Buying all mats for jewelcrafting?

Hey guys, I noticed buying all the mats on my server isn't that expensive. (http://www.wow-professions.com/wowgu...ing_guide.html)

Is it possible to just buy all the mats that's listed Approximate Materials Required for 1-600 on this website, and then just level it up from 1-600 with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Vetly View Post
    Hey guys, I noticed buying all the mats on my server isn't that expensive. (http://www.wow-professions.com/wowgu...ing_guide.html)

Is it possible to just buy all the mats that's listed Approximate Materials Required for 1-600 on this website, and then just level it up from 1-600 with that?
    Yes it is possible but only if you are prepared to throw money at the AH. All my years playing this game has taught me never to buy from the AH.

Too many people manipulate prices on old world mats. They will buy out entire markets and relist them for 300-500% mark up. I often find looking via trade to be the best. Often times I've had folk that were sitting on a ton of old mats and just wanted to get rid of them to create space. These folks often give it to you for free or at a significant discount.

A more convenient method I've found is pay someone to farm all the materials for you. Often on High population realms people will sell profession levelling kits. These again are often 2 times more expensive than all the mats you would have bought from the AH. They are doing it from a business point of view.

The farmers are often levelling their minning or herbalism or are sitting on their ores they have farmed or simply looking to make quick cash. This has always worked for me.

You could probably get away buying mats from the AH till around TBC. TBC and WTLK mats get expensive if bought from the AH. The best thing is to find a farmer and work a deal with them.

profession leveling kits are by far the best choice.

personally i have bought 2 from people i know and they have always worked. you can go buy the guides online which are accurate as well, however 1) it will cost you more since people know others are using those guides(for example at some point copper bars were going for 5g a pop) and 2) it will cost you extra if you screw up some skill point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetly View Post

2 days ago I've leveled JC up to 597 mostly from the AH (ore ,gems) and roughly spent 6k on it ...

If you buy from the AH, you have to look good if you do not pay way to much. I suggest starting with buying out the mats that are very cheap, there is no money loss here. Always check if ores arent cheaper the bars or gems (and vice versa). If you have a miner (85 is fine), you can mine some of the expesive stuff yourself, wrath can be very expensive, but it is easy farmable within wintergrasp in 30 minutes. Also, eternals will probably be very expensive, check the AH for cheap motes or Frozen Orbs.

TBC mats will be hardest to farm, i suggest if you can find the mats for a reasonably price in the AH, go for it. You will make back the money you had to spend faster if you buy the mats, instead of farming all day.

Deleted
    use the leveling guide as a rough shopping list. I like to do it as cheaply as possible so I use:
    1. What I have on existing characters.. I hoard a lot so have many items, but you could have stuff from leveling.
    2. Buy whats cheap from the ah. Normally its best to gather mats over a period and it cna be expensive if someone else is trying to level as well.
    3. Either go and mine the missing elements an understand which bits come from where. Use prospecting if need be.

Gathering mats yourself is ccheaper and especially if you do it slowly over time. It also helps you understand how the profession works. Make a note of he really expensive items and consider selling them when you reach 600.

Availability on the AH is server dependant. More fun to diy than waste money on a leveling kit.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to powerlevel JC you are better off buying stacks of ores and prospect them to get the gems you need. Especially the vanilla part, the 2-300 region can be a huge money sink and a pain in the ass if you buy the gems but if you buy the ores you can sell the leftover gems and even make a profit out of it.

Mind you, it still needs a lot of investment, it took me 6k gold the other day to get it 1-600, though I got most of it back
    Talking to Majordomo before we are all ready will give you a quest: [60][R]Looking for guild!

Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    use the leveling guide as a rough shopping list. I like to do it as cheaply as possible so I use:
    1. What I have on existing characters.. I hoard a lot so have many items, but you could have stuff from leveling.
    2. Buy whats cheap from the ah. Normally its best to gather mats over a period and it cna be expensive if someone else is trying to level as well.
    3. Either go and mine the missing elements an understand which bits come from where. Use prospecting if need be.

Gathering mats yourself is ccheaper and especially if you do it slowly over time. It also helps you understand how the profession works. Make a note of he really expensive items and consider selling them when you reach 600.

Availability on the AH is server dependant. More fun to diy than waste money on a leveling kit.
    Another thing you should do while following a prof leveling guide is to buy the materials as you need them, not all at once before even beginning to level the prof. You will often find that there are patterns, recopies, that are cheaper to make because of volatile Ah prices for old world stuff. The guides are made assuming certain mats are less than others but its not always the case.

If you have time to plan your leveling, you can put together a shopping list and buy the mats over a week or more to grab what you can at bargain prices. There are often a few cheap buys for everything but not enough for you to level. If you stockpile them when they are cheap, it will cost you less, but it will take time to get everything you need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    profession leveling kits are by far the best choice.
    Not really, they are always overpriced as you get charged a lot for convenience. I always use the guides you find online and buy stuff as you lvl up. I spent about 15k on jc a few weeks ago (full/high pop server).

Completely reasonable if your server has a strong enough economy to support it (some do, some don't).

If you want to make sure you don't overpay I would recommend getting an addon that shows you the AH value of items in their tooltips so you can easily see what is a good deal and what isn't. If something's marked up over the normal price by too much just hold off buying that mat and check back a little later. Patience with it can save you quite a bit of gold.

I personally use TradeSkillMaster_Wowuction for this and makes it nice and easy.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer