Page 1 of 2
LastLast

DKDiseases: Replacement addon for DKDots is now Live

Since early 5.1 and the advent of the Festerblight spec, many Death Knights have become familiar with DKDots. Written by Simu of EU-Grim Batol (who based it off AffDots), the addon was a must have for maximising disease damage- particularly for Unholy Death Knights. It tracks Crit, Mastery (for Unholy/Frost), Attack Power and % Power Gains (i.e. things like Tricks of the Trade or Primal Nutriment on Ji-Kun) to inform players when the best time to (re)apply or extend diseases is.

Unfortunately, 5.2 saw the addon begin to malfunction somewhat- randomly crashing or not loading in combat. Simu has quit the game, which is why there haven't been any updates to it as of yet.
    Fortunately, #Acherus's own Kuren (Kilrogg-US) has resurrected the project with a new addon written from scratch: DKDiseases. The addon can be found available for download here: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/dkdiseases

In terms of both functionality and aesthetics, it operates identically to DKDots. Testing thus far has simply shown it to be more stable and less prone to crashing in 5.2. If you have been experiencing issues with DKDots and are looking for a replacement, then this is the addon for you.
    If you're a newcomer and have never heard of either addon, now is a good time to try it out. I personally consider such trackers to be absolutely necessary for anyone looking to play Festerblight correctly.

Please take the time to thank Kuren for his hard work- the community owes him one.
    @MagdalenaDK
    Plaguebearer

<Magdalena> There's really no way to say "There's a two hour long video of me on the Internet", without it sounding dirty is there?
    <Mionepony> Especially not if it's you...

10+ Year Old Account
    WTB Polished up DocsDebugRunes, Mag make it happen.

OT: You think this is worth for 2H frost, for that BP?

Quote Originally Posted by Muraza View Post

Oh yes, that would be wonderful.

Deleted
    looks good but is there currently any way to have it display as a timer bar? The option for "bar texture" is in there but can't see an option to turn it into an actual bar.

Cheers

Deleted
    Am I the only one to find it really strange to hear that DKDoT's is buggy/crashy? I haven't had a single issue with it so far but it's great to know that there's an alternative since it's no longer being actively developed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Damyou View Post
    Am I the only one to find it really strange to hear that DKDoT's is buggy/crashy? I haven't had a single issue with it so far but it's great to know that there's an alternative since it's no longer being actively developed.
    I have had one or two occasions where DKDOTS has disappeared... Doesn't happen often.

I've had it happen many times, the sucky thing is you don't notice it isn't working until you pull the boss and hey where's my dots addon, so you just wing it that fight. i haven't had it stop mid fight. i look forward to trying out this new addon.

I have never had a problem with mine, I have mine hidden until combat and it always shows up. I'll keep this addon in mind though should DKdots ever actually become buggy like the OP said.

I see it being worthwhile for every DK spec in some situation. For 2h specifically, the point at which sacrificing an Obliterate to refresh Blood Plague when more than 6 seconds are left is... Very high (and usually unreachable). With that being said there's multiple uses for the addon in different situations.
    @MagdalenaDK
    Plaguebearer

<Magdalena> There's really no way to say "There's a two hour long video of me on the Internet", without it sounding dirty is there?

Is it possible to make the disease icons border-less like they were in DKDots? I personally find Blizzard's icon borders to be jarring and ugly.

All issues and suggestions for improvement should be made here: http://www.wowace.com/addons/dkdiseases/create-ticket/

Please don't use this thread or IRC to spam Kuren with bug reports or requests for changes.
    @MagdalenaDK
    Plaguebearer

Quote Originally Posted by Magdalena View Post
    All issues and suggestions for improvement should be made here: http://www.wowace.com/addons/dkdiseases/create-ticket/

Please don't use this thread or IRC to spam Kuren with bug reports or requests for changes.
    Just saying you shouldn't have made this thread pretty much saying "look at this addon its shiny new and works come get it" then. Because you know people will.

I find it funny though that after having an "update" on dkdots today, it broke and I had to go get this addon.

Quote Originally Posted by Uglytoes View Post
    Is it possible to make the disease icons border-less like they were in DKDots? I personally find Blizzard's icon borders to be jarring and ugly.
    I guess you use something like bartender or similar anyway, but there's also http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/masque-clean-icons to make original icons look better...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    Just saying you shouldn't have made this thread pretty much saying "look at this addon its shiny new and works come get it" then. Because you know people will.
    And there's now a link for where to appropriately report problems or issues. Putting them up here is useless.

Also, don't equate requests for cosmetic changes with bugs. The addon "works" fine, and it might surprise you to learn that getting it up asap and publicising its existence was more for the numerous requests we got in IRC and on EJ, rather than polishing its customisability.
    @MagdalenaDK
    Plaguebearer

Wow I don't know how I missed the disclaimer about what is and isn't a valid response to this thread... oh wait. Also, calling the aesthetics the same as DKDots is misleading.

Do you guys know any addon similar to this one that can track the Spriest dots potency?

With the Lei Shen trinket it will be a must!

Thx

Deleted
    Already been done, here you go: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/compact-runes
    It also seems to have the functionality of DKDots/DKDiseases integrated into it, and no, I'm not the author, just stumbled upon it a while ago, when I got tired of DDR bugging sometimes.

So I'm a bad dk and just started using this addon after I saw this post, but it will be interesting to see the improvement for 2h frost. I was doing my best to keep my diseases strong tanking LFR last night and it seemed to work very well. Plus I plan to try festerblight on HM Jin'rokh Thursday.

Deleted
    So I don't know what the situation is with the author but DKDoT's has been updated and it now provides a 'strike' icon.

While there is no info on the curse page, not even a mention of the function it seems to (as blood) alternate between a HS and BB icon according to AP. Does anyone know if it's somehow trying to calculate if BB would be a better use of a rune over HS?

Deleted
    So I don't know what the situation is with the author but DKDoT's has been updated and it now provides a 'strike' icon.

While there is no info on the curse page, not even a mention of the function it seems to (as blood) alternate between a HS and BB icon according to AP. Does anyone know if it's somehow trying to calculate if BB would be a better use of a rune over HS?
    Was updated about a week ago, and yes it's a very simple implementation of "should I reapply diseases or use that rune on an attack". It's the same for unholy where it shows a SS or PS icon...

The problem with the icon is that I don't think it does any "smart" calculations along the lines of "how long is left on current diseases/is outbreak off cooldown/am I AOEing/do I have rolling blood" etc. It simply looks and sees whether or not your newly applied diseases would do more damage and advises you to re-apply them (this is not always going to yield the best results, obviously).

I'd suggest you turn the icon off (from the options menu) as it's just going to be misleading, you can draw your own conclusions already from seeing how powerful your new diseases would be.

It's good to see that DKDOTS is being updated. DKDiseases, functionality-wise is good but it's still in the early stages of development IMO and DKDOTS still offers more customisation options (the option to view as a timer bar, for example)