Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Switching to Fire from Frost.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...yndis/advanced

I've been raiding as Frost due to it's reliability and lower stat requirements, but I want to make the swap to Fire. I feel I'm at the point where it'll work in my favour most of the time, but RNG will still kick me in the balls when I most need it.

I can hit 36-37% crit rating raid buffed, which I feel should be an ok amount. It's also around the amount that most people are suggesting you can make the move. I can't afford to constantly regem and reforge every other night to keep testing it in a raid format, so I'm simply asking for a bit of advice on here.

Have any others made the switch around my gear level? If so, did you find you faced any specific problems on certain fights, or was it merely just RNG issues for you? I personally want to wait a little bit longer to perhaps hit ~520ilvl before I swap over, but I don't think I can hold out that long. Frost is starting to really irk me.

I know this is being repeated over and over again, but I want more of a personal replay catering to me rather than a general statement.

Thanks in advance

Note: Feel free to point out any glaring problems or issues I may have with gearing/gemming etc. I'm open to criticism.

I've switched around 490 ilvl, im 500 atm with 33% crit self bufed and Im doing more dmg than I was doing throwing snowballs.

Your ilvl is good but you are lacking the 4pc (which is huuge). Get the 4pc asap then switch.

More importantly though:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sym View Post
    Frost is starting to really irk me.
    Why? What is it that is starting to irk you about the spec?

Also, a few reforging pointers. When you do switch, reforge consistently. I.e. don't be reforging out of crit on some pieces and into crit on others. Just max out your crit and go from there (obviously, not at the expense of hit). You could use more crit, though you'll get some of that with the new set pieces too.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are still gemmed/forged for frost. Your crit number should be plenty fine if you know how to and do maximise your HU/HS!'s and can build a good combustion etc. I'm just barely above your crit lvl currently and I feel like I do quite well. Can't quite keep up with our ret pally w/ 4 pc but overall quite competitive dps at 518 ilvl.

---------- Post added 2013-04-22 at 09:10 AM ----------

Zomgdps, Haven't seen you around. How goes it? Still bringing the ZOMGdeepz to your raid?

Deleted
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...yndis/advanced

I've been raiding as Frost due to it's reliability and lower stat requirements, but I want to make the swap to Fire. I feel I'm at the point where it'll work in my favour most of the time, but RNG will still kick me in the balls when I most need it.

I can hit 36-37% crit rating raid buffed, which I feel should be an ok amount. It's also around the amount that most people are suggesting you can make the move. I can't afford to constantly regem and reforge every other night to keep testing it in a raid format, so I'm simply asking for a bit of advice on here.

Have any others made the switch around my gear level? If so, did you find you faced any specific problems on certain fights, or was it merely just RNG issues for you? I personally want to wait a little bit longer to perhaps hit ~520ilvl before I swap over, but I don't think I can hold out that long. Frost is starting to really irk me.

I know this is being repeated over and over again, but I want more of a personal replay catering to me rather than a general statement.

Thanks in advance

Note: Feel free to point out any glaring problems or issues I may have with gearing/gemming etc. I'm open to criticism.
    I'm pretty sure you can put the extra socket from legendary quest to ToT weapons btw.

Quote Originally Posted by zomgDPS View Post
    What starts to irk me, personally, is when you accidentally throw an un-FoF'd Ice Lance when you have too much Haste (heroism) and a tiny bit of lag.

Also when you spam FB, and then you have a ton of proccs, and then it gets stuck casting FB constantly.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by zomgDPS View Post
    Your ilvl is good but you are lacking the 4pc (which is huuge). Get the 4pc asap then switch.

More importantly though:

Also, a few reforging pointers. When you do switch, reforge consistently. I.e. don't be reforging out of crit on some pieces and into crit on others. Just max out your crit and go from there (obviously, not at the expense of hit). You could use more crit, though you'll get some of that with the new set pieces too.
    Probably the wrong choice of words there. The spec is just starting to bore me now. I enjoy Frost for it's simplicity, but I've always loved Fire. As for 4set, I've just always lost out to other raiders. And with regards to reforging, I generally follow AMR, simply for ease. I had attempted doing it myself, but find that optimising my reforges to be harder than it should. Basically, I'm a moron.

Edit: Reforging into crit after reforging out of it has generally come from not being able to reforge into Haste, but not wanting to keep it as Mastery. I do realise I'm setup for Frost, as that is what I currently raid as.

Quote Originally Posted by Azlarn View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can put the extra socket from legendary quest to ToT weapons btw.
    I started playing quite late into MoP, so I'm not far enough into the chain yet. I had atrocious luck with Sigils dropping.

---------- Post added 2013-04-22 at 05:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    What starts to irk me, personally, is when you accidentally throw an un-FoF'd Ice Lance when you have too much Haste (heroism) and a tiny bit of lag.

Also when you spam FB, and then you have a ton of proccs, and then it gets stuck casting FB constantly.
    Yeah, that can be quite annoying as well. Doesn't affect me too much, but it's definitely a pain.
    Last edited by Sym; 2013-04-22 at 04:41 PM.

Deleted
    I started playing quite late into MoP, so I'm not far enough into the chain yet. I had atrocious luck with Sigils dropping.
    I can relate. Either way, OT, as posters above me said, you lack 4 piece which is a game changer. Your Ilvl is O.K. I guess, I'm only 2 ilvls above you (mostly because of my fail weapon and belt) and I'm doing pretty well. Since you're no where near the legendary meta gem seeing how you don't have the socket yet, frost isn't as great, so my advice would be go for it, pray to the RNG gods and when they fail you try not to curse too much or break a mouse/keyboard.

I can relate. Either way, OT, as posters above me said, you lack 4 piece which is a game changer. Your Ilvl is O.K. I guess, I'm only 2 ilvls above you (mostly because of my fail weapon and belt) and I'm doing pretty well. Since you're no where near the legendary meta gem seeing how you don't have the socket yet, frost isn't as great, so my advice would be go for it, pray to the RNG gods and when they fail you try not to curse too much or break a mouse/keyboard.
    The main thing stopping me is having terrible RNG on progression fights. We're only 2/13 HC atm, and I don't want to feel like the weak link if I have a bad night or something similar. While Frost obviously isn't as strong, it puts out reliable damage. Something which of course is really nice to have.

Deleted
    The main thing stopping me is having terrible RNG on progression fights. We're only 2/13 HC atm, and I don't want to feel like the weak link if I have a bad night or something similar. While Frost obviously isn't as strong, it puts out reliable damage. Something which of course is really nice to have.
    What boss are you going for next? If it's Tortos, go fire, like, right now, even if it's not for standard raiding, do it for just that one boss. Same goes if it's council next for you.

But you're right, horrible RNG is VERY frustrating especially on progression; people will notice and might think it's your fault.

You also need to change boots and head ASAP, preferably to tier head.
    Last edited by mmoc2fdc1312bd; 2013-04-22 at 05:20 PM.

Yeah, that can be quite annoying as well. Doesn't affect me too much, but it's definitely a pain.
    Any logs where I am frost, there's always at minimum one or two (sometimes more) un-FoF'd Ice Lances >_<

I can't even begin to imagine how many wasted proccs I lose from Frozen Orb or Frostbolt as well as Nether Tempest... I'm just meh at Frost, but at least it's more consistent DPS I guess
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

What boss are you going for next? If it's Tortos, go fire, like, right now, even if it's not for standard raiding, do it for just that one boss. Same goes if it's council next for you.

But you're right, horrible RNG is VERY frustrating especially on progression; people will notice and might think it's your fault.

You also need to change boots and head ASAP, preferably to tier head.
    Oh trust me, I'm aware they need to be changed. Everytime I raid, they don't drop. Everytime I miss a raid, they drop. Sod's law really. We're currently working on Iron Qon, with Tortos most likely being after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bemlikanz View Post
    I've switched around 490 ilvl, im 500 atm with 33% crit self bufed and Im doing more dmg than I was doing throwing snowballs.
    You were doing something horribly wrong as frost then

This. Shit just gets silly with the legendary meta and lust.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmeh View Post
    This. Shit just gets silly with the legendary meta and lust.
    Hell I had an issue with it back in 5.0 as well!

Not AS bad mind you, but it was still irritating.

15+ Year Old Account

That sounds more like a PEBKAC issue Sure it happens with haste procs or when under BL. But if you're having these problems constantly, you might wanna adjust ability-queuing in your client settings...
    Otherwise idk... maybe don't spam your abilities so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzan View Post
    That sounds more like a PEBKAC issue Sure it happens with haste procs or when under BL. But if you're having these problems constantly, you might wanna adjust ability-queuing in your client settings...
    Otherwise idk... maybe don't spam your abilities so much.
    Agreed. It only happens to me during meta procs or lust, and an absolute fuckton during lust with meta procs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmeh View Post
    Agreed. It only happens to me during meta procs or lust, and an absolute fuckton during lust with meta procs.
    I spam my keyboard like a madman (always did), and its even worse now because i have a mech one with MX Reds (which are suuuuuper sensitive) and this never happened to me.

Like, ever. So yeah, i'm sorry but this is a PEBKAC issue . (or ability queueing in wow)

Deleted
    Oh trust me, I'm aware they need to be changed. Everytime I raid, they don't drop. Everytime I miss a raid, they drop. Sod's law really. We're currently working on Iron Qon, with Tortos most likely being after that.
    Hmmm, Tortos seems like a better boss to go after rather than Iron Qon though. From my experience, Iron Qon heroic is significantly harder than Tortos (healing wise at least, for DPS it's not that hard.)

Hmmm, Tortos seems like a better boss to go after rather than Iron Qon though. From my experience, Iron Qon heroic is significantly harder than Tortos (healing wise at least, for DPS it's not that hard.)
    We had an hour or two on Tortos, but it just didn't seem to go down too well. Most of the raid group wanted Ji Kun down first, as we felt it was worth a lot more to get that on farm first. Tortos will most likely be our next boss after Iron Qon, if we get it down soon.