15+ Year Old Account

Mage/Rogue still rule like TBC times?

Hey, been playing with my Mage since TBC, we quit during Cata and now playing again. Seems like we can't take down anything decent with a healer.
    Is it the gear issue (not full malev yet), or the comp is just bad?

Thanks < 3
    Natural Selection: Each time you say "Worgens" as a plural form of the word "Worgen", you have a 2/4/6% chance to be eaten by a grammar nazi.
    Tier 2 talent of the Grammar-specced "Player" class.

It's your gear. It is definitely still viable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lexonio View Post
    Hey, been playing with my Mage since TBC, we quit during Cata and now playing again. Seems like we can't take down anything decent with a healer.

Thanks < 3
    Anything with mage and rogue is pretty much rank 1 viable. Get better gear and more skills.
    Collect points and achievements

It's both your gear and the comp itself has a pretty high skill-cap. It requires a fair amount of coordination and CC to score a kill against dps+healer. A LOT of your game's outcome also relies on your opener.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    All you gotta do is, peel the rogue to get restealths and do openers untill you land a kill.

its played the same way it has been played since TBC

Sap healer
    Put out so much preassure on the other ennemy that the healer has to trinket sap otherwise his partner is dead (or healer AND partner blows all defensive cd's)
    reset (which is very easy as mage rogue )
    repeat, they will have no cds/trinkets ( in an usual game of course )

Quote Originally Posted by lexonio View Post

Thanks < 3
    It's harder to play now. You gotta be good with your CC you can't kill someone in a sap anymore.
    this game sucks

Quote Originally Posted by rektlol View Post
    you can't kill someone in a sap anymore.
    lol

mage and rogue burst are arguably the highest bursts in the game right now
    my mage can kill someone in a deep freeze alone if the ennemy doesnt trinket
    so rogue + mage can definitely kill someone while the healer is sapped

Deleted
    Not much have changed really, sure you need to chain more but thats pretty much it.

either you are doing something wrong or it is def your gear.
    mage is by far the only class that can solo healers. with rogues coming next but not even close to how easy mages can do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    Not even close about the burst. Several classes have higher burst from what I've seen. Warriors, enh shamans ret paladins to name a few.
    No. Not really. Mages and rogues timed burst is pretty much of the charts.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cexspa View Post
    mage is by far the only class that can solo healers. with rogues coming next but not even close to how easy mages can do it.
    You gotta be kiddin' me... like unholy dk's couldnt solo healers o_O they DESTROY them!

Deleted
    It'll be your gear, pretty much any comp works in 2s because no one takes it seriously anymore and hasn't since start of Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    Not even close about the burst. Several classes have higher burst from what I've seen. Warriors, enh shamans ret paladins to name a few.

Do I need to take a video to show you how absurd mage burst is ?
    my mage alone can kill a healer in a deep, so imagine a rogue with blades + dance + trinket + smokebomb on top of that

also, enh shamans ? rofl

warrior might be the only one close to mage burst, but out of cooldowns warriors deal no damage

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marv333 View Post
    also, enh shamans ? rofl

warrior might be the only one close to mage burst, but out of cooldowns warriors deal no damage
    Don't laugh at enh shamans, they actually have pretty high damage right now (though so few of them are pvp geared) - but it's more pressure than burst.

Nothing compares to Fmage burst of course.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Mage/rogue is not an easy 2s comp to play. You will be able to get away with killing enemies in the opener up to a rating of 1600, then you'll have to learn how to survive, reset, and land well-coordinated/well-timed CC chains. It's kinda funny seeing a bunch of QQ whenever there's a thread remotely related to mages. I bet most of the commentators in this thread wouldn't get past 1650 with this comp today.

Quote Originally Posted by marv333 View Post
    its played the same way it has been played since TBC

Sap healer
    Put out so much preassure on the other ennemy that the healer has to trinket sap otherwise his partner is dead (or healer AND partner blows all defensive cd's)
    reset (which is very easy as mage rogue )
    repeat, they will have no cds/trinkets ( in an usual game of course )
    This sort of tactic won't work above 1100 MMR.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Don't laugh at enh shamans, they actually have pretty high damage right now (though so few of them are pvp geared) - but it's more pressure than burst.

Nothing compares to Fmage burst of course.
    Enha burst is indeed nothing to scoff at but in reality it is 2 spikes of burst (with Storm Blast) with an 8 second interval and just good sustained damage in between. Doesn't really come close to mage burst especially since mages can pull that trick every 30 seconds and shamans have to wait another 3 minutes.

Oh it's very viable. Hunter Rogue/Hunter Ret might be slightly better, but it's definitely among the best double DPS comps IMO.

---------- Post added 2013-04-25 at 02:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cexspa View Post
    The only class? I'm a DK and I am VERY insulted!

Edit: JK just saw the Necrotic nerf, yeah GGs
    Last edited by Senathor; 2013-04-25 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    This sort of tactic won't work above 1100 MMR.
    You'd be surprised, my alt is 1850 mmr or so in 2s and we sometime wins games like this
    as I said, this would be the perfect scenario, but it does happens