Poll: Would You Play a DK Healer?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Would You Play a DK Healer?

I am sure we have all thought about this at some point or another no matter how far we may have actually gone into the thought process, but I personally have been iterating in my head for a long time now that if Blizz was to add a 4th spec to the game the first thing they would discuss to giving Death Knights a healer option. It wouldn't be as far fetched as people think because we already have skills that allow healing.

Let me know what you guys think.

THE LORE

Death Knights already possess nearly infinite powers in the world of death, disease, and life. We are able to bring the dead back to life and use various resources to drain life force from friend and foe allowing us to peruse even greater power. We now discover and learn to control a new Dark Power left behind by the mighty Lich King known as the Necrotic Power, giving us the ability to summon far more powerful minions and use new forbidden spells that can now heal allies other than the great Death Knight himself.

THE SPEC

Necrotic is an ancient power allowing Death Knights to gain access to an arsenal of powerful dark spells that can be used to invigorate his allies in various ways but at a deadly cost.

Armor Type - Plate
    Main Stat - Intellect
    Weapon Type - Staves, Daggers, Wands , 2H Axes, 2H Mace
    Resources - Runes, Runic Power, Dark Energy
    Position - Melee Healer
    Mastery (Necrotic Energy) - Every time an ally is healed by a Death Knight spell while in Necrotic Presence, you have a 5% chance to reduce runic power cost of all healing spells by 25% for 5 seconds.

RESOURCES

Along with their new Necrotic Power, Death Knights have gained access to a new type of rune called the Necro rune. Along with their standard runes, Death Knights may also take advantage of this new rune type that will allow use of various new abilities learned from the new dark necrotic power. Along with the new necro rune, Death Knights now also have Dark Energy will function similar to Holy Power for Paladins and Shards for Warlocks.

Runes - Runes will function normally. The only addition here is the Necro Rune with will allow the use of the new spells and abilities for the healer role.

(Necro)

Runic Power - Runic Power will act as the main resource for Necrotic Death Knights as I felt that mana wouldn't really have fit here. Runic power will be generated from a variety of ways including attack enemies as normal but also by using cool downs. Intellect from Plate will increase the effectiveness of Death Knight Spells while in Neco Aura.

Dark Energy - Over long periods of time, Dark Energy is formed inside the Death Knight from casting spells. The more Dark Energy the Death knight accumulates, the stronger the abilities that use Dark Energy become.

Necrotic Grip (3 DE) - Dark Tendrils instantly grab all friendly party or raid members places them to another spot within 15 yrds. (10m CD)

This would be a very amazing ability that would cost all 3 dark energy to use but would be useful for when raids need to move to specific spot to stack for healing or avoid damage, aka Ragnaros seeds, or Decimation on Chimeron in BWD.

VoiD Zone (3 DE) - Shifts all party of raid members within 10 yards to a different dimension for 5 seconds reducing all physical and magical damage taken by 15-20-25%.

Would basically function as a the Death Knights raid cool down just like any other healer would have.

Mystic Valkyr (3 DE) - Summons two powerful Valkyrs that fly above dealing "x-x-x" damage to all enemies within 20 yards and healing party or raid members by "x-x-x" with the lowest health. Last 30 seconds.

ABILITIES

The abilities that were listed up above were just ideas of ways to use the Dark Energy resources. All of them are amazing abilities but only one can be used every 5 minutes, (the amount of time it takes to achieve 3 Dark Energy) meaning you have some good use of "choice" when it comes to what would be useful to your situation. Do you want to do more damage or help heal the raid, keeping in mind that the Necrotic spec is a melee healer/damage dealer.

These following abilities are samples ones that will be baseline when you spec into the Necrotic specialization as a Death Knight.

Necro Presence - While in Necrotic Presence your runic power is increased to a maximum of 300 and increases all runic power regeneration by 40%. In addition, you may now generate Dark Energy to use powerful necrotic powers. Intellect now increases effectiveness of all healing done by 25%.

Death Coil - While in Necrotic Presence, your Death Coil can now be used to heal a single ally within 30yd for "x" also putting a shield around them absorbing all incoming damage for "x". (gcd)

Defile - Creates a small pool of necrotic energy beneath the Death Knight's feet healing all targets inside of it for "x" over 10 seconds. The pool expands for each ally inside of its necrotic pool up to 15yrds. (45s cd)

Sacrifice - Fill your summoned minion with Necrotic Energy causing him to explode healing all allies within 10yrds for "x" by the Necrotic Energy. (2m cd)

Dark Siphon - Heals a friendly target by "x' (2.5s cast)

Necrotic Siphon - A large heal that heals a friendly target by "x" at the cost of 5% of your own life. (3s cast)

While I didn't begin to scratch the surface with cool ideas for spells and abilities, I'm sure you guys get the idea. While the chances of blizzard giving Death Knights the ability to heal are remote at best, I still think it could happen and is reasonable.
    Last edited by LCDArcade; 2013-04-27 at 12:39 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Concept looks nice atleast, so i would!

Deleted
    imo DK's could have been heals/dps/tank hybrid...
    your idea is cool

How do you change the skill icon all into the same shade of purple?
    I don't think it would work out as all healers now have mana, which the DK doesn't have... and how would Spirit affect DKs?

Deleted
    I'd play one. These spells sound awesome!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JKinTMC View Post
    How do you change the skill icon all into the same shade of purple?
    I don't think it would work out as all healers now have mana, which the DK doesn't have... and how would Spirit affect DKs?
    same as haste perhaps? regenerate runes faster!

Deleted
    Would I play a DK healer ? yes and no.
    If the specs is well designed and provide fun gameplay I would, if not I would not.
    Ultimately I will always focus more on game mechanics and game play rather than lore or other stuff.

Oh and by the way Necrotic Grip has a lot of potential as a big troll spell, gotta be careful about that, you need a CD on a spell like that, trolling or not and even with a cost.
    Last edited by mmoc29a7c2362f; 2013-04-26 at 09:43 AM.

Deleted
    i think the idea is cool but mass grip a whole raid blizz wont go for that maybe just the one person like a priest cos griping a whole raid would be op with the healer spec the runic bar could turn in to mana like the monks when you pick the healing spec and the for getting your runes you have to do some dps like the way holy power work for pallys at the moment it would be nice to do a little mellee damage and heal at the same time plus also gives more the one thing to do in a raid and too see some two handed swords with healer stats plus i think it would be a cool class to play

Deleted
    I think the idea could be made to work and I would personally love to see a dk healing spec. It would still tie in with the whole 'spellknight' theme which I think keeps us separate from warriors.

I like the ability ideas but i'm not sure how the whole lack of mana thing would work out. Spirit increasing rune regen or giving some sort of base runic power generation and then having all your standard healing spells cost RP could work out (a-la fistweaving if the monk were in WW spec).

It's a great concept but i'm not sure if blizz would go for a full time dps/heal combo. From their design choices it seems like they want players to be able to choose to be 100% heals or 50/50 heals/dps instead of forcing them to be 50/50 without the option of 100% heals when they need to. Without that choice, DK's would always be a weaker healer because they would have to be balanced around the dps they would bring to a raid/party as well.

A plain healer wouldn't really engage me.

If there was room for a support spec in WoW breaking the holy trinity it would be an amazing spec to have a shielding/zone controlling death knight. It also doesn't really fit with the whole theme of a Death Knight. Slowing AoE, non-passable Bone Walls, AoE and single target Bone/Blood Shields, removing/transferring magic debuffs, Chains that deal damage depending on the distance of targets. So mostly defensive buffs and damaging debuffs but no enhancing abilities and all of that on the expense of personal damage. Almost impossible to balance and hard to give a place in the current metagame but I'd love something like that...

I would most likely have a healer spec on my DK because I do like healing and am not a big fan of switching characters but I wouldn't want my DK of all characters to be a healer. It just doesn't fit the class.

that is fucking awesome! really well thought out and exciting. this is something my guildies and i have discussed many times, although no where near to this degree. blizzard, give this man a damn job!

Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    Weapon Type - Staves, Daggers, Wands , 2H Axes, 2H Mace
    My idea:
    Weapon Type - 2H Axes, 2H Mace, Polearms
    Runeforging -> Name - increase all healing done by X% and converts all STR from weapon to INT

Concept sounds somewhat interesting, however one point caught my eye: the complete absence of mana. With that said, I doubt Blizzard would ever introduce a healer that wasn't based on mana and I know I wouldn't like healing on one.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Do the same for Death Knight what for Monk.

Convert Runic Power into Mana (Monks Energy into Mana)

10+ Year Old Account
    let me heal you by placing my enormous 2h axe in your skull...oh you died...dam wrong presence

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks pretty cool, I would try it out!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    let me heal you by placing my enormous 2h axe in your skull...oh you died...dam wrong presence
    kinda remind me of Pala tank forgetting to use Righteous fury while tanking.

I honestly never understood people's desires to essentially add in an additional role to what the lore / concept is.

This really goes back to my belief that Paladins should have never been healers to begin with. Bear with my for a second, and you'll hopefully understand what I mean... Historically, Paladins have been Holy warriors who can also provide minor emergency healing. They have never been a 'dedicated healer'. World of Warcraft, for whatever reason has decided to redefine paladins and add them in as a 'dedicated healer'. This of course frustrates me to no end. These are the epitome of avenging warriors, on a holy crusade to bash evils head in and hold the line to protect those who are not righteously empowered. They have been reduced to healers...

Now, let's consider what death knights are supposed to be... Essentially Corrupted, fallen paladins controlled and empowered with demonic shadow powers. So... You want to take something that is essentially a shadow paladin of doom, and remove the 'I am a bad-arse death knight who will bash your head in' aspect. I don't want my Death knights to become something they're not just because it helps fill an extra role. We are not healers, and we should not be.

That's just my opinion, take it how you like.

I'd give one a go, would love to see how things worked out if that was the case.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Deleted
    I was kind of sceptical when I opened this thread, but these are some really fun ideas. I'd most likely play one.