Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeActionTess View Post
    Why isn't this happening in the west yet?
    A few reasons. A lot of the KR stuff is handled differently.

Also the Asian WoW subs are a lot more unstable than EU/NA. There were global sub losses last expansion, but the vast vast majority of them were in the Asian regions. So the company that manages WoW over there, and Blizzard, are more likely to cater to the demands of that region to get the WoW population stable there.

This was a needed thing in that region, response to it will likely be positive. In the western market however when an MMO starts merging servers it's seen as a sign of doom as most MMOs start merging servers when they've failed. You can already see a good example of that in this thread with people posting things like "So down from total 26 to only 12, wow." - It doesn't matter why the mergers happen (People flock to a handful of servers and leave the other servers more or less empty." - It's seen as a sign of failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Because a lot of people don't want it?
    Yeah that lonely crazy gnome dancing naked next to Varian in an empty Stormwind sure doesn't want to be disturbed. Assuming there's even 1 player there. Makes me sick that Stormwind on Skullcrusher EU is completely empty. Are names really the best argument you naysayers can come up with against merging servers?

I'm pretty sure the dead server thread on the EU forums is one the largest threads atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    It's about time they do the same for EU and US, but Blizzard probably sees it as a sign of weakness and won't do a thing, and/or retarded players (aka whining vocal majority) playing in dead servers are actually content with playing alone despite the game being a fucking MMORPG.
    MASSIVELY. ONLINE.

You can tell a server is dead by simply looking at Wowprogress realm's page, any server under 4000 is dead.

Can't help to feel like a second rate customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boblet View Post
    Well if you truly have been using it since vanilla I feel you'd have very little competition. Otherwise you should probably pick more original names if they mean that much to you.
    If all your friends call you by your original name even when you are on your alts, yes it does make a difference.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaber2 View Post
    If all your friends call you by your original name even when you are on your alts, yes it does make a difference.
    Not really. People that I've known since TBC still call me by my character name from then, despite 1) they know my real name and have met me in person and 2) I haven't actually had that character name since about half way through WLK. They can still call you that even if you don't have the character name anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    This was a needed thing in that region, response to it will likely be positive. In the western market however when an MMO starts merging servers it's seen as a sign of doom as most MMOs start merging servers when they've failed. You can already see a good example of that in this thread with people posting things like "So down from total 26 to only 12, wow." - It doesn't matter why the mergers happen (People flock to a handful of servers and leave the other servers more or less empty." - It's seen as a sign of failure.
    I keep seeing this mentioned every time this subject is brought up but I have yet to see any concrete evidence that server merges are detrimental to the overall number of players. I would imagine that announcing that you have lost a million players in three months is far more damaging than merging a few servers yet WOW has survived that. It is unlikely that players would quit over server merges and I doubt many non-players would actually care if this was to happen and of the small amount that would how many of them are potential customers?

Aren't there some strings in the game that indicate it could happen/be on the horizon for US/EU?
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

One particularly succinct comment on the blog post - "Repair the barn after the horse is stolen. Almost empty."

There's only 2 servers left that could even qualify as Medium pop in Korea now. The rest are dead.
    http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/kr

They will milk the US & EU players the same way and not do anything until it is too late.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    They will milk the US & EU players the same way and not do anything until it is too late.
    Most would argue its already too late...

By that i mean the players left playing Wow on dead realms have already shown they wont quit if theyre treated so badly and ignored, so Blizzard doesnt have to change anything cos those players will continue to sit on their dead realms for a few more years paying their subs.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeActionTess View Post
    Why isn't this happening in the west yet?
    Seriously. Gaming is on a different lvl in Korea then in most places. As a result of that it is harder for companies to get away with things that the rest of the globe just puts up with. While NA and EU are dumping endless rivers of money at Blizzard to fix a population issue they don't need to do it.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    PLEASE, PLEASE let this happen to EU servers...

Beeen recruiting for our guild 1,5 month now and got nothing

Hopefully a constant stream of ppl slamming the Blizzard forums and Q/As with this topic will give it some momentum.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    A thing to note is over in the East server merges do not have anywhere near the bad PR connotations that they do over here and as such a company would be more likely to use them as a solution to problems. Server populations are an absolute farce now in WoW where the majority of players are clustered on a few servers and quite a few don't have enough 90s to put together even a 10 man raid team together. The situation has moved way past "Oh, but I'm awfully attached to this name". I can't think of one single good reason that a person could up with with justifying a server with 9 level capped players logged in total at peak hours; other than "server merges are bad just because".

Deleted
    Why is there always one guy who claims Blizzard is not in charge of WoW in Korea or in Taiwan, every time someone reports Blizzard has been officially solving population problems with merges and free transfers away from dead server, undermining their own excuses when they say they don't want to merge here due to naming conflicts, but really just want to milk paid transfer fees and safe face?

Quote Originally Posted by Spunkii View Post
    How will they handle characters with the same name?
    Quote Originally Posted by Apathy - View Post
    Easy with different ID's if anything example -
    Apathy#11121
    Apathy#11771
    Apathy#12345
    first one to log in first wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    rofl go read the Blizzard posts from 2011 to now. All the exact same statement.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Giving up all my damn names just merge that ***king server burning steppes eu with something else its just unplayable.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they ever do merge realms my mains name is unique globally though plenty of my alts might get renamed.
    I have no problem giving up the alt names.