Poll: Would You Play a DK Healer?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Went into this thread with a "oh here we go again" type attitude, ready to facepalm.

However, I was wrong - your ideas, frankly look amazing. I'd totally welcome this as an addition to the DK arsenal. The reason I like these ideas so much is probably because it wouldn't be another "stand and heal shit" type class but a support role that could still deal moderate damage while bringing some interesting and useful raid cooldowns. Summoning healing valkyrs, exploding minions to heal people, healing (or maybe shielding, disc style) with death coil.

Love it - well done.

@OP

Nice idea, but personally I'd never play one. For me, there's a reason for the "death" in Death Knight; Death Knights are killers, plain and simple. I like the idea of summoning Valkyrs though, very nice.

Deleted
    imo, this just wont happen. you'll have dk's needing on plate gear, rings, trinkets & weapons just because they can, saying "oh, im needing that for os". you see it all the time now with ppl needing dps gear when they're tanks. if they do that bs to people who have been playing healers for years, there will be a massive outcry.

15+ Year Old Account
    actually some reasonable ideas, would probably give one a go before long if it went live =)

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Totally support this.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    imo, this just wont happen. you'll have dk's needing on plate gear, rings, trinkets & weapons just because they can, saying "oh, im needing that for os". you see it all the time now. if they do that bs to people who have been playing healers for years, there will be a massive outcry.
    Like this is not possible already especially with Paladins. all plate gear belongs to them anyway.

with that said i would love to play one. and i must say its well thought out so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    The pre-WotLK Mind Flay animation. 2nd biggest reason for rolling a Priest, biggest obviously being Shadowform. Anyone who uses Glyph of Shadow should reroll Hunter, filthy blasphemers.

A lot of thought into this, nice. I normally wouldn't heal, but for sure give this a try.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Succath View Post
    Like this is not possible already especially with Paladins. all plate gear belongs to them anyway
    as my dear mum used to say when i was growing up...2 wrongs dont make a right lol

While I don't necessary support the idea of them giving Death Knights a healing spec, I would probably use it if it was added.

Death Strike:
    Strikes a friendly target, healing him/her for 200% weapon damage + mastery absorb.

Heart Strike
    Strikes 5 nearby friendly targets. Healing them for an amount based on 10% of your maximum health per sec for 3 sec.

Blood Plague
    A plague that heals a friendly target over time.

Frost Feaver
    A chilling disease that heals a friendly target over time.

Blood Boil
    Boils the blood of friendly targets, healing them for c shadow damage and an additional 50% over 10 sec per diseases on a friendly target

Dancing Rune Weapon
    2 min CD
    Conjures a rune weapon. Striking nearby friendly targets and healing them for 50% of what you heal.

Rune Tap
    1min CD
    Heals yourself for 30% of your maximum health

Rune Strike
    Strikes a friednly target, healing him/her for 150% weapon damage.

Hysteria
    Transfers dark enery to nearby targets withing 15 yards. Healing them for x shadow over 14sec

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrien View Post
    snip
    Sorry dude but that's just "everything a dk does now but it would heal instead". Prefer the OPs ideas that make it a support role with sparingly used/interesting mechanics
    Last edited by mmoc0cdb03e806; 2013-04-26 at 01:55 PM.

Awesome idea. I would play it. And the lack of mana could be handled like Monks (Spec and presence stance) or when a druid goes from bear/Kitty to Healer?

Ok, 2 things...

1st, I gotta hand it out to you, mate, the idea itself is well rounded and seems like you've gone through some lenghts of hard thinking to come out with all that. Grats for the effort at least...

BUT

Quote Originally Posted by delyian View Post
    Now, let's consider what death knights are supposed to be... Essentially Corrupted, fallen paladins controlled and empowered with demonic shadow powers. So... You want to take something that is essentially a shadow paladin of doom, and remove the 'I am a bad-arse death knight who will bash your head in' aspect.
    Could have just written something in a different set of words, but it would sound the same. Death Knights are *evil*. Not evil as in the "bad guys", but they are walking around doing stuff through the infusion of unholy powers. They cheat death (blood, in this case) by bending their power to leech out life essence from enemies and revitalizing their own. Its not like they can create healthy energy to infuse into others or some crap like that.

The concept itself is interesting, I admit it, but even if you take Delyian's lore explanation for Paladins into account, at the very least, Paladins actually have access to holy powers of good bullsh*tty nonsense... To use that to heal someone other than themselves is just a matter of learning how to channel that holy power into others.

By that account you could argue that since Death Knights are "kind of undead", and that they bend unholy evil demonic powers to heal themselves while taking life away from enemies, that they should not get healled or benefit in the same way from holy powers. Ohhh... Yeah, you forgot the part where they are not undead (they even have a specific talent to allow them to *become undead* for a short duration, in which I always thought they should NOT be healed from holy stuff), they just don't have access to mystic forest powers or special water powers or healing voodoo powers and most certainly to holy powers. Therefore, its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too farfetched to allow them to be healers.

Oh well. Good concept, too farfetched, no freggin' way.

Deleted
    To those of you saying it's unrealistic.

Our blood worms heal people
    In the past rune tap could heal the raid
    Mark of blood used to heal people
    Our death coil can shield allies
    AMZ can shield allies
    Horn of winter buffs the raid

I don't think it's as far fetched as people think - Blizzard control the class that they have created, if they liked the idea you could guarantee they'd fit it into "lore" somehow.

Deleted
    This is pretty epic

Doubt I would play it as MS ever, it sounds fun tho.

Very interesting concept. I'm afriad however I'm a bloody terrible healer, so would not try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by vmagik View Post
    To those of you saying it's unrealistic.

Our blood worms heal people
    In the past rune tap could heal the raid
    Mark of blood used to heal people
    Our death coil can shield allies
    AMZ can shield allies
    Horn of winter buffs the raid

I don't think it's as far fetched as people think - Blizzard control the class that they have created, if they liked the idea you could guarantee they'd fit it into "lore" somehow.
    These are all abilities and concepts that almost every class has. Now, granted there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - but if DK's suddenly become able to heal next you'll be having warlocks, rogues, hunters, and warriors healing too - because they all have similar abilities. Every class has some form of self-healing / emergency shielding / buff / etc...

Now... If you were to focus on those abilities and make using them your primary role - you could in theory create a new role that would essentially be a synergist or augmenter. A role that is NOT a healer, but instead someone who provides additional support to other classes, while still maintaining their position as a DPS. These individuals would be the ones primarily responsible for major cooldowns - whereas the main DPS would not have access to these abilities.

That concept would obviously never happen in WoW. Blizzard has tried tremendously to adhere to the 'bring the player, not the class' concept - and would not be adding an an entirely new role that people were essentially forced to bring.

---------- Post added 2013-04-26 at 11:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mrmallacath View Post
    Could have just written something in a different set of words, but it would sound the same. Death Knights are *evil*. Not evil as in the "bad guys", but they are walking around doing stuff through the infusion of unholy powers. They cheat death (blood, in this case) by bending their power to leech out life essence from enemies and revitalizing their own. Its not like they can create healthy energy to infuse into others or some crap like that.

The concept itself is interesting, I admit it, but even if you take Delyian's lore explanation for Paladins into account, at the very least, Paladins actually have access to holy powers of good bullsh*tty nonsense... To use that to heal someone other than themselves is just a matter of learning how to channel that holy power into others.
    I've been accused of being long-winded.

But yes... what I was going for was this --> Death Knights are *evil*. Not evil as in the "bad guys", but they are walking around doing stuff through the infusion of unholy powers.

I'd be down with this. That or a 4th caster spec/Unholy becoming a caster spec.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by delyian View Post
    These are all abilities and concepts that almost every class has. Now, granted there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - but if DK's suddenly become able to heal next you'll be having warlocks, rogues, hunters, and warriors healing too - because they all have similar abilities. Every class has some form of self-healing / emergency shielding / buff / etc...

Now... If you were to focus on those abilities and make using them your primary role - you could in theory create a new role that would essentially be a synergist or augmenter. A role that is NOT a healer, but instead someone who provides additional support to other classes, while still maintaining their position as a DPS. These individuals would be the ones primarily responsible for major cooldowns - whereas the main DPS would not have access to these abilities.

That concept would obviously never happen in WoW. Blizzard has tried tremendously to adhere to the 'bring the player, not the class' concept - and would not be adding an an entirely new role that people were essentially forced to bring.
    Yeah, I agree to an extent - We're not going to see bards and whatnot any time soon. The examples I provided were directed more towards the people saying "DKs don't have any place as a healer, they're evil/unholy/lords of undeath etc", whereas we've actually had quite a few helpful/healing abilities throughout our various iterations. Of the examples given by the OP only a few are direct healing spells and some could be altered to be protection or shielding abilities. Having healing/shielding done by sacrificing minions or blood worms, summoning valkyrs, placing marks of blood on enemies, creating helpful defile or void zone areas, increasing the amount a friendly death coil could shield, transferring health from enemies to the raid etc could work within the boundaries of the established "holy trinity" because it wouldn't be massively different to what fistweaving or atonement healing bring to a raid.

Essentially you would be part healer, part DPS - jack of all trades, master of none. It would also give pro guild groups the chance to drop a dedicated healer for quicker kills or to meet enrage timers and good/average guilds the chance to meet some healing shortfalls during some encounters. Either way the class wouldn't be essential. Anyway, great idea!
    Last edited by mmoc0cdb03e806; 2013-04-26 at 04:08 PM.

If it was done well, and done right, I can't see an issue with every class having the ability to tank, heal or dps within their tree's.