the hit cap, expertise cap, etc. In fact, she's over the cap on both and could benefit from reforging into more crit or haste. More crit and more haste will help her a LOT.

Good luck! I hope someone who knows wth they're doing replies about her log parses.

As far as I know the guide is accurate - I just assume I'm terrible at it.

The guide from icy veins is accurate.

I noticed you posted on icy veins too. I just have to say be wary of who you listen to there. I looked into the thread and they were giving tons of wrong info. They were talking about pvp gear being worse than pve gear. This is just plain wrong. It has the same stat budget (the pvp cloak is actually better than the LFR cloak in her case). To clarify pvp gear is perfectly fine and she did a good job picking which ones were best for her.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 03:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    Spec Beast Mastery or Survival, depending on the boss
    Item Level 515 (Equipped)
    Expectations: Better DPS on any fight, chose Megaera as an example. Focus starved?

I often find myself focus starved and trying to regain focus. What am I wasting my focus on? My DPS is high enough that we kill bosses but for my gear level it should be much higher. But at this point it could be nearly anything. If you want to see my worst DPS, I'm the kicker on Tortos. Best DPS is probably Ji-Kun but that's cheating so it doesn't count and is still probably much lower than it should be anyway. Any help is appreciated.

See the guy below me? He did 135076.4 DPS on Jinrok while I only did 104500.3 with .2% more active time. I outgear him. I'm definitely bad and need help!
    A couple things I am noticing:

1) Make sure you are hit capped. As BM, more so than the other 2 specs, not being hit capped is extremely detrimental. This is because your pet also is not hit capped. You are also way over expertise cap. I would advise using either a website (wowreforge) or an addon (reforgelite) to help with this.

2) Make sure you are prioritizing the right abilities. For example in your log I only see 11 kill shots. You have to kill 7 heads on Mag so at a minimum you should have at least 14 kill shots. In a similar vein to this, make sure you are using KC on CD. Over that 8 minute fight you used KC 54 times. An 8 minute fight is 480 seconds divide that by 6 seconds (CD for KC) and you should have casted approximately 80 KCs.

3) You only used 1 Virmen's bite. Make sure you use both of those potions (pre-pot before fight begins and then use the second when needed)

4) In regards to focus fire, make sure you use that when you are not using BW. The pet will gain more from the haste and do more than you will. Use focus fire after TBW wears off.

5) Make sure to keep SS up full time.

Work on these things and that should help you out. GL and feel free to message me if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by Pyroblade61; 2013-04-19 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks markdall for your reply. You're right that enchanting all of that may make a large improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    The guide from icy veins is accurate.

I noticed you posted on icy veins too. I just have to say be wary of who you listen to there. I looked into the thread and they were giving tons of wrong info. They were talking about pvp gear being worse than pve gear. This is just plain wrong. It has the same stat budget (the pvp cloak is actually better than the LFR cloak in her case). To clarify pvp gear is perfectly fine and she did a good job picking which ones were best for her.
    Yeah I pretty much disregarded that. People are still stuck in their ways in that regard. Thank you for the confirmation though that the guide is good.

Can anyone look at her logs and see? I've been comparing to other hunters and it appears she has WAY more ES than almost anyone else.

I think she isn't using her T60 talent properly. I'd have her use fervor over dire beast for survival. It would also help a lot with her rotation.

Thanks! I'll work on all these. Much (much) appreciated!

I think she isn't using her T60 talent properly. I'd have her use fervor over dire beast for survival. It would also help a lot with her rotation.
    How do you use it properly then? And do you still fervor basically on cd? It seems to me that dire beast gives more damage and more focus. Unless you need burst what's the point of using fervor?

How do you use it properly then? And do you still fervor basically on cd? It seems to me that dire beast gives more damage and more focus. Unless you need burst what's the point of using fervor?
    She should also use her jc only gems that are available to her at the moment.

I believe they hit for ~6 attacks which would give you 30 focus from dire beast. Fervor gives 100. In one of their logs it appeared to only be giving them on the high side ~2k dps in total which seems kind of low. It should be more around 4kish. Fervor and dire beast would be really close to each other at her gear level. Fervor is also much better for aoe. I just think it would be better/easier for her to use too.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I believe they hit for ~6 attacks which would give you 30 focus from dire beast. Fervor gives 100. In one of their logs it appeared to only be giving them on the high side ~2k dps in total which seems kind of low. It should be more around 4kish. Fervor and dire beast would be really close to each other at her gear level. Fervor is also much better for aoe. I just think it would be better/easier for her to use too.
    Fervor also gives your pet 100 focus, which Dire Beast does not do.

Fervor is off the GCD, Dire Beast is not. You can use Fervor at the same time as any instant ability and also macro it into high-cost ones such as Mult-Shot and A Murder of Crows.

It's also the only ability in that tier which allows you to perform a full uninterrupted Surviva opener with A Murder of Crows without casting a Cobra Shot.

Deleted
    Xaru I took a quick look at your gf's logs from Protectors Hard (I find it to be one of the best benchmark fights due to it's simplicity). Now I am by no means a expert at reading logs since i just started practicing it a week or so ago but the few things that stand out are:

1. Only 86% uptime on Serpent Sting

2. Serpent Sting was refreshed after having been allowed to fall off 9 times during the fight, it also showed 14 instances of Multi-Shot hitting something. Although a case can be made for refreshing Serpent Sting with Multi-Shot when you have a Thrill of the Hunt proc, doing so without it is to my knowledge a DPS loss. What this also means is that at about 7 or so instances you must have used Multi-Shot to multi dot two of the protectors meaning there was some meter padding going on (but I'm not here to judge, so I'll let that slide)

3. If you look at the Damage graph for Kloverr for the fight you can clearly see that there was no opener whatsoever, the dps remains between 30k-80k for the entire fight with only one reasonably big spike during bloodlust. As Hunters we are so reliant on cramming the most damage we can in the prepot+double trinket proc+stampede at the beginning of the fight to do any sort of competetive DPS whatsoever. I'd suggest looking at Rogerbrown's sample SV opener over at the forums on methodwow.com for a starting point on how to do the Survival opener.

4. Despite the fight being almost 3 minutes longer than my last Protectors Hard kill, we both had 4 Rapid Fires, giving me nearly 50% more relative uptime of it. On the same note the BL was at a pretty bad time where Stampede was probably still on CD from the opener (assuming it was even used in the opener) but that's pretty much out of your control.

5. Stampede - As far as I could tell there was only one pet summoned by the stampede and that pet was tank specced (it used thunder clap) Make sure to either fill up your stable and get the right spec on all pets, or use Stampede glyph (it's not bugged anymore). Meaning that while my stampede was about 2500dps (i think, it's hard to tell since I use the stampede glyph) Kloverr's stampede only added 141 dps. Quite the difference.

And as Tobin mentioned it is basically impossible to do a good SV opener without Fervor, learn to love it. Also Opting for Barrage over Glaive Toss for any fight where there are multiple targets is advised. Because I'm forgetful I tend to use it for single target aswell and have gotten good mileage out of it regardless. One reason being that Barrage hitting so many times in such a short window basically guarantees trinket/scope procs within the first 5 seconds of the pull.

I hope this helps. I am by no means a Hunter expert but I think looking over these things will significantly help your DPS.

15+ Year Old Account
    I feel like I could be doing better than I am, but not quite sure what I'm missing.. If anyone has the time, here is our most recent night of raiding:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-fk2nilqoc05z84a6/

Thanks

I can only look fast, your hit is way below the cap (which you are probably fixing) just something to note.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryukira View Post
    And as Tobin mentioned it is basically impossible to do a good SV opener without Fervor, learn to love it. Also Opting for Barrage over Glaive Toss for any fight where there are multiple targets is advised. Because I'm forgetful I tend to use it for single target aswell and have gotten good mileage out of it regardless. One reason being that Barrage hitting so many times in such a short window basically guarantees trinket/scope procs within the first 5 seconds of the pull.
    One thing to note about procs is the legendary meta gem. It is not typical proc and will only give you one stack of Capacitance from a spell like Barrage. Since the Lightning Charge is ~5% of our damage on a Patchwerk-style encounter, I would pretty much never allow myself to use Barrage outside of clear AoE situations.