Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Ever have a crafter make the wrong item?

This happened to me the other day. I gather the 33000gold worth of mats. I tell the blacksmith I need the haste/mast plate boots not realizing there are also hit/mast boots. BS makes the wrong boots and im left with a huge mistake. Is this something a GM can help with such as refund the mats etc.? I know it's a long shot but wandering if this has happened to anyone else. I've tried to ah them for several days with no luck, would be happy to recoup my huge loss.

edit due to unintended confusion. I am a ret pally hence I wanted the haste/mast boots. I told the crafter this. What he made were the hit/mast boots not the haste/mast boots. As soon as I got the boots I noticed this mistake. He told me he didn't know there were 2 different plate dps ilvel 522 boots. And that's when I learned about the other type of boots hit/mast. I didn't mean that I changed my mind and wanted them instead, I meant that I didn't know he had that pattern and if I had known I would of made it more clear which boots I did need. Problem has been solved, boots sold at ah for a profit. Thanks for all the replies
    Last edited by tawney; 2013-04-24 at 03:48 AM.

I usually craft everything myself and things I don't I buy at an AH with no middle man involved, not because they've ever crafted the wrong item but because I've had people log off/run away with my items and gold. I know in those cases there's usually a friendly GM that would refund the items but as for it being wrongly crafted I'm not sure.. there's no harm in making a ticket to see for yourself.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

wondering*

Infracted.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-04-24 at 12:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends who's fault it is for making the item. If you tell X crafter to make Y boots and he gives you Z, you can ticket. But if you tell him to make Z boots and he makes Z boots, it's not likely you'll get a GM to refund. You can try opening a ticket and explaining this all as an honest mistake. They are similar in names so confusion can stem from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

10+ Year Old Account
    wow. you had a verbal agreement for a certain item. it is worth ticketing a GM to see. if i craft something that expensive i make absolutely sure about what im clicking and what the buyer is asking for. i check and double check, and then check one more time. if i make the mistake and craft the wrong item then i feel obligated to fix it. if the buyer makes a mistake and orders the wrong item, well its their fault at that point, i asked multiple times.

also for smaller items like gems, i will use my personal stash to make the proper cut regardless of who was at fault. id rather have a happy.. and returning customer, then someone who feels slighted and warns others not to ask me for anything.

anyways, i say yes definitely put in a ticket, whats the worst that could happen? they say no?
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Deleted
    When I entered a ticket as the crafter (guildmate wanted agi, I miscrafted int), I got the mats refunded in my mailbox. The problem is that you're the recipent, and since you requested the haste/mast boots in a chat with the crafter, there are chat logs to prove that he crafted what you asked for. So even if he was to lie in a ticket on your behalf (hypothetically; I don't condone this), they'd know the transaction was clean from looking at the logs and see through the lie.

Although, you could always try just telling the truth (or even twist it a little bit and say you linked the wrong one after misreading the stats, unless you clearly stated "haste/mast" in your chat) and hope for the best. When it's huge amounts of gold, GMs tend to be a little bit more forgiving with mistakes like that. But I'm afraid there's no way to know if it'll work out for you.

Deleted
    sell the boots for 40k, buy new mats ? is that not an option.

I made the wrong epic for someone once in Cata, just swallowed the cost and bought mats to make the right one, and sold the mistakenly made epic.
    I lost a little money, but not much, and in the end it was my fault for not being careful.

I've had a GM undo a thoughtless craft once - I didn't realize it was BoP, and neither did the friend who was crafting it for me.

It's worth a try. If they can help you, they will, and if they can't, well.. at least you still have an item worth the cost of the mats, even if it takes a while to sell it

thanks for all the help. Just logged in and found out they sold for 40k gold!..I had been trying to sell them all week with no takers. I'm stoked since I actually made a few grand in this mess. I didn't think a Gm would help me out, now I'm glad I didn't try. Next time I will make damn well sure they make the correct item.

Crafting the wrong item -- even if it's a case like yours, where really buyer error is at fault -- is the nightmare scenario that haunts me every time I craft something on request. I'm so glad yours sold.
    The Devil Wears Transmog
    World of Warcraft Fashion for the Discerning Adventurer

Yes I have, I wanted a DPS plate belt. Got a Caster plate belt made -_- I clearly said to the guy I wanted the DPS belt. He ended up refunding the cost of my mats then tried to sell the belt for 3x what he gave me which pissed me off and made me wonder if he did it on purpose... To my great delight it didn't sell. I saw him relisting it for weeks and I'm not sure if he ever sold it. All I know is last time I saw it listed it was going for alot less than he gave me for screwing up the crafting...

I still remember who it was and will never get him to craft anything for me again

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbot View Post
    Crafting the wrong item -- even if it's a case like yours, where really buyer error is at fault -- is the nightmare scenario that haunts me every time I craft something on request. I'm so glad yours sold.

How is he at fault? The crafter made the wrong boots; it was an honest mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargas View Post
    How is he at fault? The crafter made the wrong boots; it was an honest mistake.
    I tell the blacksmith I need the haste/mast plate boots not realizing there are also hit/mast boots.

He asked for Haste/Mastery and received Haste/Mastery, not realizing Hit/Mastery boots were also available. It's an understandable mistake, but the fault here is the buyer's, not the crafter's.
    The Devil Wears Transmog

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    GM will likely refund your stuff and besides they see your entire chatlog / whispers everything that you wanted in the first place so there's not even a need to SS the logs yada yada.

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 12:23 AM ----------

I tell the blacksmith I need the haste/mast plate boots not realizing there are also hit/mast boots.

He asked for Haste/Mastery and received Haste/Mastery, not realizing Hit/Mastery boots were also available. It's an understandable mistake, but the fault here is the buyer's, not the crafter's.
    That's pretty dumb like if the person said Exactly what you wanted and you were derp enough to actually NOT read it then It's actually the crafters fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Apathy - View Post
    GM will likely refund your stuff and besides they see your entire chatlog / whispers everything that you wanted in the first place so there's not even a need to SS the logs yada yada.

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 12:23 AM ----------

That's pretty dumb like if the person said Exactly what you wanted and you were derp enough to actually NOT read it then It's actually the crafters fault.
    I... don't understand.

The guy asked for Haste/Mastery boots. He received Haste/Mastery boots. He then went, "Oh, crap, I wanted Hit/Mastery." And then the crafter, presumably, went, "Dude, but you asked for Haste/Mastery. I'm not a mind-reader, bro."

How is that the crafter's fault?
    The Devil Wears Transmog

Its best to always ask for something to be crafted by name, not stats. And also ask for a profession link and link back what you want so the crafter knows exactly what you want made.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Its best to always ask for something to be crafted by name, not stats. And also ask for a profession link and link back what you want so the crafter knows exactly what you want made.
    Don't I know it. The number of times people have asked me for "the Stam enchant" or suchlike. Such a pain trying to decipher what the heck they mean. *facepalm*
    The Devil Wears Transmog

The guy asked for Haste/Mastery boots. He received Haste/Mastery boots. He then went, "Oh, crap, I wanted Hit/Mastery." And then the crafter, presumably, went, "Dude, but you asked for Haste/Mastery. I'm not a mind-reader, bro."

He asked for haste/mastery and the crafter made hit/mastery. Its really a shared fault. The buyer didnt state explicity enough what he wanted and the crafter didnt get a clarification if he noticed that there were 2 similar boots.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I... don't understand.

The OP specifically asked the guy to make haste/mastery the crafter fucked up and made haste/hit like what else do you need?