Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    To anyone thinking I was serious with my previous post..

.. I was being overly dramatic.

Yes, I want Ethereals badly - but if you enjoy ogres more and Blizzard does end up making them playable, more power to you, I say. Different strokes, etc etc.

Not too sure about what Blizzard'll do. Will they return to races exclusive to one faction, or do they think the 'neutral' system is superior?

I can't really take an Alliance ogre serious. They're so much of a Horde race that it'd be a sin to make Alliance choose to play them.

Whereas Ethereals would fit well with the Alliance. The Alliance already has the draenei, and they could be the Alliance version of Goblins, deciding to join a faction but still being ( albeit a little more shady and subtle than goblins) money-grubbin' space mummies.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post
    I hope not. Maybe in an expansion with a fitting theme, but say next expac is a BL one (not saying it is, just hypothetical), I wouldn't want Blizzard to make ogres a playable race with a Legion-theme.
    Ogres have almost as big a connection to the Burning Legion as the Orcs. Remember that Ogres were part of the Horde during Warcraft 2.

Still, their origin is a bit weird. I know that two-headed Ogres were created by Gul'dan, but what about the normal Ogres? They weren't part of the Horde during Warcraft 1, yet they were seen in the Deadmines because they captured/romanced Blackhand's daughter. But in TBC we see Ogres actually are offspring of Gronn, so how exactly did they get to Azeroth without the Horde? And where do Ettin fit in?

I do believe Ogres would fit into a Burning Legion expansion though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    I know they want Sargeras to be the final boss at Level 100
    Are... are you a wizard?
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

If ogres were a playable race for cata I wouldnt have quit for about 7 months. Yes an ogre would have made me have that much more fun

Quote Originally Posted by ViridianCC View Post
    Not impossible, but I wouldn't say likely.

Most likely.

What the fuck? The Arrakoa have no connection to the Alliance.

What the fuck? The Wolvar have no connection to the Alliance.

What the fuck? The Vrykul are enemies of the Alliance and actively despise Humans as their deformed children.

What the fuck? A historically neutral dragonflight joining with the Alliance?

What the fuck? A totally made up race?

What the fuck? The Ethereals have no connection to the Alliance.

Contrary to popular belief, you can't just make up or choose whatever shitty race you think is 'cool' to assume to be a future Alliance/Horde race. Guess what? Every playable race we have in game has been established since Warcraft 3 or further, so... Hate to be a big let-down, but they're not gonna implement some stupid weaboo fan-race with no prior lore backing, nor pick a race that has absolutely no history with the Alliance or Horde aside from one-off villains made to swell enemy ranks in an old expansion.

Uh yeah, they can and will if they want to. It's called progression. You can't stick to the same old lore as it's bound to burn out. You need to create new lore and with new lore comes an assortment of new races and classes. See: Draenei. While you had Lost Ones/Krokul/Eredar, the fact that there were Draenei was totally pulled out of the blue and people complained, even when they had no right to.

So please, stop thinking that somehow, you're Blizzard's mouthpiece.

---------- Post added 2013-04-26 at 04:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Ogres have almost as big a connection to the Burning Legion as the Orcs. Remember that Ogres were part of the Horde during Warcraft 2.

Still, their origin is a bit weird. I know that two-headed Ogres were created by Gul'dan, but what about the normal Ogres? They weren't part of the Horde during Warcraft 1, yet they were seen in the Deadmines because they captured/romanced Blackhand's daughter. But in TBC we see Ogres actually are offspring of Gronn, so how exactly did they get to Azeroth without the Horde? And where do Ettin fit in?

Yeah, sorry. A little oversight there. Excuse me for it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh yeah, they can and will if they want to. It's called progression. You can't stick to the same old lore as it's bound to burn out. You need to create new lore and with new lore comes an assortment of new races and classes. See: Draenei. While you had Lost Ones/Krokul/Eredar, the fact that there were Draenei was totally pulled out of the blue and people complained, even when they had no right to.

So please, stop thinking that somehow, you're Blizzard's mouthpiece.

Who's to say I'm wrong or right? But I've just shown an obvious pattern and, of my eight responses, six were in total violation of it.

There has never been a race added that was a total asspull like "Humanoid tol'vir"

Just a case of fanwank thinking random mobs are so cool they need to be the focus of the story as opposed to established groups that have been integral since, oh, day one.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Who's to say I'm wrong or right? But I've just shown an obvious pattern and, of my eight responses, six were in total violation of it.

There has never been a race added that was a total asspull like "Humanoid tol'vir"

Just a case of fanwank thinking random mobs are so cool they need to be the focus of the story as opposed to established groups that have been integral since, oh, day one.
    Of course humanoid Tol'vir is a bit silly, and a bit unnecessary, as that'd be removing the most important part of being a Tol'vir, but calling it "fanwank" is a bit too antagonistic here.

And it would help if you tried to formulate things a little bit less "matter-of-factly".

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course humanoid Tol'vir is a bit silly, and a bit unnecessary, as that'd be removing the most important part of being a Tol'vir, but calling it "fanwank" is a bit too antagonistic here.

And it would help if you tried to formulate things a little bit less "matter-of-factly".
    Some people need to be antagonized so they get it through their skulls how stupid I think their opinion really is.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Deleted
    That's not really news. And whenever they decide to put in Ogres as a playable race they're going to redesign the males as well. Ogre females can't be that hard to figure out. There are fanmade models that look great.

Last edited by mmocedbf46d113; 2013-04-26 at 05:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post

Ogre soldiers, in the lore, were commonly used in the Horde (I guess they werent around during Warcraft 1 because, well, it was primarily Orcs vs Humans game)

2 headed Ogres are essentially what happens to ogres when you corrupt them with fel energy. Orcs become Fel Orcs, humans become demonically empowered, Trolls become dire trolls(?), Draenei become broken/eredar, whereas Ogres? They grow an extra head.

So yea. Ogres were enslaved by the Orcish Horde before the first war. They were used as common soldiers, with 2 headed ogres becoming more important spellcasters. Ettin? hrmm.. I think thats a race that got shoehorned in, and lore added to later? Kinda like in the latest transcript, where the Mantid "your gods are not your gods" was actually a typo, and supposed to be "our gods are not your gods"
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

It's not about coolness. It's about, and let's all say it with me, viability.

Ethereals have...

Little to no known culture
    Like Pandaren.

"Mercenary" attitude (IE, no faction loyalties)
    Like Goblins.

No physical form (And this one is fucking important).
    This is an Unbound Ethereal.

What does an Ethereal look like with no gear? A glowing ball of orange plasma shit? Or do they have all those wraps on? Do they wear armor over their wraps?
    I'd assume that "naked" is a glowing mummy. Looking at NPCs like Commander Ameer, armor is clearly worn over the wraps.

How many people will have had an attachment to a race that played a bit part two expansions ago and look traditionally 'cool'?
    Of the five races added in expansions, only goblins were a significant presence in the world before they became playable, but the playable Cartel was a whole new creation. Pandaren had less going for them than ethereals would.

Compared to races with established cultures, of whom have represented major villains for expansion arcs (Cho'gall anyone?), who have been established parts of the Horde since Warcraft II and are a known ally with a population too small to fill a playerbase (Brackenwall Ogres).

6.0. Rexxar the Mok'nathal leads a clan of Ogres into the Horde post the events of the Siege of Orgrimmar to rebuild the shattered Horde.
    This is all a solid foundation for adding ogres. But the Alliance would need something to counter, and ethereals could easily be in contention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ethereal are a very advanced race, and are even more fond of neutrality than the Goblins. You'd have to come up with some crazy story on why they would ally themselves with the alliance.

On the other hand, if a Tinker class is implemented, it would go well with their race.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://ladydamonia.deviantart.com/
    Thanks to this user for the awesome hair styles for the Female Ogres.
    Also the males would have like pony tails to and some nice good beards to.

Ogres should be Monks as well and have classes to make the Horde good in its choices, kinda like: http://www.wowpedia.org/Ogre
    On the site they can be Rogues, but I think it would weird for them to be ninjas with their big sizes, but what Blizzard can do is have the male Ogres seven feet and have the female Ogres six feet and a half to make sure they tower over other races, but not the proud Tauren.
    Also if Blizzard made Ogres playable I would be the most happiest person around!
    Last edited by rcshaggy; 2013-04-26 at 07:49 PM.
    For the Horde!

Contrary to popular belief, you can't just make up or choose whatever shitty race you think is 'cool' to assume to be a future Alliance/Horde race. Guess what? Every playable race we have in game has been established since Warcraft 3 or further, so... Hate to be a big let-down, but they're not gonna implement some stupid weaboo fan-race with no prior lore backing, nor pick a race that has absolutely no history with the Alliance or Horde aside from one-off villains made to swell enemy ranks in an old expansion.
    The Draenei had zero connection to the Alliance before crash-landing on Azeroth. The Pandaren had zero connection with the Alliance before the Mists evaporated. So saying "there's no connection" is pointless when they can add a connection if they need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtree View Post
    Like Pandaren.

Like Goblins.

This is an Unbound Ethereal.

I'd assume that "naked" is a glowing mummy. Looking at NPCs like Commander Ameer, armor is clearly worn over the wraps.

Of the five races added in expansions, only goblins were a significant presence in the world before they became playable, but the playable Cartel was a whole new creation. Pandaren had less going for them than ethereals would.

This is all a solid foundation for adding ogres. But the Alliance would need something to counter, and ethereals could easily be in contention.
    Thanks for taking the time to say the things I wanted to say but didn't because I couldn't formulate it properly.

Why not introduce like half-ogres? We could elaborate on Rexxar's lore, perhaps have him become a savior of his people (analogous to Sunstrider, perhaps?) I really do not know much lore about them, so if there are reason that they wouldn't work, please feel free to correct me. (and i didn't read all 5 pages of this thread, if someone already suggested them.)

They could take this opportunity to give Rexxar the same skeleton/model as the new half-ogres, instead of just a large brown orc. Give him the honor he deserves. Heck, Rexxar could play a role in the Siege of Orgimmar, and only set up the next expansion more.

I'm not sure what other race they could give to allaince. Preferably something new (or much more polished). I wouldn't want to see Naga as a race (unless they had feet)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    I know they want Sargeras to be the final boss at Level 100, so... if next expansion were to be the BL again, not sure how we'd achieve that.

UNLESS, they want TWO more expansions to be about the Legion.

I wouldn't mind that, TBH BC was awesome.
    100 is just a number, Blizz has said time and again. There is no reason to think that WoW will "end" at lvl 100 or that Sargeras is around the corner. Blizz will continue dropping expansions as long as it turns a profit, not a day sooner.

Ogres and high elves should be added with the new models. Not as an expansion feature, but as a repair patch since both of them "should" have been in since vanilla.

Ogres too big? Tauren and draenei say hello. Ogres comparable in size to tauren would be fine.
    Ogres with two heads? Easy, what ever helm you equip gets rendered twice on each head. One slot, two images. Easy.
    Female Ogres? If the gamebreaker for you is that Blizz released a PC race with females you don't wanna bang, then you're kinda pathetic.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Deleted

I don't see ogres being playable. Female Ogres? LMFAO

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

People are missing the big point here.

Horde playable Ogres would likely be Stonemaul.

Which means we get to see more Rexxar.